Newer does not mean better

nimiq

Have you notice in the ranking (Polls) of the newer ships how the cruise lines have failed tremendously in brining a good product to the front of the line. Maybe two exceptions to this rule would be Celebrity with the Solstice class and Holland America with Eurodam class.

Here a quick look on what I found on the net that should make the cruise line realize that not because you have big water slides or multiple paying dinning option makes it the best ship at sea. I think its time for them to goo back to the drawing board and listen to the clients.

Questions they should ask themselves like why do people cruise,what makes it a memorable voyage or do we need to go this big to make it better ?

Anyhow here some fun facts I tried to gather and will post on the other threads as well to be fair.

Carnival :

The spirit class ship is a big winner over the newer Breeze.

NCL :

Jewel,Pearl and Jade top winners over the Getaway and the not so favorite Breakaway and Escape.

Princess :

Big winners are the smallest one in the fleet Pacific and Ocean Princess followed by popular ones like Coral,Island,Diamond and Ruby Princess. Cruising last Regal and Royal.

RCCL :

The loved ones Serenade,Freedom and Mariner. The not so liked ones Anthem and Quantum. As for the Oasis and Allure for being the biggest ship in the world to me they are doing very good in RCCL top five ships.

Holland America :

The newer class such as the Eurodam is leading the way to a very good choice of ship for that line.

Celebrity :

Have scored the best of all the lines with the newer product sur as the Equinox and Eclipse (Solstice class).

Have fun commenting love this board

sea ya

Eric

For me, BIGGER is not better and that is why I have avoided the larger, newer ships. Too many people on board! I have absolutely no interest in sailing on Carnival Vista.

I am looking forward to my cruise on HAL's newest ship, the Koningsdam, which will weigh in at 99,000 GT. This will only be my 2nd cruise on a new ship, the first being my cruise on the Imagination in January, 1996, which I loved.

Edited by Taters

We've got a cruise booked on the Vista for next year, just to see what it's like. We sailed on the Breeze last year and had a good time. My favorite (Carnival) class is the Conquest class. We've been on the Liberty twice, and have a cruise coming up on the Conquest. If Carnival could figure out a way to put the Waterworks on one of the Conquest class of ships, I don't think I'd bother to sail on any others. :D

Edited by beachbum53

I've sailed the bigger, newer ships, but greatly prefer the Spirit Class, or even most of the Fantasy Class ships. I don't think the "beards" have a clue about what the great majority of us look for in a cruise. :confused:

"SKY"

Where's the "Like" button?

If I could get a Spirit class with all the 2.0 upgrades, it MIGHT be my favorite ship. My favorites right now are Breeze and Liberty. Can't justify cruising from Baltimore on pride when there are many other cruises that are far more appealing to me.

Edited by vwrestler171

We're sailing on Vista in July. Why? We like Carnival's product and want to do a Med cruise. The "bells and whistles" have very little to do with our booking, especially since this is a port-intensive cruise. We won't have much time to experience a lot of the new areas.

My personal favorite is Carnival Glory. We've sailed her five times and find her to be a comfortable ship. She's 14 years old now and I still love her:)

I guess we liked the Breeze okay... But it was hot for us all over the ship. Lots to do, but for us?

Give me the Miracle and other Spirit class ships.

Do agree about the 2.0. Those upgrades are nice.

We liked the Liberty a lot, and after a long pause, we finally booked again on the Conquest.

The first time we sailed a Conquest class ship, we hated it - said it was way too big and crowded for us.

We sailed the Magic in May, and it never seemed like we stood in line for too long anywhere nor did it really feel crowded.

Having said that, some of our best cruises have been on Fantasy class ships.

Fantasy class will always be my favorite. Older yes, but it's the perfect size and never feels crowded. No other Carnival ship design has deck features that extend far over the water (aft lido seating and stairs overhang the sides) or has lower balcony's (lower to water line than Cove balconies) and the Serenity deck is tranquil and in the perfect aft location overlooking the ships wake.

Edited by ATL_Miami_Cruiser

Have you notice in the ranking (Polls) of the newer ships how the cruise lines have failed tremendously in brining a good product to the front of the line. Maybe two exceptions to this rule would be Celebrity with the Solstice class and Holland America with Eurodam class.

Here a quick look on what I found on the net that should make the cruise line realize that not because you have big water slides or multiple paying dinning option makes it the best ship at sea. I think its time for them to goo back to the drawing board and listen to the clients.

Questions they should ask themselves like why do people cruise,what makes it a memorable voyage or do we need to go this big to make it better ?

Anyhow here some fun facts I tried to gather and will post on the other threads as well to be fair.

Carnival :

The spirit class ship is a big winner over the newer Breeze.

NCL :

Jewel,Pearl and Jade top winners over the Getaway and the not so favorite Breakaway and Escape.

Princess :

Big winners are the smallest one in the fleet Pacific and Ocean Princess followed by popular ones like Coral,Island,Diamond and Ruby Princess. Cruising last Regal and Royal.

RCCL :

The loved ones Serenade,Freedom and Mariner. The not so liked ones Anthem and Quantum. As for the Oasis and Allure for being the biggest ship in the world to me they are doing very good in RCCL top five ships.

Holland America :

The newer class such as the Eurodam is leading the way to a very good choice of ship for that line.

Celebrity :

Have scored the best of all the lines with the newer product sur as the Equinox and Eclipse (Solstice class).

Have fun commenting love this board

sea ya

Eric

While I can echo some of your thoughts, from the cruise line perspective, they get a much better (read that as much much much better) return from putting more people on ships than fewer. They offset this with adding new features (rooms, things to do, restaurants and bars).

I'm trying to decide which I like better, the Sunshine or the Breeze.

I've sailed the Spirit, and while it was okay, it doesn't usually come up as my favorite ship. The Freedom and Conquest would be two other ships that may come into play.

What makes a ship a favorite? The amenities, for sure. And some of the smaller ships just don't have them.

I have not yet been on any Carnival ship newer than Conquest class.

Since I cruise solo, and am price/budget driven, I choose my cruises by price, departure port and itinerary, as well as number of days.

Recently did a 5 day on Victory, and loved it. The ship did not feel old, or older to me. I also do not have many "must haves" on ships, like 2.0, guy burger, iguana etc. Just give me a price I can handle solo, put me on a ship going somewhere warm, with reasonable food, and I am good to go.:)

Not saying that I would not choose a newer ship, but for me, so far they are not price wise, accessible for me. I can wait though.:)