All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

I also saw quite a lot of denim. Straight legs. Skinny legs. Slightly loose legs on the men...but back to make your rear end look really good jeans. Nothing too baggy.

Really the fashion was all over the place...partly because the people were from everywhere. Everywhere we were, we were listening to multiple languages spoken all around us. The thing that seemed more universal than anything...people were trim. I mean, I've been living what I think are known as the heavier cities in the US...and by and large...the people I see and encounter are not trim...I'm usually somewhere in the middle of the pack as go about my day. In London, I was almost ALWAYS the heaviest person in my line of sight. 

Margaret...I picked up several things from the Natural Reflections brand. DH and I both agreed that it was a good brand for me. Excellent colors...so many warm and muted choices. Classic staple styles. I think the quality is solid. I can't vouch for the exact items you purchased. I bought two long sleeved waffle henley shirts and a cardigan sweater. The henleys have been washed several times and they are holding up well. No noticeable shrinkage that negatively affects fit. Kind of thing that comes out of the dryer slightly smaller and then loosens up again a bit. In many shirts, I walk the line between XL and L. L made a fitted shirt that was stretched a bit across my chest but fit much better in the shoulder area...the XL was actually a bit uncomfortable because of the shoulder fit...and wasn't as flattering because the arm holes weren't in the right spot...a lot of added weight with the poor fit. The brand is definitely worth a try.

17 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

Hey Melody! The estimator came by today to look at all our stuff, note what needs to be crated, look at access to the building, etc., and then make his report to our moving coordinator for how long the packers might take and how much stuff we might have. So my question is...because I think you have been packed up by packers many times...any tips? I've never used packers before...I'm a bit nervous but deciding to enjoy the benefit of the relo package. I'm going to spend this prep time getting rid of some things...and getting ready. What do I need to know to get ready for packers so that it goes well?

Good packers are wonderful. I always gathered items that I knew we’d need first, bed linens, pillows, towels, coffee pot. These either went with me if we were driving to new duty station or were placed in box #1. If you have 3 packers, have 3 people to watch what goes in what box. Make sure boxes are numbered as well as labeled. Have a checklist with the numbers & Mark it off when it goes onto the truck & when it comes off the truck at new location. I’m rather paranoid, I took pictures of the truck, drivers ID & each box as it was loaded onto the truck. Especially important if you have antiques, take a picture before the item is crated.   I also tended to put things in rooms that they were going into (made it easier at new end). Master bedroom, master bath, secondary bedroom(s), guest bath, kitchen, living room, family room, garage, office, etc. 

22 years of moving we never had anything lost, only damage we had was when our things were in storage. It’s work, but much easier on the back. Melody

Edited by awhfy

15 hours ago, MJC said:

Cabelas has just been bought out, quality is same as Columbia, prices a bit more than Sierra Trading Post

I can see the photos now on my other devices...I think there was just a temporary server issue or something...

Anyway...moving on.

Let's talk about cell phone coverage in London...

When I researched the usage of our phones, we have iPhone 5s, in London...AT&T made it sound like we would be in London and then we could activate a $10 24-hour time frame that would give us access to our normal plan minutes, texts, and data. Nope. We were all set to activate one phone so that we could bring up maps, etc., BUT...no service. IDK why AT&T thought we would just be good to go.

I think now that we would have to have a different SIM card... IDK for sure...

In the end...not a big deal. There is free wifi just about everywhere. The only issue with so much of the "free" wifi is that they want you to sign in. This is why I appreciated the Gatwick Express wifi which required consent only to the T&C and then off you go into cyber land. For signing in, there would be a Facebook icon, a Twitter icon, and a form. I don't Facebook or Twitter...and I went through the hassle of the form once.

The form is a PITA because they want to send you a code. You can't receive a code if you don't have any mobile coverage! I finally broke down and followed the prompts...finally seeing the "I don't have mobile coverage" link and they gave me a free 48 hour pass so that my newly created log in would work wherever there was an 02 log in. 02 (like oxygen) appears to be an internet provider in London.

For future London trips, I'm thinking about creating a throw away Twitter log in. Twitter doesn't care if you create a fictional user name...while Facebook does. I think I could more easily create a Twitter account for the sole purpose of being able to more easily log into "free" wifi in London.

Point being...we dealt okay without 24 hour access to our phones...but that was helped with the fact that we had the free wifi at our AirBnB. DS doesn't do email on his phone...at least, he doesn't do his school account...but either way...we needed to get back to the apt for him to check it.

We had a bit of a break at the apt and then we headed out to check out another housing option.

This one was far enough away from the AirBnB that we could ride the bus. We hoped to at least ride the buses once while there...getting the firsts out of the way so that everything would not be so new for DS.

The Oyster Card works on the bus. Wave it in front of the screen. I think figuring out the bus system would have been a lot easier with an app...which I'm sure exists. The signage at the bus stops was ok. Not as detailed as I might hope. It listed major stops so you could tell where the different routes were going...but without a map of the area...seeing the name of the stops flash on the sign on the bus wasn't super helpful.

Regardless...the buses in the area were all the double decker buses. Each double seat has a pole and a stop button on it so that you could signal the bus that you wanted the next stop. The ticker sign at the front of the bus would announce each stop and also indicate if the bus was going to stop so you would know if someone had already requested the stop.

In the places where I have been living...there seems to be a bit of a stigma associated with riding the bus. Without trying to be too political about it...it has a negative image, even to the point of hearing cautions if you want to ride the bus because of the clientele that normally rides the bus. Like, stay alert and be careful. There is none of that in London...everyone rides the bus. Super handy. The tube takes you a distance...but the bus takes you more locally.

We did find though...that we could 0.4 miles to get to and from bus stops to get to a destination...OR we could just walk 0.8 miles. So this was our one and only bus ride.

After touring the dorm...we went in search of more coffee. We hit up Costa where I finally ordered my first and fell in like with the Flat White. While at coffee...we figured out where we wanted to eat lunch...which was pretty much an early dinner time... We wanted a real pub...DH picked out The Grazing Goat. This felt like a classic pub to our touristy eyes.

http://thegrazinggoat.co.uk/?utm_source=tripadvisor&utm_medium=referral

And then we discovered that we were in London for British Pie Week! We ordered the daily special...a venison and beef pie.

I've often wondered about the British savory pie. I pictured a regular pie plate with a savory pie filling...slice and serve type thing. The pies in the pub were individual pies. Like little mini two crust pies. I didn't photograph these pies...picture a spread of mashed potatoes with some artful gravy and a single, free standing double crust pie to the side on the mash. Cut open the pie and the juices run into the mash... SOOOOOoooooooo good.

We had a round of pints with our pie...of course.

Let's talk about the loo... I bring this up because of the difficulty of access. Straight up...in London, nearly EVERY loo, for every eatery, was located in the basement. You had to walk down a narrow flight of steps...often with a Mind Your Head sign above a low point. MY experience of London would have been very challenging for those that are challenged by stairs.

We weren't so very far from the Marble Arch and Hyde Park...so we headed down there.

It was raining on us...and starting to get dark...so we didn't take photos...and we didn't walk around Hyde Park too much. Where we entered, it was a giant lawn area which, we were told by the assistant manager of the dorm, is where many concerts take place. There wasn't a sight to see that we could see beyond the lawn. We were impressed with the CrossFit class which was continuing, even in the rain.

We debated taking a bus back up to the dorm...but weren't sure which one to take...and decided it would be just as easy to walk...so we walked back up to the dorm. This was the housing option furthest from the school...we wanted to walk from the dorm to the school and time it.

One of DH's favorite brews is from the Fuller's brewery in London. In London, pubs can be tied or free. Some pubs are tied to a local brewery...so DH scoped out a Fuller's tied brewery. And then we ended up at Jack Horner. This photo was taken on a different day...during the day...but Jack Horner is the green store front on the ground level behind us.IMG-2588.jpg

It was so much fun to be at the Fuller's tied pub. We saw so many brews that we've never seen in the USA before!

Even though we sat at the bar...there was no running a tab. Pay as you go here.

It wasn't so very late...but we were feeling tired. We had done a lot of walking again today...much more than we normally do...and we were still recovering from the overnight flight.

We headed back to the apartment and watched more snooker. Then turned in at a decent time.

We did have fun...and we did accomplish the trip goals. And I think it all happened at a pace that still spoke to the fact that DS was on Spring Break and DH was taking vacation time. 

Melody...thanks for the tips with the packers. It's likely that I will be the lone person dealing with the packers...maybe DS will be around for some...but DH will definitely be in Orlando working. With the smaller apt though...and everything on one level, I think I can prioritize my watchful eye. Very good idea for Box #1. And for getting things in the rooms with the destination in mind. Fortunately...we have the same room count in the new place...the sizes are different though...I'm going to have to spend some time planning what will fit where.

My birthday is Monday...DH asked me what I wanted to do. I thought to do something that we didn't make time for here...like going to the Biltmore...but wow, pricy day...thinking that it isn't worth the cost for one day. I'd love to go to the coast but I'm not interested at all in the driving so long to get there...hmmmm.

DS had arranged to have a consultation lesson with one of the composition instructors. Friday at 1:30 PM. All things on Friday were revolving around this appointment.

I had thought that my red Columbia boots were well worn in...and they are. I had them laced up for more toe box room but this allowed my foot to move too much in the shoe...I hadn't worn them for the level of walking we had been doing for the past few days. My toes had been hitting the front...bad news. I was very happy that I had also packed my Converse.

We set an alarm for a later morning wake up. Plenty of time to have a leisurely morning with juggling usage of the single bathroom and having a nice sit down breakfast. DH had picked out the pub the day before...my turn to find breakfast. I selected the Riding House Cafe.

https://ridinghouse.cafe

Interesting thing about the Riding House Cafe...there was no information on the menu or around that I could see that talked about the history of the place...but the basement area had the toilets and "the stables". The stables were private dining rooms that were literally stables. Beautiful wooden door stables...lots of character and charm. 

We were seated at the community table. There was at least one seat separating each party seated at the table...but at one point, two ladies were brought over and they would have filled in the gap next to myself and DH, across the table. This was totally unacceptable to these ladies...IDK how they were accommodated...but I heard the French, non, non, non.

The website has much better pictures of the restaurant...but I wanted to share this one...simply because of the luggage that you can see by the hostess stand.

IMG-2471.jpg

There is table seating on the other side of that wall. Also...tables in the room around the community table. I had wondered what would happen with luggage if we were to have to deal with it for longer upon arrival. Perhaps these people are leaving though...heading to the airport after breakfast. Regardless...here we can see accommodation for dining with luggage. Basically, the word of warning is to be prepared for the luggage to possibly be out of your line of sight and out of reach, but making life easier for service.

The seats on the left of the picture show the station stadium like seating at the community table. There are gaps in the seating every couple of seats to allow access, but otherwise you can't move the seats at all. The seats themselves are the kind that flip up when no one is seated. They were surprisingly comfortable.

Every restaurant we encountered had an espresso machine. Remember...no coffee...but espresso, yes. This is where DH tried to order "coffee" thinking that being in a restaurant, he could get normal coffee...the server said, Americano? Which makes me think that this could be WHY the water / espresso drink is called Americano, something that has never made sense to me. IDK. I didn't hone in on the espresso machine availability...I skipped my coffee flavored drink at the restaurant. DS was more alert than I, he had a double espresso.

The food was outstanding. SO good.

Dh ordered French Toast, which was served with clotted cream...OMG...CLOTTED CREAM...and real maple syrup.

IMG-2474.jpg

DS ordered the salmon Benedict:

IMG-2475.jpg

I order the Florentine Benedict...with chard and avocado and toasted buckwheat and pepitas:

IMG-2473.jpg

The Benedicts could be ordered singly. You specified one or two. After eating the first...I realized that I could have been satisfied with the single...one of those cases of I could be satisfied or I could be completely full, but not unpleasantly so. English muffins in England are very different than the ones we normally encounter in the USA. You can see how thick it is...and SO HEARTY. Dense.

For the curious...the total for two specialty coffee drinks and the 3 entrees was just under $55 (43 pounds). FWIW...this cost is in keeping with pricing we experience for this quality level of meal at home.

Since I hadn't ordered any coffee drink...we headed across the street to a sweet looking coffee shop.

Melody...the Costa Flat White with almond milk was my fav. It was the best tasting almond milk that I have ever had. IDK what they use...it literally tasted like almond. It had that taste that I normally only encounter in almond extract. It was such a treat. And there are many Costas. 

• Like 1

Anita, enjoying your detailed posts so much! I'll wish you happy birthday now 🍾 because on Monday I'll be in Costa Maya. :)  The whole coffee thing... in other countries... for me it's a challenge because I don't usually drink caffeine. Even at home I find it difficult to get a really good decaf unless I make it myself. So, when I travel I'll have ONE regular coffee in the morning with lots of cream. Lots. I'm usually excitable enough when I travel without extra stimulants.

I'm mostly packed. DH hasn't even started. He has a bad cold so I'll probably do most of his packing for him tomorrow. Thank you everyone for the water park advice. I have my old swimsuit, rash guard, water shoes, hat, and sunscreen ready to go. Between my lily-white husband and my skin cancer scare, we decided to get a cabana for the day. It seats 4 and comes with a mini-fridge with water, a safe, and four lunches. My sister is bringing beach towels for all of us.

We fly to Tampa on Friday, arriving at our hotel near the airport just after the 3pm check-in. It has a small pool if we want to swim, and there is a popular smokehouse/bbq restaurant within walking distance. We've both had very busy weeks, so we're looking forward to just watching some Netflix and crashing early. Saturday we arranged for a car to take us to the ship, with a stop along the way for wine. Sunday is at sea, with our first formal night. Our ports are all in a row... Costa Maya, Belize, Roatan, Cozumel. Then another sea day with formal night. Then a day with my sister at Adventure Island, dinner in St. Pete. Home on Sunday, one day off, back to work.

I just have to say that the contrast between my current suitcase and my Africa duffel bag is hilarious.

• Like 1

I'm so glad you are enjoying it Margaret...sometimes, I completely feel ridiculous posting about food...but the fact is that food was a major focus of our days! We weren't in normal tourist mode...we were in live in London mode...and I felt more odd taking pictures of the places we were in because of all the people. DS has advised me that it's kind of creepy to be taking pictures that include so many other people...and then using them without these people's knowledge...which I totally get and agree with...he didn't like me taking the one picture in the restaurant but agreed that it wasn't so bad because there weren't too many faces in the photo...

Privacy issues.

I get it. There's a whole generation of people out there now whose baby pictures and childhood are on social media...the storylines of their parents. They had no say...and it's bringing up debates as to the ethics and morality of parents parading their unable to consent offspring for all the world to see on social media, where it seems to reside into perpetuity. IDK how you delete year old posts...I'm not into social media. Social internet, yes...social media, no.

I'm so excited for you and your warm weather vacation!!! London was cold. Here is cold again. I had one or two days in Orlando... It's just a matter of time, I know, before the move...but still...I'm craving warm weather! I hope you have a great break...relax...and have great weather.

22 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

Melody...the Costa Flat White with almond milk was my fav. It was the best tasting almond milk that I have ever had. IDK what they use...it literally tasted like almond. It had that taste that I normally only encounter in almond extract. It was such a treat. And there are many Costas. 

I’ll ask Shiv

Back in London...we were headed literally across the street to a coffee house, Kaffeine.

https://kaffeine.co.uk

The place was quite busy...but we were able to grab the barstools at the bar counter that looked out the window front and onto the street. From that vantage point, I was able to photograph the typical food display that we encountered in these cafe type, counter service establishments.

The focus here is on the baked goods displayed on the top...all the baked goods were 3 pounds or under. The big fruit cup was 4 pounds...you could add yogurt for 30 pence? quid? IDK...and/or granola for 30 whatever.

IMG-2485.jpg

Here I'm trying to focus more on the luncheon type offering behind the glass. The salads were 5-6 pounds for a smaller portion...7-8 for a larger. The quality here kind of blew me away...the left is roasted rhubarb, beet root, red onion, walnuts, mixed herbs and goat cheese on what looks like arugula. The far one is steak, roasted red pepper, lentils, baby spinach with a balsamic glaze. The zucchini noodle salad...the quiche. The sandwiches all wrapped in paper are meant to be cold but the far sandwiches (hard to see) with the little white strip around them are meant to be toasted...like in a panini press. This is what I mean when I say that you just pick out what you want and if it need further preparation, they do that in a back area and bring it back out.

IMG-2484.jpg

Now my local independent coffee shops will do this kind of display with the baked goods...but I haven't seen this kind of display with things like salads, etc. I wonder if we in the States would have health and safety issues with such food not being on ice or whatever. I LOVED these displays. I watched the service rock through the lines...and I think it was quite wonderful to eat with your eyes first on the food itself rather than just the menu description. Perhaps it's just a bigger city thing? They can do this because of how quickly they go through the displayed food? IDK...I liked this aspect of London dining a lot.

But we had just eaten...so we were merely getting caffeine at Kaffeine.

I ordered a flat white...

IMG-2482.jpg

DS ordered a latte...which was served in a most unusual glass to my mind:

IMG-2480.jpg

There was a newspaper left at the counter...so we perused the paper, people watched, and sipped our drinks...and then moved on toward the area where DS's meet with the professor would be.

Here I am on the corner outside Kaffeine:

IMG-2487.jpg

Are all these streets looking alike? This is what I mean...there can be businesses of whatever sort on the ground level and living space or possibly office space above. And depending on what street you are on...the businesses will vary. Get on the right street and you can encounter any number of dining choices...other streets, not so much. I think this was a major advantage to staying in an AirBnB in London. I'm not sure how far away we'd have had to wander to find the neighborhood restaurants if we were staying where the hotels are.

I knew that I would wear my jacket everyday. And now looking at the photos...I can totally understand why it would be so important to find a great coat. That perfect outer layer...because that is all that anyone sees for so much of your day! Neutrality doesn't matter so much as the ability for the coat to GO with your wardrobe. And having that scarf not only helps with temperature control...it is what can add some interest and character to your appearance with the coat. If you don't have that walking lifestyle...then it's different...you may not always feel the need to have a coat that can function through whatever weather the day may bring as you leave in the morning and know you won't return home for hours, unlike a vehicle dependent society.

Mom said a while back...the ladies in Paris all have impeccably made up faces and messy hair. I TOTALLY get that! You just have to let your hair do whatever it will do...and try to contain it in the wind tunnels that certain streets can be. Find fashion in the messy hair and combat that with a totally put together face.

I did notice many hats. The men were wearing the newsboy type cap or a beanie...and the women were wearing beanies with the fuzzy balls on top or slouch beanies.

I did not see fleece.

Our timing was good...we had had a leisurely morning. The big question was what DH and I were going to do while DS had his meeting. We weren't sure how long the consulting lesson would be...we figured it could be anywhere between 20 minutes to one hour. DH was still low on the caffeine consumption...so we figured the best course of action was to sit in a coffee place and have some more coffee.

We ended up in Aubaine, which specializes in modern French cuisine.

https://aubaine.co.uk

When I saw Valrhona Chocolate on the menu...I knew I had to order it. Chocolate in Europe is very different from USA chocolate which has an additive to it that I been told resembles the flavor of vomit to the taste buds of my British friends. In honor of my Dad:

IMG-2489.jpg

And in honor of my Mom...who loves this plant:

IMG-2488.jpg

I'll admit that it was kind of boring hanging out in this restaurant for over an hour. DH and I were rather brain dead, so conversation was far from sparkling. Believe it or not...we were getting the munchies...and as all the tables around us were dining...and we were in a restaurant...we ordered two appetizers. But we were happy that DS was getting to have so much time with the professor...and hoping that the conversation might flow and he would have opportunity to just talk about life at the school in general.

And he did.

The meeting was in an off campus annex...so we saw DS and the professor come walking down the street together in animated conversation. DS had a great meet and he emerged even more excited about the school.

YAY!

DS was hungry and ready to eat a meal but DH and I were mighty tired of being in that restaurant by that time. We had saved some bites of our apps for DS to eat to tide him over until the next real meal and we took off to do something touristy. We were headed to Regents Park.

• Like 1

"Perhaps it's just a bigger city thing? They can do this because of how quickly they go through the displayed food? IDK...I liked this aspect of London dining a lot."

Yes. The grocery stores are the same... if you look at expiration dates like I do, you'll rarely see anything past its prime. Too many people needing food, and especially prepared food.  Most folks don't bring lunch to work, or want to eat in the lunch room if there is one. We like to get out at lunchtime!

That streetscape picture of you, except for some minor differences in building style (these are older), could be in the residential parts of Brooklyn or Queens, or Paris. Definitely not suburbs, but out of the main business areas. We love our local places. Chains are for the tourists 🙂 except Starbucks, which is everywhere.

Two cute things from Lands End:

This skort which looks EARTH purple in the catalog:

https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-active-knit-skort/id_334634

And this dress in my fave color:

https://www.landsend.com/products/womens-sleeveless-scoopneck-print-ponte-sheath-dress/id_332385

The city hair. Ha ha. It's a constant annoyance.

This is so much fun.  London, Africa, and pretty soon, Margaret's cruise.  Melody, can you refresh my memory, please?  I am thinking you are heading somewhere soon too, or is it you, Sally?

I am currently printing wedding shower invitations.  We are getting that close.  The wedding shower is the first week in May.  The wedding is the second week in June.  It won't be long!

Margaret, I like that earthy purple skirt.  I often do what many people do when it comes to bottoms, and look for something darker.  The reality is though, I am much better off wearing a lighter color on the bottom, and a darker color on top.  It gives the impression that I am more proportional.  This would be a good choice for me, with perhaps a darker purple top.

And that dress is very you.  :-)  I think that is warmish blue too, which are great when you find them.

I wasn't looking for a winter coat, because I have a heavy parka type one from Eddie Bauer.  I also have a lightweight, top of the hip one that can be rolled up if I want.  It does seem that I often want something that is in between the two.  

I found this one here, and it is much nicer looking in person.  It is a brownish olive color - very earthy.  I also had a 50% off coupon.  I don't know why, but it was cheaper over the weekend than it is now.  And...they website had a sale too so I did really well with it.  The shape is flattering as well.  The medium fits perfectly, and I was wearing it over my Syracuse zip up.

https://www.eddiebauer.com/product/womens-eastside-3-in-1-trench-coat/20612366?showProducts=333&sizetype=&size=

I ordered a few things that were on clearance from Athleta that should be in  soon, and we will see how those work out.  I have bought swimsuits from there for a while now, but not their exercise clothing...it is generally a bit too expensive for my taste.  However, they had some things that didn't seem priced too bad, so I decided to give  it a shot.  Ebates found me a coupon too.

Those specialty coffees look so good.  I'm not a Starbucks fan, and I love it when I can find a place that serves really good specialty coffees.  In Boston, there is this little bakery we like to go to in the morning and the coffee there is so good!  I love food pictures.  One of the things I love about traveling is going to different places and eating different things.  We stay away from chains the best we can.  

We have nothing planned until November and then we are taking a five day cruise out of Tampa just to get away . Our big trip is next year to Amsterdam . Jjill is showing lots of earth colors .

I love the reviews of Africa and London.London is my absolute favorite place .

Laurie, we have a land trip to aft Myers on April 10. 

I was in ‘jJill & Eddie Bauer & Chico’s yesterday. Nothing in JJill. Les got two fleece 1/4 zip shirt/jackets of a phenomenal sale. Regular price of $75. With sale & 15% military discount they went down to $22. Then the clerk said, oh you have a reward that will expire tomorrow (didn’t know that). So his shirts were $12 apiece, we’re both happy!  I found a hot pink twin set (silk tank & silk overshirt) in Chico’s. I’d been looking at it on line, $99, on promotional for $40 & then 50% off. Walked out of there with both pieces for $21 including tax!  Made the dentist visit much more palatable!  Melody

Yes on the big city, less car dependent lifestyle that affects daily life in ways you just don’t think about until you experience it. I think east coast cities are really the only place in the states where the urban lifestyle is similar to European and possibly other less car dependent residences. Here in my downtown, there’s limited groceries. There’s plans for a major store...a lot of urban renewal happening, so much construction...but it is a work in progress and I still need my car even for groceries, even though I’m with walking distance of so much. That means my food plans still resemble suburban tendencies.

Lunch in London will be the same for DS. Even though he’s applying to the catered accommodation, they don’t cater lunch. He will be on his own for lunch...but wow, there are so many options...and many are quite reasonable. Do you have Pret a Manger in NYC? In London, they have an open display refrigerated case with the fresh made sandwiches and wraps and salads. I saw a wrap that was an Asian orange duck theme...3.50 pounds. Tons of inventive options in that 3-4 pound range. DS knows that DH has taken his lunch to work always...it’s so expensive otherwise in terms of money and time to go out for lunch, and DS is prepared to deal with his own lunch from home as the rule with an allowance to eat out as an exception. We’ll have to see how that goes.

I’m still intrigued by the urban lifestyle in that respect. I used to call it walkable...but really, it’s more about being car independent. I have a high walk ability score but key aspects of living require a vehicle. That’s a huge appeal with London. Sally, I agree with you...London captured my heart. I’m actually thrilled that DS gets to live there. I’m so grateful that his college years will be in that lifestyle as opposed to the typical campus one. He’s not a terribly active person...doesn’t enjoy participating in sport...so engaging in a lifestyle that by nature is more active will really help his physical health.

Nice skort. I have my eye on one from Columbia that has draw strings in the side seams. Not a traditional knit. Stretch tech fabric. Quick dry. I’m waiting though for new purchases. Let’s move and get more fit. I’ve begun a strength focused workout routine. It kicked my rear end literally...wow, my poor flutes haven’t been challenged much so the exercises really woke up some dormant muscles and they have been screaming at me.

I hope your purchases from Athleta work out Laurie. I usually wait for the clearances and sales. I have had good experiences with all my Athleta wear. Swim suits, skirts, skort, pants, tights, tanks, rash guards, and hoodie. I’ve read some reviews complaining about some quality issues but I haven’t had any issues.

I don’t necessarily have anything against Starbucks...it is a handy place. But it has become my drive thru coffee place. When we go out for coffee, we prefer an independent shop or a local chain. Like Margaret said about not liking chains as much...here in our downtown, Starbucks couldn’t compete with the local coffee shops. I only knew there was ever one downtown because of the residue on the windows that show the outline of the now removed logos. 

Score Melody!

I’m going to dye my hair purple. I researched it out and picked what I hope is a good product. With few exceptions, I’ve been really conservative my whole life, not trying things because I’ve been too concerned with a possible negative outcome. What if I hate it? Well...so what if I do? Or being concerned with how it looks to others. What will people think? So my personal birthday resolution is to just do things if I want to. Within reason of course...and then deal with whatever happens.

I think my hair has a winter line. That is, all the growth over the recent months hasn’t been lightened by the sun like the length and so I’ve got two tone hair. Curt helped me even out my tone years ago, so I’m going to do that first. Then I’m going to dye the length and the under purple...leaving the shorter layers my natural, but enhances, color. So natural will also be more around my face. I think this will help me experiment with the purple, in case I don’t quite get the most flattering tone to start.

I think this will be fun hair! With the health and fitness focus...I’m not as concerned with clothing. So I’m going to be paying more attention to things like my hair, nails, make up.

DH is home for a 4 day weekend so that makes me super happy.

Anita, first of all I’m sending happy birthday wishes your way. Pret a Manger- loved that place! There were so many of them in London when we were there that it was very convenient when we were out sightseeing and needed a bite. Great option for your son. I’m happy to hear that this college and its urban setting will be a good fit for your son. I can see that you and DH have carefully planned ahead to ensure that your son is able to take advantage of the best choice to achieve his goals. 

I agree with with you about the big city urban life style. Our DS and DIL purchased a new condo in downtown Minneapolis and they love the walkability of their location. There are two grocery stores near by as well as many entertainment and restaurant choices. Public transport, light rail also near by. The Mississippi is just a few blocks behind their building and there is a great biking, walking path there.  We spent a month there, most of which was during the Polar Vortex, ice , heavy snow period (an experience that was very interesting to say the least) so we only had a few opportunities to experience this urban life style. What little we did, we enjoyed. I think I could live there quite easily although I would still want a car. 

Sharon

Edited by purduemom1

Before

950275732_2019-03-2211_31_22.jpg.f64903cf78b31f39ba6ce250ac5a3a9d.jpg

After

732390176_2019-03-2309_00_17.jpg.19e57c2e428283ca61f40071dcc1387a.jpg

It was raining hard when we left NY so we were an hour late taking off, but landed only 1/2 hour late. We booked the Comfort Inn Airport North with my points, which is ten minutes from the terminal, and took the free shuttle. The hotel is fine, but it was more than an hour to the hotel. We waited 1/2 hour for the shuttle to come, and then dropped off three other parties at other hotels. We were last.

We were at the hotel about 4:30, exhausted, so we took a nap, ordered pizza for dinner, and crashed early.

Our bags are packed and we're waiting for our ride to Rhapsody!!

Margaret, enjoy every second of your cruise!  Looking forward to pictures. You took a lot more for the cruise than Africa 😉

Anita, big city living is so very different than suburban living. When we bought our house (good grief, 35 years ago) we had two major grocery chains in walking distance (both now gone), we were on a bus route (now moved a mile away) & a library in two blocks (it’s now 6 blocks away). Not a walkable area anymore 😢

Im dealing with a black widow spider bite on my foot (the good one of course). I’m on Prednisone & antibiotics for 10 days & foot is wrapped in ice. Not a happy camper here, at least I’ll be ok. I had lots of things planned this week. Melody

Have a wonderful time, Margaret.  I just got to thinking that it is not too early too think about what I"m bringing with me on my cruise in August!  Usually, I'd be done by now, lol.  I think it's because of the wedding, and also from not having any winter plans.  All my summery clothes are in storage under the bed, and will likely be looked at pretty soon.

My dresses are in the closet, so I can always look at those!  I was thinking of scaling back formal night a little.  That is kind of sad.  I LOVE formal night, as you know. I was thinking the first formal night will be a full length dress, but a simpler one.  I have two for this purpose that I got great deals on that I have not worn yet.  The second formal night I will go with a shorter dress, but more formal feeling.  I have to get the dresses out and post some pictures.

I find that I am thinking about this cruise a little differently.  It's not a big difference, but when I pack, I think a lot about what I am doing and my surroundings.  There are no beaches or palm trees this time, but wonderful coastal views and likely a bit more on foot exploring.  I tend to love to see things that are tropical or at least hint at it in my wardrobe, but not this time. One type of item that definitely works for both types of cruises is my Travex items from Eddie Bauer.  No doubt, I will be bringing a skort or two!  Definitely my walking sandals and my Nike flyknit sneaks that are such a good choice when my foot flares up.  

By the way, I felt initial relief after the cortisone shot in January, but not full relief.  It took the edge off, you know?  But I still had a lot of issues, up until a few weeks ago.  I got the flu, despite having my flu shot.  It meant a lot of laying around, which must be what my foot needed.  After that, my foot felt greater than it has in many months.  Then I wore a pair of shoes that I should not have, and it is starting to flare up again.

Although it isn't bad, it is annoying and I do have some evenings where I need to ice it a bit.  For those of you who have had cortisone shots before, do you find that having a series of shots works to get rid of pain, or does a shot only hold you over to the next shot?  I hope I worded that so it makes sense.  I was thinking that I should make sure I get the shot in April, and perhaps again in July unless I'm pain free after the previous shot.  

Most of my Athleta order arrived today.  It's very interesting buying clothes for the gym, but I spend quite a bit of time there, and what I wear has always influenced how I feel.  I care a lot about color and style in relation to what I feel good in, and typically, earth colors are nowhere to be found.  I have adjusted to this, and I avoid things that I don't feel good in completely.  I have no black or white, but I do find ways to make gray and navy work well for me in bottoms.  I add color whenever I possibly can.  I like strong color.

Getting back to my order, it is so unusual to find earth colors, but I grabbed them because just looking at them made me feel good.  This is the first time I've had actual activewear from Athleta.  The fit is absolutely perfect, and extremely comfortable.  I'm looking forward to wearing them, and looking forward to the rest of my order arriving.  

I'm also  thinking about how after I lost weight, I needed everything.  There was nothing that didn't need replacing, other than shoes and I wear those out so quickly, I still had to replace those too. I feel like our climate requires a variety of items, added to the fact that we go to the gym regularly, I work outside the home, and have many different types of clothing requirements for things.  I feel like I've come a long way, but there are still some voids.

One thing that I really, really miss is that I used to find a lot of nice tops that I could wear outside to work or outside of work that weren't basic knit tees.  Those are so hard to find now, it seems.  I need to keep my eyes open for things.

I'll post a picture of my Athleta items very shortly!