MDR Tips: The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

stickey_mouse

I will be sailing on HAL for the first time in May (Noordam to Alaska). Does anybody have any tips regarding what to order in the MDR? Any rules of thumb (ex. beef is good, pork is bad, avoid all soups, etc.)? Feel free to name any specific dishes that stood out or disgusted you. Thanks!

Food quality and preparation can vary from cruise to cruise. Dining satisfaction is subjective. Before boarding last cruise I spoke with some debarking passengers who had never been so disappointed with such dreadful food. My wife and I were quite happy with our meals.

There is only a small window for open dining reservations, don't remember the hours, but 7:00 to 7:30 was never available on our cruise.

Holland America serves only sustainable fish. I am not a fan of tilapia. The chilled fruit soups are desserts as far as I am concerned, they are like thin milk shakes. I used to eat mostly fish on cruises, but Holland America serves only sustainable fish. I am not a fan of tilapia; although salmon has always been good. I eat and enjoy lamb any time I can get it, it may run more to medium rare than the rare I order. Don't get lamb with olive sauce, that was a disappointment. I have been happy with the beef; prime rib has been excellent, steaks very good in my opinion.

I agree with others that ice cream is frequently the best dessert choice. I have been able to get a chocolate sundae any night, even if it is not on the menu. I think the main dining room is the place to eat, the Pinnacle Grill has been a disappointment; better offerings, lovely setting, but intrusive service.

and if you find something you really like in the MDR.... hit the buffet to reload for a second a wind.

The average person gains 1 lb for each cruise day. The goal is to beat it.

Now you have me really scared. We have an upcoming 55 day cruise and are trying to figure out what clothes to pack in order to handle the 55 lb weight gain :D

Hank

I've heard so much about the cheese plate. Can you order it to go from your MDR server? How about other desserts? May not want to eat it right away but as a snack later in (if you are in early dining).

I've never heard, seen or experienced ordering a "dogie bag" in the MDR, but a uick trip up to the Lido should give you amble choices of cheeses which you can take back to your cabin.

and if you find something you really like in the MDR.... hit the buffet to reload for a second a wind.

The average person gains 1 lb for each cruise day. The goal is to beat it.

Not neccesary, just order a second portion, the waiter will happily give you one.

Excuse me, but can we talk breakfast for a minute here??

Don't miss breakfast! HAL wins breakfast-on-the-sea! In the MDR, there are a handful of different international breakfast offerings (Dutch, English, Japanese, etc.). Try them! But when you do you'll be missing the best part of the buffet breakfast offering up in the Lido -- the Eggs Benedict station, where they custom-cook Eggs Benedict in about a dozen different ways. Fabulous!

Have a great time on your cruise. :)

You can call room service and order a cheese plate. You can order food that is not on the room service menu as long as it is available in the Lido or MDR. You can order dinner from the MDR. There is a time you have to call, but I can't remember what it is...after dinner had started, I think. The staff in the MDR don't have time to bring you food if you go there and ask for something

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You can call room service and order a cheese plate. You can order food that is not on the room service menu as long as it is available in the Lido or MDR. You can order dinner from the MDR. There is a time you have to call, but I can't remember what it is...after dinner had started, I think. The staff in the MDR don't have time to bring you food if you go there and ask for something

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

You can order room service from the MDR menu provided you phone during MDR dinner hours. We do it all the time, and it works well for us. Just don't order any ice cream dessert for it will be melted by the time you get to it!

I've heard so much about the cheese plate. Can you order it to go from your MDR server? How about other desserts? May not want to eat it right away but as a snack later in (if you are in early dining).

Your best bet is to go to the Lido in the afternoon and make up a plate from the cheese board. The selection is usually pretty good and you can also grab some crackers, bread, dried fruit and nuts. Some people have suggested taking some plate covers along to keep the cheese from drying out. You'll find them in the grocery store with the plastic bags. (I'm pretty sure that they're the same thing happened a food grade shower cap)

Now you have me really scared. We have an upcoming 55 day cruise and are trying to figure out what clothes to pack in order to handle the 55 lb weight gain :D

Hank

On the longer cruises I tend to lose weight since I get a bit tired of the food. It is good, I just get tired of eating all the time. And, by the way, I sometimes substitute the chilled soups for dessert. Some of them are really good later than earlier in the meal.

Susan

Your best bet is to go to the Lido in the afternoon and make up a plate from the cheese board. The selection is usually pretty good and you can also grab some crackers, bread, dried fruit and nuts. Some people have suggested taking some plate covers along to keep the cheese from drying out. You'll find them in the grocery store with the plastic bags. (I'm pretty sure that they're the same thing happened a food grade shower cap)

I believe there are now cheese plates in the lido instead of the separate cheeses. At least that is what was reported on the Oosterdam. I'll report from the Westerdam in a few weeks .

A few years ago on the grand 50 day Rotterdam cruise to Indonesia that had a very high percentage of Dutch passengers, the cheese table in the Lido was fabulous along with a great selection of crackers and condiments too. Never saw it that elaborate again. It was self-serve and it was the hit of that cruise.

The Eurodam last December did not have the blocks of cheeses like in the past. They only had plates with already cut off pieces of cheeses and a slice of carrot on them.

This is similar to the change during breakfast where they used to have trays of several fruits and you could take what you wanted. They had pre-mixed fruit cups. Tough luck if your medication interferes with grapefruit....

It is a cutback. There is less cheese/fruits used this way.

We are currently signed up for flexible dining. Are you saying that we can make reservations for this? If so, how and when?

Yes, with open dining you can make reservations for some times in the MDR. I think it's 5:15 - 6pm and 7:45 - 8:30.... or something like that. You call the dining reservations number (88?) and tell them you have open dining and would like reservations for dinner in the main dining room, and what time you want; I also tell them I'd like a table for two.

You can do this up to 2 or 3 days in advance. They will hold your table for that time plus 15 minutes after the time you requested. If you don't show within 15 minutes they give the table to someone else.

If I were not able to make my reserved time, as a courtesy, I would call them to let them know so someone else could use it.

m--

We did not have fixed seating and what few times we went to MDR we had no trouble getting a table. The good: the food was mostly delicious. I went in knowing they are mass producing food and so would not have five star meals. The portions are just fine if you don't eat every course. I was overfull when I did. The pork chop was awesome and the veal loin which was actually a cutlet was also very nice. DD didn't mind the salmon but it looked Atlantic. The portions were tiny for salmon. The French onion soup was a disappointment for both of us. I'm not a dessert person so I had cheese plates both in MDR and pinnacle. The cheese portions were small but flavourful and satisfactory. DD does like the novelty of dessert and only found one to be too sweet. It was the sugar free lemon tart. The afternoon tea was more like dim sum style service than traditional tea but it was delicious. That is in MDR. The bad: I don't like buffets but, be warned, MDR is often closed for lunch. The buffet or grills/pizza may be your only option! Service is slow in MDR especially if you have a chatty dinner companion who slows things down between courses. If you want to make a show or get out faster, as the server not to wait the courses. The ugly: nothing was ugly! The dining room does resemble a mass dining venue but the decor is pleasant. The lovely young people all dressed for dinner even on smart casual nights really made for a pleasant atmosphere. And the snappy, professional presentation of the hard working dining room staff added to the ambience as well.

DH loves the chilled soups. I have found them too sweet in the past but last cruise I think they were different, not so much like dessert, very enjoyable.

The hot soups I find rather salty so I choose carefully.

The filet is usually reliably good; the prime rib unfortunately isn't always as good as it used to be but can be excellent. If I get a piece I don't like I sent it back and order something else.

I don't think I've had a bad lamb dish.

I like most of the fish. The salmon is always DH's back-up dish.

The risotto has always been good, sometimes I order it as a side.

The salads can be a light alternative, maybe too light, so I would want to pair one with something else, maybe a pasta, maybe a risotto.

For dessert I usually have either a sorbet or ice cream unless there is something really fabulous offered. I avoid anything that has "sponge cake" in the description. And if there is something with liquor or liqueur flavoring don't expect it to be noticeable.

I usually gain weight on a cruise and find I enjoy experimenting with foods I wouldn't get otherwise; DH likes to stick to what he knows and feels very happy with the beef and salmon. And anything chocolate.

Bon appetite! m--

Are you saying that you can make the reservation even before boarding the ship?

No, sorry I wasn't clearer. Once on board you can call for reservations for that night and up to 2 or three nights in advance. We try to call once we have figured out our plans for the day. m--

The Eurodam last December did not have the blocks of cheeses like in the past. They only had plates with already cut off pieces of cheeses and a slice of carrot on them.

This is similar to the change during breakfast where they used to have trays of several fruits and you could take what you wanted. They had pre-mixed fruit cups. Tough luck if your medication interferes with grapefruit....

It is a cutback. There is less cheese/fruits used this way.

The Lido on Oosterdam had trays of fruit. Always the same--cantaloupe, watermelon, honeydew melon, apricots (canned, I guess). Sometimes they had the sliced bananas in OJ, I love that! And also the mixed fruit salad, which was mostly melon and some grapes. No strawberries, alas. I think the cheese at lunch was on platters, not made-up individual plates, but I'm not sure about that.