I know big girls don't cry, but.........

KnickKnack

I think Princess they are stationary but there is ample room in the stall.

Okay, the only Princess ship I've sailed is the Caribbean Princess. We had a regular balcony room. It was the smallest shower I've EVER seen! I'm tall (6'1") but not wide (so to speak) and I've never sailed Princess again because that shower was so difficult.

Okay, the only Princess ship I've sailed is the Caribbean Princess. We had a regular balcony room. It was the smallest shower I've EVER seen! I'm tall (6'1") but not wide (so to speak) and I've never sailed Princess again because that shower was so difficult.

Tall isn't the same as full-figured. I'm not tall so I can't relate. I've been on the CB and many of the other Princess ships. For me it was no problem width wise. I take your word for it that it's not for tall people.

Tall isn't the same as full-figured. I'm not tall so I can't relate. I've been on the CB and many of the other Princess ships. For me it was no problem width wise. I take your word for it that it's not for tall people.

Oh, it wasn't the height that was the issue (though I couldn't possibly have bent over and picked up the soap if I'd dropped it! LOL), it was a skinny, skinny shower. It was so tiny I don't know how a BBW would be able to deal with it. My ex-husband is thin and he felt the same way. I would love to cruise Princess again, but dealing with a tiny shower is a deal-breaker for me.

I am a big woman, I've never cruised but would love to. Are the room accomodations able to accommodate me?

For example, I need shower room and a commode that's not jammed in a corner. Any ideas or recommendations for a specific cruise line?

I need to leave from new york.

Thank you

I second Princess... mini suites have bath tubs, so do most of the older Holland America ships..

On the NCL Ships such as Norwegian Gem and on Breakaway, which also sails from New York, there are some wonderful suites that have the largest shower rooms I've ever seen onboard any ship. On Gem, you would want a 2 bedroom Family Suite with Balcony. The shower is big enough for at least 4 people to fit in there comfortably. The bathroom is also large with 2 sinks, a separate room for the toilet and a separate tub. There is an identical suite within The Haven which is meant for 2, called The Haven Courtyard Penthouse - it only lacks the second bedroom. Then there is The Haven 2 bedroom Family Villa.

On NCL Breakaway, there are similar suites with the huge walk in shower.

Be careful to distinguish on Gem between a Penthouse Suite, which only has an average size bathroom and The Haven Courtyard Penthouse which is the one with the huge bathroom.

On Breakaway, the Mini-Suites and Penthouses have a larger bathroom with a shower that is the size of an average bathtub footprint with glass sliding doors. I would think this shower could possibly work well for you also. Certainly the bathroom, with its double trough sink is plenty big for anyone.

Finally, there are spa cabins in all categories on Breakaway and the really large showers are in the spa dressing rooms or you can buy a weeklong spa pass to use these areas. However, I am pretty confident that the mini-suite or larger suite bathrooms on Breakaway would work great for you and that the 2 bedroom Family Suite or The Haven Courtyard Penthouse or The Haven 2 bedroom Courtyard Villa would also work very well for you.

also on NCL, most mini-suites (MUCH less than suites) have a full bathtub with shower in that. The toilet area is cozy, but I didnt feel at all cramped and Im not exactly skinny (22/24). This isnot just on the "mega" ships, but also on the smaller ones.

Hope that helps.

Edited by Starflyr3

OK ... here is some real advice from someone who's been there, done that.

DH is a very large man (6'2" 450 pounds). We have cruised in regular cabins until this last cruise, when he began traveling with a scooter. If you see my signature, all cruises have been on Carnival.

The showers are a little tight, but nothing that can't be worked with. The entire bathroom is designed to get wet, so as long as you don't leave anything out that shouldn't get wet, if water splashes outside the curtain, no biggie. The toilets are fairly close to the wall, but he has always managed and not complained (and believe me, he would complain).

The lounge chairs have never been an issue; however, chairs in the lido and dining room (depending on your ship) have arms. If you find these to be uncomfortable, choose a lido table that has a half-booth and sit on that side, or take your food out to a lounge chair. In the dining room, for YTD, they have the same half-booth option and will also provide a chair without arms for the asking.

As far as handicapped cabin suggestions above, the bathroom in our handicapped cabin on our last cruise was no larger than those in the regular rooms, it simply had no lip and did have a fold-down seat.

Go on a cruise and have fun!! Just remember, it is what you make it. If you go expecting to be miserable, you will be. If you go believing that the cruise line wants to do everything they can to make you comfortable (and generally they do) and you can make the best of every situation, you will have a great time.

Edited by Schoifmom

I have a good friend who has many health issues including a serious back problem. They always book an accessible cabin but she told me that she had to produce a doctors letter to the effect that she needs this type of accommodation before the cruise line would allow her to book an accessible cabin.

We often are on cruises with a couple who has a bit of a problem because he is very big in every way ... past defensive linebacker for a pro team.

They have found the mini-suites on Princess work out fine for them.

Having the bathtub makes the shower area considerably larger. The full sized couch is a big plus for him. :)

LuLu

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

My best suggestion would be to go through a cruise travel agent. These folks really know their stuff and you can usually get a better deal through them anyway. They should know how to help you get your needs met, whatever they may be.

I hope you give it a go - but fair warning, cruises are addicting! :)

If you need a large shower, just book book a cabin with a large bathroom. You would be uncomfortable in a normal size bathroom! I would not book a handicapped room, unless I was really handicapped! Have a great cruise!

Edited by IsanTom

book a handicapped room. book early because they do fill up fast. Don't let anyone here guilt you out of it, you need to be able to clean yourself properly so look at it as a health issue. you are entitled to be clean and comfortable on your cruise just like anyone else. And technically if you are unable to fit in the shower it would be considered a 'handicap' in that regard. If you were to call the cruise line and explain they would agree. Also if you need rails to get off of the toilet then there is yet another reason to use it.

No it won't be considered a handicap. Sure the cruise line would probably agree that one needs to be clean but, would they consider it a handicap? VERY doubtful. Like someone else posted, they seen plenty of large people, as I have, and they sure didn't look dirty or smell.

I am a size 20 and have been bigger. it is hard to move in the shower stalls. I have to put my foot on the toilet to wash my legs and such (;)) Ifyou are unstable or have bad knees this isn't an option.

I am very sensitive about handicapped issues as my daughter is a paraplegic and we struggle every day over things people never think about. Getting a handicapped room is one of them. we can never book on a whim, we have to book about a year out just to get a handicapped room. In your instance it is a health reason for needing one. On this site, overweight people are just above smokers and non-tippers. Don't be shamed out of enjoying your time.

Also there are people of every single size on a cruise. Don't ever let your size deter you in your dream vacation.

Very strange, you say you struggle with getting a handicapped cabin but yet you recommend getting one to someone who is not handicapped. Yes, there are people who are large AND have a handicap but the OP said nothing other than being a big girl. There have been lots of ways posted that the OP can enjoy a cruise.