All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

I hope everyone had a great holiday weekend.

Santa was very good to me. I opened a box that had a Red Sox banner and license plate holders in it. Then I saw a white binder. It had about five pages in it of pictures with captions. I'm going to Boston for a weekend in June to see them play! What a great surprise that was.

It's been a fun and special weekend with family

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Santa was also very good to me . Gary gave me a beautiful ring . He is now telling everybody we are engaged . We have been together 16 years and engaged 3 times .We are permanently engaged to be engaged .I also got a large JJill gift card , perfume and a purse .Weather was too warm for Christmas but nice for outside dining .

Ooh, nice gift Laurie! Where are you staying in Boston? My hometown, if I can give you any pointers just let me know.

Well, the surprise went off perfectly. Our youngest grandson (16) used his own money to fly out from CA to CO to see his Dad. We had prearranged brunch & Les & I drove to Denver to pick him up early in the morning the day after Christmas. We walked into the restaurant & sat down. Our grandson slid into an open chair beside his Dad & said I'll have the strawberry banana French toast. The look on our son's face was priceless (& no one took a picture [emoji22]). What a great day!

Our handy daughter made this for me. So cute20606d5f65b4499ccbe00ea46d266153.jpg

Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I hope everyone had a great holiday weekend.

Santa was very good to me. I opened a box that had a Red Sox banner and license plate holders in it. Then I saw a white binder. It had about five pages in it of pictures with captions. I'm going to Boston for a weekend in June to see them play! What a great surprise that was.

It's been a fun and special weekend with family

What a great present ! I love Boston .

So fun to hear about everyone's gifts! I hope you all had a lovely day. I haven't gotten my present yet, as we didn't want it to arrive while we were away, but I'm getting a new tablet. So that I would have something to open on Christmas, DH let me loose in Soma while we were in FL, and now I have some pretty new things including a gorgeous purple nightgown.

On Saturday we went kayaking in a nature preserve and stopped at a small beach that is only accessible by boat. We saw lots of interesting water birds, and went by Stephen King's house. What an awesome Christmas Eve!

20161224_102830small.jpg.f94ccd9ad0c89ea34c24df8bcf630717.jpg

20161224_104220small.jpg.d55dcce49a8f893967554b25ff135278.jpg

Sally, my brother got to meet him when he did a book signing at the store where he works. He says he enjoyed their conversation so much. I haven't been to Casey Key in years. We used to go down there to The Flying Bridge.

Laurie, I was thinking of you yesterday because we now have one of those eat-in theaters. We went to see Rogue One there with friends last night:

http://ny.eater.com/2016/10/10/13232606/ipic-theater-food-menu-nyc

Sally, "engaged to be engaged" had me laughing.

Go for it, Sally!

Melody, we are staying for Friday and Saturday night at the Holiday Inn on Beacon Street. When my husband was looking for a hotel to stay at, he was told this is nice and close by, and that there was easy transportation to and from Fenway.

I have to look things up to see, as I'm a planner by nature. At the same time, I love a surprise and I am almost certain that my husband spoke to our regular travel agent as well as someone he works with who goes to games every year, so I feel good about the choices made.

Any suggestions you have would be wonderful! I love the idea of driving down the day before the game,nice and early. It gives us a chance to explore and relax. Then, we don't have to drive home the day of the game which is nice also.

Margaret, it sounds like you are having a wonderful time!

We are due to get another snowstorm. The timing is lousy, in that my husband is having carpal tunnel surgery in the morning. I really don't like the idea of driving in a storm!! Maybe it will time itself for before or after, lol.

With a long weekend, and hanging out at home for whatever my husband needs, I plan to get out cruise clothes. I'm trying to decide which red dress to bring with me. I posted pictures of each of them recently. I think the lace dress is easier to wear, so to speak. At the same time, I think the other dress is pretty special, and the shoulder area is different. It is not a dress I can wear just anywhere, so I want to wear it when I know it is appropriate.

I know I've mentioned this before, but I sometimes have bank functions I need to attend, and there is a tendency to be ultra conservative, so a split shoulder, although not inappropriate by any means, would probably not go over as well.

I know of two functions that typically occur in February or March that we will likely go to so I'm thinking ahead a little.

But choosing the rest should be fun. I think the hard thing will be narrowing down the options, since I have been trying to make better choices using all the info I'm pulling together between our style statement, wearing earth colors and our newer dressing your truth concepts. I feel like I really like the more recent purchases I've made more than I have in a long time. I hope to bring a mix of things, not all dressier or all casual.

Melody, I love the rack that holds the coffee cups and wine glasses! Me and my sisters live by that rule too. :D:D

Laurie, you have some fun planning to do!

A fun thing happened today... DH has an acquaintance who gave us suite tickets to the Jets game on Sunday. So, I'll be attending my first professional football game, and doing it in style! You should see the menu!

I took lots of family photos on our trip to FL, but this one is relevant here. Check out these AIR, EARTH (me), and ICE girls in different shades of purple. Lately I have been experimenting a bit with my deep autumn colors, trying shades that aren't exactly EARTH, like the deep purple in this photo.

purplegirlssmall.jpg.4eec7f56b97c59317da0d03757e44b3d.jpg

Day one of the long weekend...

My husband is home from his surgery, and doing really, really well. He is napping off and on, but he feels really good. He hasn't even taken an Advil.

I wandered upstairs so to look at and try on my dresses. The trying on part was important for two reasons. Some things were purchased more recently than others, so it's possible some things might be a bit big now. Then there is the fact that I'm kind of fussy how things fit anyway, and I wanted to be comfortable.

Before you see the pictures, I wanted to mention that I really, really like to wear earth colors whenever possible. I just feel like it makes a difference, and I can see it. That being said, I can't always find what I want. My formal night dress is not earth. I will also post a link for that one if I can find it online to give you a chance to look at it better.

The picture isn't the best, but these are the front runners:

20161230_133406_zpsa9cyzaaa.jpg

The second dress form the left is a great green for me. It's really earthy, and much more of a true earth color rather than the neighboring soft earth. The true earth green maxi is going with me. It fits like the snake print dress does, but not as much of an a-line.

On the other hand, the soft earth dress is a fabulous, flattering fit. If it looks familiar, it's because it is the one that Anita posted that she purchased a little while back. I love that dress.

Now, my formal night dress...here is an up close of the color:

20161230_133502_zpsyal2vprc.jpg

Here is the link, for a better ideas of the style:

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-2678387/womens-chaps-sequin-trim-evening-gown.jsp?color=Black

It's necessary to point out that it has a surplice front, and it creates a keyhole in the front. The model is not as filled out as I am, so you can certainly see the keyhole effect on me. But it is tasteful, and it creates a really nice look.

Back to my picture, the dress on the far left is really nice. It is comfortable, and has a nice styling to it. It doesn't really seem bright enough in real life to call fire, yet it doesn't exactly say earth either. Funny thing is that I got a great clearance dress from WHBM in a truly muted coral color that I love. But it's a bit small yet. If it fits at cruise time, I may very well bring it because I have a fun necklace I really want to wear with it, lol.

There is the print maxi. I like this dress. Do I love it? Not sure, but I do like it a lot. I've worn it before, and it creates a nice sense of balance in the dresses, since I like to have that mix of casual, smart casual and formal.

The there is the red dress! That is 6 dresses, and this is a 5 night cruise. The orangey looking one on the left was added after I had the others out, as I wasn't feeling 100% on the choices. I was bothered by wearing two olive green dresses, but really, they are dresses that I love, so who cares, right?

For purposes of trying to decide, I grabbed a few other options. This is not a good picture, color wise. I took these on my phone, and I just realized how off the color was and I have everything put back in the closet right now.

20161230_133532_zpslpfnempf.jpg

The dress on the right in front is a wonderful, warm, rich brown. The one next to it is the other red dress.

One thought that went through my mind is how I look for variety, and these two dresses have a lot of texture to them.

I'm really not sure what to do! I would say the purple dress for formal night is a go, I really love it. The two olive dresses I love as well. I think I can get myself past the thought of bringing two dresses in similar colors because they are different styles and fabrics, and the colors are a bit different.

But what to do for the other two nights? I would like to wear a red dress on Valentine's Day.

The snake print dress isn't an option, because I need to have it hemmed. That phenomenon when lose weight, and a dress gets longer...but it is still a great fitting dress. It always needed to be hemmed but I don't want to wear stilettos with a maxi dress! :D

Thinking back to the Dressing your Truth concept, remember on the fire thread where Anita mentioned that I seldom wear prints, but when I do, they fall into a certain category? Well, I have a print dress, and it is not fitted. It looked nice when I ordered it, but when it came in, it was too big. I took it back to Dressbarn and they now had the dress in stock so I purchased it in a smaller size. It had a certain shape to it that I was comfortable wearing it, even though it was not a fitted dress. I tried it on, and it's too loose now. It is easy to take in, but because of the stretchy jersey fabric, I would like to have a professional do it, since I don't have a serger. I don't think I will have it back on time. It is an ideal print for a cruise, but the print is large. This is a case where something looks a lot better on than it does on the hanger.

Edited by laurspag

Once I have the dresses figured out, I will choose the jewelry and the shoes. Then I will move on to daytime casual wear. In Cozumel, we're going to Nachi Cocum for the day, so it will only be part of the day I will need a regular outfit.

I'm going to see what the forecast looks like closer to our sail date to decide on Key West. I have all sorts of thoughts, depending on the temperature. I can go from a skort to ivory skinny jeans. A sleeveless top to a lightweight sweater...that is going to be interesting.

Melody, how is your weather? We had some slippery stuff on the way to the surgery center, but it was clear going home. Now they are saying there will be some bands of snow between 4 and 6 tonight to watch for. The wind gusts are very, very cold. I think they said it is 29 degrees, but because of the windchill, it feels like 18. Seems colder than that!

Laurie, glad your DH is doing well, I've had that surgery (on my dominant hand, while I was still working). Best advice, fishing line for zippers & rubber bands for buttons. That way he can wear regular clothes instead of sweats!

Love all the dresses! You just need a longer cruise! We have our b2b on Liberty out of Galveston in April.

Our weather is insane. 68 yesterday, 4 last night & a high of 20 today. Snow expected next week, but we've just had weird weather all year!

Happy New Year to all 4f0384fff477a01a02be96e4f74b3ad3.jpg. Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Happy New Year, Melody! We do things a little bit quietly, plus my husband isn't 100% back to normal, as you can all imagine. We went to the gym this morning, and I advised him to stay away from the elliptical. I'm glad I did, as he has to keep his arm elevated still and it would have been awkward. But he appreciated getting out and doing something that felt somewhat normal, and we got a lot of walking in.

I'm contemplating a new swimsuit. I'm looking at Athleta, and their things are not too cheap. However, the quality is excellent. I'm thinking tankini, since I can get two different sizes and still cover my midriff.

Can I get some thoughts on color and style, based on my proportions? I don't think there is anything earth in these, so I lean towards fire, and there are a few of those. There is a color I am drawn to, but I am thinking it is air.

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=94580&vid=1&pid=964875172

This is one style I am looking at. New coral, antilles blue and wild bloom are the colors that I think could possibly work. Here are two other styles:

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=94580&vid=1&pid=964871162

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=94580&vid=1&pid=153155062

I think the last one is the most "iffy", in that those thin straps and very open neck area aren't the best for broad shoulders and a chesty build.

What do you all think?

I got out some secondary dresses for the cruise, but eliminated a few when trying them on. My orange sheath dress is too big, and I don't think I have enough time to have it taken in. The print dress I mentioned previously I tried on, knowing that it was too loose. It's bigger than it was so it is a definite no. I tried on the muted coral color dress that is too small, and it is really, really too small. No way will it fit by February. I really want to take it back, but I screwed up...it was a final sale!

There is a natural color dress I like, it needs some tweaking too. Not that it is big, I just sometimes have to adjust them because of the difference in sizing between the top and bottom part of my body.

If my husband feels up to it, I'm going to drag him to Movie Tavern to see the new Star Wars movie. Actually, I wouldn't be dragging him at all - he can't wait to see it. I was thinking tomorrow during the day, maybe.

Margaret, it will be fun to see what you think of the Jets game!

Laurie , I like the bathing suits but those tops look short . I would think they would leave a lot of skin exposed . Which is a cute look but maybe that is not what you want . I also like all your dress choices . That red lace would be perfect for Valentine's Day . I am thinking my transatlantic wardrobe since we will be gone three weeks and I only take one suitcase there will definetely be repeat outfits . Plus I need non wrinkling material so I am leaning toward knit pieces for evenings with maybe two knit dresses that can be dressed up or down . For day I am looking at exercise type wear and some other . I will have to rely on the laundry at least once or twice. I have done long trips but it has been several years. A lot to think about .

Laurie, I have the Athleta Twister Tankini in the bright turquoise--get the top in tall (that's a great price) it does run short. The bottoms fit nicely & wear well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by awhfy

I really like the lace dress a lot. I might just make a last minute decision. I like the texture variety too. So if I bring one red dress, the two green, the purple and the print maxi, I'm set. If I find myself wanting to make a last minute change, I am likely to put the orange one in there.

With the swimsuit, they have different bottoms. I'm short waisted so I usually don't have to worry. I currently have a tankini from them that I'm going to try on again to see. I'm leaning towards new coral in color. I keep rethinking about new bloom but that is probably air and I think it feels dark for me.

Sally, I really want to go on a transatlantic cruise sometime. I really look forward to hearing about it. I think I could figure out the limited luggage if I had to but it sounds very challenging.

Happy new year everyone!

Laurie...I have that twisted top tankini. I do like it but I will say that I have an issue with the straps, IIRC. That is, they are long for me, as most shoulder straps are and I think you have that same issue? I agree it runs shorter and will expose the midriff in a normal size...but even the normal size, I wish I could make the straps shorter than the normal adjustment, I think, so beware of that potential need to adjust.

Otherwise, the suit is good and supportive. It shows a bit more cleavage than I prefer, and that may be related to the strap issue.

With how much you like red, I think new coral would be a good color for you.

Laurie, I'm throwing in my vote for the twisted one too. IMO that is a very flattering and elegant style no matter what size bosom. I almost always have to shorten the straps on my bathing suits to get the amount of support I like.

We had so much fun today at the game! Here I am with former quarterback Jay Fiedler. You can tell he knows his season, right? He has the most beautiful green eyes. DH and I got autographed photos, too, and ate ourselves silly all day. So much better when your team wins, too, after sitting out in the cold all afternoon. :) Actually, we were in and out a lot. The suite was spectacular, with a fireplace, couches, barstools, and booths; blankets, handwarmers, and earmuffs for the cold... I could go on and on. Super fun day.

Best wishes for a happy and healthy new year! I hope we are all blessed with good things in 2017 while looking and feeling fabulous. :)

20170101_140814small.jpg.f5dac90fff75a61901df2e299140482c.jpg

Margaret,, what fun! I would have a blast doing something like that. And I must say...what a handsome guy! You made some great memories for sure.

I want that bathing suit to go on sale! But I might give it a try even though it is regular price. I plan today to try on the suits I currently have. I think that will help me decide. Bathing suits have a way of stretching with you and I really want to pay attention to the fit.

I've always put a lot of thought into my outfits. Back in about 2015, I got ready for dinner the first night of my cruise. I realized I had to try different bras so that it would show on the sides under the arms and then my necklace didn't lay right. Since then I've tried to make sure that an outfit is right on more than just my list.

The really nice benefit of that, besides getting me excited about my cruise, is knowing that what I have planned works. It just takes the fussing out of the equation so that I can get dressed and enjoy and feel good about myself.

Margaret ,That sounds like so much fun . We had a quiet holiday . Went out for dinner and came home .I spent yesterday taking down the decorations and the tree . This week is back to normal . Yeh ! I have been thinking about our cruise and realized that I have eight days when we will probably hit the dining room after that We will be on long day tours and probably just hit the windjammer and relax in our room so I need less dressy clothes than I thought . I need more touring type all day outfits and of course they have to be comfortable . Than in November I am taking my grandsons to Disney World . This is going to be an expensive year travel wise .

By the way, I do have two Athleta swimsuits. One of them is a one piece in saffron red that finally fits the way it should. The other one I lost enough weight for so that it fits, but sadly, I made a mistake on the styling. It is the same style as the link below, but in a beautiful olive green. I can't seem to part with it, but i can't seem to wear it either. I sure wish I could get a different top! The bottom is a a little skirted thing...works very well for me. The top overlaps the bottom by a lot. Of course, it depends on the style, of both the top and bottom, plus I think I may have purchased a tall in the top. I will try to get a picture of the actual swimsuit later, but I really can't wear it.

The top barely seems to have straps, and it creates this massive skin area across the top, as if I was wearing something strapless. I just have way too much shoulder area for it.

http://athleta.gap.com/browse/product.do?cid=1072516&vid=1&pid=153202062

Right now, I have two one piece bathing suits that I can wear. That is good, but I would really like the ease of a two piece if I can get it so I'm leaning towards that new coral tankini now.