Should I purchase drink package now or when we get on the ship?

gritsnc

Is there ever a difference in price? Will we have to wait in a mile long line to purchase it when we arrive on the ship?

One advantage to purchasing pre-cruise is that if the price goes up, you are locked in at the lower price.

Advantages to waiting until you are onboard: you don't have to buy for the entire cruise if your cruise is more than 4 days; you can use OBC to purchase, there may be discounts.

We have pre purchased my husbands beer package on our last 3 cruises so it was nice to not see that figure added at the end to pay. It was already taken care of, as were the Gratuities. Last cruise we had the lowest on board charges we have ever seen. Let me add, we still tipped extra,

Edited by Desert Cruizers

I thought that I was going to wait and purchase my drink package on board, but since I booked my cruise, the price went up . . . . TWICE. However, I knew that I was going to get one for my cruise. Just purchased it today - for a cruise next week.

So - I would recommend pre-purchasing - unless you have a good amount of OBC. I've heard that there are on-board or embarkation day discounts, but haven't seen one in my last 4 cruises.

Either way - it all depends on what and how much you plan on drinking.

Hope that helps.

I thought that I was going to wait and purchase my drink package on board, but since I booked my cruise, the price went up . . . . TWICE. However, I knew that I was going to get one for my cruise. Just purchased it today - for a cruise next week.

So - I would recommend pre-purchasing - unless you have a good amount of OBC. I've heard that there are on-board or embarkation day discounts, but haven't seen one in my last 4 cruises.

Either way - it all depends on what and how much you plan on drinking.

Hope that helps.

How often do they raise the prices?

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

How often do they raise the prices?

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

One can never tell. It seemed like it didn't go up at all leading up to our last cruise in October. However, we booked this cruise (next week) in December and it's gone up (slightly) twice. Usually it goes up (about) the price of one drink. So - you'll need to drink ONE more drink (or coffee or soda or whatever) per day to make it worth it. :)

If you don't drink a lot daily, then the package might not be worth it. Especially on sea days my husband can average 6 beers/day so worth it to get the package. We figure we save $100 by buying the package but you need to judge for yourself based on the number of drinks ( Alcohol or soda) you drink daily.

I was under the impression that if you bought the package while still in the us or us waters you got charged tax for the package but if you waited until you were in international waters you would not have to pay tax on Carnival cruises. Is it different on RCI?

Can I have it both ways? Can I purchase it now and if it were to go down or I start hearing about discounts could I then cancel it and get a refund & purchase onboard?

I'm just a lowly C&A Gold so I'm not expecting that type of discount. I also only have $100 OBC and gratuities will more than cover that.

I was going to wait and buy ours on the ship but last Aug/Sept ish I wrote down the totals for 5 of the different packages and I checked again last month and 3 of the 5 had went up in price. We were planning on getting the replenish one and it was one that hadn't gone up so I just bought it thinking they are probably go to raise that one soon too.:eek:

I was under the impression that if you bought the package while still in the us or us waters you got charged tax for the package but if you waited until you were in international waters you would not have to pay tax on Carnival cruises. Is it different on RCI?

No tax is charged on beverage packages

Can I have it both ways? Can I purchase it now and if it were to go down or I start hearing about discounts could I then cancel it and get a refund & purchase onboard?

I'm just a lowly C&A Gold so I'm not expecting that type of discount. I also only have $100 OBC and gratuities will more than cover that.

Yes, you can purchase now and cancel up to some specific number of days before the cruise, something like 3 or 4 days. If you miss the cutoff you have to cancel onboard, but cancelling onboard gives onboard credit, not a credit to your credit card.

I've been going back and forth about buying the drink package for my next sailing. It's a 10 night sailing, so I think I may just buy it onboard on the 4th or 5th day.

I think your strategy is a good one.

We have always booked our drink packages in advance. Last years cruise, the price had increased but since we booked early we were locked in on the lower price.

I also like booking in advance since we usually like to have a drink as soon as we are on and that way its all taken care of. No waiting to sign up.