Bit of a Blog : Solstice : Auckland – Fremantle – Sydney : February 14th 2016

NorbertsNiece

We've stopped. Have left dining room. Am in Sky lounge. Crew dismantling barriers around helipad.

My previous post.... I missed the word 'star' in the crew announcement. Have just been informed that means heart attack....

Edited by NorbertsNiece

I'm really enjoying armchair travelling along with you and reading your observations, specially as I'm going on the Solstice in April. 1st time on S class after 2 M class cruises.

Could I ask a favour of you please - when you go to the shops to check out the L'Occitane question, would you mind checking if the watch store onboard sells Anne Klein watches, and if so, if they have a decent selection of AK women's watches? I bought one 3 years ago on a Royal Caribbean ship and wanted to buy another on Solstice if they have.

Many thanks and happy cruising

Caron.

Hi Caron,

I had a word with the manager of the watch concession and he told me they are having a table sale tomorrow of AK watches...... they do the same each cruise..... my understanding is they regard these as 'fashion' watches and have the 'special' sale once a cruise. I'll see if I can get a look at what they have when I'm out and about tomorrow.

Back from Dunedin. Lovely city. Plenty of pics in due course.

I understand we berthed early due to a medical emergency; do hope whoever was involved is ok. No bio security check on the pier this morning. Picture ID check coming back absolutely insistent that a passport photocopy was not acceptable from one of our UK group members. She had been told by Guest Services it was sufficient. Given a thorough dressing down by the Head of Security and allowed through.

We're in Dusky, Doubtful and Milford Sounds tomorrow. Then two sea days before Sydney. Will try and bring pics up to date during this time, satellite permitting.

Thanks for all your encouragement and for reading along. Much appreciated. Need to head up to Sky Lounge and check for albatross x

Must have got Mr Grumpy :rolleyes:

I had no photo ID and they just asked for my cabin number and checked me off from a passenger list!

The carrying of photo ID was better highlighted after Dunedin we noticed - others obviously also were caught out.

Just heard over PA : this announcement is for crew only. Starcode starcode starcode x3 deck 14 sky lounge fire zone.....

Now as it happens I am back in my room with my Elite glass of wine (I know!!) so whatever has occurred has nothing to do with me.

There was a church I'd noticed in Port Chalmers that I wanted a pic of so I'd come back to my room to change after boarding. Stepped out of the doors on deck 14 and it was bucketing with rain..... this is why I need a window right? I head aft and begin to resemble the drowned rat one hears much of..... there's supposed to be a cheese and wine event on the lawn but everyone is trying to shelter under awnings covered in blankets..... I grab my pic and head back down and across to the Sky lounge.

I grab a glass of red and a seat forward of the lounge to the starboard side.... the place fills up with expectant albatross viewers. There's not one to be seen. I wait a while then head back to my room to recharge my camera before dinner with said glass of red firmly grasped in hand. Crew member at entry just wishes me a good evening. I share the lift down with the Dunedin pilot and thank him for his work. Still enough battery in camera to grab a pic :D

The same happened to us, but we already had our shots from earlier in the day. However, the wind had dropped by the time we left so they were all back at their nests. No wind - no fly!

You can clearly see them on the headland though and I managed to take some lovely nesting shots.

The same happened to us' date=' but we already had our shots from earlier in the day. However, the wind had dropped by the time we left so they were all back at their nests. No wind - no fly!

You can clearly see them on the headland though and I managed to take some lovely nesting shots.[/quote']

Feel free to share one here ;) I clearly wasn't looking in the right place.

I didn't get an invite to the helipad for the Sounds tomorrow..... I did, however, get a lovely glass of red wine courtesy of the Head Waiter this evening when I returned to finish dinner alone earlier as I'd left my smuggled glass on the table when I went upstairs earlier and it had been cleared away..... they did look after my bottle of water though lol

I'd requested a GF tiramisu for dessert this evening..... it was soooooo good..... Told them they can choose what I dessert on tomorrow.

Outside Oceanview still giving two for one specialty restaurants today.

I am up so late struggling to download the 'Daily' for tomorrow. Major fail.

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Shame about the Albatross which reminds me again going forward when you guys leave Newcastle Australia on your last night of the B2B one again needs to be on the Starboard side at the Harbour Heads as the locals fired a large smoky cannon to farewell us. It wasnt made public until a couple of minutes before it happened

Mike

Wish there was a "like" button, like FB ;)

Have this instead...... feel free to copy to your laptop / PC.... can't remember from where I nicked it!!

Likebutton.jpg

We have been rocking and rolling all night....... there are many creaks and groans from the infrastructure around my room.....

Currently in the Tasman Sea :

True Wind 18Kts SE

Ship speed 17kts

Pressure 30.067 in Hg

Ok I'm giving that up..... it's changing continuously.... maybe we're slowing down.....or not....

Outer decks closed. Arrival in Sounds put back over an hour. Wonder if my friends will get to the helipad later. Oceanview Cafe packed.

Sky lounge is probably best place for Dusky and Doubtful sound it can get very cold outside but outside in oceanview is probably best for Milford Sound. Hot tea and coffee is available in Sky lounge anyway

Have witnessed people forcing the sliding doors to go out on deck..... I'm being good and am sitting in Cafe al Bacio. The CD was announcing revised times over the PA and some French speakers just couldn't resist talking all the way through. They were the unwitting recipients of a 'Sssshhh' from me.

Let's see how this goes...... going to continue posting pics until we reach the Sounds.

DSCN6336.jpg

DSCN6337.jpg

DSCN6338.jpg

DSCN6339.jpg

DSCN6341.jpg

DSCN6342.jpg

We are told tales of cannibalism, forced facial tattoos and other gory details.

DSCN6344.jpg

'The display 'cabinet' for trophies..... of heads.....

DSCN6345.jpg

DSCN6346.jpg

DSCN6350.jpg

DSCN6351.jpg

The National Weaving school..... I hadn't realised that more pictures were corrupted in this upload..... so will post what I have and when conditions improve will delete the corrupt ones and reload.

DSCN6357.jpg

Pretty much all of the village itself are useless. I'm so sorry. There will be a flashback at a later date.

Edited by NorbertsNiece

They were the unwitting recipients of a 'Sssshhh' from me.

They probably didn't understand English and didn't care if you did.

I had some friends on a cruise out of China some time back. He said during the Muster Drill, all the Chinese where talking so loud you couldn't hear the announcement in English. But when they switched to Mandarin, they all got quiet so he started singing very loudly!

Sky lounge is probably best place for Dusky and Doubtful sound it can get very cold outside but outside in oceanview is probably best for Milford Sound. Hot tea and coffee is available in Sky lounge anyway

Dusky Sound. Done. Spent most of it out front on Deck 12. Unfortunately there was noise pollution from the gym and no commentary at all. John-Paul (Hotel Director) told me later that people in the spa had complained about public announcements interrupting their treatments. Sun only came out at the end. Missed seeing a pod of dolphins early on.

The Sound is lovely. Lush. Waterfalls. When the gym was persuaded by a.n.other to switch the music off it was serenity personified. Up on 12 was very windy but we had seats. Was told whilst invitation only on helipad any who really made an effort could actually go there (Housekeeping Manager). Have been invited do join friends in an aft stateroom to join them for Milford sound late afternoon.

Edited by NorbertsNiece

Thank you so much for all your detailed reviews and information!!! We have booked a similar cruise in 2018 and after reading your posts I sure wish it was sooner! I am celiac so I have also really appreciated all of your gluten free information - will definitely ask for tiramisu on our cruise (btw - they can make bananas foster gf and it is delicious) :)