All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Day 3 - Tarangire National Park

Please do not take liberties with the animals. 🙂

image.jpeg.b5cffcf67d0a99d830279b91ee5a3903.jpeg

Today was our first full day game drive, so as we were leaving for the day TT gave us box lunches for our later picnic lunch. We had the long drive to the ranger station where Amos got the permits to enter the park, and we had a short potty break (I think I will have the whole rest room/bush toilet/recommended supplies discussion later). We were allowed out of the vehicle here because we were not in the national park yet.

image.jpeg.e0af5a3dbb591c0236328e15422f4e7f.jpeg

We often saw skull sculptures like this one with an elephant and water buffalo:

image.jpeg.e424303e8ecc380f3ee486a480837e35.jpeg
We started seeing wildlife right away and it seemed as the day went on that they went from being in the distance to being closer and closer and closer. We were interested in the small things too, like this leopard tortoise:

image.jpeg.27429d1fcabf69b4a68d7444f539f25a.jpeg

a juvenile African Crowned Eagle:

image.jpeg.465e9e8b22b5bc6e36f037edfeaff318.jpeg

and our first jackal sighting:

image.jpeg.2df620415d7c357d27d9804d9d3ec7e4.jpeg

Because we came in a sort of back entrance, in this part of the park we didn't see any other people for a long while. The animals were farther away in general but we also got to enjoy the absolutely beautiful landscapes. Some areas of the park had grasslands, in some areas there were small hills and trees, and in other areas the trees were very thick and the road would wind this way and that until you'd come around the corner and see something surprising, like bat-eared foxes. At one point we're high up on a hill looking down through the valley where the Tarangire River ran through, and we saw hundreds of elephants dotted among the trees along the water. After yesterday's rain, we had some magnificent skies.

image.jpeg.9b67328b21acc09383eb8ee80a387124.jpeg

Edited by MJC

Tarangire National Park, continued:

My assumption was that we would see an elephant here or there, or small groups of them together in the distance, but in fact we saw more elephants than you could ever imagine in one place. At first it was seeing some at a distance:

IMG_0722b.JPG.01a3e3f9a0ec6ebb9d270088715ba785.JPG

IMG_0723b.JPG.49d2fffc55c74dc308cf34a58394c9e0.JPG

then it was seeing them together and in families

IMG_0726b.JPG.67cfe5d4a962c4db4df03d66c117df18.JPG

IMG_0724b.JPG.ca99d8b261a3ae9e492151d18d567209.JPG

then by the road

IMG_0729b.JPG.7af2a4cd1900abfa1af465ff8be5aa4d.JPG

IMG_0728b.JPG.77decc126864387346613a8f287759cf.JPG

then IN the road. Before you knew it, you were surrounded by a family, just just crossing right and left, in front of you, behind you, all around you, because they don't have any idea that there is a road there. They just go wherever they want.

IMG_0731b.thumb.JPG.457a3ec6d1a69fa007733932ce932a13.JPG

IMG_0730b.JPG.5fe7c7d94ee3ace68d04b5e5d274293b.JPG

This last one gave us the stink eye and a kind of growl as she passed.

This was true of the elephants, the giraffes, the baboons, the impalas... there was just wild animals all around us that day. Spectacular.

• Like 1

We had one of those exciting moments when we got to go splashing through a river. Then we went up a bit and looked behind us.  All along the river, elephants dotted the landscape as far as the eye could see in groups of 40 or 50. Hundreds, just hundreds of elephants.

IMG_0777b.JPG.bc4dfde435d3a5c0927e457ee22b5315.JPG

You would expect that seeing seeing a group of elephants would get boring after a while, but in fact every new family was just so much fun to watch -- the babies of all different ages , the juveniles, young ones just sporting new tusks. Each elephant has their own face like a person, you can look into their eyes and see so much beauty there, it was really really special.

We stopped for our picnic lunch at the front gate where there were some shops selling sodas and sandwiches. They had picnic tables with umbrellas (nice because it was very hot by then) and that's where we finally saw quite a few people. It was very interesting to hear all the languages being spoken and see how they were dressed. It was a bit unusual for us because we had been on our own for so much of the day, and the day before too. We felt like we had the whole park to ourselves for most of the time. We enjoyed watching the vervet monkeys come down from the trees and steal people's food when they weren't watching.

TT had packed a feast for us of pasta, beef stir fry, fried chicken, fruit, sliced cucumbers, bread, delicious carrot salad that had pineapple and raisins in it, and cake. They also included Diet Coke and juice, and we had our water bottles, so at the end we were quite stuffed. We packed what we didn't eat for Amos as a late night snack. There were clean restrooms there to use, and then we were off again.

IMG_0789b.JPG.09e26b907ba7cce9422f3abe6bc1ecc7.JPG

guinea hen:

IMG_0748b.JPG.9d25a5a8788d08e9babf5a596358a997.JPG

impala:

IMG_0739b.thumb.JPG.2f3b30a00613016d497ccaeee5fd10fa.JPG

mongoose:

IMG_0747b.JPG.5255b7808f7dc0f25fa8a13e437064a6.JPG

water bucks:

IMG_5924b.JPG.dbd82b925bf49a02012c135dd1044755.JPG

ostrich:

IMG_5885b.thumb.JPG.bdb10e8efa9d4f09b0106a5d8df8b7b3.JPG

We had a running joke that the day wasn't complete until we saw a guinea hen. The first one was so interesting, and then we just saw them everywhere. The pigeons of Tanzania. 🙂

• Like 1

Since we were now by the main gate, we had other vehicles on the road with us for a while as we traveled. However, it was maybe five or six at the most, whereas in the high season it can be a hundred. At one point a very large giraffe crossed the road right in front of us. With their slow loping gait, they're so fun to watch.

IMG_0696b.thumb.JPG.c59a32ee7fed8c7354fd3619d38e98c2.JPG

IMG_0697b.JPG.aacf9235a6b35a1832518c2197bdfc9b.JPG

We learned that if there are tufts of hair on the horns, they're female. The males wear the hair off when they fight.

IMG_5911b.JPG.97f3628e7bf074aeaed98a8c6e99941b.JPG

Then we had our first lion sighting of the trip. We weren't expecting to see them here because we had read that the big cats tend to follow the migration north at this time. The lions were sleeping under a tree at quite a distance from us.

IMG_5948b.JPG.d0eef4af3b1ac8c5992ea4cfe9360b15.JPG

After that we watched some very busy warthogs and their babies, and got to see some males fighting:

IMG_0790b.JPG.2bb66935bc72a0b0883e4687633dc330.JPGIMG_0792b.JPG.97502b1a3b7df28263462898c4c822fe.JPGIMG_0791b.JPG.fabccdf212dc3c46d3954c1b8c41ad8b.JPG

Then we were entertained by some baboons:

IMG_0800b.JPG.2c0ff38db9c9404d077d63f7ba7b83c6.JPG

IMG_8001b.JPG.35dd524a2086801f251e6e4545b14afa.JPG

You might think that being in the park all day would get boring after awhile but honestly it seemed like there was always something new and fun to look at.

• Like 1

Tarangire National Park - Finale

As if the day hadn't been spectacular enough, we had the great luck to find a pride of lions relaxing under a tree not 20 feet from the road:

IMG_6057b.JPG.3c93d754cad44d8a5f0d21dd7aa8b0d2.JPG

I think this is my favorite picture from the trip because the little one's face is just priceless.

IMG_6080b.JPG.6697e9a8f7996a5f67e7fe9717940dc6.JPG

As we wound our way back through the park to the back gate, we were more and more on our own again. We just couldn't  believe that we had had such a spectacular day. We had seen so much and felt like if it ended now we would have gotten everything we had ever wanted out of the trip. We felt very lucky. There was one last beauty waiting for us, a tawny eagle:

IMG_0732b.JPG.0ca6e2f7d61759b5524c73cc2cacbbfc.JPG

Once again it was back to the lodge, take showers and rest for a while, put on fresh clothes, and make our way to dinner. Tonight they had set up dinner around the pool with candlelight. Again there were only three couples having dinner and we were spaced apart so that our conversations would be private. The night sky was stunning, the sheer number and density of the stars like nothing we can see at home. Before dessert, the staff came out singing a song and pounding on different things from the kitchen to make music -- stew pots, wooden spoons, all kinds of things --  to sing Happy Birthday to the one of the couples by the pool. It was very sweet and we enjoyed it very much. After dinner the lodge had arranged for all of us to go on a night drive if we wanted to. The vehicle was fitted with a special chair in the front where the spotter sat with a giant flood light, and he and the driver would look for eyes glowing in the in the night to find animals for us to see. It was kind of spooky being out all by ourselves like that. We did see a handful of animals, reedbuck running and leaping when they saw us, some spring hares which they call African kangaroos because they have tiny little front legs. They spring up and down on their back legs -- google a picture, they're adorable. We also saw a Spotted Genet with its beautiful markings.

After dinner it was time to pack since we were leaving in the morning to move north and our next destination. We loved our treehouse and the pampering of the staff. We were pleasantly surprised by the quality of the food and in fact we complemented the chef each night when he came by our table. We were so happy we had decided to stay there.
no_photo.png

• Like 2

Margaret, we’re thoroughly enjoying your safari adventure, Les & I are enjoying your pictures so much. He asks what kind of camera(s) are you using?  I love the pride of lions shot as well, I’d have to enlarge that one & frame it, the cub’s face is priceless. Melody

I was using a Canon SX60 HS. I have a good eye from all those painting classes as a child, but I'm not a technical photographer. Mark is more knowledgeable in that area than I, so I let him pick the camera. He knew I wanted something easy to use, and since I already have a Canon I was familiar with the button setup and the menu system (though both are slightly different from my old cameras). Most of the ones I took were on the most basic settings in the Program mode.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/powershot-sx60-hs?cm_mmc=GA-_-CameraGroup-_-140918Brand Paid Search-_-Canon SX60 HS&Ap=PowerShot Cameras&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIs7a70sbA4AIVmsDICh1A0grqEAAYASAAEgJIi_D_BwE

We both took pictures of the closest lion family, but Mark took the best one that I posted above. It's just precious.

• Like 1

Continuing to love your story Margaret. That cub face is the BEST. But all your photos are fun to see. I especially appreciated how the elephants were closer and closer. Great story telling with photos. 

We went to Academy this morning and looking over the clearance items, there was a neck gator thing...wear it around your neck...as a headband...as a lower face mask. Wear it damp to cool yourself off. Sun protection. It matches my rash guards so I bought it and I'm going to give it a shot to see how it is for breathing more water vapor. I'm very interested to see how that might be as flying can be so very dehydrating and if we are sleeping, as hopefully we will, we won't be drinking water.

Depending on how this neck gator thing works...might just use a scarf. That's a great tip Melody.

So, how do you use melatonin to combat jet lag?

• Like 1

I have a lot of trouble sleeping, and I tried an all natural gummy that you could chew before bedtime that contained melatonin.  I was happy that it seemed to help me, but when I looked it up, it said it might interfere with my thyroid medicine so I'm not taking it right now.  I will ask my doctor his thoughts during my next visit.

Well, my dog that had dental work done and has to have further surgery due to the vet's mistake is now scheduled.  We had to wait a bit because he scratched his eye very badly, and we have been waiting for it to heal.  The vet said it looked good today, so his surgery is this Thursday.

When we were at the follow up appointment, we decided to check the camera we have in our family room because our other dog always seems very stressed when we leave the house with Harvey.  The poor thing was sitting on the back of the couch, looking out the window and howling the whole time.  I felt awful.  I'm wondering how Mason is going to handle it on Thursday, when Harvey is going to be gone the entire day.  We have to drop him off at 7:30 and pick him up at 4:30.  

We are short staffed at work, or I'd take a vacation day or something.

Margaret, I am so fascinated with your pictures.  Your trip sounds just incredible.  I too love the group picture of the lions, and the expression on the little one's face.  

I love photos, but I am not an expert in any way, shape or form.  I also like the ease of having something smaller with me.  One of the things I think about is whether or not I will need to rethink using my little old Canon when we venture out to Alaska at some point, or if we are able to go to a place such as Africa some day.  I'm even wondering if it will be sufficient with our August cruise, in the event I see whales.

I was talking to my old travel agent during the week.  He was with AAA for years, and then went somewhere else a few years ago.  I have been thinking of going back to using him, as he just seems to understand what I am looking for and what I like.  So we got to chatting about options.  I enjoyed my cruise on Allure, but the Oasis class is not my favorite.  It feels closed in for me.  I asked him what the thought about Anthem, since it sails from Bayonne.  He said the Quantum class is as closed in as the Oasis class, if not more.  RCI is working on a brand new class of ships, and I am curious what direction they will go in.  Freedom class and Voyager class are a great mix of things, so I love those.  Radiance class though is the absolute best if you really want to enjoy being on the ocean.  So I may be using that as a starting point for my next cruise...my three favorite classes.

He also said that if I wanted to consider a resort, Secrets is his favorite.  He said the food is above and beyond what is served at most resorts.  I got to thinking that you pay heavily for all inclusive, but is there enough to do?   I mean, most of these are in areas where you can take tours outside of the resort and so forth, but then that is a cost in addition to what you are paying for the resort.  Have any of you done Secrets, Sandals, Beaches, or any other all inclusive resort?

Overall, I think that looking at 2020, we will do a cruise, get ourselves back to Boston (or see them play in Baltimore or something like that) and then I would like another trip of sorts since Boston is usually like a long weekend.

Margaret - I'm loving the pictures too - especially that lion cub ❤️ Giraffes have always been my favorite too.  It sounds like you were also able to be in the moment and not totally behind the camera 🙂 Thank you for sharing with us.

I appreciate the discussion on AI's too.  We are considering branching out that direction for a shorter vacation and don't really know where to start looking.

We found shoes for daughter's dress over the weekend.  I know we girls are supposed to love shoes, but when you have a hard to fit foot and not many good shoe stores around it is very frustrating.  I like the dress a lot more on her at home in natural light with the shoes though.  We still need some slight alterations, but she looked really happy in it.

• Like 1

Melody, it looks like you had a good time!  I think that you have the spirit of things - embracing the weather is the best way to deal with it. 

I am very tempted to play with cruise outfits today.  It's February and my cruise is in August...I've started earlier than this before!  But I am going to hold off.  As I mentioned once before, it's mostly about narrowing down choices.  I have some very good options to choose from in both day time outfits and evening outfits. 

More than anything, I'm just bored.  🙂  My original plans were for my daughter and I to go to the florist today and then I was meeting my sister for lunch.  Things came up so I canceled both of those.  But I will be going to the gym tonight when my husband gets home from work so there's that!   I vowed to myself that with the long weekend, I was going to bring work home with me.  I've stuck to household things.  I cleaned some cupboards, did laundry, ironing.  Of course, I'm playing with the dogs too.  Those boys are great.

The idea of an all inclusive sounds really good at the moment.  A bit too much going on at work, and my husband has been working extra hours because we are saving for a few things.  We will get there.

I'm just thankful for all that I have.  I'm very lucky to be able to go on vacation.

I'm going on a spring break cruise!!!!

happydance.png.8aca49f0a46abee3483055e3c50cd4ad.png

We got a steal on an RCI 7-day leaving from Tampa, doing the western Caribbean. It will be our first RCI. My sister and family are coming up on disembarkation day to spend the weekend with us in Tampa. Rhapsody of the Seas. We've been to all the ports but Costa Maya. Two words... NACHI COCOM! ⛱️🌞🥂🌮

My DH is so sweet... he knew I was struggling with losing my dad, and frustrated by my injuries, and generally feeling blue. We've been meeting with a lawyer doing some estate planning, talking about what retirement might look like, and how we wish we could travel more and be more spontaneous.

Ta Da!  We're being spontaneous!!

This sure beats the other two spring break options, which were 1. do projects around the house and apartment, or 2. go to Michigan to sell my dad's car.

• Like 2