New cancellation policy

75 days was already ridiculous. 3 months is on the verge of insanity. There are probably a ton of business reasons to do this that = more money in their pockets. But, pretty soon we're going to be at the point of the entire cruise cost due at booking regardless of how far out the sailing is with price drops no longer being honored at any point.

Not sure I understand the wording of the announcement

"We're pleased to share an update to our booking cancellation policy, which will make your bookings easier to manage and encourage clients to finalize their bookings earlier........"

Thanks for this. I would assume that final payment date is being advanced by 15 days too.

They are still showing final payment at 75 days for 7 night cruises and 60 days for shorter cruises. I have not seen that updated.

NCL does this. I know that the penalty period for Haven suites begins well before the final is due. Not sure about the other categories because we have only booked the Haven recently.

Not sure I understand the wording of the announcement

"We're pleased to share an update to our booking cancellation policy, which will make your bookings easier to manage and encourage clients to finalize their bookings earlier........"

Sounds like it is directed at TAs.

75 days was already ridiculous. 3 months is on the verge of insanity. There are probably a ton of business reasons to do this that = more money in their pockets. But, pretty soon we're going to be at the point of the entire cruise cost due at booking regardless of how far out the sailing is with price drops no longer being honored at any point.

Well, we already have to do that with airline tickets. Want to fly to Europe? Then pony up $1500-1700 when you buy the ticket and most airline tickets that people buy are totally non-refundable.

They are still showing final payment at 75 days for 7 night cruises and 60 days for shorter cruises. I have not seen that updated.

NCL does this. I know that the penalty period for Haven suites begins well before the final is due. Not sure about the other categories because we have only booked the Haven recently.

Well, I guess it would encourage people to cancel sooner if they are unsure.

Well, we already have to do that with airline tickets. Want to fly to Europe? Then pony up $1500-1700 when you buy the ticket and most airline tickets that people buy are totally non-refundable.

I get that. There's many reasons why cruising is great. How the payment process works has been one of them. Like many benefits, we are seeing some go away while new ones are being provided (like bigger ships with more amenities). I guess you can't have everything you want in a vacation. Just have to pick which ones give the most pros with the least cons or the most pros for the value.

Edited by lv2bcruzin

Commissions are commonly distributed after the vacation is complete. Not after final payment.

Not true. Commissions are generally distributed about 15 days after final payment except in the case of a group booking. Then commissions are distributed after the cruise. :) I know from experience.

Commissions are commonly distributed after the vacation is complete. Not after final payment.

Not correct.

Thanks Nancy, I didn't see your reply before I posted.

Edited by TheMiz

Not correct.

Thanks Nancy, I didn't see your reply before I posted.

Ok. For my travel agency I am paid after the cruise is complete and so are many of my colleagues at other agencies. Hence "commonly" is noted and not "always". Perhaps it's just common in my world.

Edited by lv2bcruzin

Seems to me you just stated the refund policy of a non-refundable airline ticket. Maybe the cruise lines should go to this approach. Offer a non-refundable price and a higher refundable price, just like the airlines.

Seems to me you just stated the refund policy of a non-refundable airline ticket. Maybe the cruise lines should go to this approach. Offer a non-refundable price and a higher refundable price, just like the airlines.

Carnival basically does this with their Early Saver rates. Although, it really only affects the deposit (and they will usually allow you to apply deposit to another sailing minus a fee of $75).

Ok. For my travel agency I am paid after the cruise is complete and so are many of my colleagues at other agencies. Hence "commonly" is noted and not "always". Perhaps it's just common in my world.

Interesting. I guess each travel agency has different policies. :confused::)

Interesting. I guess each travel agency has different policies. :confused::)

It does appear to be that way , this was the first I have ever seen that.

Not sure why they need to hold the commission until after the cruise.