MDR Tips: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

stickey_mouse

I've never heard, seen or experienced ordering a "dogie bag" in the MDR, but a uick trip up to the Lido should give you amble choices of cheeses which you can take back to your cabin.

Once on Royal CAribbean, I asked to wrap up the cheese from the MDR to take to the room w/ me. Couldn't finish it. And they put it and more cheese on a plate w/ a cover!

Glad to hear someone else doesn't put on 1 pound per day. My weight stays about the same too. Sure wouldn't want to be putting on 33 pounds on my next cruise!:eek::p

I've heard that too. We did that on our 14 day cruisetour. And after that we realized we had to make some changes if we wanted to continue cruising. Now we're on the one dessert a day plan. Is the MDR open on port days?

You can call room service and order a cheese plate. You can order food that is not on the room service menu as long as it is available in the Lido or MDR. You can order dinner from the MDR. There is a time you have to call, but I can't remember what it is...after dinner had started, I think. The staff in the MDR don't have time to bring you food if you go there and ask for something

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Any stateroom, or just the Neptune suites?

Once on Royal CAribbean, I asked to wrap up the cheese from the MDR to take to the room w/ me. Couldn't finish it. And they put it and more cheese on a plate w/ a cover!

I've heard that too. We did that on our 14 day cruisetour. And after that we realized we had to make some changes if we wanted to continue cruising. Now we're on the one dessert a day plan. Is the MDR open on port days?

Any stateroom, or just the Neptune suites?

The MDR is not usually open on port days for lunch, but it is for breakfast and dinner.

Any stateroom can order ;)

No sure fire formula for varieties of body types and metabolism, but a rule of thumb is 300-500 calories a day extra will cause weight gain or 300-500 calories fewer will cause weight loss.

Setting what your daily calorie needs are in the first place is dependent upon many variables as well. Mayo Clinic has an online calculator to determine your normal daily calorie needs based upon age weight, height and activity levels. http://www.mayoclinic.org/calorie-calculator/itt-20084939

Anyone have a quick and dirty formula for the calories found in the Dive-In fries with cheese sauce. :eek: Okay, just half of the fries with cheese sauce?

Pays to know ahead of time to know what combination favorite onboard items will rack up that extra 300-500 calories a day, and how many extra times around the deck or in gym each day will take it off if one wants to disembark calorie neutral.

List your own favorites and then know what you have to do to balance it out.

Rolls with butter, ice-cream with cookies, soup and appetizer plus main meal and dessert. Fancy drinks, special coffees, bread pudding with or without custard sauce. Sushi for lunch or a burger. One slice of pizza or two.

Edited by OlsSalt

No sure fire formula for varieties of body types and metabolism, but a rule of thumb is 300-500 calories a day extra will cause weight gain or 300-500 calories fewer will cause weight loss.

Setting what your daily calorie needs are in the first place is dependent upon many variables as well. Mayo Clinic has an online calculator to determine your normal daily calorie needs based upon age weight, height and activity levels. http://www.mayoclinic.org/calorie-calculator/itt-20084939

Anyone have a quick and dirty formula for the calories found in the Dive-In fries with cheese sauce. :eek: Okay, just half of the fries with cheese sauce?

Pays to know ahead of time to know what combination favorite onboard items will rack up that extra 300-500 calories a day, and how many extra times around the deck or in gym each day will take it off if one wants to disembark calorie neutral.

List your own favorites and then know what you have to do to balance it out.

Rolls with butter, ice-cream with cookies, soup and appetizer plus main meal and dessert. Fancy drinks, special coffees, bread pudding with or without custard sauce. Sushi for lunch or a burger. One slice of pizza or two.

Thx for the calculator. The dive in is the most overrated spot on the ship. I've never tasted the cheese fries nor do I care to.

Lots & lots! They are (quite literally) to die for. :D It's not just the calories, it's the fat, too. If my cardiologist knew I had tried them, he would probably kill me himself. ;)

• 2 months later...
What is this sauce everyone is talking about. I've gotten food by the pool before but don't recall a sauce.

The very delicious fries at the newer Dive-Ins come with a choice of special sauce which appears to be a spicy mayonnaise, or a cheese sauce which is mild and gooey-creamy. (Or plain)

The fries have a slight crunch to them which pairs very nicely with either creamy sauce. They are just plain yummy taste-pleasers that offer no nutritional rationale. But you also may need to eat them with a fork when you get to the bottom of the little carton where the sauce has pooled around them.

Like a lot of people on this thread, we have thought the desserts lacked flavor and imagination in the past. However, on the cruise we took to the Caribbean in Feb. of this year we felt there was some improvement in the quality and variety of deserts. Now this maybe just an anomaly but it was a definite improvement over previous cruise dessert fare. This was one of the best desserts we had, a snickers cake, pretty rich but good.

DSCN7636.jpg

I attended a special chef's dinner on the Westerdam years ago where the chef prepared dinner in front of about 20-30 people and we ate together, and as many of you suspect...the cold soups are literally thin milkshakes. So...maybe order them for dessert!

My least favorite dinner is the international dinner. The food is just not good. I think it is because it is the end of the 7 day cruises and I find the food quality goes down (as it should) as all the freshest things get eaten.