All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Don’t forget your dermatology skin checks!  Just returned from my quarterly check. I had a large squamous skin cancer removed from the top/side of my foot (that was a doozy). 42 other “suspicious” lesions removed (20 biopsied) from my face & hands, likely looking at more MOHS surgery, sigh. My foot is what my family doctor thought was gouty arthritis. At least I should be able to stop taking a couple of daily pills!  This lesion came up since early March so they’re quite quick growing. This is what was originally thought to be a spider bite. Tonight will not be comfortable 😢. Melody

Aw Melody...I hope you are get some sleep tonight. What is MOHS? I don't visit a dermatologist. When did you start doing that? I must admit though...I don't visit any doctor with any regularity. Our insurance is okay...but they keep making changes to it. Ever since the lovely government changes to health care, ours has gone downhill, in that we have coverage but it just seems to offer a discount on services without really covering anything. You'd think it would be so much better with DH's employer...but it isn't.

I have recently begun to be more diligent with my sunscreen. I have found a facial sunscreen that I think works really well and doesn't have a horrible chemical signature. I'm really picky about what I use so I tend to use sunscreen when I know I'll be in the sun but with the upcoming move to Florida, I'm trying hard to establish a better daily regimen for sun protection. I do tend to cover up with shirts and hats more than anything, but with the move back to warm weather, I'll need something more.

Lovely photos all around. Beautiful girl. Beautiful Africa.

My world is all about DS's graduation and going off to college. I can hardly believe that my one and only son is graduating in 19 days. OMG. And in just 128 days, we board for London where we will drop him off for uni. OMG AGAIN. And in 29 days, the packers arrive for our interstate move. Alrighty then. Laurie...I think you and I are both caught up in major life changes...at least in the family. It's intense!

• Like 1

Melody, I'm sending healthy vibes your way. That one on your foot is scary, that it came up so quickly. I too am curious about MOHS surgery. I've read about it but it's unclear to me what kind of cancer that is used for and what exactly is entailed.

I have my skin check coming up on the 9th. I only have to go once per year now and I'm hoping it stays that way. So far everything has been on my arms, and just one small basal cell on my calf.

Anita, it's not just the cancer. My skin that had the most sun exposure is getting blotchy as I'm aging, especially my chest and arms, compared to the rest of me.  So far my face looks ok. I was lucky to find a good dermatologist in my 50s and start having photo facials. I'm not interested in having procedures to look young, I'm not on TV, but I do want to look good for my age. There's not much that can be done for the scars from my biopsies, though.

MOHS surgery is specialized dermatology surgery. It is done by layers. You have a layer removed, it is biopsied to ensure margins are cleared & this is continued until margins are clear. MOHS surgery limits scarring (doesn’t eliminatevit, but does limit it). Most I’ve had to do was 10 layers, normal is 3-4. It is all done on the same day, but when you leave you know the cancer is gone (from that location). I had my first skin cancer removed in 1982, the curse of fair Irish skin & an outdoor lifestyle. 

I cannot stress the the importance of wearing sunscreen everyday...not just when you’ll be out in the sun. Ultra has an excellent line of sunscreen moisturizer for face & hands. Also Pacifica if you like the mineral type & Sun Bum is very moisturizing. Pacifica, Alba (hard to find & my favorite) & Sun Bum are reef safe. 

Margaret, try Dermablend to reduce the sight of the scarring. Melody

Paccruise , Those dresses are so elegant . Your daughter looks so nice in them .

Melody , Sending healing vibes ! I wear make up with sun screen every day . The Florida sun is brutal . My Sister has had many Cancer spots removed so far I have had none but I limit my sun exposure . That is a Florida joke you can tell the natives they are all pale faced .

Anita , I know health care has gotten crazy but please do not skip the annual breast exams or pap smears . They are really important .

• Thanks 1

Melody and Margaret, Have you had any "mapping" done? I have to admit that it wasn't the most pleasant experience I've ever had, not because of any kind of physical discomfort... it was all mental and emotional. I had to be au naturel and was photographed while sitting and (yes) lying on a white sheet, with a white sheet draped behind me as a background. Every inch of me was photographed. Nothing was spared. But, it literally has allowed the doctor to determine so much about whether there has been any change to my various moles and freckles, etc.

I have to say, though... that I had a basal cell removed recently. It didn't look awful; frankly, it looked like nothing of the various and sundry pictures I've ever seen of what a skin cancer is supposed to look like. I had actually gone into the doctor because I was extremely concerned about my nose! He wasn't the least bit concerned about my nose but was riveted by this spot on my chest that I'd been treating for quite a while because I didn't like it's look: it wasn't in the least troublesome as something that needed to be looked at; it just wasn't as "pretty" on my chest as I wanted my chest to be. So, I had been treating with various creams and ointments and it would fade and re-appear; like I said, though, nothing tremendously troubling. So imagine my surprise when the doctor insisted on its removal (again, thankfully). So, I second the thoughts of everyone to have a knowledgeable person take a look at your skin. 

I have been doing quite a bit of research on lessening of scars. Since I had this removed in November, the scar is still relatively new. My understanding is that there's a lot of change to a scar within its first 2 years. It's appearance after 2 years is pretty much the way that it will remain. But, in the meantime, I've researched that there's some benefit to scar massage. That's what I've been doing for the last few weeks (although, truth be told, I should have started massaging within the first 6 weeks of the scar's life).

Miss Anita told me to wear the scar as a badge of survival. I agree. (but, of course, I still want to mitigate its appearance as much as possible, right?!?). 

I happen to really like Murad Environmental Shield, City Skin Age Defense Broad Spectrum SPF 50/PA++++

It's not cheap, but it is cosmetically elegant. For me, it's way too pink of a cast for my skin tone. But, it does melt beautifully into the skin (it's a mineral sunscreen) and it works well with all of my foundations and tinted moisturizers. So.... yeah! You can find it at Sephora.

I bought so much Japanese sunscreen when we were in Japan! OMG. The best sunscreen I've ever used as far as "looks" are concerned as well as protection. Sunscreen. Can't talk enough about it. And, Sally, up the protection.... because I've researched and read enough to have the understanding that you don't use enough of the tinted moisturizers or foundations to really get the SPF coverage that you need. There's lots and lots of youtube clips about that. Maybe you meant that you use sunscreen AND makeup as opposed to sunscreen IN makeup.... but, just in case you meant the tinted moistures with SPF... I wanted to speak up about what I've been researching.

Edited by Member123
clarification and I found a dreaded typo

Margaret!

Omigosh!

You took me with you to Africa!

What an amazing, amazing trip we just went on. On the last cruise critic boards, I was able to isolate a single post and save it. I made some booklets of some of the postings that were incredible and I wanted to have a pdf file of them so I could have a future reference. I can't figure out a way to do that with this new "improved" (ha!) website! Does anyone know if that can still be done? This website reminds of the new "improved" cereals that always tasted horrible and you stopped buying them. I'm still here, but not nearly as much as I used to be. Maybe that's a good thing?!?

Kim!

Where are the pictures of you and Debbie and your fabulous get together?!? Have I messed up the dates and it hasn't happened yet?!?

Pam, I have had the mapping done (my dermatologist updates the mapping every 5 years). Definitely not the most comfortable procedure 🙄. I tried the Murad product, but I’m allergic to something in it. I wear sunscreen under my tinted moisturizer (my favorite tinted moisturizer is Estée Lauder Daywear with SPF50). Melody

1 hour ago, Anita Latte said:

We are fine. We are in Winston. I actually hadn't heard anything about this until Mom called me after reading your post, Margaret. I wonder if DS will hear something at school today. He is in the UNC system.

Good news, I couldn't remember what city you were in. I am sure there will be heightened security and extra vigilance at DS's school, that's usually the result.

As someone who has traveled and seen the deplorable conditions some people live in, and have no hope of escaping, I continue to feel astounded that the US with all its advantages continues to turn out people like this who are so full of rage against their fellow man. Something is terribly wrong here that we have so many of these stories.

• Like 1

I recently ordered and began using a Korean brand sunscreen with the brand name "Like I'm 5." I like it. It's a mineral sunscreen and all the ingredients are listed as a 2 or less on the skin-deep ewg site. I'm really picky about chemicals. Almost OCD. And probably not in a good way as, in the past, I have opted for using nothing as opposed to something that I thought would be detrimental in any way. I'm trying to change that now...it's not easy. (I'm not a germaphobe funny enough)...For a mineral sunscreen, it does blend in very well, not feeling the significant white cast on the face, unless you get it stuck in your hair. It is literally sunscreen only, so you do have to take other steps for moisturizing, and this sunscreen can feel a bit drying if I don't do the moisturizing step, but this is fine with me as I have preferred products for that anyway.

I have never been a big sun bather. I've had bouts with being more active but have never been able to be as active as I think I want to be. All that should change in Florida so it will be interesting to see what happens after September. I've usually been a person that takes extra care with the sun...I witnessed enough of the sunburns Mom suffered and that was one lesson I didn't necessarily need to learn on my own.

4 hours ago, Sailor_Sally said:

I also had the mapping done . Why didn't they ask me to be naked when I was 30 not 70 .

LOL Sally

Most of my sun exposure happened before age 30, and then I started to be careful. Too late. Since we were babies my family would go to Florida for two weeks in the spring and fry in the sun until vacation was over. Then we would play in the lake all summer in Michigan, and because it wasn't very hot, and the sun was mild, we didn't noticeably burn. But we would all be tan by the end of summer. Plus nobody had air conditioning so we had the windows open in the car all the time.

I have such sensitive skin and I cannot use a chemical sunscreen. I look for titanium or zinc oxide-based mineral sunscreen. Even with sunscreen on, my face and neck will react if I'm in the sun and heat too long. I am a big fan of palapas these days, plus a hat AND good sunglasses!

Here is the website Anita mentioned, with sunscreen ingredients and ratings:

https://www.ewg.org/sunscreen/

BTW when I go to the beach I always bring hair conditioner, put some on each time my hair gets wet, and leave it on. It keeps my colored hair from drying out too much.

Melody, I've been using Kat Von D tattoo concealer on my scar, it works very well. Now that I've had my scar for so long and I'm used to it (and it's less purple) I don't usually bother unless I'm going out fairly dressed up.

Edited by MJC
clarity
  • Like 1

I’m pretty fortunate, all the surgeries I’ve had (especially the ones on my face) I don’t have appreciable scarring. I had a basal removed from the side of my nose (250 microsutures) & even without makeup it’s hard to see. I’ve have 4 major surgeries on my face, two on my chest & one on my ring finger & now this bigger than quarter sized on the top/side of my foot. It helps that my MOHS surgeon/dermatologist had a residency in plastic surgery before he settled into MOHS. His comment, all of your damage was done before the age of 25, it’s just now coming to the surface. I’m religious (now) about sunscreen, hats & trying not to be out between 10-2. Melody

The packers come 3 weeks from today...

I have an OT post here...just something that I have debated sharing ever since having a conversation with Kim sometime last week. Anyway...if after figuring out my topic, you don't want to read it...please just disregard this post. 

One night in November 2017, I was walking downtown at night with DS. We had gone to have sushi at the place we do and we had decided to go see the Van Gogh movie at the local indie cinema. There used to be a pedestrian bridge the linked the street where we were to the street where the movie theater is. It was dark and the area had street lights, but it wasn't well lit. There were 3 men whose age I could not determine at a distance...they made me nervous. For no other reason than the fact that they were 3 men. Strangers. And I didn't feel like I could defend myself in the event that I needed to.

I've learned a bit about personal defense since that day in November. I've done some things for myself that I really wanted to do. It's taken me over a year and more to work on some skills...and I have on my heart to share one thing...so I wanted to share something that every person can do to have a little something extra for their personal defense.

The first thing has been talked about here before...Margaret mentioned personal awareness. Not walking along the streets with headphones on. Not having your nose in your phone. Being aware and present in the moment. Head up. Looking around. Alert. Make yourself appear to be what they call a hard target. Or at least a harder target. Mom carries a PacSafe purse and she has seen the eyes that look over the crowds and seen the notice that is taken of her hard target purse and seen those calculating eyes keep looking.

I really want to share, because it seemed like no one had talked to Kim about this before...and no one had talked to me about this before I decided to reach out and learn...so I'm going to stand on this platform I have here on this thread to share with the people that read it...after all this talk about self care...I'm believing that this is along those same lines. Melody can talk about self care...Margaret too...with relation to skin and sun and damage and treatment. This is what I have to add.

Carry a flashlight.

A flashlight is a very useful personal defense weapon. But not just any old flashlight.

You want a tactical flashlight. Streamlight is one manufacturer of the type of flashlight I'm talking about here. Something with HIGH lumens. Like 500, 750 or even 1000. The best flashlight will also have a strobe light function. You click the button in a certain way and when the flashlight turns on, it's a bright, bright, blinding strobe light. This will disorient anyone and will give you time to get away from whatever situation you need to get away from. DH and I have purchased 3 of these flashlights. One of for each of our family...and it is something that we expect DS to use when he lives in London. This is the one we got:

https://www.streamlight.com/en/products/detail/index/protac-2l-x#

DH picked this one because it has at least the minimum brightness recommended, it is rechargeable, it is lightweight and it is of a size that we actually use it. Also, we could afford to buy 3 of them. Tactical flashlights can be expensive.

In my training, I learned that the brighter the better. Also, the recommended one in the class is heavier with a more heavy duty housing that could double as a weapon...as in, it would really hurt if you used the flashlight to hit someone. That recommended flashlight was around $100 so, that wasn't the one we got. But this is another consideration to share...if you have a heavier duty flashlight, you can make a fist around it...have some flashlight end exposed and aim the heel of your hand with the exposed bit of flashlight for the neck, the ears, the eyes, the tip of the nose...and do some serious damage.

There's a clip on the flashlight so you can put it in a pocket with the clip attached on the pocket edge so that you could easily pull it out of your pocket.

The other night...I noticed a lady walking along downtown and she fully had her flashlight out and was using it on the street as she was walking. Just like a normal flashlight. Lighting her path in front of her as she was walking along. I thought to myself...she looks like a hard target. She looks prepared. Someone looking for someone easy would likely just pass right over her.

Kim was talking about some possible travel and asking me if I had ever felt unsafe in London at night. For the record, I didn't. We were always in well lit and mostly well populated areas. But still, I talked to her about having a flashlight...and it struck me afterwards...I wished I could talk to everyone about flashlights. Such a simple thing but not something that often comes up in conversation. But it should. IMO. Just like taking care of your skin...and any other self care...I think this falls under that same umbrella.

So that's my PSA of the day. It's something that I think everyone should own and carry.

And if anyone has ever accidentally looked into such a bright flashlight (yep...I have), you know that even during the day, if you look directly at one, you see spots for quite some time afterwards. It's like the flash for taking a picture. You feel like you can't see right for a while afterwards...imagine if the light never shut off? Imagine if it was a flashing strobe. You want to get away from it.

I wish that Physical Education in schools would cover some basic self defense. There's a required Health class that could work too. They bring in local law enforcement to talk to the kids during red ribbon week. I seriously think that some basic self defense should be something that is taught in the schools. For real. Just like the fire drill. And now the lockdown drills. In CA, we had earthquake drills. Equipping our population to know what to do "in the event of" seems like something we think about...

Anyway...with the move...with more travel...with DS living in a very big city...with ourselves living in a new city. We're going to a big music festival this weekend...and while I'm not worried...I admit that I am planning on carrying my flashlight. And I'm pretty happy that I have such a cool flashlight to carry. And I thought I'd just share this with everyone here.

And now...back to work...as I said...the packers will be here in 3 short weeks.

Edited by Anita Latte
  • Thanks 1

Anita , This is a great subject . Years ago my late husband and I were mugged in the Bahamas and ever since then I am really aware when someone gets too close .The flashlight is a great idea .

Margaret , I know you were eyeing this dress . Well I bought it . it was on sale for $29.99 and it arrived today . The material is clingy and it just is not flattering athttps://www.jjill.com/product/floral-color-block-knit-dress-126811s-1?color=25N all on me so it's going back which is a shame I had high hopes

7 hours ago, Anita Latte said:

The packers come 3 weeks from today...

I have an OT post here...just something that I have debated sharing ever since having a conversation with Kim sometime last week. Anyway...if after figuring out my topic, you don't want to read it...please just disregard this post. 

One night in November 2017, I was walking downtown at night with DS. We had gone to have sushi at the place we do and we had decided to go see the Van Gogh movie at the local indie cinema. There used to be a pedestrian bridge the linked the street where we were to the street where the movie theater is. It was dark and the area had street lights, but it wasn't well lit. There were 3 men whose age I could not determine at a distance...they made me nervous. For no other reason than the fact that they were 3 men. Strangers. And I didn't feel like I could defend myself in the event that I needed to.

I've learned a bit about personal defense since that day in November. I've done some things for myself that I really wanted to do. It's taken me over a year and more to work on some skills...and I have on my heart to share one thing...so I wanted to share something that every person can do to have a little something extra for their personal defense.

The first thing has been talked about here before...Margaret mentioned personal awareness. Not walking along the streets with headphones on. Not having your nose in your phone. Being aware and present in the moment. Head up. Looking around. Alert. Make yourself appear to be what they call a hard target. Or at least a harder target. Mom carries a PacSafe purse and she has seen the eyes that look over the crowds and seen the notice that is taken of her hard target purse and seen those calculating eyes keep looking.

I really want to share, because it seemed like no one had talked to Kim about this before...and no one had talked to me about this before I decided to reach out and learn...so I'm going to stand on this platform I have here on this thread to share with the people that read it...after all this talk about self care...I'm believing that this is along those same lines. Melody can talk about self care...Margaret too...with relation to skin and sun and damage and treatment. This is what I have to add.

Carry a flashlight.

A flashlight is a very useful personal defense weapon. But not just any old flashlight.

You want a tactical flashlight. Streamlight is one manufacturer of the type of flashlight I'm talking about here. Something with HIGH lumens. Like 500, 750 or even 1000. The best flashlight will also have a strobe light function. You click the button in a certain way and when the flashlight turns on, it's a bright, bright, blinding strobe light. This will disorient anyone and will give you time to get away from whatever situation you need to get away from. DH and I have purchased 3 of these flashlights. One of for each of our family...and it is something that we expect DS to use when he lives in London. This is the one we got:

https://www.streamlight.com/en/products/detail/index/protac-2l-x#

DH picked this one because it has at least the minimum brightness recommended, it is rechargeable, it is lightweight and it is of a size that we actually use it. Also, we could afford to buy 3 of them. Tactical flashlights can be expensive.

In my training, I learned that the brighter the better. Also, the recommended one in the class is heavier with a more heavy duty housing that could double as a weapon...as in, it would really hurt if you used the flashlight to hit someone. That recommended flashlight was around $100 so, that wasn't the one we got. But this is another consideration to share...if you have a heavier duty flashlight, you can make a fist around it...have some flashlight end exposed and aim the heel of your hand with the exposed bit of flashlight for the neck, the ears, the eyes, the tip of the nose...and do some serious damage.

There's a clip on the flashlight so you can put it in a pocket with the clip attached on the pocket edge so that you could easily pull it out of your pocket.

The other night...I noticed a lady walking along downtown and she fully had her flashlight out and was using it on the street as she was walking. Just like a normal flashlight. Lighting her path in front of her as she was walking along. I thought to myself...she looks like a hard target. She looks prepared. Someone looking for someone easy would likely just pass right over her.

Kim was talking about some possible travel and asking me if I had ever felt unsafe in London at night. For the record, I didn't. We were always in well lit and mostly well populated areas. But still, I talked to her about having a flashlight...and it struck me afterwards...I wished I could talk to everyone about flashlights. Such a simple thing but not something that often comes up in conversation. But it should. IMO. Just like taking care of your skin...and any other self care...I think this falls under that same umbrella.

So that's my PSA of the day. It's something that I think everyone should own and carry.

And if anyone has ever accidentally looked into such a bright flashlight (yep...I have), you know that even during the day, if you look directly at one, you see spots for quite some time afterwards. It's like the flash for taking a picture. You feel like you can't see right for a while afterwards...imagine if the light never shut off? Imagine if it was a flashing strobe. You want to get away from it.

I wish that Physical Education in schools would cover some basic self defense. There's a required Health class that could work too. They bring in local law enforcement to talk to the kids during red ribbon week. I seriously think that some basic self defense should be something that is taught in the schools. For real. Just like the fire drill. And now the lockdown drills. In CA, we had earthquake drills. Equipping our population to know what to do "in the event of" seems like something we think about...

Anyway...with the move...with more travel...with DS living in a very big city...with ourselves living in a new city. We're going to a big music festival this weekend...and while I'm not worried...I admit that I am planning on carrying my flashlight. And I'm pretty happy that I have such a cool flashlight to carry. And I thought I'd just share this with everyone here.

And now...back to work...as I said...the packers will be here in 3 short weeks.

Anita, my daughter teaches PE, health & self awareness. She has a two week seminar (taught by our local police)  that discusses & instructs on exactly what you’re talking about. I always carry a flashlight (always have) & that is now a tactical flashlight. Back in the 70s I was a police paramedic,I was attacked one night in the parking lot (stupid mugger). I gouged his eye with my keys (always held key out in my fist) (hard to do with key fobs now) & hit him over the head with my flashlight. He ended up with a felony arrest & over 60 facial stitches from my keys. Don’t mess with a woman with a flashlight & good self awareness. Stay off your darn phones!  Melody 

We’re just back from our grandson’s college graduation (summa cum laude in Physics, sciences & secondary education). We went up to Estes Park after for a couple of days of R&R. Melody

A8A3C92C-F483-4E30-B6A2-12A3D848F06E.jpeg

1A157523-06C1-422C-972D-D8FFEDEDBC0A.jpeg

7CBACB07-313F-4C43-AAC5-29F203CD3176.jpeg

E69A33BF-0D2B-4EB0-8DDA-B30CC434CE14.jpeg

C22D61B2-2D6A-4816-9387-3AA31CF4AF72.jpeg

E28FBBFF-0F12-43EA-BCEF-3BBBB5D79749.jpeg

60B83696-97F8-4F90-BB31-D0732F372D9F.jpeg

C9189ABE-B1B5-4BEE-B12D-5E70F34D1DAA.jpeg

9C4264F5-1672-4E4D-92F8-C6BD75C7D93A.jpeg

• Like 1

Melody, you must be so proud. What an accomplished family you have! Is that a moose? I have never seen one. I haven't spent much time in the west (yet).

Good point about the flashlight. So important. DH and I began carrying small maglites when we had our first cottage because it was on a dirt road with no streetlights, so when we arrived late on Fridays we couldn't see to put the key in the front door. DH had to walk most of the way home on 9/11 and it came in very handy then (he had a trail of people following behind him on the 59th Street bridge). Just a year later there was a big blackout on the east coast, and it was again very helpful for the long walk home. Both times he walked the leather off the bottom of his shoes. 😮

I'm doing the happy dance because I got my birthday present... two tix for Queen + Adam Lambert at MSG this summer! I'm so excited! We haven't been to a concert in ages.

I've been too busy to work on the last installment of our Africa adventure, but it's coming soon. After that it should be warm enough to start gardening. Woohoo!

• Like 1

I picked up two jjill dresses at my local funky closeout boutique for 6.99/ea. They are the same style in different colors, both are now discontinued.

This one is IMO AIR (the green is more grayish than this pic, plus it has PINK), but it's close enough for me to make a great around-the-house dress or nightgown:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/J-Jill-Sz-S-Tunic-Dress-Floral-Sleeveless-Green-Pink-Pockets-Cotton-Blend-/233219493340?oid=233191489437

The second one is the same style as above but in this color:

https://www.ebay.com/i/113725256976?chn=ps

Of course I lurve it. :)

Sally, that dress was really cute, so disappointing to hear about the fabric.

Margaret, that is an elk (or Wapiti). What fun, a concert!  We don’t go to them anymore as Les can’t enjoy them due to his hearing issues

i heard back from my dermatologist, 20 of the places he biopsied came back as squamous or basal cell cancers (sigh). I’m fortunate that only two of the places (the one on my foot & one beside my eye) need to have the MOHS surgery. When he does a biopsy he tries to get good margins to negate the need for more surgery. 42 spots, 20 significant & 2 needing further work...pretty good. Melody 

3D15C1A4-17E3-472B-AC5D-508DFF8A6BD6.jpeg

0B9E5EDD-3AB0-4670-B998-B6C9AF0165D3.jpeg

P.S. to Sally and anyone else learning the new CC.

If you want to post a link that is click-able (a hotlink), click on the thing to the left of the smiley face (to me it looks a bit like a paperclip), copy the link in the space for "URL", and then click on "Insert into Post". Then when you save your post the link will be blue and others can just click on it to go right to the photo.

I can't tell you how long it took me to figure that out with the new format.  🤔