Comparing Princess and Celebrity

Bimmer09

Each line has a tent on the dock where a cup of cold water (hot climates) and a cool most towel (ditto) is awaiting passengers returning from a long day's excursion.

Here is the Ocean Princess tent in the Med.

This is in Palermo a hot place but no cold drinks or towels today.

15401389109_35f3ea7101_b.jpg

Here is what awaits when you return to Celebrity Silhouette...

24812175916_0fed082abf_b.jpg

Long walk from the Duty Free shop? Sit and rest for a moment before the next leg of your journey. There's a cold towel and drink awaiting. Once you climb the gangway there's security (at least two lines) followed by the no way to avoid it Purell Squeeze. Then the long walk to your cabin. It's also a place in the fresh air to wait for friends when going ashore.

The dock tent speaks of what's onboard to passengers on nearby ships-Modern Luxury.

WELCOME BACK TO THE SHIP?

ADVANTAGE CELEBRITY

(FOR OBVIOUS REASONS)

We did a Feb.7-21 trip on the Regal & they had the same setup, though not quite as luxurious as the Silhouette. We normally cruise on the Celebrity Eclipse. They are a little more luxurious on board than Regal(except the Pizza). Food was generally a lot better. The menu repeated for the second leg of our Regal trip, even though we went to a different part of the Caribbean. I do like the fact Celebrity still uses cloth towels in the restrooms. I hate the paper towels on the Regal which always seemed to tear & leave pieces all over the floor. Surprisingly, the Oceania Marina had nothing to comfort pax when returning to the ship. So much for their supposed upscale reputation.

I don't know when your Ocean Princess cruise was but last week on the Royal we had cold wash clothes and cold water waiting for us just before we boarded at every port.

There was NOT that lovely seating area , though.

Edited by chamima

I don't know when your Ocean Princess cruise was but last week on the Royal we had cold wash clothes and cold water waiting for us just before we boarded at every port.

We were on the Regal Feb.7-21. We were usually greeted with a cold towel & nice sitting area when returning to the ship. On our Celebrity Eclipse trips it was the same except the seating was a tad nicer. Still I think the Regal(being the current flagship)tried to do a more upscale appearance. Most especially if there were other more "premium" ships docked nearby.

Ocean Princess was September 2014....Venice to Rome.

Norris

We were on the Regal Feb.7-21. We were usually greeted with a cold towel & nice sitting area when returning to the ship. On our Celebrity Eclipse trips it was the same except the seating was a tad nicer. Still I think the Regal(being the current flagship)tried to do a more upscale appearance. Most especially if there were other more "premium" ships docked nearby.

Good to hear they are making an effort on the Regal, Keith. Doesn't cost anything as the furniture is paid for and the crew too. It looks classy on the dock and is practical. I think a pianist on a white baby grand at the foot of the gangway would be a good touch.

Norris

This past year, Caribbean, Star, Regal and Island Princess all had tent with shade, cold/ice towels and cold water upon return to the gangway in each port. Star was in Alaska, and usually it's hot chocolate at the gangway, but our cruise, each port was in the high. 70s, low 80s (except Ketchikan in rain) and the cold water and cool towel was greatly appreciated!

Have not seen that type of seating area on any of our Celebrity sailings, but the tent and shade with cool water and cold towels has always been there on each sailing and greatly appreciated on return. Will look out for it on our next Celebrity sailing later this year... Great pics...

Edited by reedprincess

This past year, Caribbean, Star, Regal and Island Princess all had tent with shade, cold/ice towels and cold water upon return to the gangway in each port.

On our Star cruise to Mexico, it was sweaty hot. There was a tent, but no water or towels but there were some plastic chairs. On Celebrity we have always had water, towels, and lounge furniture. However, some Celebrity cruisers have complained that these items were missing at some ports.

So I think...."it depends" on each cruise line. No consistency, but then again, sometimes things happen that are impossible to control or anticipate.

Edited by El Crucero

Hi Norris! I have gotten quite behind on this thread, but for a very good reason. I was busy planning a week in Alaska under strict timing and budget for myself, my mom, my husband's mom, and my 20 year old daughter, who is the reason for the cruise (she is now 8 years survivor of brain cancer, but has to have another surgery this summer to improve her airway), a special celebration with the women who love her best. We settled on the Crown Princess, so now I am busy reading that review!

perfect match -

Sorry to say but on my Samsung Galaxy phone the photo shows just fine. :what:

I have noticed that some things which do show up on newer Samsung tablets do not always show up on my somewhat older model. :eek: It isn't THAT old, but it is outdated already. Imagine that! Perhaps it is time to go tablet shopping! :D

We did a Feb.7-21 trip on the Regal & they had the same setup, though not quite as luxurious as the Silhouette. We normally cruise on the Celebrity Eclipse. They are a little more luxurious on board than Regal(except the Pizza). Food was generally a lot better. The menu repeated for the second leg of our Regal trip, even though we went to a different part of the Caribbean. I do like the fact Celebrity still uses cloth towels in the restrooms. I hate the paper towels on the Regal which always seemed to tear & leave pieces all over the floor. Surprisingly, the Oceania Marina had nothing to comfort pax when returning to the ship. So much for their supposed upscale reputation.

While it has been a while since we have sailed with Celebrity (we will be on Equinox in July) we have often been in port with Celebrity vessels and on those really hot days the furniture (as nice as it looks) was unoccupied as it was just too hot and the A/C was just too tempting. We've sailed on Oceania Marina and there was always a cold drink and cold towel at the top of the gangway for us to scamper up for on our return from a hot port.

Edited by 2onboardagain

Hi Norris! I have gotten quite behind on this thread, but for a very good reason. I was busy planning a week in Alaska under strict timing and budget for myself, my mom, my husband's mom, and my 20 year old daughter, who is the reason for the cruise (she is now 8 years survivor of brain cancer, but has to have another surgery this summer to improve her airway), a special celebration with the women who love her best. We settled on the Crown Princess, so now I am busy reading that review!

Sorry to Norris for hijacking the wonderful thread, but I just had to respond to this touching post. What a cause for celebration, and to celebrate with the important women in her life who "love her best" is all the more special. Have an incredible cruise, and prayers for your daughter! :)

Shopping is clearly a personal thing. I'm not a big shopper. For me, 'shopping' is finding my next cruise, planning excursions, buying airfare, etc. Once I'm on the cruise, I'm not interested in buying random stuff! But I'll never forget when I was on a Pacific Princess 16 day cruise of Asia with my husband. We were in our 30s and were by far some of the youngest people onboard. This didn't trouble us, as we got along well with most of the passengers. But the women were always shopping, and talking about shopping! I just ignored it, but one day we were chatting with a couple at dinner and the wife asked me what I had bought that day on shore. And I told her 'nothing'. And she was horrified, telling me that I *had* to buy something in every port, and then showing off some gaudy bracelet she got, telling me how it would remind her of this port forever. And her husband took mine aside and told him how he had to 'let' me spend money, because it was the job of a good husband.

I love this story :). My idea of shopping is also planning my next vacation, flights, hotels etc and not buying more stuff, but happy that bountiful opportunities exist for those who want to shop on vacation ;)

I've read all of this thread and really enjoyed doing so, so thanks from me also Norris. I'm going out now to buy our 'chippy tea' :D

I think Princess is really missing a great opportunity here. In many cases there are thousands of potential customers in these dock areas. Celebrity is very smart to "Put on a show" for that audience with the carpeting, deluxe furniture, etc.

With tens of millions spend every year for advertising, trying to find that cruising audience, the small effort to show off at a port seems like it would be a fantastic value.

Good to hear they are making an effort on the Regal, Keith. Doesn't cost anything as the furniture is paid for and the crew too. It looks classy on the dock and is practical. I think a pianist on a white baby grand at the foot of the gangway would be a good touch.

Norris

Might be a bit tough getting the baby grand back & forth to the ship LOL. I did enjoy the ice water with sliced cucumbers in several of the ports on the Regal. A really nice touch. We would do more trips on the Regal if they improved some of the following..better quality food/better towels in the cabin bath rooms(ours were terrible)longer trips. The trip we did(14 days)was a combination of two trips. Western Caribbean & Eastern Caribbean. We did not like the fact that the menu repeated for both legs. I also hate saying it & I will likely get flamed, but we noticed the "sophistication" level of many(not all) Princess pax was not to the standard of those on the Eclipse. Here's my reason. The Caribbean trips on the Eclipse are for 14 day periods. Most pax were either retired or had a higher level of disposable income. The first 7 days had Superbowl Sunday on Feb.7. There were some incredibly rude & trashy pax on board that first week. After the 14'th it was overall a much better crowd. If Princess would "dedicate" a decent ship to 14 day cruises & not 7 day back to back cruises, then we would most likely do more trips. Without a doubt Princess's best asset were the magnificent staff. I think overall the best we've seen anywhere.

I think Princess is really missing a great opportunity here. In many cases there are thousands of potential customers in these dock areas. Celebrity is very smart to "Put on a show" for that audience with the carpeting, deluxe furniture, etc.

With tens of millions spend every year for advertising, trying to find that cruising audience, the small effort to show off at a port seems like it would be a fantastic value.

Actually, I think Princess did a GOOD job overall in some of the ports. The Regal had a nice seating area & great ice water with either fruit or sliced cucumbers. I'm not sure they do this with their other ships or just the largest & newest.

[quote name='donswife']Hi Norris! I have gotten quite behind on this thread, but for a very good reason. I was busy planning a week in Alaska under strict timing and budget for myself, my mom, my husband's mom, and my 20 year old daughter, who is the reason for the cruise (she is now 8 years survivor of brain cancer, but has to have another surgery this summer to improve her airway), a special celebration with the women who love her best. We settled on the Crown Princess, so now I am busy reading that review![/QUOTE]

[SIZE="3"]Well this sounds like a great way to celebrate!!

I think the Crown was one of my shorter reviews but if you don't see enough of the ship in it you can hop over to the longer Ruby or Emerald reviews as they are all sisters. For Alaska I have you covered with two reviews and lots of excursions.

You are going to have an amazing time!

When are you planning to sail?

Norris
[/SIZE]

[quote name='El Crucero']On our Star cruise to Mexico, it was sweaty hot. There was a tent, but no water or towels but there were some plastic chairs. On Celebrity we have always had water, towels, and lounge furniture. However, some Celebrity cruisers have complained that these items were missing at some ports.

So I think...."it depends" on each cruise line. [B][COLOR="Red"] No consistency[/COLOR][/B], but then again, sometimes things happen that are impossible to control or anticipate.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="3"]I highlighted one my my pet peeves in red...if you are a Brand you need to stamp the Brand on everything you do. Lazy officers strike again. The Captain sets the tone...

Norris
[/SIZE]

[quote name='mrsgoggins']I love this story :). My idea of shopping is also planning my next vacation, flights, hotels etc and not buying more stuff, but happy that bountiful opportunities exist for those who want to shop on vacation ;)

I've read all of this thread and really enjoyed doing so, so thanks from me also Norris. I'm going out now to buy our 'chippy tea' :D[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="3"]Mrs Goggins, thanks for joining us here and for the comments. I'm glad you have been enjoying the thread so thanks for saying so.

Off to the Chippy for tea? That's my kind of take-out and when I go home to Northern Ireland (rarely) there's nothing I look forward to more than finding myself in a fish and chip shop, savoring the aroma.

Now I am hungry!

Ta-rah for now!

Norris
[/SIZE]

[quote name='Scotto97']I think Princess is really missing a great opportunity here. In many cases there are thousands of potential customers in these dock areas. Celebrity is very smart to "Put on a show" for that audience with the carpeting, deluxe furniture, etc.

With tens of millions spend every year for advertising, trying to find that cruising audience, the small effort to show off at a port seems like it would be a fantastic value.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="3"]Very well said!

There's always a ship just across the dock letting of 3,000 passengers in port and when they see that Silhouette dock-lounge I am sure many are like me and say "ooh, nice! They certainly do things with style on Celebrity!"

Simple and effective.

Thank you!

Norris
[/SIZE]

[B][CENTER][SIZE="7"][COLOR="Red"]AND IN THE END.......[/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER][/B]

[SIZE="3"]When I began this comparison on February 17th I didn't assign numerical values to my "advantages" so I was never going to tally up points to declare a winner.

Well there were two winners really- [B]Norris and Carol[/B]. And Princess and Celebrity.

If one was so much better than the other then it could mean no more Princess for us or we would be canceling our next X cruise on the Reflection, which is not something we are going to do. We have a dinner in Murano waiting for us on January 14th 2017!

So we will happily sail both until the day comes when we try another line and then have 3 to choose from (so many ships-so little time).

At the base of each cruise line is the combination of things that we must have;

Clean, well maintained modern ships
A service culture where they try hard to please
Good food and comfortable cabins
A variety of places to eat, both sophisticated and casual.
A clientele who is respectful of other passengers
A distinct lack of over-served people vomiting over the railings
Ships that look like ships not Six Flags Amusement Park
A lack of costumed characters and giant animals (why?) on deck
Enough staff to serve the number of passengers
Entertainment day and night
Aft suites
Very few announcement over the P.A.
A cruising experience that gives us value for the money spent

[B]The Silhouette is the most beautiful ship I have yet set foot on or seen photos of.[/B]
Celebrity were very innovative in the S Class design-I am full of admiration for the Board who thought outside of the box and for the design team that made it a reality.

When it comes to onboard experiences though Princess stands tall with so many unique features-yes many at a price but we live in a Capitalist society and should thank our Lucky Stars. Competition breeds excellence and innovation.

So on Princess you can have a celebration breakfast or dinner on your balcony regardless of your stateroom for $30 and $100 per couple (UBB and UBD)

You can splurge on a Chef's Table or Winemaker's Dinner, eat food designed by a Master Chocolatier of renown (Norman Love) or a celebrity TV chef (Curtis Stone) in SHARE restaurant.

You can join fellow passengers in a choir and sing in public instead of the shower.

You can enjoy a Pub Lunch-a taste of Olde England.

You can pay for peace and quiet and attentive service in the Sanctuary.

You can watch movies on a 30 foot screen on deck

You can sit in the Piazza and watch jugglers, acrobats, bands and dancers until you are blue in the face.

You can eat and drink at the International Cafe 24/7

You will have a Personal Cruise Consultant assigned after your first cruise so no calling a 1-800 and taking your chances...you talk to "your guy" every time.

That's a long list of things, some costly , some free that make a Princess ship so enjoyable.

The ships have no lawn and that was my favorite part of the Silhouette experience. It's all there in the review.

They have smaller bars and specialty restaurants but more of them and cater to niche audiences. So many choices! The have 3 or more times the number of shops on board. All of these things are Revenue Generators so kudos to the Capitalists!

I don't think I sat by the lawn with a cold beer in my hand thinking about Princess at all during my week on board. I was enjoying the X experience. It wasn't radically different, better or worse but they nailed all those things we must have-except for Carol's Sanctuary as she loves to get away from it all. But it was her idea to book another cruise before leaving the ship. Reflection here we come.

We slept well, ate well, were greeted with smiles and good service, were entertained by the entertainers and some of the staff who had great senses of humor. We enjoyed luxurious comfort and were delighted by the amazing art collection on board. At every turn was a design feature or beautiful room that caught our eye. We loved the space on the ship and the room to roam-a bigger ship than the Ruby but with fewer passengers.

We had sizzling steaks at night, between the two funnels, with the warm Caribbean breeze wafting through the Lawn Club Grill as a singer guitarist played for couples sitting on the lawn, drinking their wine. The ship is a thing of beauty when lit at night.

We had a great, memorable cruise with Celebrity. We gave them one chance to make a good first impression and they ran with it.

[B][CENTER][SIZE="7"][COLOR="Red"]SO IN CONCLUSION...[/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER][/B]

[B][COLOR="Red"]We are two very happy cruisers[/COLOR][/B], now that we have a choice of 28 ships (with 3 more on the way) and the itineraries which that choice offers us.

Thanks to everyone who has read along and particularly for those many among you who took the time to respond. It's much appreciated!! (I am raising my glass to you all)

I hope you will all join me for our next cruise review-I just can't say when that will be but definitely January 2017 at the latest.

[B]BYE FOR NOW,[SIZE="5"][/SIZE][/B]

[img]https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7411/16426142501_7363911fcf_b.jpg[/img]

[B][CENTER][SIZE="7"][COLOR="Red"]NORRIS[/COLOR][/SIZE][/CENTER][/B][/SIZE]

Norris,

I'm so sad this comparison/review is coming to an end! I've looked forward to every word and photo! I love your style, and a huge "thank you" for the time and dedication to tackle this endeavor--as well as your review on the X site. I'm going to miss my daily "fix." :)

[quote name='Bimmer09'][SIZE=3]Well this sounds like a great way to celebrate!!

I think the Crown was one of my shorter reviews but if you don't see enough of the ship in it you can hop over to the longer Ruby or Emerald reviews as they are all sisters. For Alaska I have you covered with two reviews and lots of excursions.

You are going to have an amazing time!

When are you planning to sail?

Norris
[/SIZE][/quote]

We leave August 13. :) We went on the Westerdam to Alaska 2 years ago, but went to Sitka rather than Skagway. We are fortunate that there will only be 2 ships each in Juneau and Ketchikan, and 3 in Skagway and Victoria.