MDR Tips: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

stickey_mouse

Oh my goodness, I LOVE Filipino food. We can really do this in the MDR? :D

Lorie

I'd be very surprised if they would do this. Maybe on longer voyages. On my eurodam I asked for some bitterballen ( I realize this is Dutch not Filipino)and it shouldn't have been a big deal but it was. They do have Filipino food in the lido in the Asian section on certain days.

I'd be very surprised if they would do this. Maybe on longer voyages. On my eurodam I asked for some bitterballen ( I realize this is Dutch not Filipino)and it shouldn't have been a big deal but it was. They do have Filipino food in the lido in the Asian section on certain days.

Longer cruises must be the answer then.

We had no problem on our Westerdam cruise - including our wine tasting :)

On my cruise with my vegetarian husband, the waiters brought him not only the next day's main dining room vegetarian menu, but also the Indian and Indonesian vegetarian menus.

I don't think it would be surprising or difficult at all for them to bring a passenger the Indonesian/Filipino menus upon request.

1. Don't be reluctant to order / try multiple items ( i.e. #2 appetizers, a hot & cold soup if interested & #2 main dishes) for tasting purposes.

2. Beef? I tend to order to order on the rare side due to prior experiences with over cooking which means you need to re-order.

3. Fish fillets, etc. can be a 'crap shot' depending on the chef. Don't feel bad if your need to re-order. Mushy fillets & over-cooked shell fish doesn't work for me.

4. One of my major issues for me has been (seems like for ages with not only HAL) is that cold items (i.e. soups, ice cream/sorbets) need to be served COLD & hot items (i.e. most main platters) need to be served HOT. It's always been a problem with institutional cooking / service. I believe HAL is getting better in this regard.

5. If your a wine drinker make sure you make your wine steward is a ' best friend'. He/she will give you plenty of tips & service with simple conversation & good manners.

6. Get to know your food serving staff on the first night (if you have fixed seating). Your preferences will be noted.

7. Have a good attitude & enjoy. Hey, your not cooking. Your on vacation!

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

Not sure where that stat comes from. I usually stay about the same weight wise. If it were true imagine what world cruisers would look like at the end of. The cruise :rolleyes:
That stat came from a Princess ship tour in the fitness center. When mom and I came back.... that average sounded right. I was the weaker one. Oh the agony walking on that diet scale post-cruise.

I guess world cruisers have better discipline than shorter cruisers.

Edited by xlxo

Never miss a chilled fruit soup--they have never been disappointing.

If you don't like the look of what's on the dessert menu (and to be honest, the pastry department is the weak point on HAL), then have the chilled fruit soup for dessert.

Are there any highly desirable seating areas (because of view, etc.) on that level, and are you allowed to request them?
Windows are extremely popular.

• Sometimes, I ask what's available.... I will break up my group to get those coveted window seats.
  • Another idea is to show up an late.... there is a huge rush at the beginning for those window seats... but if you show up 45 minutes to closing... those window seats may be available.

If there is a piano in the room.... you may wish to ask for a different table. On another cruiseline.... the tables near the piano was difficult to have a conversation.

Edited by xlxo

It would be rare for them to deny your request. :cool:

Made me laugh, your sense of humor reminds me of my dear Dad. He was good with words like that, often had us kids either groaning with fake dismay or laughing at his puns lol :D

Lorie

Edited by galensgrl

Since I feel a little shy asking and don't want to trouble the MDR staff, I will keep my eye out for the Filipino and Indonesian food at the Lido. I believe there was an Indonesian night at the Lido, but we had booked one of the other restaurants that evening. Hopefully there will be another one on our upcoming cruise.

Lorie

I guess world cruisers have better discipline than shorter cruisers.

It really isn't will power. It's more that on a longer cruise (doesn't have to be a world cruise) you have time to try everything, and don't have to down it all in a few days. You can spread out the "treats" over time.

Besides that, on longer cruises one just gets sick of eating so much. You can feel stuffed all the time, and it doesn't take long and you don't want to feel that way. Since a longer cruise becomes more like real life at home, you start to eat that way, too.

It really isn't will power. It's more that on a longer cruise (doesn't have to be a world cruise) you have time to try everything, and don't have to down it all in a few days. You can spread out the "treats" over time.

Besides that, on longer cruises one just gets sick of eating so much. You can feel stuffed all the time, and it doesn't take long and you don't want to feel that way. Since a longer cruise becomes more like real life at home, you start to eat that way, too.

Or as I call it, you get in "cruise mode".

And when you make a reservation, you're just reserving a time, and not a table, correct?

I don't think they'll guarantee a table number when you reserve the first time. But If you like a table, you can ask to reserve it again. We liked our waiters on Maasdam so much that we asked to have that table for the next night and the next night. They usually will do a repeating reservation for a few nights. After three or four nights of us asking on the way out, they just made it a standing reservation for the same table, same time.