Correct Pronunciation

slimknyzer

dictionary.com says Zuider Zee is pronounced Z-eye-der Zay, so I would say Z-eye-derdam. The Dutch pronounce it a little differently, but definitely not Zooderdam!

edit: see THIS THREAD where a couple of native Dutch speakers give comments.

Edited by jtl513

dictionary.com says Zuider Zee is pronounced Z-eye-der Zay, so I would say Z-eye-derdam. The Dutch pronounce it a little differently, but definitely not Zooderdam!

One of my Grandmothers was Dutch, I'd say close but it needs a w thrown in z-why-der-dam

Yes,.

Thank you I suspected following the way Grandma said things would be close, and with a name Like Praeger and coming from Amsterdam, though moving back and forth to Ireland and Leipzig they may have some idea.

edit: see THIS THREAD where a couple of native Dutch speakers give comments.

Z-eye-derdam comes closest.......but I guess only the Dutch know how to pronounce it correctly;)

Z-eye-derdam comes closest.......but I guess only the Dutch know how to pronounce it correctly;)

Close, but not correct. In english there is no equivalent word that mimics the expression "ui". You will have to hear it a dutch person saying it to know how to pronounce it.

Also the "dam" part is not pronounced as damn or spam, but as in calm.

There actually is a pronounced elongation of the "oo" sound in Oosterdam, much more so than there would be in English.

Don't count on the cruise director to get the Dutch pronunciations correct. You may very well hear a butchered pronunciation over the loudspeakers for the entire cruise. We certainly have. For example, Veendam should be pronounced fayn-dam. We heard veen-dam all week.

igraf

...On that topic the Oosterdam is Ohsterdam not ooooosterdam. That is so annoying when pax say oooooo. :)

It actually almost rhymes with chowder dam with a very strong emphasis on the initial Z sound.

Here is a good reference if I can post a link: http://www.heardutchhere.net/DutchPronunciation.html.

If not, just google "DutchPronunciation.htm".

igraf

Is the MS Zuiderdam pronounced "ZOO"DERDAM, or, Z"EYE"DERDAM. Just curious...Thanks!
Edited by igraf

Sounds more like zowderdahm to me, with the ow almost like the ou in out (and not the Canadian out). My guess is that very few non-natives will ever be able to pronounce it correctly.

I'm puzzled. What is "the Canadian out"? :confused:

Copper 10-8 is Dutch Speaking & also a crew member on HAL..Host Walt posted this in 2006:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=6708448&postcount=13

Here's Copper10-8's pronunciation guide from that link...

... the Dutch have accents and even dialects depending on what part of the country they're from so you might get a different pronounciation from someone from the province of Friesland (the far north), Amsterdam in the province of Noord Holland in the west and/or the southern provinces of Brabant and Limburg. Even the inhabitants of the three big cities of Amsterdam, Rotterdam and Den Haag (the Hague) have their own accents.

Prinsendam "Princen-dam" as in "Prince"

Statendam "St-ah-ten-dam" as in "say Aah"

Maasdam "Maahs-dam" as in "say Ahh"

Ryndam "Rhine-dam"

Veendam "Veyn-dam" as in "hey"

Rotterdam "Rott-ehr-dam" as in Rotweiler

Amsterdam "Ahm-ster-dam"

Volendam "Vohl-en-dam" as in "Foal"

Zaandam "Zahn-dam" as in "say Aah"

Zuiderdam "Zey-der-dam"

Oosterdam "Oasterdam" as in Toast but drop the "T"

Westerdam "West-ehr-dam"

Noordam "Nor-dam" as in More

Unquote

Edited by serendipity1499

There have been several threads on how to pronounce the ship names, but all concentrating on the first syllables. When I asked a fellow passenger who was Dutch, the first correction I got was that none of them end in "damn" -- it is more like "dom", with the "o" a cross between 'don' and 'dumb'.