All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Anita, enjoying your trip report. You really planned it out well.  Reminded me that we still have Oyster cards from our trip to London 5 years ago. Glad they don’t expire.  

Hope you accomplished all all you had planned and DS is that much closer to beginning his college years.

Good to hear that you found the perfect apartment and so close to WDW. So much to see and do there even without paying park admission. Sometime wander over to Animal Kingdom Lodge and check out the Savannah and the animals. They offer a free culinary tour with food samples, great restaurants and just a really nice place to spend time. 

Sharon

5 hours ago, purduemom1 said:

Melody, that is quite the traffic jam. Wonder how long it took to clear that up!

Sharon

From the time they reopened the highway until traffic was running normally was 6 hours. So glad we weren’t needing to go north this week!

Melody, what a mess! It reminds me of my childhood in Michigan, which I do not miss at all as far as the snow goes.

Anita... Le Pain Quotidian... we ate at the one near our hotel (that Pam recommended) near Victoria Station when we were last in London. :) I really like the food there. I forgot about the one in midtown!

Day 8 - Southern Serengeti

This day was all about the Serengeti Plains and the Great Migration. Our first order of business was a stop at the ranger station to pick up our day pass. We were still within the Ngorongoro preserve area. Mark was enthralled with the tiny airport: the front of the building had a sign over the door that said departures, and when you walked through the hall to the (dirt) runway side there was another sign over the door that said arrivals. We never saw any planes here, but we did take advantage of the very clean rest rooms.

IMG_6610b.jpg.cca389752d0892f2c13a5d10f2e6a585.jpg

IMG_6609b.jpg.9387caba212297b0d1759c9d2fc40e65.jpg

IMG_1234b.jpg.f3e655a388ab1a879cef35198134b6c7.jpg

From there we continued to wind our way away from the lake and into the Great Plains. Before long we were in the midst of the migration with animals in the grasslands all around us. Some were stopping to graze, some were in great long lines all heading in the same direction, and some were bunched together in herds, but for 360° the fields were dotted with animals as far as we could see, which was very far!

IMG_1245b.jpg.5270d079446fe9e529e3c43bf4ac1bb9.jpg

Eventually we heard on the radio that there was a gazelle birth happening. By the time we found it, the gazelle had already given birth and the cute little baby was sitting on the ground. Mama was nervous because the baby couldn't stand up. Amos said that they were usually up and nursing within five minutes because birthing was a dangerous time for both of them.

IMG_1258b.jpg.b0f7b064d79b65ccabd99d8358251ba4.jpg

Mama gazelle waited around for about 10 minutes and then slowly started drifting away back to her companions. Baby tried several times to stand and eventually gave up and just sat there. We knew its fate would not be a happy one so we decided to leave. I know that some people come expecting to see a kill, but I had very mixed feelings about seeing such a thing in this particular case where the baby was so helpless.

A little while after, we came upon this mama hyena with her three cubs. I wouldn't normally think of hyenas has cute, but the fluffy babies were quite adorable in their spotted coats. Hyenas are matriarchal, and female hyenas are larger than the males, so this one was very big. I had always pictured them as German Shepherd-sized, like the coyotes we have in NJ, but they are much bigger.

IMG_1303b.jpg.4676a22a3c3291ed5e99256b7209a044.jpg

IMG_1304b.jpg.6e14c364bf9fc552b4bcdeb3c91a01c8.jpg

Southern Serengeti, continued:

It wasn't always clear that Amos had a plan, but after driving for a bit we could tell he had a destination in mind. He must have heard on the radio that some other guides were following a cheetah. It didn't take us long to find her. We watched her from a distance for quite a while, falling back or moving up closer when we had the opportunity.

IMG_1278b.jpg.897fd5e52ebe2fbb8750d12c3cda01c7.jpg

She would stop and sniff the air, open her mouth and huff, and sniff some more. As we got closer we could tell she was quite pregnant.

IMG_6429b.jpg.bc8f49153fee94f043c997bffc3bb961.jpg

The big excitement came when she took off like a rocket -- we saw a puff of dirt as she gathered her haunches, off she went like a rocket, there was a storm of dust, and up she came with a large hare in her mouth. She walked with it to an area where she was better hidden and calmly ate the whole thing. Amos said they eat everything but the skull and the skin. It took her about 20 minutes and then she slowly wandered off again, always scanning, sniffing, scanning, sniffing. It was quite thrilling.

IMG_6448b.jpg.fcb09aa8600bd825e8cf0b5ee9854590.jpg

Hmmm... which road?

IMG_6406b.jpg.234e8ed4860f0c10c8a6d3d3ac1cd8c4.jpg

IMG_6419b.jpg.7fb85ba8dbd7df7d21801a786c9a00f1.jpg

By late morning it was getting hot, and it was clear that the predators were bedded down for the heat of the day – though the zebras and wildebeests were still migrating along -- so we headed back to camp for lunch and a nap. On our way back to camp we saw another beautiful crowned eagle:

IMG_1238b.jpg.c160d744dd684dbb2f9f8e291317eb98.jpg

And another secretary bird:

IMG_1228b.jpg.6c568d97eee4e6503a94b12e7ff33a79.jpg

We both were happy to have an afternoon break because our tummies weren’t very happy. Not quite nauseous, but not happy. We had been sipping diet coke in the vehicle, which helped a bit. We had more cola at lunch and then some quiet time in our room and that did the trick. We woke from our brief nap to the sound of animals outside the tent… it turned out that there were several zebras munching the grass in the clearing where we had our cocktails the previous evening. They were making that motorboat sound just like horses do and crunching the grass, and didn't mind us at all.

IMG_1322b.jpg.04204f40f9f93ec1c68422fcd419c685.jpg

• Like 1

Melody , Hope that storm has passed and you are okay .

We are enjoying perfect spring weather . Warm but no humidity with an occasional cool day thrown in. We have a short cruise in November and then our transatlantic in May . We are planning on adding on time at the end of the transatlantic Amsterdam and then maybe London.

Anita , I love my ebag . It has become my favorite travel bag .

• Like 1

Southern Serengeti, continued:

At 4pm we were off for a short evening drive. We had to finish by 6pm, the last time to check out at the ranger station without getting fined.  Our afternoon game drive was around the lake in search of the huge flocks of flamingos and other water birds.

IMG_1411b.jpg.613462e0479df7968359d31c7bef6bc1.jpg

IMG_1339b.jpg.9fe9ae31ab03dbb6491af5ad1cc86722.jpg

IMG_6488b.jpg.88518a25e877aa5c879507e20051b872.jpg

IMG_1352b.jpg.3336acc33f01f1c7c26281606b3eae4e.jpg

At times we were driving on the dry parts of the lakebed, other times we were in the bush just near the shore. We got to see some of the more shy animals who are attracted to the water, like this hartbeest and an eland. They look like a cow but actually they are largest of the antelope family.

IMG_1366b.jpg.accd12f1cd45085ba0825f29057e932e.jpg

IMG_1409b.thumb.jpg.53818e919d62e05679bff2eceab7d549.jpg

We had some very special up-close time with this giraffe family. I have to say, I always dismissed giraffes as just funny looking cows. But seeing them up close, their pretty eyes and soft, velvety faces, I came to love them. I wanted so much to be able to pet one! And the babies are so adorable.

IMG_6464b.jpg.07929f4459d2d074bf78014ff4126793.jpgIMG_1336b.jpg.cf3dec1f20fde043f7a2c3ae9b55e232.jpgIMG_6469b.jpg.a823d065c759341fd82c87afea1830f3.jpgIMG_6468b.jpg.016aef05176798dc3bde8744417b2d36.jpg

I can't get the baby picture to load the right way. Anyone have any tips?

We also finally got to see a jackal up close, and on our way back to camp for dinner I finally got a picture of a dik dik. Previously they would just run and hide as soon as we saw them. Then, just as we turned into the road leading to camp we saw a very large elephant. We hadn't seen one in a couple of days and it was quite a surprise! Later, as we were getting ready for dinner, our family of zebras was back. I made a note in my journal that I had rosemary chicken for dinner and it was very tasty. I'm not a person who takes pictures of food, so I apologize for the lack. There was nothing unusual or remarkable about it, IMO.

IMG_1240b.jpg.09c970a44c0b2f90ff88c15cdb64ece1.jpg

IMG_1323b.jpg.c12cc40835c66aa82bbe95b6b52659ef.jpg

The highlights of the day were when Amos would hear news on his radio, and we would leave the road to go hightailing it through the tall grass across the plains. It was such a treat, one that we hadn’t expected, to go flying across the Serengeti without another person in sight.  Not just off the beaten path… no path in sight.

Edited by MJC
  • Like 1

Margaret, just loving the animal pictures, what an adventure

we booked a week in FL (10-17 April) in Ft Myers. Les will have his 70th bday with his brother & we’ll both get out & be able to sit on a beach. His brother (81) & wife (80) have been in & out of the hospital in MA since Thanksgiving (they were supposed to leave for FL the day after Christmas & they’re finally getting there on Monday). Our nieces asked if we could spend a week in FL so they can get some rest too (& they don’t want to leave their parents alone). We’ll have a great time & where it’s Les’s bday they won’t figure out that we’re caretakers. Melody

20 hours ago, MJC said:

Melody, I'm so happy for you that you'll have some time in the warmth and sunshine. So sweet of you to give caretakers a much-needed break at the same time.

Worked out well for everyone. It fit in with our doctor appts too 😉

Wow, everyone is having so much fun - either just back from fun or planning out fun!  I'm not complaining though.  I have a wonderful wedding coming up with a trip to Boston for the weekend just a week later.

Prior to all this though, I'm going out of town to a concert.  This is a bit different for me, due to my hearing loss.  HOwever, it is a bucket list item, and I feel that if I fool with my hearing aids enough, I will be able to follow.  Besides, I'm going with my sister, husband and one of of my daughters - you can't beat the company!  

Right now though, I have nothing figured out after August so I'm thinking about that a lot.  I think I want to wait until after the wedding to figure out what I want to do in the fall. 

Meanwhile, I"m drooling over the tasty foods you encountered, Anita.  And Margaret, your pictures continue to excite me.

College is pretty big business, Anita.  It must be very challenging figuring out all the details of overseas schooling.  When my daughter went for the summer, it was a lot more doable because she was staying in different dorms.  She just had to have her laptop and clothes and a handful of other things.  There were no cooking options or anything.  I remember one of her classes, and they provided bicycles for the time she stayed in that area.  That is how you got to and from classes.  Long story short, it was very different.

Our weather here has been all over the place.  A few days ago, it was 60.  The following day, the temp dropped about 30 degrees.  We woke up to snow today.  General speaking, it hasn't been as snowy as some years, but we have had a lot more heavy wind and freezing rain than we normally do.  I'm looking forward to spring!

Sounds like a great plan for all involved Melody! 

Sharon, great reminder about AKL. We stayed there once. DS was in Kindergarten. At that time, DH's work in consulting...and his status on the totem pole...didn't lend itself to long term vacation planning. We actually planned a somewhat last minute trip to WDW for the first time during DS' Spring Break with less than a month notice. We had a pool view room. LOVED AKL. Back then, DVC area had not been built. I think we have been back there since though...we did the deluxe dining plan, back when the dining plan was so much better than the trimmed down version it became...and we ate at one of the restaurants in AKL. So good.

Laurie...we had great food in London. One reason I focused in on our dining pictures was because Mom and Dad didn't find great food when they were last in London many, many years ago. I wanted to show them yummy London food!

Margaret...IDK that I would go out of my way to eat at Le Pain Quotidian...but I would select it if it were an option in my plans or area over many others. Really good food. And I like the atmosphere.

So one thing that I did not mention regarding dining out in London...two things that happened in the restaurants we ate at in London. First, all credit card payments happen at your table. The server brings you the bill. Then, when you have your card at the ready, your server comes over with a hand held and runs your card payment while standing right there. Your credit card never leaves your sight. Second, tipping is not a common practice. Most restaurants will indicate an automatically added Service Charge of X%. This usually was around 10%, the highest one was 12. We appreciated not having to worry about the whole tipping situation.

I ended my last London report with our family is various stages of napping. With the telly on.

We discovered (or rediscovered for DH) the game of Snooker. There was a major international tournament going on that was being televised on the British version of ESPN. Snooker is a Billards game. I think there are 6 different colored balls that have specific spots on the table. A formation of sorts with each ball in it spot. Then there is a rack of all red balls that are racked and placed in the normal spot for 8 ball. You have to sink a red ball first and then you sink one of the colored balls. When a colored ball is sunk...it is immediately taken back out and put back into it's spot. Play continues with this red ball, colored ball, red ball, colored ball back and forth until all the red balls are sunk. Then there is an order to sink the colored balls. The points vary for each color. Highest point total wins. There can be a point at which one player has so many points that the other couldn't possibly catch up...so matches can end at various times, not just when the table is cleared.

Also...British game shows are pretty entertaining. And there was HGTV like show that was all about these people that had purchased these huge Chateaus and were fixing them up into hotel, bed and breakfast type places. There are about 6 different works in progress with 6 different families/couples. We also found the equivalent of the Comedy Channel...OMG. It can be SO difficult to follow thick varying British accents when they are talking so fast and laughing at the same time.

ALSO...the Voice UK is BORING. My guys were like...noooooooo...but I made them watch it when we found it channel surfing, but even I could only take it for about 2 songs worth.

So we woke up...and decided to get out.

We hit up a local electronics store chain. We're in the midst of deciding what to do about DS' computer and monitor. We built both of the desktops we have. Computer power supplies are generally capable of working from 110V or 220V power. It's basically a switch on the power supply and the use of a different power cord from the supply to the wall. What we learned is that monitors are basically the same. You can use your normal monitor but just get a different power cord. We have to decide if DS will take his huge monitor over there...or if we'll get him one over there. We wanted to see the prices of what was readily available.

The grocery store was next door. And another one was across the street. As expected, the grocery stores are just much smaller than our mega stores. They have great variety though. And food is very reasonably priced. We were in the store at what I would call a commuting time. And the stores were teaming with people stopping in to purchase a bag or two of groceries. With each subsequent visit to the grocery store...we noticed this. You don't "stock up". Or perhaps you do for some things, but by and large everyone was purchasing just a bag or two of groceries. They don't have the big shopping carts...only hand carry baskets.

And you can get a plastic bag. But you have to ask for it. There are TONS of self check places and not a one has plastic bags at them. You have to ask. And if you visit one of the few checkers, they will ask if you need a bag. The norm was for people to have their own bags. And if you do get a plastic bag...they are super sturdy plastic bags...made to be used more than once. Like, since you got this bag, please reuse this bag.

So we looked at all the groceries and then we went in search of a pub!!

We didn't end up in a pub though. We ended up a bar that was advertising fish and chips. If you are going to London...you HAVE to eat fish and chips...especially if you really like fish and chips.

The legal drinking age in the UK is 18. So we got to be with DS when he ordered his first legal drink. Other parents may not be as thrilled about that as we are. I believe in moderate drinking. Occasional party drinking...I admit...I've been there. But most of all, normalizing alcohol consumption. It doesn't need to be "a thing". Anyway...we ordered a local brew, Camden Town Brewery's Hells Lager...and 3 fish and chips.

I was too hungry to bother with photos of the fish and chips. I will say it was the LARGEST piece of fish in a fish and chips that I have ever seen. One huge piece of Haddock. IDK what the deal is with the little cup of mushy green peas as a side? Is this the token green thing on the plate? House made tartar sauce. Malt vinegar on the table. Oh...and mayo and ketchup on the table for the chips. I noted the ingredients in the mayo with my mom in mind. The oil base was rapeseed oil. There was nothing that resembled a laboratory chemical in either the mayo or the ketchup. Cleanest list of ingredients. And the fish was OUTSTANDING. Not too much crust. Moist fish. 

And the lager? Very flavorful but light. A very respectably not too high ALC at 4.6%. We noticed that the beers in general were all around 4% give or take. Even the ales and darker brews. Unlike in the USA, where the more craft brews tend to creep up into the 6-8% range...most brews were in the 3s and 4s. It was nice!

Because we were in a bar and not a pub, we had a server at our table. And I think we were able to have more than one round on the check. We did not have to pay as we went.

We were getting droopy...after our little bit of window shopping and wander to find our dinner spot...and enjoying a couple rounds...we decided to go back to the apartment and think about bed.

I think we had a bit more zone out time with the telly while we all took turns in the single bathroom. Made up the sofa bed for DS and then we went to bed...feeling pretty good about what we had accomplished on our travel day(s).

Anita, sounds like a productive day! Here we are used to bringing our own bags with us as stores charge if you ask for one of theirs. Not so for clothing stores, however.

When we were in London we noticed that small grocery stores were quite prevalent and yes, hand baskets were the norm. We figured that purchasing smaller quantities of groceries more frequently was because people relied on public transport and perhaps there were those who didn’t even own a car like many in NYC.  

I am am not a fish eater but did enjoy the fish and chips in London. Must have been fun enjoying a first drink with your son. 

Sharon

We were sleeping...or at least trying to sleep. The bar across the street has a street side patio...and revelers that were reveling into the wee hours. Also...the irregular traffic of vehicles right outside my window isn't a city sound that I am used to hearing. My bedroom windows are over the train tracks...not a street.

SO...I'm a planner but I'm also an explorer. I enjoy the new...and just being able to have a day unfold organically. If I'm feeling confident in general knowledge of an area, I can let go of the reins and not need to have a schedule and agenda. So it was with this London trip that there was virtually no planning involved. DS very much likes to go with the flow...unplanned, unscheduled.

I also didn't want to turn DS's Spring Break and DH's vacation time into a hectic touring time trying to be on schedule and go to particular places.

Point being...we didn't have anywhere we had to be on Thursday. We had been struggling to get a campus tour scheduled. DS had been in email conversation with the Director of the Composition department but nothing had been nailed down. She wanted to try to combine the tour with when DS was meeting with one of the professors...so she made it more complicated than it needed to be. Our Thursday plan was to just stop by the school after breakfast and see what could happen or be scheduled.

I set one of those emergency late morning alarms...that we shouldn't sleep past a certain time and waste away our day. Taking turns in the morning in the bathroom and then we were off to break fast in the late morning.

First thing...we hit up a local coffee shop chain called Black Sheep.

Here's the deal with coffee in London. It doesn't really exist. Not that we could locate anyway...not traditional, normal drip or brewed coffee. Everything is espresso based. The closest thing we could order is an Americano, the espresso and water (in lieu of milk) drink. Everywhere had non dairy milks. Soya was often complimentary. Almond and Coconut milk were up charges. Many places didn't offer different sizes for the drinks. You ordered a cappuccino and you would get the size of drink that they offered for cappuccinos. Most serving sizes are probably very reasonable, but by American standards...especially if you are accustomed to venti sized drinks...the standard sizes are on the small size for adding up to DH's typical daily caffeine intake.

I discovered a drink called Flat White. I have since seen that it is offered at Starbucks...but lattes still seem to be more popular here. Flat White seemed WAY more popular over there...so I had to try it. If a latte could be described as coffee flavored milk, a flat white is creamy espresso. It has the same proportion of milk and espresso as a cappuccino, but instead of a super foamy milk like a cappuccino, flat white has very little foam. The cappuccino is like a layered drink, foam on top of espresso, and the flat white fully incorporates the milk and espresso together to create a very creamy, stronger coffee flavored drink in comparison to a latte.

DH loved the slogan of the Black Sheep...the back of their shirts all said "Leave the herd behind".

Because of the reasonable sizes...the drink prices are also very reasonable. Every drink was around 3 pounds. DH had an Americano. DS had a mocha with almond milk. I wasn't ready to try the flat white yet...I had an almond milk latte.

The Black Sheep was near yet another and different tube station. It didn't have any indoor seating, but had a street side, sidewalk patio area, where we sat and enjoyed people watching. I didn't want to be creepy and take photos of strangers...as much as I wanted to take pictures of all the street fashion. But I will talk about it.

First...I noticed that there were so many joggers! Like people running on the streets of London for exercise...not the pants style. And they were wearing straight up athletic wear. I was layered up and dressed for the cold...but this one woman jogger was wearing shorts and a racer back tank top! I was cold looking at her! Outside of people who were actually exercising, there was quite a lot of athleisure wear. Many track suits actually. I was surprised.

I've come to associate the matching track suit with a certain hip hop kind of look...a bit sloppy...oversized pants and a long jacket. The track suits I saw were still matching...but the pants were ankle length and tappered to a slim ankle. They were skinny track pants! The jackets were also fitted and hit just below the waist or to the high hip...not oversized AT ALL.

Many sneakers on the feet of everyone. The difference was that these were street sneakers. The classic Adidas striped look, for example. MANY white sneakers. CLEAN white sneakers. Even with black pants. Virtually NO color in the shoes though...unless they were Converse.

Black leggings were everywhere...but NO ONE was wearing knee high boots. DS says that the whole leggings and skinny jeans with knee high boots and a hip hitting top is a Southern look. Black leggings with street sneakers...ballet flats. But the most common shoe was a kind of ankle boot.

Tops were impossible to see because EVERYONE was wearing a coat. Lots of puffy coats. From waist length to hip length to knee length. And just about EVERYONE, women and men, were wearing scarves.

By and large, people were wearing black. You probably see it everyday in NYC, Margaret. There were a colorful coats...but these were the exceptions. People expressed their color with their scarves, which they wore with their coats like their coats were tops. Most of the scarves were displayed more than tucked away. And the scarf was functional! You needed that protection around your neck!

Bags...so many backpacks! Leather backpacks. But also something that is more functional for office or school. Leather totes. It felt like people had bags that had some storage capability because their bag was functioning like our vehicles do. We may have things we might need in our cars...but if you don't use a car...if walking is your main mode of transportation...then your bag will be very important to help you get through your day.

People were everywhere. It was so much fun to sit there and watch them.

That first shot of caffeine down...we went in search of food.

The fun thing about the way that restaurants and cafes are in London...ground level with who knows if they are apartments or offices above...you can't tell what is a chain and what are independent places. The vibe of everything has a real boutique kind of feel.

IMG-2455.jpg

IMG-2460.jpg

You just walk along...the menus are generally posted in the windows. We ended up at a chain called Peyton and Byrne.

IMG-2459.jpg%20

Inside...you walk up to the counter where most of the menu items were displayed. Many were eating lunch but we were wanting breakfast. There were still breakfast sandwiches available. You could see what you were getting...pick out your sandwich and then they would take your sandwich into the back kitchen to toast it and bring it out. Many items were ready to go from the counter though.

IMG-2458.jpg

You could Eat In or Take Away. Many people were getting salads to Take Away. There would be a big bowl of the salad...then they would have a chip board box sized for the salad serving, which they would fill in front of you and off you would go.

All the tables were taken when we ordered, so we asked for Take Away without knowing where we would eat...but by the time our sandwiches came out toasted, there were open tables. So we were able to sit and eat.

Then we headed to the school. We weren't able to tour. Long story...and it's fine. DS was fine. We were accomplishing what we needed to do and he had a meeting with a professor the next day. DS was wanting to gain a vision for what going to RAM would be like...and he didn't need to see the inside of the school to get that vision. I think DH and I were more disappointed! However, I am not sorry to encounter the excellent security of the school, nor to understand that the school is a busy place.

Here I am with the school in the background. The school is the red building with the red flag in front:

IMG-2461.jpg

I'm wearing my red Columbia boots, gray cargo technical pants ( I wore them in Alaska too!)...you can't see my top and I'm not sure which one I wore...My scarf...my raincoat and my travel handbag. This is a major road...they would break up the crossing of it, so you often end up in the middle waiting for the light to change again.

After dropping in at the school, DS wanted to go check his email again...see if there was more conversation regarding the possibly of a tour at a different time. So we headed back to the apartment.

Hey Melody! The estimator came by today to look at all our stuff, note what needs to be crated, look at access to the building, etc., and then make his report to our moving coordinator for how long the packers might take and how much stuff we might have. So my question is...because I think you have been packed up by packers many times...any tips? I've never used packers before...I'm a bit nervous but deciding to enjoy the benefit of the relo package. I'm going to spend this prep time getting rid of some things...and getting ready. What do I need to know to get ready for packers so that it goes well?

• Like 1

Anita, I can't see the pictures.

The black, the backpacks & totes, the small grocery stores, the return of very white sneakers... big city life. 🙂 I own three pairs of ankle boots!

• Like 1

Since coffee isn't a big thing there, is tea?  We used to have a Teavana store here that was so popular, but then Starbucks bought them out.  I e always. Called Starbucks Charbucks instead. 😁

My daughters love her al and fruit teas.  I enjoy them, but coffee is my first choice.

It is always interesting to learn about other places.

Laurie, when I wrote joggers, I literally meant people jogging. I didn’t see a single person wearing joggers that weren’t totally streetwear...that is, made from bottom material, nothing resembling what we all used to call sweats. Tracksuits were a completely different story. Wearing the whole tracksuit, matching top and bottom. This was the vibe:

https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/430938258074637318/

but I didn’t see anything that looked so much like old school sweats. I’m talking the classic track suit with the stripes down the sides. Full zip top, like what you could buy here:

https://www.seekattire.co.uk/menswear-c1/tracksuits-c20

Tea is more prevalent but if people were on the go, they didn’t grab tea. I heard Flat White more than anything.

16 minutes ago, Anita Latte said:

I didn’t see a single person wearing joggers that weren’t totally streetwear...that is, made from bottom material, nothing resembling what we all used to call sweats.

This is what's fashionable on campus now. New York style:

https://www.outfittrends.com/mens-outfits-with-jogger-pants/

Don't see the track suit look yet, maybe when spring gets here. Definitely white sneaks a la 1980's with light denim.