Private excursion Juneau...time back to ship

kazda

Hi all

Doing a whale watch in Juneau with Orca Enterprises.

For those who read an earlier post of mine, turns out the email address I was sending to had a typo in it so they never received any of my emails, but I just got off the phone with Larry so all good.

Star Princess arrives in port 6am and now I have to decide whether to do either the 9am or 11.30am tour.

The 11.30 departure arrives back at 3pm and the Star Princess departs at 4pm.

Larry did suggest the 11.30 would be his preference as he knows where the whales are located from the earlier 9am tour, but we're just a bit hesisant on getting back to port with only 1 hour to spare, not taking into account a delay of some sorts....

Is the 11.30-3pm tour cutting it too close to 4pm departure as I'm not sure what time is 'all aboard' with Princess.

Thanks

Karen

Hi all

For those who read an earlier post of mine, turns out the email address I was sending to had a typo in it so they never received any of my emails, but I just got off the phone with Larry so all good.

Star Princess arrives in port 6am and now I have to decide whether to do either the 9am or 11.30am tour.

Larry did suggest the 11.30 would be his preference as he knows where the whales are located from the earlier 9am tour, but we're just a bit hesisant on getting back to port with only 1 hour to spare, not taking into account a delay of some sorts....

Is the 11.30-3pm tour cutting it too close to 4pm departure as I'm not sure what time is 'all aboard' with Princess.

Thanks

Karen

All aboard will probably be at 3:30.

I don't think you will have a problem with the 11:30 tour but I would go with the 9 am tour.

This will give you time to see Libby Riddles on the ship speak or walk around Juneau.

Thanks Coral

I didn't know about nor have I heard about Libby Riddles. Does she host a talk about Juneau while the ship is in port ???

Also hoping 'Budget Queen' can weigh in and offer her opinion about the 11.30 tour which arrives back to port at 3pm as BD always speaks highly of the Orca whale watching tours.

Thanks Coral

I didn't know about nor have I heard about Libby Riddles. Does she host a talk about Juneau while the ship is in port ???

Also hoping 'Budget Queen' can weigh in and offer her opinion about the 11.30 tour which arrives back to port at 3pm as BD always speaks highly of the Orca whale watching tours.

Libby Riddles is the first female to win the Iditarod. She comes on all Princess ships at the end of the day and does a presentation that appeals to all ages. If you can catch her presentation - she is worth seeing/meeting. Her book is also worth reading if you have interest in Iditarod.

I have gone several times with Orca Enterprises (not as many as BQ). I go with the time that best fits into my schedule. I have gone in the afternoon when they have said "it was far better in the morning" or vice versa. It is impossible to guess.

Good luck with whatever you decide. You won't have any problems catching the ship if you take the afternoon tour.

Edited by Coral

thanks Coral.

True when you say it can be better in morning or visa versa, impossible to tell.

Larry said he will know where to head to on the 11am tour as he will have some prior knowledge from the 9am tour of where the whales are.

Now I'm just guessing, but I'm thinking with all the different operators out on the water that it would be common 'knowledge' of where some whales are and the operators all head to the same spot regardless of whether a specific operator had an earlier tour or not ?

I know you are not going with Harv & Marv, but I can tell you from experience that they are constantly in communication with the various boats they have in their fleet when it comes to whale sightings. If you listen to the radio, you can pretty much hear all the whale chatter among the various vendors. It seems like if one boat spots a whale all the rest seem to head towards that direction.

Personally, I'd take the earlier time, as I don't like arriving back that close to departure time. Too many things can happen, especially when not booking with the ship, because it will not wait. It's not that I have any problem taking outside tours. We did so on both Alaska trips we've taken.

Having just done a whale watching tour in Juneau last summer, I wouldn't put too much stock in Larry saying he'll know where the whales are because he saw them earlier. The whales are just as likely to have moved in those 2 hours. Plus, as you said above, once one boat stops because something has been sighted, others tend to as well.

All that aside, you won't be disappointed regardless of which time you go out. Those waters are full of whales that time of year. Enjoy!

Edited by hapster85

All of the ships have radios and will usually broadcast when they spot whales. It's in all their best interests for everyone to see the whales so they help each other out spotting them. I'd choose the earlier tour also so you have a little time to wander around Juneau before you sail.

The Libby Riddles presentation is nice, she just updated it last year. She also now brings aboard one of her dogs with her :)

thanks Coral.

True when you say it can be better in morning or visa versa, impossible to tell.

Larry said he will know where to head to on the 11am tour as he will have some prior knowledge from the 9am tour of where the whales are.

Now I'm just guessing, but I'm thinking with all the different operators out on the water that it would be common 'knowledge' of where some whales are and the operators all head to the same spot regardless of whether a specific operator had an earlier tour or not ?

Sorry, your "common" knowledge thinking is faulty. This is a BIG area, with multiple areas the tour boats can go. They do NOT all go to the same places, and some vendor's actually have a policy of finding the nearest whale sightings, instead of basing on activity.

The first trip in the morning, is going out, more "blind" but, one trip around Shelter Island, is a very good chance of seeing humpbacks. Later trips can be more selective, on individual whales, and their behaviors. I've gone on trips, where Larry had seen orcas on a prior trip, and knew average speeds and what direction they were heading. His boat is faster than many of the operators, guess what, yep, we found those orcas, and no other boats were there. -too far down the Lynn Canal.

I have been in many areas where we've been the only boat, as Orca Enterprises is more the "explorer", perhaps. :) :)

Hi all

Thanks

Karen

ALWAYS- with independent vendors- fully disclose your ship and port time (which I assume you have done), and go with the vendor's scheduling recommendation.

They know what they are doing. You can have high expectations of getting back to the ship on time.

Sorry, your "common" knowledge thinking is faulty. This is a BIG area, with multiple areas the tour boats can go. They do NOT all go to the same places, and some vendor's actually have a policy of finding the nearest whale sightings, instead of basing on activity.

The first trip in the morning, is going out, more "blind" but, one trip around Shelter Island, is a very good chance of seeing humpbacks. Later trips can be more selective, on individual whales, and their behaviors. I've gone on trips, where Larry had seen orcas on a prior trip, and knew average speeds and what direction they were heading. His boat is faster than many of the operators, guess what, yep, we found those orcas, and no other boats were there. -too far down the Lynn Canal.

I have been in many areas where we've been the only boat, as Orca Enterprises is more the "explorer", perhaps. :) :)

Thanks Budget Queen, I was hoping you were around to offer your knowledge about this.

I haven't submitted our reservation form to Larry yet but was going to do it in a few days. When I spoke with him and I said we were on the Star Princess he immediately said the time the ship arrives and also departs.

After your response I'm now doing a rethink and considering the 11.30 tour.

As this tour arrives back to port at 3pm, do you know what time is usually 'all aboard' because if we book the 11.30-3pm it would be good to know how fine the time we will be when we arrive back to port to ship departing.

Thanks Budget Queen, I was hoping you were around to offer your knowledge about this.

I haven't submitted our reservation form to Larry yet but was going to do it in a few days. When I spoke with him and I said we were on the Star Princess he immediately said the time the ship arrives and also departs.

After your response I'm now doing a rethink and considering the 11.30 tour.

As this tour arrives back to port at 3pm, do you know what time is usually 'all aboard' because if we book the 11.30-3pm it would be good to know how fine the time we will be when we arrive back to port to ship departing.

30 minutes prior to the posted departure time. Orca Enterprises has also shuttled back right to the cruise ships. (Princess sometimes uses the South Franklin Dock)

30 minutes prior to the posted departure time. Orca Enterprises has also shuttled back right to the cruise ships. (Princess sometimes uses the South Franklin Dock)

Thanks BQ

To confirm, So Orca Ent will drop us directly back to the ship by their shuttle ?

And the 3pm tour finish time is the time back to the ship ?

Thanks BQ

To confirm, So Orca Ent will drop us directly back to the ship by their shuttle ?

And the 3pm tour finish time is the time back to the ship ?

The 3:00 pm tour finish time is probably the time the van gets back to where they start (near Mount Roberts Tram). You would probably be dropped off at the ship 5 minutes later.

You must be all aboard the ship at 3:30.

I personally would go with the earlier time. I like listening to Libby Riddles speak on the ship. Just my opinion. You will have no problems making the ship with the later time. Honestly - go with what works best with your schedule. You will see whales either time. I am not convinced that later is better or earlier is better, it is all up to what the whales want to do that day - I have been on afternoon excursions when they said the morning sightings were better. It is just the luck of the draw.

Edited by Coral

Thanks Coral!

I know things can change with the presentations. But I am going to assume that Libby Riddles will speak onboard the Coral. We also have an early 4:00 departure. Does she usually speak in the afternoon and then leave the ship just before it departs?

I think our Whale Watching Tour (with a different operator) will get us back to the docks mid-afternoon, maybe a couple of hours before departure. (but not really enough time to really spend at Mendenhall)

Edited by Wishing on a star