Whose sick of hearing about the Anthem incident

NOSaints1

..AND never lost satellite connection, we were able to watch the entire Super Bowl and had internet thru the storm...

I think that helped a lot us back here on land comfort ourselves a little bit, if the reports had stopped for a few hours, we all would have been more worried, for what little that is worth.

Actually, I would like to read some of the firsthand accounts from people onboard, but I'm having difficulty locating them by spot checking through roughly 100 pages of people NOT on the ship telling them to basically quit their whining. I can't understand the hostility toward someone else's experience. I see Winslow's post above and am glad that you felt that it wasn't so bad. But as far as I can tell, the vast majority of posts are from people who weren't there who are instead telling people who WERE there how they should have felt and what they experienced. Personally, I would like to see a thread of firsthand experiences in which everyone else who wasn't onboard could perhaps keep their strong and baseless opinions to themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I know it was sad what happened, but it's over all you hear is about the Anthem no one died/injured just move on with your life.

Why do you keep clicking on the threads and then start complaining? Just step away from the threads......

Really wild thing is that boat is 168,000 tons...more than 50% heavier than the biggest aircraft carriers. Kind of surreal to think of something that big getting tossed around enough to shut the cruise down.

Sorry. Can't help but chuckle about passengers paying big bucks for the top decks. They were certainly tossed around the worst after instructed to stay in their rooms.

Actually, I would like to read some of the firsthand accounts from people onboard, but I'm having difficulty locating them by spot checking through roughly 100 pages of people NOT on the ship telling them to basically quit their whining. I can't understand the hostility toward someone else's experience. I see Winslow's post above and am glad that you felt that it wasn't so bad. But as far as I can tell, the vast majority of posts are from people who weren't there who are instead telling people who WERE there how they should have felt and what they experienced. Personally, I would like to see a thread of firsthand experiences in which everyone else who wasn't onboard could perhaps keep their strong and baseless opinions to themselves.

I was on this cruise. I have sailed over 50 times, including numerous Winter cruises from NYC on the NCL Dawn and Gem. On many of those Winter cruises we went through low pressure systems that brought waves as high as 35 ft and gale force winds. Never felt unsafe.

This storm was different. It wasn't the wave height that was the problem. It was the winds. The naviagtion channel displayed winds over 116 kts. We are talking hurricane strength winds.

DW and I happened to be in our cabin when the captain made his announcement over the PA that all passanger must return to their cabins and stay off their balconies.

I put on navigation channel and noticed ship was turned around and we were going less than 2 kts. My fear was that were lost propulsion and were going to capsize. Adding to my fears the captain stating that we did take on a little water and that he was in contact with the US coast guard.

Once the captain made another announcemment that he was steering ship into the wind and holding his position until the winds died down I felt a little better.

The winds only increased in intensity and everything in cabin started to fall over. Wine glasses went flying and one broke. DW put all glassware in drawers. Ship was definitely listing. When I exited the bathroom I was literally thrown into my bed.

We stayed calm and watched the Superbowl to try and keep minds off the storm. Once the winds died down and we started moving again our anxiety levels dropped tremendously.

In my opinion the captain did a wonderful job keeping the passanger and crew safe.

Next day we took advantage of free wi fi and e-mailed our DD and immediate family that we were OK. Spent the remaining days enjoying good food, shows, and music.

This incident will certainly not stop me from cruising. In fact I have two more cruises booked. One during hurricane season the other next January out of NYC.

Really wild thing is that boat is 168,000 tons...more than 50% heavier than the biggest aircraft carriers. Kind of surreal to think of something that big getting tossed around enough to shut the cruise down.

Sorry. Can't help but chuckle about passengers paying big bucks for the top decks. They were certainly tossed around the worst after instructed to stay in their rooms.

Yeah, that's a real laugher.

Im laughing over here not because I don't feel badly for the passengers, I do especially those who get sea sick and those who were scared to death.

Back in 2005 we were coming up the east coast and Hurricane Ivan had already hit land so we were sailing behind it. Out of nowhere Ivan decided to take a U turn and head back out to sea. We were hit with gale force winds and 40 foot waves for more than a full day. That said, we didn't get a free cruise, no 50 % of our next cruise, no free mini bar or free drinks afterwards. That was before Social Media..

I think the big difference is we had just started our cruise - we were sent to our cabins less then 24 hours after leaving port. The storm was with us before that. Cruise was canceled the next day. Sounds like most of your cruise had already happened. I think if we where on the way back we would not of got a refund - probably free mini bar - because no food, probably free movies because we where confined to our staterooms and had nothing else to do. Hard to compare apples and oranges. I think Royal was fair in that the cruise was over before it really started. Also if the port and ship would allow it, we would been back in port in Bayonne on Tuesday. It took us less then 24 hours to get into the storm from the port no reason we could not get back in less then 24 hours.

A lot of the posting is by people that where not even on the ship. I think it is good for those onboard to express their feelings about what happened. The speculation and drama from those that where not onboard - agree may be over blown. :D

Well no, not really .. if you bothered to read the second paragraph of MY thread .. it said that I was not referring specifically to the Anthem incident .. more to the temps you face when u cruise in winter out of NY.

Read a little bit first before you pounce, Mema ...

Edited by F27TW

Keep editing, F27TW, it is funny to see all the backpedaling.

You really are nasty aren't you? But I'm flattered to see that you follow me so closely.

And be happy I edited .. what I typed first wasn't nearly as nice.

Keep editing, F27TW, it is funny to see all the backpedaling.

.. but I kinda get it with you anyway ... you post tons of useless little one liners like that one .. you gotta make sure u stay in the elite 10,000+ post CC club, don't you?

i'm tired of going to the RCI boards and seeing it filled with posts about anthem...this one included.

Then don't Who said you have to read them?

I was on that sailing and it was absolutely terrifying, and reading comments like yours saddens me that people can be so ignorant and thoughtless!

I think you should know that 168,000 tons has nothing to do with "weight" but interior volume. One "ton" = 100 cubic feet of volume.

Do your homework and investigate this stuff before making such comments, as we have enough misinformation here as it is. Please do not add to it.

Also, there has not been a ship ever built that mother nature cannot toss around like a cork.

I watch Mayday before I get on a plane, I think if I were in the same situation I would be scared but not afraid I try not to show fear, if it's my turn to go than that what God has planned for me, I'm really not afraid to die, were only on this Earth temporary. So maybe I'm different than most people.

Then don't Who said you have to read them?

I was on that sailing and it was absolutely terrifying, and reading comments like yours saddens me that people can be so ignorant and thoughtless!

I agree 100%. This is an unnecessary thread.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app