Et Tu Celebrity?

zlato

We have been cruising Celebrity since December 2011 (9 cruises) and not found the MDR food to be in decline.

We do miss the end of cruise brunch, but that is another subject.

I agree, the vast majority of X's MDR food decline came long before 2011

Ditto. Sailing March 20 Eclipse and taking the Tux. I attended a Travel Show yesterday and approached the Celebrity rep. I told her we had been loyal Celebrity cruiser since 1995 and was very disappointed in the dress code change. She spent most of the conversation defending the decision. She said it was done to make the other passengers feel like they did not have to dress up. I said, well what about buffet for those folks. She repeated the previous. I said, well, no one was ever forced to wear a tux. There was always the option to wear a coat and tie on formal nights. She again repeated the previous. I said, well, now you have taken the level of acceptable dress all the way down to wearing jeans. She again repeated the previous. And finally, I said, I believe those choosing to wear a tux are going to feel uncomfortable surrounded by passengers wearing jeans, shirt tails hanging out, and ball caps on their head while eating. She said, feel out the comment card.

The hilarious thing is that X (nor most other lines for that matter) have not had true formal nights for years and years, slacks with a dress shirt and tie IS NOT formal, neither is a jacket over a dress shirt which have been acceptable for as long as I've sailed X so the entire "formal night thing" was a joke so finally its being called what it really is, "Dress up a little or a lot night"

I have mixed feelings about the formal nights. It is nice to see a classy dress up. However, not having to pack the formal clothes helps a lot with the packing.

We always plan a land portion either pre or post cruise and are usually away from home for 3 or more weeks. Also, we limit ourselves to one large suitcase each. Not having to pack the formal stuff allows more flexibility for packing.

It is nice to dine in a restaurant where no one is wearing sandals, flip flops, T-shirts with advertising, etc. The new standards still keep the grunge out, but it is not the same.

Still, I am willing to give the new policy a try.

4774Papa:

AGREE TOTALLY with everything you've said!

Maybe everyone should worry more about the declining quality of food in the MDR not the declining quality of MDR attire!

Right - let's all sit around the dining room in shorts and tee shirts chowing down on lobster tails and steaks. Take off the baseball cap if you want. An extra lobster tail if you can belch God Bless America.

My best guess would be to try Cunard ships.

From experience, I'd say guess again. I was shocked as to how few men dressed in tuxes and how few ladies dressed in appropriate formal wear. And, this wasn't during school holidays, so you'd think it would be even more dressy than usual, but it wasn't.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

Right - let's all sit around the dining room in shorts and tee shirts chowing down on lobster tails and steaks. Take off the baseball cap if you want. An extra lobster tail if you can belch God Bless America.

What makes you think I dress like that?

I wear a jacket and tie on formal nights when I go. My point is that on my recent November TA, the food sucked big time. Getting dressed up and being served crap was a joke as is your response to my post.

We are just back from Caribbean cruise on P&O and at least 75% observed the formal dress code in the main dining and public areas.

We are booked on Constellation for next year and will continue to dress formally on the 4 elegant chic nights.

..... And finally, I said, I believe those choosing to wear a tux are going to feel uncomfortable surrounded by passengers wearing jeans, shirt tails hanging out, and ball caps on their head while eating. She said, feel out the comment card.

So everyone who doesn't wear a Tux will immediately pull their shirt out and reach for their jeans and ball caps (sic) ?

We'll be taking our first cruise in May and we were excited about having my husband and teenage son wear a tux. We're sticking to the plan! Tux for the men and cocktail dress for me!

How many nights is this usually done? How do we know what nights?

Thanks, from the new kid on the ship.

We'll be taking our first cruise in May and we were excited about having my husband and teenage son wear a tux. We're sticking to the plan! Tux for the men and cocktail dress for me!

2 nights on a 7 day cruise. It will be written on the Celebrity Today that you receive the night before in your cabin, which also give you activities for the day and other information. Edited by NLH Arizona

It looks like some of you are going to have to take vacations to New York or Chicago to get your formal fix. There are still a handful of restaurants left in the country that require men to wear a jacket, mostly concentrated in New York and Chicago. We’ve tracked down 11 of these restaurants, and they just so happen to be 11 of the best restaurants in America.

OMG...another dress code posting.

Are people that vain that they need to dress up for dinner? Geez, this is getting old. Celebrity is getting with the times, why can people not get with the times.

Fact is, you can wear what you want....any time you want. If you want Tux and long gowns, go for it. Why does someone have to dictate what you wear? Be a grown up and wear what you choose.

I can not get over why some folks are so enraged by what I choose to wear. Does my choice in clothing somehow make you less than what you are? Or take away from your sense of dignity?

It was only one or two nights of an entire cruise to begin with anyway...were you clothing police disgusted at the dress of others in the non formal nights?

The true luxury lines Azamara, Seaborn, Oceana, Regent, Silverseas, Crystal, have enforced dress codes for dinner. Try them.

OMG...another dress code posting.

Are people that vain that they need to dress up for dinner? Geez, this is getting old. Celebrity is getting with the times, why can people not get with the times.

Fact is, you can wear what you want....any time you want. If you want Tux and long gowns, go for it. Why does someone have to dictate what you wear? Be a grown up and wear what you choose.

I can not get over why some folks are so enraged by what I choose to wear. Does my choice in clothing somehow make you less than what you are? Or take away from your sense of dignity?

It was only one or two nights of an entire cruise to begin with anyway...were you clothing police disgusted at the dress of others in the non formal nights?

The true luxury lines Azamara, Seaborn, Oceana, Regent, Silverseas, Crystal, have enforced dress codes for dinner. Try them.

Agreed. Celebrity is just trying to stay current and attract new, young cruisers. Makes perfect financial sense.

By the way, none of those luxury lines have true formal anymore either.

Azanara's published policy is even more relaxed than Celebrity's accommodation of those who still want to "dress up": "Formal evening wear is not expected nor required in our restaurants." After awhile this formal night / formal wear nonsense will die out!

It looks like some of you are going to have to take vacations to New York or Chicago to get your formal fix. There are still a handful of restaurants left in the country that require men to wear a jacket, mostly concentrated in New York and Chicago. We’ve tracked down 11 of these restaurants, and they just so happen to be 11 of the best restaurants in America.

I can't speak about Chicago but here in New York anything goes. When I took my wife to an opera at the Met for the first time we were shocked to see everything from jeans and shorts to ball gowns and tux. I think those who want true formal dress need to walk the red carpet events at the award shows. The only problem is they will be critiqued even harsher there than they are here on Cruise Critic.

We are just back from Caribbean cruise on P&O and at least 75% observed the formal dress code in the main dining and public areas.

We are booked on Constellation for next year and will continue to dress formally on the 4 elegant chic nights.

Just st back from a 14 night caribbean on eclipse. whilst i have had doubts about p &o anyway what i witnessed in antigua was nothing short of disgraceful jingoism. i am a uk citizen and was proud to see the camaraderie between the brits and germans on board eclipse.

when in antigua we were parked between a p&o ship and an aida ship . when we left at 5 many people were at the back if the boat and had to endure what looked like all the p&o inhabitants waving union jacks whilst 'rule brittania' played loudly over their pa system. it was comforting to see that the brits onboard eclipse were appalled .

who knows what the aida people thought once we got out of the way. I have since heard from a golfing pal that P&O have been known to play the dam-busters theme song - disgraceful IMHO.[emoji32]

That is why i like celebrity - multicultural and multinational amongst both staff and passengers

Edited by Ladesign

Cocktail dresses ARE NOT formal wear... :p I could care less what you wear actually, but my point about this is those that rail about missing formal night really have no idea what they are talking about, unless EVERYONE is in true formal wear then it REALLY ISN'T formal night....therefore cruise ships formal night have NEVER really been formal nights :eek:

Just st back from a 14 night caribbean on eclipse. whilst i have had doubts about p &o anyway what i witnessed in antigua was nothing short of disgraceful jingoism. i am a uk citizen and was proud to see the camaraderie between the brits and germans on board eclipse.

when in antigua we were parked between a p&o ship and an aida ship . when we left at 5 many people were at the back if the boat and had to endure what looked like all the p&o inhabitants waving union jacks whilst 'rule brittania' played loudly over their pa system. it was comforting to see that the brits onboard eclipse were appalled .

who knows what the aida people thought once we got out of the way. I have since heard from a golfing pal that P&O have been known to play the dam-busters theme song - disgraceful IMHO.[emoji32]

That is why i like celebrity - multicultural and multinational amongst both staff and passengers

That's what I think P+O cruisers refer to as a Sailaway Party. It's P+O who hand out the flags and play the music. Not sure its jingoism. I think it's meant to evoke something similar to Last Night Of The Proms.

In my limited experience , on Costa it seemed to depend on the itenary.in eastern med people dressed up, tux , suits long frocks etc. On western not so much. We still for but a fair amount didn't. Men in shirt and tie some with jackets. Ladies in a selection of length of dresses. The ladies in my party took at least 3 long and 4 cocktail length, men in tux or suits depending on evening with ties to match ladies frocks where loss. Just the way we roll ! each to those own, dressing for the evening particularly dinner and dancing is what we enjoy. And yes sometimes I would change after dinner for example for white night.

Cocktail dresses ARE NOT formal wear... :p I could care less what you wear actually, but my point about this is those that rail about missing formal night really have no idea what they are talking about, unless EVERYONE is in true formal wear then it REALLY ISN'T formal night....therefore cruise ships formal night have NEVER really been formal nights :eek:

Well, "Once Upon A Time" it was. 1991 Princess Cruise line had two formal nights black tie and two semi formal nights jacket and tie. What people fail to realize is the whole dining experience was different as well. There were only two dining times and no specialty restaurants. Service was white glove. The tables weren't crammed together, some dishes were prepared table side and the wait staff weren't rushing around like it was lunch time at Apple Bee's. Passengers stayed dressed in the evening dress code all night. Times have changed. Now Celebrity has created a class system with Blu and Luminae which have the same smart casual dress code every night as the specialty restaurants. It just didn't make sense for those who eat in the MDR to be dressed formal only to be subjected to mediocre food and service. Yes, while they serve lobster tail on these nights to give the illusion that it's a special evening, I can get a better quality lobster tail at a local clam bar at home and not have to dress up.

Edited by Iamcruzin

Cunard has relaxed a little, there's now just two categories of "formal" and "smart casual". The former "semi-formal" which required a tie along with the jacket has been dropped. But the dress code applies throughout the entire ship (except for the buffet) so if you don't buy into the code it's either room service or serve yourself on the glitzy nights and you'd get the dead eye if you ventured to the theatre.

Adherence in recent times by my experience has varied from terrific, where people turn up in black & white, masquerade or Ascot hats for the relevant themed evening, to downright sloppy when people look like they're wearing the suit they got married in and they've never learned how to knot a tie properly.

The downside of all of this of course is that if you've got flights involved in your cruise then it's extra weight to cram into cases. I love the Cunard system when we do a round trip from Southampton, but for one way trips I'm much happier with the Celebrity system where we can opt out and fill the case with something more useful.

Edited by Chunky2219
typo

Actually, I have to agree with you. Although I am a proponent of elegance while dining, my maxi-dresses and cocktail dresses have never been truly formal. And my DH's dark suits with tie, not formal either. I think on only one occasion in the past, did I wear what would be considered formal, and even that was a long skirt and jacket. And if DH is in the mood, he packs his tux. (I love how he looks in it)

That being said, I am also a proponent of live and let live, each to his/her own choice. My choice has always been and continues to be bling, elegance, and of course fun. I have even shown up once in the buffet all "dressed up". :)