All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

On 1/26/2019 at 10:00 AM, MJC said:

It really was a trip of a lifetime. Truly incredible every day.

Kim, I can't thank you enough for all your wonderful advice.

Being a cruise and fashion site, I'm in a quandary about how much I should monopolize this thread with a safari day by day. Perhaps a park by park would be better? You guys lmk.

Laurie, it's fun to read about all the wedding plans. I had an indoor winter formal wedding that had to balance a lot of competing interests so I can't add anything very helpful, but it's fun to picture what you're talking about. I look forward to seeing the photos this summer!

Margaret, I'm sure I'm not in the minority when I say that I'd love to read the most minute detail of your trip. Absolutely everything! Love to hear the descriptions but also your impressions and thoughts along the way. 

Many years ago the MGM Grand in Las Vegas had a plexiglas structure where they brought lions to roam within its compound. I don't think that I can fully describe the structure but I'll attempt to paint a picture. This was quite a huge area (Las Vegas after all, the land where money means nothing) and you entered the area through a tunnel that was completely plexiglas, so you could see everything around you and above you. The lions would run across the top of this area and so you could look up and see them as they romped overhead. Anyway, I was inside the tunnel and this HUGE lion came running toward me, skidded to a stop, and locked eyes with me. I know what you felt when you said that you moved away from the window of the jeep when your eyes locked with the animal. Gosh. Heart pounding. And I was totally safe! But, I'll never forget that moment of being nose-to-nose, so to speak. I can't imagine the thrill of being as close as you were in a less enclosed environment.

Anyway, I'm truly fascinated with your trip. And any and all details are absolutely appreciated.

• Like 1

:classic_laugh:

I know you have mentioned this before, but I guess I did not pay close attention.  You worked with someone to get all of these different places to stay and tours coordinated?  Was there "on your own time" for things?  I noticed the beer test, which sounded like fun and got to thinking if it was something you discovered on your own or what.   

Those pictures belong in a magazine, they are just amazing.

Happy Belated Birthday, Melody🎂

Amazing pictures, Margaret! ❤️ 

We finally have a college decision for DD.  This weekend she attended Honors competitions for her top two choices (both with very different styles of programs) and it really helped to solidify her/our choice.  Of course it is the school that's around 8 hours vs. 4 hours, but it's the best fit for her and we have a good sense of peace about it.

Hope everyone has a good week - it is to be very cold here later this week.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, pacruise804 said:

Happy Belated Birthday, Melody🎂

Amazing pictures, Margaret! ❤️ 

We finally have a college decision for DD.  This weekend she attended Honors competitions for her top two choices (both with very different styles of programs) and it really helped to solidify her/our choice.  Of course it is the school that's around 8 hours vs. 4 hours, but it's the best fit for her and we have a good sense of peace about it.

Hope everyone has a good week - it is to be very cold here later this week.

Congratulations on your daughter's college choice

• Thanks 1

Everyone must be snowed in ,It is so quite on the board . I finally booked a cruise but is is for next year . A transatlantic going from Tampa to Bermuda, the Azores , Cork Ireland , Waterford Ireland and Amsterdam .We will then stay a few days in Amsterdam before returning home .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sailor_Sally said:

Everyone must be snowed in ,It is so quite on the board . I finally booked a cruise but is is for next year . A transatlantic going from Tampa to Bermuda, the Azores , Cork Ireland , Waterford Ireland and Amsterdam .We will then stay a few days in Amsterdam before returning home .

Sally, that sounds like a great cruise. Royal?  We weren’t hit with the polar vortex here in CO, in fact it’s been 60 this week. Melody 

• Like 1

pacruise, what a wonderful accomplishment to have under your belts. It's a lot of preparation, hard work, and stress, and now you know what's coming and all the wonderful things to look forward to. Congrats! :)

Sally, that looks like a nice itinerary, and easy for you to leave from Tampa. We often talk of being retired and spending January and February in Sarasota near my sister, with a seven day cruise or two thrown in, and maybe some long weekends in places we've never visited like Marco Island. This cold weather is really difficult with my knees being the way they are, and my hands often hurt in the cold. It was 2 degrees on Thursday for my first day of classes. I really just wanted to stay at home with my book (The Mysterious Death of Miss Jane Austen, rather plodding unfortunately).

I promise I'll get back to the safari. I just have so much paperwork to deal with from being away so long, including the guardianship report to do for my dad for 2018. I have to ration my desk time since sitting at the computer is one of the things that irritates my knee injuries. I've taken to standing with my laptop on the kitchen counter when I can. :)

• Like 1

Margaret , It has been the coldest January in Florida . I feel so sorry for people who came here for warmth because it has been damp & cold .I just finished a good book "Before the Fall "by Noah Hawley .It is about an airplane crash & the survivors . I could not put it down. I belong to a book club . I love it I get such good recommendations for reading .

We weren't snowed in...no snow...and thankfully, no rain either...but I did wake up to 18 degrees...feels like 13. And for several days there...my bedroom in my factory conversion loft didn't get above 59 degrees, despite the best efforts of the furnace all the way on the other side of the apartment. Overnight, with the heat turned down a bit so as not to completely leak all our hard earned dollars through the original circa 1960s factory windows that form two walls on my bedroom...the chill would dip down toward 50...which did make getting out of bed and doing ANYTHING something of a mental challenge.

The cold has broken though and unbelievably we are suddenly pushing 70 degrees and with sunshine unfiltered by heavy cloud cover my bedroom has risen to a balmy 76 degrees.

And I can finally breathe again...which is a major blessing. Nothing like not being able to breathe because of some sort of cold or sinusitis that makes it impossible to breathe...and especially TASTE any food for several days...and the simple act of being able to not feel a disproportionate weight on the front of your face while inhaling with a closed mouth has made me doubly grateful for today. Which is so much better than yesterday...despite the fact that after going to bed after midnight, I woke at 5 am to drive DH to the airport for his business week.

It was a long weekend though because he is traveling to VA, not FL, for a business trip...so he was home for 3 whole nights in a row and will only be gone for 3 nights because it is off Friday week and he will return, though late, on Thursday. So YAY!!

Meanwhile...I started actually doing the book "Moving Toward Balance: 8 weeks of Yoga with Rodney Yee" which I have owned since its publication in 2004. I've never made it past the first week for a myriad of reasons...which could include the affliction of the sinuses that accosted me on Day 3...under which duress I would not attempt a Downward Facing Dog or Forward Bend to save my life...as indeed, I felt that avoiding such positions WAS the life saving thing to do. I may start up on Wednesday, after a one week hiatus...and just pretend that the previous 7 days were of no consequence and continue on as if they hadn't separated Day 2 from Day 3.

And I've watched several documentaries which I would highly recommend watching...for any of you that have Netflix and like watching food programs. Cooking with Michael Pollen (pretty all sure) and Salt. Fat. Acid. Heat. with a lady I can't recall. I believe both are based on books and after watching the documentaries, I'm very interested in finding the books.

I have been reading the Year of Living Danishly by Helen Russell...and while I'm not sure that I appreciate all of her humorous similes, I am enjoying all the research she did to supplement her experience in moving to Denmark and living in "Sticksville" Denmark where her husband started working for Lego. They moved from North London where the grind of life was seriously getting in the way of their ability to feel like they were happy with their life so moving to the "happiest country in the world" as Denmark is known, was a great project for the freelance journalist that the author is. I haven't finished it yet, but I'm enjoying it. 

And I picked up that Bella Grace magazine again. And the two special editions. Which I am enjoying. ALSO...I found a fabulous publication out of Australia that is a combination of journalism and puzzles. Another thick paged, no advertisement magazine that I am loving...but I do love puzzles. 

We are close to a month out from our trip to London. Because of the logistics of DH working in Orlando and DS having an overnight birthday party the first weekend of Spring Break...we'll be driving down to Orlando where we pick up the non-stop to Gatwick. I'm planning on packing extremely light. I bought the junior version of the Motherlode backpack from eBays...and I plan to use that. DS needs to get in touch with the professors to arrange times to meet while we are there and then we can plan to tour the dorm options. We will be maximizing our few days there to arm ourselves with as much first hand knowledge as possible to be able to prepare DS for the fall. It all will be much more complicated if he ends up in one of the self-catering living arrangements...which simply means that he will have a kitchen and will actually have to feed himself. Which he will absolutely have to do, because we will not have the budget for him to eat out 100%.

pa...I bet you share in the peace that comes with having the possibilities of the future solidify. 

Margaret...we're all here waiting to hear whenever you have the time to share. I'm sure there is a bit to catch up on after being gone for so long. Going through everything and writing about it will be good for cementing those memories and keeping hold of details. I know you will do that so whenever you get to it, include us in your trip down memory lane.

Nice itinerary Sally! We have the one Feb 2020 cruise on the horizon. The furthest cruise I've booked has been 18 months in advance. Mom books far out all the time. I've done a mix...I haven't always had the luxury of knowing our schedule that far in advance with DS's school and activities, etc. and DH's work.

I'm glad you are starting to feel better, Anita.  I picked up a nasty cough over the weekend and it feels like the sinuses are starting to fill too.  Enjoy your extra time with your hubby ❤️ Best wishes for a safe trip to London.

Daughter got the news yesterday that she was not accepted for the Honors College portion 😞 She's taking it quite well but Dad and I are both pretty bummed for her.  They had more than twice as many apply as they had spots for, so we knew the competition was tight, but we really thought she would be a good fit.  At least she's still excited though - which is what matters 🙂 

So glad for warm weather!  I think our driveway might finish melting today.

Parcruise804. Too bad about the honors college portion. Is it something she can reapply for once she’s already in residence?  Good that’s she’s still excited. Such fun to watch them spread their wings

Anita, sounds like a superb trip upcoming!  Hope you’re over the crud by then. Melody. 

• Like 1

What a nice itinerary, Sally.  For me, I love the relaxation of going somewhere tropical and familiar, and then I love the excitement of going somewhere new.  I guess that means I'm happy with any cruise, lol.  :-) 

As we get more and more details figured out for the wedding, I find that I can think about our cruise a bit more.  Really, I just need to book my overnight hotel and a few excursions.  It's not a lot that has to be done.  When you could really use a vacation, it is easy to think about what you have coming up.  It's only a 6 night cruise with three ports, but it is all new for me.  I've wanted to do a Canada New England cruise for a while now.  The only thing I regret is not going with the 9 night on Anthem.  New ship, longer cruise, more places to see.  I think my biggest hesitation is that Anthem is very different, and although I look forward to research, learning and preparing, I think my husband would be a bit put off at first.  I have a friend who has gone on Anthem 3 or 4 times now, she loves it.  But we are different types of cruisers too.

One fun tidbit about the wedding...my husband and I stopped in Michaels for something, and he was asking me about something that my daughter is having him work on for the tables.  We have a few trees down in the wooded area near us, and our neighbor gave us permission to get some wood slices to use.  So my husband is showing me these cute mini chalkboards on a dowel, and asking if my daughter is using table numbers and assigned seating?  It was so much fun to see his participation.  She is not, but he is still happy that he gets to go get those tree slices for her.

Anita, I'm sorry that you have been sick.  It seems like most things these days are stubborn - they just linger and take all our energy.  You should be in good shape for London!  That must be so exciting for all of you.  Probably a little scary too.  My daughter did an internship back when she was in college that was in Albany.  It was something we could drive to in about 3 hours, but we had to get her set up with an apartment, being able to cook, etc.  There was so much to think about, because many of the kids in the internship with her were U of Albany students, and they were allowed to stay in their dorms and campus apartments where she was coming in from a different area, and had to find a place to stay for 5 months.  We lucked out because there was someone with an apartment that needed a person to take over their lease.  But she needed everything - basic furniture, food, pots and pans, towels, etc.  Some things she had already so we were lucky. 

They may have some info online to help you figure out what your son will need.  I would imagine it may be different than what you would expect here in the U.S.

Pacruise, you have so much going on too!  It is an exciting time.  There is a lot of competition for grants scholarships and other things.  My daughters used to get frustrated, because they were good students, honor students.  But with so many students and so few things available, it seemed impossible to compete.  My daughter was beyond elated when she was chosen for the internship in Albany.  I always tell them to keep trying.  Your path is your own, do your best and don't compare.  I am hoping that your daughter keeps her chin up! She has accomplished so much already!

Just a side note, but they say the Canada New England cruises tend to be more casual.  Alaska is supposedly the most casual, but our cruise is supposed to be close.  So I am thinking about formal nights a bit.  I'm not planning on purchasing anything new for the cruise, because I have been building my wardrobe a bit for just over a year now, and have had less cruises to go on so I have two jersey full length dresses to choose from, which are understated so would work out nicely.  I will have my high low dress from the wedding, also jersey.  I have a pretty lace cocktail dress that I am looking forward to wearing so, I simply have to narrow my choices down and figure it all out.  After the wedding.  :-)

I was a Canada Cruise years ago . One of my favorite cruises and yes it was casual . We only booked one excursion .All the others we caught local tours in town .I love seafood chowder so I had that at every port .We were there in early September and the weather was perfect . I did wear jeans but I really did not need a jacket at all.

Aw pa...it's hard to see these things happen to our kiddo. In our house, as hard as it is, we believe that the disappointment we may go through when such a door shuts simply helps us along a path that will ultimately be better though we don't understand that yet. Something about timing, an opportunity that you don't know about yet, people that you would have met that would be detrimental, people that you wouldn't have met that will be pivotal, God knows. So we let out the upset over the disappointment and then trudge along the new path. I get the sense that you are like minded. What I've learned is that it really helps to let all that disappointment out...and not try to rationalize those negative feelings away. Feel them and then let go...and then find out what going on along the unexpected path. I wish your daughter well.

I am feeling better again today, thank you all. Not 100% but so much better.

Laurie, when is your Canada cruise? I didn't remember that you were going on that. Very fun! Feels like you are flip flopping the Caribbean with these other destinations. Lovely. It'll be fun to read about a new destination!

I'm interested in sailing all the different classes of ships on Royal. The fact is that I like the idea of sailing on each one actually. Our Harmony cruise will be a bit of a repeat for me, as I sailed on Allure with Mom and Dad...but each ship does have it nuances, and it's a completely different itinerary so...not a new class checkmark, but a new ship. I haven't repeated a ship yet. Isn't that crazy? But I haven't taken that many cruises...compared to some. 

Anyway...I was looking an Anthem when I was looking at Harmony. I thought the idea of Anthem to Bermuda seemed like a nice balance of destination and many sea days...depending on the itinerary. I've thought about doing the Ovation in Alaska though...which I think is an Anthem class ship.

Thanks for the support, everyone.  Anita, we are like minded 🙂 There's an old Amy Grant song with a line about "a reckless car ran out of gas before it ran my way" that has stuck with me over the years.  We can rarely see the big picture but can trust that what seems hard now might actually be protecting us from something worse or positioning us for something better.

Melody, she can apply her sophomore year for another program within the college if she is still interested (she likely would not have the double major at graduation though with not doing all four years).  Either way we trust she will do well.

Laurie,  that is sweet how your husband is getting the wedding bug too.  We did a Canada cruise fall 2017 on Regal Princess and loved it.  I remember some cocktail dresses on formal night and at the Winemaker's Table, but no full gowns.  I wore an ankle length sheath style crushed velvet dress and had some wrist length gloves from my grandmother plus a cute dressy handbag we found at a thrift store.  One of my table mates was delighted to see the gloves, even though she and her husband don't dress up much anymore.  I was probably on the dressier end of the spectrum but didn't feel overdressed.  Day dress was also casual, but not as "sloppy" as I sometimes see on Caribbean cruises.

Our next cruise is in June on the Anthem to Bermuda (5 night).  It's the first cruise with our daughter and son (a graduation celebration for K).  We also have a land trip with the grandparents to Niagara Falls, ON in July.  I need to get serious again about my health and fitness so my summer clothes fit again:classic_blush:

• Like 1

It is so hard to see our children go through hard times .My daughter is 42 and I still worry about her every day .

It is so funny with dressiness on ships . Last year we went on two cruises to Cuba on the same ship . The first cruise more people dressed up and the second everyone was casual .You just never know .I tend to dress middle of the road .

• Like 1

Laurie, I forgot you were going on a fall cruise. Like Alaska, I think people have to bring more clothes for layering, so they don't go as all out for formal nights. On Princess there is definitely a difference in how formal things are on different itineraries. We also notice that people with late seating tend to dress up more than the early birds. It is always kind of strange to sit in the theater in a gown and tux, and have your neighbors in shorts and tshirts. We still love to dress up, though. It is part of our life in the city, so it isn't unusual or a hardship for us in any way.

I saw this dress in Manhattan yesterday. I wouldn't wear it at my age and size, but I thought how versatile it would be for travel. With flats for sightseeing, with boots for fall, with sparkly earrings and strappy sandals for evening. I don't know if it translates online, but it was really beautiful.

I've had a cold ever since I got back from MI. It seems to wind down, then I wake up with sore glands and a runny nose all over again. Very frustrating.

I've been playing with voice dictation on my computer in an effort to do less sitting. It's not very accurate, but my tablet is very good at it. So I almost have a post ready about our safari. I still can't believe how amazing it was. I look at my pictures every day. :)

Planning our Safari

I began by collecting articles and reading a lot online about traveling in Africa. We also talked to friends and acquaintances who had gone. Most had used one of the big companies, either Abercrombie & Kent, Thomson Safaris, or Miceli. Most of them had also gone on safari in South Africa. Our usual travel agent favored Miceli and I ordered brochures from all three companies. But, we really wanted to go to the Serengeti, not South Africa, and not to a private game preserve (because we thought that might feel too much like a zoo). Also, most of the itineraries of those companies included many things that we didn't want to do. We really were interested in seeing the animals and the beautiful landscapes:  we weren't interested in cooking classes or orphanage visits or some of the other offerings that really limit the number of game drives you get. All of those companies were really expensive, too, upwards of $20,000 for 7 days per couple in shared vehicles that caravan together.

So my next step was to do some research about planning our own custom safari. I had read about Kim's trip and thought I might be able to plan something similar. However, I quickly became bogged down in so much information about so many choices that needed to be made that it became very difficult to make even the most basic decisions. What company to use, how to choose a guide, what camps we might stay at, how many days we should be in one place, how to allocate travel time. At that point I was really stalled and didn't make any progress for a long time.

Then luck smiled on us when I won two tickets to the New York travel show one March. I didn't realize that they had all kinds of performances and talks and presentations that you could attend, and just my luck one of those was about going on a private safari. The thrust of the presentation was that you could go on a private safari for the same price or less as a very expensive tour but have a much better experience because you can handpick your lodges, go to the places you want to, and have a lot of autonomy. They passed out postcards, and mine then sat on my desk for two years. The company was African Portfolio based nearby in Connecticut.

During that downtime I had decided that we really wanted to focus on Tanzania, so I made a list of some of the locations that I had read about and thought we'd like to visit. That list was the jumping off point for my initial talk with Susan at AP.

What Susan was very helpful with was discussing those locations with me in depth, understanding what was where and the distances between, advising about how much time we might want to spend in each place, and the logistics of getting around the country. All of that really helped us to eliminate some things and choose how many days we would be there, which let her then give us a tentative itinerary. Once we had that, she put together a menu of places to stay for us to study and choose from.

Then I had to go to work on the frequent flyer tickets. Two things I decided based on price that ended up helping us to avoid the crowds, I think, was first to go in January (which is the low season compared to our summer when many families are traveling there) and second to leave on January 1st, right after the holidays when many people have used up all their vacation time and money. And in fact we did not run into many American families at all, just a couple of American couples traveling with college-age children, plus many groups or couples from all over the world, and mostly non-American college-age and young adults. I think I remember seeing a couple with a baby at one of the picnic areas, and somewhere a Spanish family with tweens. The children really stood out as there were so few. Once we saw a group of mostly mid-westerners with A&K. They were all quite a bit older than us, and two had canes. I just thought "yay for them," they were having a great time. They were in three vehicles that all traveled together.

I don't have anything against children. Or the elderly. We were just trying to eliminate any factors that might impede our ability to enjoy the animals in as natural a state as possible, and we wanted some independence. Every review of every safari that I read in my planning was a rave about the experience. I think most people have an excellent time whatever their choice.

Once we booked the flights, Susan went back and booked all the accommodations we had chosen and our vehicle and guide. We did not know who the company providing the guide and driver was until a week before we left, but they are the second largest in Tanzania and that was very helpful later on. I chose the accommodations first on the bed and bathroom because I knew that those two things would be the deal-breakers for Mark in terms of comfort, then on the experience they offered. I did eliminate one that was just too fancy. They were all quite different from each other and each one had something special.

Susan gave us a timeline and did follow up at every step. Did you get your shots? Do you have your malaria pills? Make sure you have good binoculars. Here is a link to the style of luggage we recommend. Did you know you can get your Kenya visa online now? All the hand-holding advantages of a group tour without the group. We also had great support in-country which came in handy a couple of times.

So, that was it for planning. Except for packing, which I shared earlier.

no_photo.png

• Like 2

Loving this Margaret!!! This is exactly the detail that is so helpful. I'm well aware of the effort it takes to share what you have done and I want to emphatically express my heartfelt thank you and appreciation for you! 

I'm curious as to why you think there's an age limit on that dress? I understand the body shape...sadly, I understand that all too well these days...and how you simply can't wear some things and feel your best...but I don't get the age idea. I could totally see you wearing that dress...it has a chic boho vibe that I think is very you. 

So I forgot to mention a book that I read recently that I REALLY enjoyed. Titled, I Will Always Write Back...it's the true life story of two pen pals. One from PA and one from Zimbabwe. It's the book equivalent of a good story afternoon movie, complete with happy ending.