Four Ladies....one room....Yikes!

jenlaur

The title says it all. We are in a superior balcony. Any tips that may this easier for 5 days? I already heard the one about showering in the gym. Excellent idea. Any more tips??? :rolleyes:

OK gang....I have to edit this due to the responses I am getting. We sail a week from tomorrow. So there will be no getting 2 rooms or adjoining rooms as it is sold out. We just need some tips on how to survive the week. As I said, gym showers it is for me. I already bought an extra 3 outlet plug. Anything else??

Edited by jenlaur

Get connecting insides if that's what you can afford. Just thinking about who gets to sleep in a real bed would be a deciding factor for me. Could have done it in my college days, but that was a very long time ago.

The title says it all. We are in a superior balcony. Any tips that may this easier for 5 days? I already heard the one about showering in the gym. Excellent idea. Any more tips??? :rolleyes:

OK gang....I have to edit this due to the responses I am getting. We sail a week from tomorrow. So there will be no getting 2 rooms or adjoining rooms as it is sold out. We just need some tips on how to survive the week. As I said, gym showers it is for me. I already bought an extra 3 outlet plug. Anything else??

Learn where the nearest public toilet is.

Bring earplugs

And nose plugs

Pack some magnetic hooks/clips. They'll come in handy since the room will have very few places to hang tote bags, towels, swimwear. The walls are metal so you can use the magnet hooks anywhere. While you're at it, some extra hangers will come in handy too. You can always ask cabin steward for more but they have limited supply. Pack a hanging shoe organizer to hold sunscreen, hats, toiletries.

Hopefully your cabin has pullman beds vs. having two people share the pull-out sofa. Those sofas are not big...cannot imagine two adults sleeping on one for a week. If that's your situation, at least rotate through so that everyone gets at least a couple nights in a real bed.

Good luck to the four of you...it's going to be an interesting week.

Start packing now or at least sort out what you THINK you might take, then repack & reduce by about a third. Once on board ask your steward for more hangers.

I always put the coffee table in the wardrobe to give us more space & there is only 2 of us.

Make sure all your wash stuff is in one bag, especially if you are showering in the Gym.

Take an airfreshener

Make friends with someone who is a single traveller

Can't think of anything else just yet except "Good Luck" :D

Thanks for the tips....keep 'em coming! I, for one, will not be spending a lot of time in the room so not too worried. I've decided on my shower place. I am hoping our bags fit under the bed. I've already planned on bringing hangers but the magnetic hooks are a great idea! I'm also packing hand soap (hate those little bars), ear plugs and made some lavender "poo-potporri". I also bought the premium drink package so hopefully I will sleep well ;)

Carry on luggage only - no cheating. You will probably have 6 drawers and 6 closet shelves, so two people get two shelves and one drawer and two people get one shelf and two drawers. Closet hangers are another story - you can ask for more. Lower bed people get bedside drawers and upper bunk or sofabed people get the bathroom cabinet plus the thin drawers. Basically just split up the room evenly.

Even if you're not flying, everyone brings only shampoo, conditioner, etc in 3 oz bottles and no more than what fits in a TSA quart bag. Limit the shoes/person. Store dirty clothes back in the suitcases under the beds.

1. Minimize the time you actually spend in the cabin (open space is your friend)

2. Use the public restrooms around the ship when possible (especially for applying makeup)

3. Stagger the times for using the stateroom bathroom during peak times (i.e., early morning and evening)

- early risers go first and minimize noise to not disturb the late risers

4. To avoid cabin clutter, keep some clothes in your suitcases and store under the bed

5. Be patient & courteous with one another

A small portable generator for all the hairdryers, curling irons, and straighteners.

Ha! Fortunately we are all mature (aka >50) and when you come to a certain age you learn to streamline your prep time! As for me....I have reserved my shower and my outlet at the gym!!

The biggest tip I can think of is just for all of you to go into it with a positive attitude and be aware that space will be a bit tight.

If you 4 are close enough to consider this arrangement then you are probably close enough to enjoy the experience together. I wouldn't worry about. Folks tend to enjoy making others nervous...so, I'd only pay attention to the helpful posts from people offering actual tips.

Heck, I've camped with more people in a smaller tent for just as long.

I've done it and survived but it would have been better if we discussed luggage (how much) in advance and set a limit. Three of us were fine but No. 4 brought everything but the kitchen sink and then took over every available flat surface in the cabin. We still love her but she seemed oblivious to the problem. Love and alcohol cover a multitude of sins :)

Edited by FiftySailsOfGrace
additional comment

Different ships, different advise possibly.... Edited by Thetrail