Taxi from Port Everglades??

kunash

Hi

I will be on the Oasis later this year, and be disembarking at Port Everglade.

There will be four of us, and have 3 suitcases and other large bags.

Will I easily find a large SUV type taxi, where we disembark, to accomodate all of us for a transfer to Miami?

If I book a private SUV, after I disembark, I would need to phone and let them know the terminal number, and they would then drive to the terminal to meet you. (they are not allowed into the port to wait). I am from the UK and may not have access to a phone.

Just wondering if it may be easier to just get a SUV taxi at the port or pre book a SUV ??

Edited by kunash

Whoever picks you up will be able to find the terminal number from the signage at the port.

A minivan taxi should work fine, and those are easy to get at the port. You may have to wait an extra 5-10 minutes for one to come to the front of the line.

A taxi would probably be more expensive than a private shuttle, but in your case, without the ability to make or receive a phone call, I'd probably go with the taxi.

Might be cheaper to rent a car. We stopped grabbing taxis for transport to/from port and the airport because rental cars are generally cheaper for us. You grab the free shuttle to the rental car office, grab a car and away you go. In fact, on our cruise later this month we're renting a car when we get off the Getaway in Miami and are driving it to FLL airport the same day and flying home - $30. Can't beat it.

Edited by nbsjcruiser

Get a taxi van/SUV from the cruise terminal.

Just a heads up. Do not get in the one labeled Gold Coast Taxi. Is an older gold Chrysler minivan and it had an older driver behind the wheel. He is a renegade/scammer that drover us around the airport claiming there was an accident. We immediately thought something was up as all other taxis were going the "normal route". We did not want to say anything as who knows where his mental state was. Now with different technology (periscope, phone video, traffic apps) I might have done something different after we arrived at the airport but we just wanted to get through security, not have to get security involved.

When we finally arrived he wanted us to pay $15 more than the meter showed. It was already an extra $10 more than the "normal" rate to get from pier 18 to the airport, going the regular way. We didn't and he got no tip. We just gave him the meter rate and left him at the curb and he wasn't happy.

I haven't seen the van since but I keep my watch for him. We have used taxis there many times but knock on wood we have only ever once had a problem.

Edited by A&L_Ont

On a recent sailing there was a police officer (I think?) who was taking taxi orders as you left the terminal. He was forming lines based on needs for a small car or a large van/suv.

We were 4 with large luggage and went to the large vehicle line. The line for small cards was LONG. Felt a bit guilty, but we stood in line for only a few minutes as the demand for large vehicles was a lot shorter.

Taxis at port Everglades can either be a breeze or a nightmare. I've had both experiences. If there are a lot of ships in port that morning and/or rainy weather you can be waiting a while. In the rain with no cover. You can check the ship schedule on the port website to see how many ships are in that day. Personally - after my last time I would only book a car or use uber (if I'm not driving) if there was any time sensitivity at all.

On a recent sailing there was a police officer (I think?) who was taking taxi orders as you left the terminal. He was forming lines based on needs for a small car or a large van/suv.

When we got off the Oasis a couple weeks ago, we experienced the same thing. I was kind of surprised it was a police officer dealing with the taxis, but it was better than a prior experience where it was just a friend of the taxi company apparently directing you to the obvious line of taxis and asking for a tip. We had 4 people and wanted a minivan and the cop took us right over to the long line of SUV/minivan cabs that were there (looked like just as many as car taxis), no shortage at our pier, and there were 6 ships there. Maybe the other terminals were short cabs, I don't know lol.

• 2 months later...
We too, are a party of 4 with large luggage.

How much should we expect to pay for a larger taxi (mini-van) from the Port to FLL airport?

Thanks!

From PE to FLL with bags should be between $15-20