Drying clothes in the shower?

jeno

Never been on Celebrity but will be next year. If you send your laundry out, can you add a note to the ticket requesting they use cold water and low heat? We've done that on HAL and it works great.

Agree about rolling stuff in towels. Then we put them on hangers like Cancruz described. If we have a balcony, we put the hangars outside if there is sun, that helps a lot. But you do have to be careful that any wind doesn't take them away!! We use the patio door hinges and chair backs for hangers.

ML

They use the huge commercial washers/dryers on Celebrity. One temperature no choice. No small washers that could have different temperatures

A week's worth of clothing will cost you a lot more than $10-$20 to send to the laundry, but my problem isn't with the cost, it's with the quality of the laundry service. I've had pants returned that would have made me look like Steve Urkel had I worn them!
If that happens, all you need to do is pick up the telephone, call housekeeping and show the pants to the head housekeeper for your area (or whatever that position is currently called).

That happened to us a couple of times on different cruises, and each time the housekeeper just took one look at the pants, immediately took them away to be pressed properly, and returned to us at no additional charge.

For the most part, we find that the Celebrity laundry service does a great job, with the exception being the occasional problem with the ironing of the pants.

Edited by fleckle

I agree with not wanting to send my delicates, special tops or jeans with the free laundry. My hand-washing routine: use a flat rubber sink stopper since the sink stopper usually drains the water within a few minutes, use ALL concentrated detergent (need less per soaking), roll items inside out in a towel to avoid towel lint on dark items, hang on thin vinyl coated hangers with plastic clothespins (pins on shoulders prevent hanger bumps) and spray with Downy wrinkle releaser after dry.

If that happens, all you need to do is pick up the telephone, call housekeeping and show the pants to the head housekeeper for your area (or whatever that position is currently called).

That happened to us a couple of times on different cruises, and each time the housekeeper just took one look at the pants, immediately took them away to be pressed properly, and returned to us at no additional charge.

For the most part, we find that the Celebrity laundry service does a great job, with the exception being the occasional problem with the ironing of the pants.

The issue is shrinkage, not wrinkles! The TV character I cited had pants that were always 6" too short. :) As others have pointed out here and in other threads, everything is washed and dried at a HOT setting.

I agree with not wanting to send my delicates, special tops or jeans with the free laundry. My hand-washing routine: use a flat rubber sink stopper since the sink stopper usually drains the water within a few minutes, use ALL concentrated detergent (need less per soaking), roll items inside out in a towel to avoid towel lint on dark items, hang on thin vinyl coated hangers with plastic clothespins (pins on shoulders prevent hanger bumps) and spray with Downy wrinkle releaser after dry.

Be careful with Downey Wrinke Release. I used it on my husband's dress shirt and it left rings where I had sprayed it. :(

PRECISELY why you should do this AFTER turndown service. It is even risky to put the rolled towel(s) in the closet.

Our friend was in a hotel, not a cruise ship. We always wash clothes before turn down service so we have dry towels provided for the next morning. We don't leave clothes irolled n the towels though.

All of the showers on cruise ship I have been have clothes line in them (NCL, RCL, MSC, etc) the lines are really high up , a cord will be able to pulled out of the wall and opposite there's a little hook thing that the cord slides in to...
All of the OLDER cruise ships I've been on had the lines you described. Unfortunately to save $0.07:rolleyes: RCI eliminated lines:mad: with O-class ships and Celebrity eliminated lines commencing with S-class.

I use roll-in-towel and then attach to provided hangers with clips. I often find the room air dry at night (I'm sure the dehumidifiers work hard to remove water from the usually quite humid exterior air), and have discovered I sleep with the higher humidity from laundry drying. I've gotten to the point that if there is no drying laundry I will wet a hand towel and hang that in the cabin. YMMV

People will spend thousands of dollars on a cruise but won't spend $10 or $20 to have their clothes laundered...
We are E+, so between us get 4 (four) bags of laundry free. We do send somethings to the laundry, but there are still things we prefer to not send to the industrial strength laundry even though some people insist on trying to shame me into doing so.

Thom

ABSOLUTELY!!!! I take good care of my clothes, and wouldn't dream of sending them to the Celebrity laundry.

Not even if it was FREE.... Not everything that is free is worth it. My opinion.

Being a pessimist there is always the possibility that laundry can go missing

I agree with many about the laundry service on ships. We get free laundry, but zi don't want my clothes dried in industrial dryers set on HOT. I've been using a Scrubba wash bag and have been happy with the results. I used to wash stuff out in the sink, but I didn't liked pruned hands. I use the scrubba bag with soap sheets or woolite packets. Once you get the hang of it, it's a pretty simple process. There are youtube videos demonstrating the bag.

http://www.amazon.com/Scrubba-Portable-Laundry-System-Wash/dp/B00BUI7HFC/ref=sr_1_1?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1457333610&sr=1-1&keywords=scrubba

http://www.amazon.com/Travelon-Laundry-Soap-Sheets-50-Count/dp/B000Y0CL8K/ref=sr_1_1_s_it?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1457333694&sr=1-1&keywords=travelon+laundry+soap+sheets

If I plan to wash some things, I grab a couple pool towels on the way back from the gym.

Before going to bed, I wash the clothes in the bag per instructions. (You can actually squeeze most of the water out of the clothes while they're still in the scrubba bag, just turn it upside down to drain the water as you squeeze.) Then roll the wet clothes in a towel. I usually step on the rolled towel to help the process along.

I think woolite works better than the soap sheets, but they need to go in your

3-1-1 bag for flights if you're carrying on.

I've found the Lewis-N-Clark clothesline with the velcro loops on each end to be quite useful. I've had no luck using the attached suction cups.

http://www.amazon.com/Lewis-N-Clark-Clothesline-Size/dp/B003MU9JZC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1457333491&sr=8-1&keywords=lewis+and+clark+travel+clothes+line

It's fairly easy to rig a couple lines in a bathroom, usually in the shower. I've also taken button down travel shirts, buttoned them around a chair on our balcony, securing the wrist cuffs around the arms of the chair. Everything is always dry by morning.

The scrubba bag also doubles as a dry bag inside my backpack for excursions. They apparently have a new version with pack straps so you can use it as a day bag.