If you've ever booked a guaranty cabin, were you pleased with the result or not?

cheezwiz

So question for everyone, which may sound dumb, but how do you go about booking a guarantee cabin? I have never seen that option available on the website? Do you have to go through a travel agent, or call RC directly? Or am I not looking in the right place when booking?

Guarantees are not available on every cruise or every category. If one is available for your cruise, it will show up on the website.

So question for everyone, which may sound dumb, but how do you go about booking a guarantee cabin? I have never seen that option available on the website? Do you have to go through a travel agent, or call RC directly? Or am I not looking in the right place when booking?

IF the guarantee option is available, on Royal's site it will be at the bottom of the stateroom category page with the cheery statement: "Let Us Choose For You!!" It seems to show up more the closer you get to the sail date.

ETA: As an example, take a look at Adventure of the Seas sailings 4/16/16 or 4/30/16 and select balcony, then scroll down. It's there right now.

Edited by cheezwiz

However, a couple of the sailings I've looked at have the balcony guarantee priced HIGHER than the regular balcony choices.

I have seen that as well (for different cruises, not only AOS, not even only RC), sometimes the price for the guarantee was higher than the highest price for any available balcony... The only ideas I could come up with was a recent price drop for the regular balcony cabins but not the guarantee or "it's a trap" (luring people into booking a guarantee hoping to be assigned a suite upgrade).

Booking GTY is my default (usually after final payment), but if some deal comes along I'll take it. Booked a Z GTY (inside) on Quantum and ended up with a D6 balcony - but that was an unusual situation because on the maiden cruise RCI upgraded lots of folks from insides (and the ship was nowhere near full).

• 6 months later...

We only just started booking guarantees because until recently, we were traveling with our children and needed two cabins directly across the hall from each other. But now that our children are adults, and don't cruise with us every time, location doesn't matter as much.

We booked an inside guarantee on Liberty, and got a nice inside cabin on deck 8 a few cabins down from the aft elevator lobby (what I would consider a decent location)

We booked a balcony guarantee on Anthem and got a 75% obstructed view cabin. We were able to move to another obstructed view balcony that was "only" 50% obstructed. I didn't care for this cabin at all, but it was only $50 more than an inside, so I feel that comparatively, it was still a good value.

Thanks everyone. This will be our first cruise gty cabin. The thing is, it is just the 2 of us now, no kids and we live in Orlando so we can do last minute cruises now. We obviously can do more cruises if we do gty cabins, we are going to try it this sailing.

Thanks for your replies.

We booked a last minute (2 weeks before sailing date) inside guarantee on Oasis a few years ago and got assigned a boardwalk balcony on deck 14. We loved the location so much that we have 2 Boardwalk deck 14 balconies booked on the Harmony in November.

Originally Posted by Mjasp View Post

... Has anyone booked through a travel agent and changed the location of their gty assigned cabin themselves?

The travel agent has to request the stateroom change.

I brought this up with our travel agent before our last cruise, the Anthem one which we were originally assigned a terrible view Cat. DO mentioned in my post 43 above. For a simple cabin change within the same category, so there wasn't a payment to upgrade to a different category, she placed a notation in our reservation file that we were allowed to make this type of cabin change directly with RCI if necessary.

As it turned out the better view same category cabin we changed to showed up late on a Saturday evening when the TA office was closed but we were able to switch to it by simply calling RC directly even though we booked through an agency. :D

For a simple cabin change within the same category, so there wasn't a payment to upgrade to a different category, she placed a notation in our reservation file that we were allowed to make this type of cabin change directly with RCI if necessary.

As it turned out the better view same category cabin we changed to showed up late on a Saturday evening when the TA office was closed but we were able to switch to it by simply calling RC directly even though we booked through an agency. :D

A bit unusual but good to know.

Hi,

I'm reading these posts with interest. We just booked two 13 night (gty inside cabins) cruises doing B2B, thru our TA (whom we've booked over 10 cruises with). Usually we get good locations & even an upgrade sometimes. We will be D+ after these cruises.

This time our cabin locations were at the very front of the ship & on different decks. Called our TA right away - explained we would like to get cabins close together if possible, could he do anything. He said it would be asking RCCL for a favour. Said normally people take what they get with Gty cabins. I understand what he's saying but, honestly expected a little more from this guy. I could see that there were plenty of cabins available at the back of the ship, as well as promenade, virtual balconies, etc. We weren't even asking for an upgrade.

Anyway, we persisted & he got us two cabins around the corner from each, which is acceptable. Wonder if I should have called RCCL directly instead?? Now I know this should have been a no brainer for him to do for us right?

NJ

Booked our first GTY inside cabin last night and we were assigned the highest category inside cabin. Deck 8, however the only downside is that it is a connecting cabin. My husband doesn't mind but can't you hear everything through the doors?

This is the first time I did a GTY cabin and the first for an inside. We live in Florida now, so if we try GTY insides, we can cruise often.

Hi,

I'm reading these posts with interest. We just booked two 13 night (gty inside cabins) cruises doing B2B, thru our TA (whom we've booked over 10 cruises with). Usually we get good locations & even an upgrade sometimes. We will be D+ after these cruises.

This time our cabin locations were at the very front of the ship & on different decks. Called our TA right away - explained we would like to get cabins close together if possible, could he do anything. He said it would be asking RCCL for a favour. Said normally people take what they get with Gty cabins. I understand what he's saying but, honestly expected a little more from this guy. I could see that there were plenty of cabins available at the back of the ship, as well as promenade, virtual balconies, etc. We weren't even asking for an upgrade.

Anyway, we persisted & he got us two cabins around the corner from each, which is acceptable. Wonder if I should have called RCCL directly instead?? Now I know this should have been a no brainer for him to do for us right?

NJ

Once you have been assigned a specific category cabin type, you should be able to move around within the category among available inventory.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by wiiCruz2