Carnival v. Norwegian

Qchell

We have sailed both lines, but like CCL. Our 1st was on the Jewel and we got the balcony like on CCL. Problem! The bunk beds block the door to the balcony so when the kids were sleeping we would have to climb over him to get in/out. The next time we booked NCL Pearl we got OV, since balcony was useless, we booked straight thru NCL and were told there were 4 beds. Got there to find out that only 3 beds and they put a cot between me and my husband for our son. So not the way I wanted to spend my week.......

The kids also do not like NCL camp because with CCL you look at the schedule go to the activities you want and leave for the ones you don't. NCL will make them stay for 2 hours no matter what.

We liked the buffet on NCL better, much better set up but the food was basically the same all week where CCL changes the selections daily and by meal.

But since on Carnival, I can choose to do set time dining, I know that I can be seated on time for a dinner in the MDR with my grandchildren at an appropriate time - on that NCL cruise, I would get to the MDR at 6pm with three hungry boys (ages 2-11) to be told the wait was 2 hours.

Makes sense.

You will find more differences between the Carnival Vista and the Carnival Ecstasy than you will find between the average Carnival cruise and the average Norwegian cruise.

I've been on 10 Carnival and 10 Norwegian cruises and and like each of them. They each have some good points and some bad points but they even out in the long run.

What matters most to me is the itinerary and the price is second and the ship third regardless of which cruise line it is.

i think it is personal preference when selecting a ship to sail. Price and itinerary are my picks and both lines offer good deals. Since MDD is a teacher we take the 4-day with Carnival in July when her DD spends time with her ex. We love the 4-day and the smaller manageable ship.

Carnival hands down for the FTTF program which makes it easy for us. Along with the ability to carry wine on board without the $15 charge is a large winner for me! We did stay in a suite once and we did not feel it was worth the money so we returned to an oceanview. The buffet is not good so we are looking forward to Guy's except my DD will miss the WOK. The DH and I never eat in the buffet on NCL. I agree with another poster that we like NCL offers a dining venue for lunch for all passengers on embarkation day which I would love to see on Carnival. NCL Suite/Haven guests have a separate dining venue for embarkation, breakfast and lunch.

I cannot measure other items such as shows etc. since it has been awhile sailing on a larger Carnival ship.

But since on Carnival, I can choose to do set time dining, I know that I can be seated on time for a dinner in the MDR with my grandchildren at an appropriate time - on that NCL cruise, I would get to the MDR at 6pm with three hungry boys (ages 2-11) to be told the wait was 2 hours.

Yes, this is true if you didn't make reservations but for MDRs you can always make a reservation even the day of the night you want to eat. Hope this helps for next time.

Yes, this is true if you didn't make reservations but for MDRs you can always make a reservation even the day of the night you want to eat. Hope this helps for next time.

I don't know why they are now taking reservations for MDR. They have 2 others DRs and OSheehans, all free. Wait till you get on Breakaway and Getaway, you'll see what I mean.

I have been on three Carnival ships--Liberty, Spirit, and Pride and but only one Norwegian--the Sun. We have always had a balcony. The only significant difference I noticed was the size of the staterooms--Carnival's

are slightly larger!

Our first cruise was on Carnival in 2011 and have been sailing her ever since and have loved every cruise. Lately, however, with the loss of the Future Cruise Certificates and the decrease in loyalty perks for anyone below Platinum level we have been having fewer reasons to stay exclusively loyal to Carnival. With only being able to cruise once a year it is going to be a number of years before we reach the Platinum status, so at this point, what's a few more years.

I've noticed that Norwegian appears to have similar pricing and much different itineraries - if fewer choices. I am NOT looking to start a 'bash Carnival' thread - we love Carnival and will continue to cruise her. I just would like to know from those who have cruised both - as we have only ever cruised Carnival, what differences would we encounter on Norwegian?

I have never cruises on Norwegian, but a coworker of mine is going on her second Norwegian cruise in a week. I've been doing a little research because I'm curious as to what that line has to offer, and I was shocked to learn that Norwegian charges for the use of their adults-only deck called Vibe (their Serenity deck equivalent). I think the price is something like $79/person, and if would want to rent what they call a cabana (looks like a fancy version of the clamshell chairs that Carnival has on the Serenity deck, it's over $300. Idk, given that the adults-only Serenity deck is my favorite part of the ship, I think I'll probably stick to Carnival where it's free to use.

Just got back from cruise #20 on Carnival, but have begun "wandering" to NCL for a change of cruise experiences. Have been on Gem, Breakaway, Epic and Getaway - so 3 of 4 are their "newer" ships. Yes, we pay for the Vibe experience on NCL, and love it. Gets us away from the crowds. We find the entertainment on the ships better than Carnival, but I really feel that is because we have seen all the Carnival shows many times, so new is better for us. I like NCL's buffets, and the fact they have another area aft on the larger ships to grab a bite - again, less crowded. CCL has different food areas also - depending what ship - deli/grill/wok/rotisserie/fish n chips/pizza/etc. O'Sheehans Pub is one of my favorite places to eat - CCL has nothing like that. Never thought I would like free-style dining - but love that, and have never yet even set foot into an NCL's dining room! NCL's Howl at the Moon makes CCL's piano bar look terrible! Comedy shows are comparitable. And truthfully - now that NCL has the unlimited alcohol package as one of it's free picks - the crowds seem the same. We are "planners" so have everything booked before we get onboard an NCL ship. On Carnival you have no planning, unless you book steakhouse/Italian on ships that have it. We always get a balcony cabin, and CCL's seem to be larger than NCL's- especially for storage space. All in all, we book for itinerary/price/ship, so wherever we get the best deal is where we go!

I have never cruises on Norwegian, but a coworker of mine is going on her second Norwegian cruise in a week. I've been doing a little research because I'm curious as to what that line has to offer, and I was shocked to learn that Norwegian charges for the use of their adults-only deck called Vibe (their Serenity deck equivalent). I think the price is something like $79/person, and if would want to rent what they call a cabana (looks like a fancy version of the clamshell chairs that Carnival has on the Serenity deck, it's over $300. Idk, given that the adults-only Serenity deck is my favorite part of the ship, I think I'll probably stick to Carnival where it's free to use.

Based on my one voyage on Sunshine, I did not find the Serenity to be that usable because of the rampant hogging. It actually sounds like a practical plan to have assigned seating, for those willing to pay.

Our first cruise was on Carnival in 2011 and have been sailing her ever since and have loved every cruise. Lately, however, with the loss of the Future Cruise Certificates and the decrease in loyalty perks for anyone below Platinum level we have been having fewer reasons to stay exclusively loyal to Carnival. With only being able to cruise once a year it is going to be a number of years before we reach the Platinum status, so at this point, what's a few more years.

I've noticed that Norwegian appears to have similar pricing and much different itineraries - if fewer choices. I am NOT looking to start a 'bash Carnival' thread - we love Carnival and will continue to cruise her. I just would like to know from those who have cruised both - as we have only ever cruised Carnival, what differences would we encounter on Norwegian?

Hi there. We have an article that compares the two lines here: http://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=1845. Hope it helps!

Love Carnival and our one cruise on NCL was great; I have wanted to try them and RC again but Carnival keeps throwing deals my way so I haven't yet. I really didn't think there was a big difference between the two. Food and service was still great, cabins were nice. I would say the shows I saw on NCL were a notch above what I have seen from Carnival. Give it a shot!

Do you have to make reservations for the shows on NCL ahead of time? Are they all free or are any for an extra fee? From what Little I have read, it seems like you have to pre-plan a lot for NCL but maybe this is just for the newer larger ships? Also, on the NCL sun decks, do you have to get up and get your own drinks at the bar or do they have servers that come around to take orders for your chair? I too am curious about the differences but would like to know more of the intricate details, not just who has better food, entertainment, etc. TIA!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Do you have to make reservations for the shows on NCL ahead of time? Are they all free or are any for an extra fee? From what Little I have read, it seems like you have to pre-plan a lot for NCL but maybe this is just for the newer larger ships? Also, on the NCL sun decks, do you have to get up and get your own drinks at the bar or do they have servers that come around to take orders for your chair? I too am curious about the differences but would like to know more of the intricate details, not just who has better food, entertainment, etc. TIA!

Depends on the ship, but yes, the most desirable times for dinner in the specialty restaurants book up well before the cruise. Shows are mostly free, except for dinner shows, and it's recommended you make reservations for headliner shows on the new ships ahead of time.

And yes, there are plenty of bar servers on deck to bring you drinks from bar. During the busiest times (afternoons on sea days) it can take awhile to get a drink even if you go to the pool deck bars.

We are platinum with carnival and started cruising ncl. We got to platinum status with ncl rather fast. Booking in advance and suites helped. There are discounts onboard with ncl. In gift shop, photos and I forget what else.

We actually prefer ncl. I realize suites may not be an option to a lot of people but we have really enjoyed the reasonable priced family suites. The perks for a suite with ncl will knock carnival out of the park.

We still sail carnival for the 5 day cruises ( New Orleans does not have any 5 day for ncl), also use carnival for the key west and Bahamas trip. Other than that we go ncl.