Anybody, from past experience, when does Viking issue flight e-ticket numbers?

$hip$hape

Usually my wife and I make travel arrangements on our own, but this time we are with a group of over 50 pax going on a Viking River Cruise in May, 2016, with flights thru Viking.

Since I'm 6 foot 2 inches, I would like to upgrade to Delta Economy Comfort seats for the overnight flight to CDG and there are only a limited amount of seats available.

So far we know, from the Viking web-site, we are flying from PIT(Pittsburgh) to CDG (Paris) on Delta and have the flight numbers/ information, but cannot upgrade our seats to “Economy Comfort” since we are not yet *ticketed.

When looking at the flights, Delta shows the back end of the plane , rows 30 and on back, as “unavailable' since our group obviously received the cheapest seats.

Viking says on their web-site that we should be ticketed AFTER 75 days.

I'd like to get a jump on this, as I feel that at least half of our group would like to upgrade to Economy Comfort.

With only limited seats available, do I have to check daily about 75 days to see if Viking has paid Delta and I have an E-ticket number?

* Today Viking says "Your journey begins in 86 days"

Viking has not yet paid Delta, even though WE paid Viking in-full for our cruise/air package almost a year in advance.

This is where a big issue comes in with cruise line-booked airfare. They tend to not actually BOOK the tickets until quite late, meaning things like seat assignments and extra legroom seats are long gone (especially during the high season). And at no point in time are you really Delta's customer...you're Viking's, meaning they control everything, including when they actually book you, and they often can change you around to other flights up until that point and there isn't diddly you can do.

I would actually call Viking, if you haven't already, and ask them. Especially with the high season, extra legroom seats go quick, and you might already be too late.

This is where a big issue comes in with cruise line-booked airfare. They tend to not actually BOOK the tickets until quite late, meaning things like seat assignments and extra legroom seats are long gone (especially during the high season). And at no point in time are you really Delta's customer...you're Viking's, meaning they control everything, including when they actually book you, and they often can change you around to other flights up until that point and there isn't diddly you can do.

I would actually call Viking, if you haven't already, and ask them. Especially with the high season, extra legroom seats go quick, and you might already be too late.

Thanks for the confirmation of my thoughts.:)

Viking says, since you booked with a Travel Agent, all questions should go thru your TA. TA says only, "Everybody will have a seat on the plane".:)

Dear $hip$hape,

While, as you read on our website, ticketing does begin as early as 75 days, it can occur any time between 75 days and 30 days prior to departure. We do, however, accept requests for early ticketing. Your comfort is important to us and, if you would like to initiate early ticketing to enable your purchase of Delta Economy Comfort seats, we would encourage you to have your Travel Agency discuss your request with our Air department.

$hip$hape, thank you for allowing us an opportunity to respond. We are looking forward to welcoming you and your group aboard soon!

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

Usually my wife and I make travel arrangements on our own, but this time we are with a group of over 50 pax going on a Viking River Cruise in May, 2016, with flights thru Viking.

Since I'm 6 foot 2 inches, I would like to upgrade to Delta Economy Comfort seats for the overnight flight to CDG and there are only a limited amount of seats available.

So far we know, from the Viking web-site, we are flying from PIT(Pittsburgh) to CDG (Paris) on Delta and have the flight numbers/ information, but cannot upgrade our seats to “Economy Comfort” since we are not yet *ticketed.

When looking at the flights, Delta shows the back end of the plane , rows 30 and on back, as “unavailable' since our group obviously received the cheapest seats.

Viking says on their web-site that we should be ticketed AFTER 75 days.

I'd like to get a jump on this, as I feel that at least half of our group would like to upgrade to Economy Comfort.

With only limited seats available, do I have to check daily about 75 days to see if Viking has paid Delta and I have an E-ticket number?

* Today Viking says "Your journey begins in 86 days"

Viking has not yet paid Delta, even though WE paid Viking in-full for our cruise/air package almost a year in advance.

We were on a Viking river cruise last August. I don't recall how far prior to the trip we got our documents (including the e-tickets for the air portion) but when we did, seat assignments were on it, and they were pretty good seats! I don't know if it makes a difference which airline you're flying on. We flew Iberia (we weren't offered a choice). I'm assuming you requested Delta?

Dear $hip$hape,

While, as you read on our website, ticketing does begin as early as 75 days, it can occur any time between 75 days and 30 days prior to departure.

We do, however, accept requests for early ticketing. Your comfort is important to us and, if you would like to initiate early ticketing to enable your purchase of Delta Economy Comfort seats, we would encourage you to have your Travel Agency discuss your request with our Air department.

$hip$hape, thank you for allowing us an opportunity to respond. We are looking forward to welcoming you and your group aboard soon!

Kind regards,

Viking Cruises

Thank YOU for responding !

My TA says “ticketing” will most likely be around 60 days out. Until then, we cannot upgrade.

She says the Viking Air Department does not do upgrades.

We are with a large group... TA says, “Everyone will have a seat on the plane”. :rolleyes:

NOTE FROM VIKING AIR DEPARTMENT:

As we approach your departure date, we are now preparing all of your travel details.

Therefore, we are now unable to make any changes to your air booking, including upgrading your flights.

Since I'm booked with a travel agent, I will not be receiving the E-mail notification when we are now “ticketed”.

Again, I'd like to get jump on booking Economy Comfort Seats and only asked, when does Viking normally release tickets?

Me thinks many in our group are going to be trying to upgraded.

So again I ask, with only limited Economy Comfort seats available, should I start checking at midnight, day 75?:):confused:

You need to know that some seats Viking (and other cruise air dept) use are bulk tickets and can NOT be upgraded. You need to find out what "Fare Class" your ticket is being issued in. So to clarify "some" tickets are upgradable and "some" are not..... Just beware and have that little nugget of info in your brain.

You need to know that some seats Viking (and other cruise air dept) use are bulk tickets and can NOT be upgraded. You need to find out what "Fare Class" your ticket is being issued in. So to clarify "some" tickets are upgradable and "some" are not..... Just beware and have that little nugget of info in your brain.

Thanks. That gives me something else to worry about.:)

I am a little confused by this thread. OP has a booking with Viking through a TA and purchased Cruise air. He/she wants the tickets issued, so they can purchase DL Economy Comfort seats while they are still available.

A Viking rep posts that a request for early ticket booking will be accepted, and OP needs to have their TA contact Viking.

Several more posts after that, including a suggestion to post on the Viking board (why?). Also, I'm not a DL flier, but do think if seats are available, any fare class is allowed to purchase E Comfort seats. It's not really an "upgrade".

OP, is there some reason you don't contact your TA and ask them to request your air tickets be issued now?

Edited by 6rugrats

Not sure why you didn't post this on the Viking Cruise Line Board.

Keith

I posted here, at Cruise Air, since I expected I could find an answer, knowing that there are a lot of experienced pax here,

but also knowing those with a disdain for Viking may reply.

Do you have a link to the CC Viking River Cruise Board?

Please excuse my ignorance; I could not find it.

Better yet, why don't you just answer my simple question;

From experience, when does Viking issue tickets?

I am a little confused by this thread. OP has a booking with Viking through a TA and purchased Cruise air. He/she wants the tickets issued, so they can purchase DL Economy Comfort seats while they are still available.

A Viking rep posts that a request for early ticket booking will be accepted, and OP needs to have their TA contact Viking.

Several more posts after that, including a suggestion to post on the Viking board (why?). Also, I'm not a DL flier, but do think if seats are available, any fare class is allowed to purchase E Comfort seats. It's not really an "upgrade".

OP, is there some reason you don't contact your TA and ask them to request your air tickets be issued now?

Viking is pleased to offer Premium Economy and Business Class air upgrades for an addition a cost.

NOTE from Viking: As we approach your departure date, we are now preparing all of your travel details.

Therefore, we are now unable to make any changes to your air booking, including upgrading your flights.

My TA says “ticketing” will most likely be around 60 days out. Until then, we cannot upgrade.

So, 6rugrats, do you have any experience with Viking e-ticket release?

I posted here, at Cruise Air, since I expected I could find an answer, knowing that there are a lot of experienced pax here,

but also knowing those with a disdain for Viking may reply.

Do you have a link to the CC Viking River Cruise Board?

Please excuse my ignorance; I could not find it.

Better yet, why don't you just answer my simple question;

From experience, when does Viking issue tickets?

It's because you will find more experienced Viking cruisers all in one place on the River Board.

Viking is pleased to offer Premium Economy and Business Class air upgrades for an addition a cost.

NOTE from Viking: As we approach your departure date, we are now preparing all of your travel details.

So, 6rugrats, do you have any experience with Viking e-ticket release?

You are not understanding what information you have been given. A Viking rep said they would issue your ticket early if your TA contacted them. If you have an issued ticket, you can go to DL's webpage and purchase Economy Comfort seats. It's not an upgrade to premium economy or business; it has nothing to do with Viking upgrades. You do it yourself directly with DL and you pay DL.

I have no experience at all with Viking, but that's not relevant to this thread. If a cruise line representative posted to a thread and told me my TA could contact Viking directly and get my ticket issued early, I would be contacting my TA to get this done, not posting to a chat board. What anyone may tell you on the Viking forum makes no difference; you've already received an answer directly from Viking. Why do you think posters here would have more information than a Viking employee?

Why aren't you calling your TA?

Perhaps it's not your intention, but you are coming off as rude to Keith1010.

You already have a discussion about this in another forum:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=49207421#post49207421

Edited by 6rugrats

Oh good grief! Get a 3 way conference call with Viking & TA then you will get your questions answered and not have them filtered by the TA.

Best advise! And River Cruise Air is so much different because there are much fewer tickets issued as opposed to Ocean Cruise air clients.

I'm quoting 6rugrats:

You are not understanding what information you have been given. A Viking rep said they would issue your ticket early if your TA contacted them. If you have an issued ticket, you can go to DL's webpage and purchase Economy Comfort seats. It's not an upgrade to premium economy or business; it has nothing to do with Viking upgrades. You do it yourself directly with DL and you pay DL.

To reiterate:

ECONOMY COMFORT IS NOT AN UPGRADE. It's just a better seat in coach. You, yourself, not Viking or any other cruise air department, pays for a better seat in COACH after you and Viking have paid for a ticket in COACH. After you INSTRUCT your TA to INSTRUCT Viking to issue your ticket in coach, then the ball is in your court to get the better seat in coach.

FYI, I am a Delta million miler and until recently, one of DL's diamond medallions. I do know exactly how Delta economy comfort works.

I'm quoting 6rugrats:

To reiterate:

ECONOMY COMFORT IS NOT AN UPGRADE. It's just a better seat in coach. You, yourself, not Viking or any other cruise air department, pays for a better seat in COACH after you and Viking have paid for a ticket in COACH. After you INSTRUCT your TA to INSTRUCT Viking to issue your ticket in coach, then the ball is in your court to get the better seat in coach.

FYI, I am a Delta million miler and until recently, one of DL's diamond medallions. I do know exactly how Delta economy comfort works.

My apologizes to you as a Delta Mile High Club member.

Being an infrequent flier, I assumed an “upgrade” was synonymous with “getting a better seat” in Delta Economy Comfort.

I seemed to be misguided as a Delta promotion advertised; “Upgrade to Economy Comfort for $99”.

Enjoy an upgraded experience with more of the perks you love in Delta Comfort+.

Take advantage of your time in the air with access to Sky Priority®*boarding,1*dedicated overhead bin space, extra legroom, superior snacks on longer flights, free drinks,2*and complimentary premium entertainment.

However, you seemed to have missed my original question;

Do you have any experience with Viking ticketing?

You need to take your question over to the River Cruise Board where there are dozens of "Experianced" Viking Air cruisers who have all the inside scoop! There have been many many threads about Viking Air and some extremely unhappy Viking Air customers.

The Cruise Air Forum is really not a good source of River Cruise air information.

And as to the $99 upgrade on Delta, if your air fare class allows that, then I better eat a year full of those Viking brochures they won't stop sending to my house.

Tell your TA you want your Airline locator # for ALL your flts, be pushy and force her to do a 3 way conference call with Viking. Do it now or you will find yourself sitting in the row next to the bathroom in seats that don't recline!

I lay this complete and utter failure at the feet of your TA who is getting a handsome fortune for booking 50 passengers with Viking. 3 way conference call and if this TA is close by i would stop by and sit at her desk and don't leave until you get what you want.... Prem Economy Seats!

This thread is like the blind leading the blind.

DL does NOT have premium economy.

OP has already the solution explained by at least three different people, including a Viking Rep., but instead of finalizing his ticket, he's having fun coming back repeating the same question.

I can't help anyone with such a severe lack of reading comprehension.

Edited by 6rugrats