Cheers Program Enhanced :)

kimnicki

Frozen fruity drinks are about $9 each, with a special each day for $1 off. Beers are about $6. Some think with the improvements to Cheers that prices might increase. You have to compare how much you would spend buying drinks one at a time vs. cheers for $50 per day.

Thanks. I understand. That's all well and fine for me but with two other people obligated to buy into a $400+ package, I just don't know. I'm a bit disappointed in this policy. I think it should be an individual basis and not holding others in your stateroom hostage to this expense if they're really not big drinkers. But, that's just my opinion.

Frozen fruity drinks are about $9 each, with a special each day for $1 off. Beers are about $6. Some think with the improvements to Cheers that prices might increase. You have to compare how much you would spend buying drinks one at a time vs. cheers for $50 per day.

Thank you. This is good information for me, since I am so new to this.

Does anyone know how much a specialty coffee drink is? I might possibly have a Starbucks addiction. I could conceivably see myself having one or two coffee drinks, plus perhaps a fruity/slushy alcoholic beverage each day.... and a soda.... Just trying to figure out if this is a good financial decision or not!

Does anyone know how much a specialty coffee drink is? I might possibly have a Starbucks addiction. I could conceivably see myself having one or two coffee drinks, plus perhaps a fruity/slushy alcoholic beverage each day.... and a soda.... Just trying to figure out if this is a good financial decision or not!

most of the specialty coffee drinks at the cafe on the promenade deck were between $3 and $5 when I was on the Liberty about 16 months ago.

Same here. I just made sure to print my emails just in case.

Thank you - I did print the email - I just thought I read somewhere that it would show in your documents as an onboard purchase - that was the only reason I was concerned - just didn't want to have a problem when I got onboard.

Obviously that person was incorrect - so all is good. Again thanks for the response.

Thanks. I understand. That's all well and fine for me but with two other people obligated to buy into a $400+ package, I just don't know. I'm a bit disappointed in this policy. I think it should be an individual basis and not holding others in your stateroom hostage to this expense if they're really not big drinkers. But, that's just my opinion.

The reason this is done is so that people do not buy one for a room and then share with their room mates (Even though we know that no one would do that). The recent program changes has brought the break even point from 6 or 7 drinks down to whatever you want it to be. Then break point was never 15 drinks a day. That is the maximum only. It now includes up to $50.00 per serving drinks rather than up to $10.00. This allows you to drink top shelf alcohol rather than the rail alcohol. If you have one of those really great top shelf single malt scotches. It could get your break even point to one or two drinks a day.

Other lines do allow it on an individual basis, but not Carnival. We have the same issue. I'll drink enough to make it worthwhile, but my wife won't. So, better overall for us to skip the Cheers package on the last cruise. Some days I had enough drinks to justify the cost of Cheers for me, but not enough to justify the cost of two Cheers. With the improvements, we will probably do this next cruise. For us, the money all comes from the same pocket, so the overall cost matters.

For you, though, each person is paying their own way. If the other two don't drink enough to justify the package, its cheaper for them to just buy individual drinks. You're stuck, though. If you are drinking enough to justify the package, you'll end up paying more buying individual drinks. Overall, the cabin comes out ahead, but you get the short end of the stick.

You might try to do the math for your entire cabin. If you are going to drink enough that you'll end up spending, for example, $200 more than the cost of the package (basically $400 per person for seven days), then you might come out ahead if you gave each of your cabin mates $100 or something toward the package.

Lots of folks don't like this policy, but it is Carnival's policy.

The answer is no, it wouldn't be worth it for you. A cocktail and a couple of coffees would be less than $20.

The sushi bars offer sake, so I was wondering if the sake is included with the cheers program? If anyone that is cruising soon could ask while on their cruise, that would be wonderful and I would greatly appreciate it! I don't cruise until December, so I have time.

Thanks guys!

Yep, I'm not too happy with this policy but it is what it is. I was told that they do allow you to each bring on board 2 bottles of wine. We will all make sure we do that.

One 750ml bottle per adult in your carry on. Don't bring two each. And don't pack it in checked luggage.

Sounds like we (wife and I) are like others that may be now considering the CHEERS! package for our upcoming cruise with these new changes, that have not considered it previously.

So this round of drink comment, we wondered...wife and I purchase CHEERS! as required...one of us heads up to a bar to grab a couple of drinks for just the 2 of us, would either of us need to bring both our S&S cards, or are they so strict that we'd both have to hit the bar and order individually?

Sounds sort of silly...but....

I many times used both cards at the same time. Not supposed to but most of the bartenders dont care

most of the specialty coffee drinks at the cafe on the promenade deck were between $3 and $5 when I was on the Liberty about 16 months ago.

The answer is no, it wouldn't be worth it for you. A cocktail and a couple of coffees would be less than $20.

Thank you! This definitely helps!

Was recently on two other cruiselines (Celebrity and NCL). Both of those lines basically allow all beverages in their programs (water, coffees, etc...) The kicker is that their non-program prices for drinks has gone sky high. A basic cocktail is now $11.95. Apparently they are moving in this direction to try and get everyone on the drink programs, ie.... if you have 4 drinks a day, then you save money by being on the program. The cruiselines are making a fortune on alcohol, so it is a big winner for them. If anyone of us drinks 15 drinks per day, Carnival probably has only about $10 to $15 of cost in total, but charges us $50. It seems like a great deal to us who drink a lot, but in reality Carnival is making a load of money. Expect the non-package drink prices on Carnival to go up soon, which will entice more people to buy Cheers.

Was recently on two other cruiselines (Celebrity and NCL). Both of those lines basically allow all beverages in their programs (water, coffees, etc...) The kicker is that their non-program prices for drinks has gone sky high. A basic cocktail is now $11.95. Apparently they are moving in this direction to try and get everyone on the drink programs, ie.... if you have 4 drinks a day, then you save money by being on the program. The cruiselines are making a fortune on alcohol, so it is a big winner for them. If anyone of us drinks 15 drinks per day, Carnival probably has only about $10 to $15 of cost in total, but charges us $50. It seems like a great deal to us who drink a lot, but in reality Carnival is making a load of money. Expect the non-package drink prices on Carnival to go up soon, which will entice more people to buy Cheers.

I've heard the non-package prices have gone up on Carnival but I'm not sure of how much. I think I heard some $.50 increases or something close. I'm trying to find that information, actually.

I said this to my DH when I saw the announcement that more was going to be included. Drink prices, alcoholic and non-alcoholic, are probably going to all go up. I saw on another thread that tomato juice is now a premium drink. I know it's all small increases but it does add more value to the Cheers! program which, at $50/day pp, is what they want to do. We went from being on the "no" side of buying Cheers! to now being on the fence for our next cruise. :rolleyes:

You can not buy a bucket with cheers. You can get wine with a discount.

This is incorrect. You can PURCHASE a bucket of beer and one of the beers in the bucket will count towards your 15 and the rest will be charged and normal rate to your account.

Ive done this multiple times on multiple ships with multiple bartenders/servers.

Are bottled beers included?

Website says cocktails, beer and wine by the glass...and when I called to ask CCL just repeat s what the website says...and hubby will only do bottles not draft

Yes, its any beer they offer. I like Corona's personally, so they pour it in the glass and give it to you so you arent carrying the bottle around.

I many times used both cards at the same time. Not supposed to but most of the bartenders dont care

I agree. I think it depends on the individual bartender honestly. Ive never been shutdown completely, but have had to point at my wife before so that they could see her. Then again, I have made friends with bartenders and took our whole group's s&s up to the bar and gotten 4 at a time.

Like life, varies on the person and how well they like you.

Edited by rocketship