New cancellation policy

Commissions are not paid until after the cruise. Even if you have paid in full before the cruise there is still the possibility of the cruise being cancelled before the ship sets sail.

The cruise line isn't going to pay a commission ahead of time until they're assured of getting paid themselves.

I guess I am one of the very lucky ones then.

Commissions are not paid until after the cruise. Even if you have paid in full before the cruise there is still the possibility of the cruise being cancelled before the ship sets sail.

The cruise line isn't going to pay a commission ahead of time until they're assured of getting paid themselves.

That is incorrect. Royal Caribbean pays commission out once final payment is made. It is then left up to the travel agencies as to when they want pay their individual agents. they do this in case of commission recalls (i.e. price adjustments and/or cancellations.)

I have still seen a lot of discounting after final payment date, mostly in the form of senior and military rates that were not put out until after final payment had passed.

I'm looking at my Vision TA in April and prices have not moved in weeks :eek:

This policy makes it a bit more attractive to those that like to wait until after final payment for price drops. You now have a longer window in which to watch for price drops and book.

I don't think having to price watch for an additional couple three weeks is a benefit. With a shorter window they have to make decisions about pricing quicker. Now they are going to reduce prices in dribs and drabs.

Sorry, but you are totally off base on this one.

I was a TA for 20 years and still maintain a relationship with the agency I used to work for.

Perhaps if one is an outside agent for an agency then the agency holds the commission until after the sail date. Rest assured the agency gets paid upon final payment. If the person cancels outside of the 100% penalty period the agency has to return the commission to the cruise line. Within the 100% penalty period, and they get to keep it.

Have you seen that Hilton is testing a $50.00 cancellation fee on hotel rooms? Seems like it is coming from all sides now.

Hotwire and Priceline and most airline tickets have a 100% cancellation fee.

does anybody know if this will effect Celebrity and Azamara ? Or just strictly RCI?

According to the future cruise rep on Celebrity Reflection, the new 90 day cancellation/final payment policy is exclusively Royal Caribbean's. Celebrity has not changed their policy.

• 6 months later...
Has anyone booked recently had something other than 90 days out final payment date?

For the 12/12 Serenade sailing, both the Royal web site when booking online and my TA insist the final payment date is 9/28 (which is 75 days).

We've had 75 day final payment dates for a Majesty 3/4 day cruises.

2018 Pricing for RCI

699 per person for a 7 day Caribbean Inside Room (must be paid in full no refunds)

799 per person for a 7 day Caribbean Inside Room (50% deposit final due 90 days out)

899 per person for a 7 day Caribbean Inside Room (25% deposit final due 60 days out)

999 per person for a 7 day Caribbean Inside (100$ deposit per person final due 30 days out)

1999 per person for a 7 day Caribbean Inside (no deposit final 30 days out fully transferable to another cruise not refundable)

For the sale pricing... just double the prices above and give half off the second person.

:)

-Sean

Has anyone booked recently had something other than 90 days out final payment date?

For the 12/12 Serenade sailing, both the Royal web site when booking online and my TA insist the final payment date is 9/28 (which is 75 days).

I had one... Not worried about it though, was actually due today for Nov. Booked it 2 weeks ago

Have you seen that Hilton is testing a $50.00 cancellation fee on hotel rooms? Seems like it is coming from all sides now.

Just spent 23 days in different Hilton properties (from Embassy Suites, Hilton, Doubletree & Hampton Inns). No cancellation fee on any of them. Now if you don't cancel by 6pm day of arrival (unless otherwise stated, like resort areas) you are liable for full night stay (it's been that way for years). I booked each room on Hilton.com on my cellphone while on the road & did change several hotels along the way

^^ I should have clarified - any booking for a sailing that would normally fall under the 90 day final payment window (5 days or longer) under the rules outlined in the OP.

I have a booking that was made before the rules changed in March. I changed it from a 7 day cruise to a 5 day cruise AFTER March. I thought the final payment date would be either 60 days (Old rules) or 90 days (New rules).

Final payment is at 75 days now:confused:

Just spent 23 days in different Hilton properties (from Embassy Suites, Hilton, Doubletree & Hampton Inns). No cancellation fee on any of them. Now if you don't cancel by 6pm day of arrival (unless otherwise stated, like resort areas) you are liable for full night stay (it's been that way for years). I booked each room on Hilton.com on my cellphone while on the road & did change several hotels along the way

The cancellation fee applied only to a few hotels during a test period between November 2015 and February 2016. It also did not apply to HHonors members. It was a limited time trial and I haven't seen any information that they will be reinstating it.

So, it seems to vary whether the 90 day rule is used. The main issue here is price drops - will they be honored between 90 and 75 days?

Or between 60 - 75 days if the original booking date is before March 2016. I would assume I am eligible for price drops up until 75 days if that is the final payment date on the invoice at the least. If your final payment date on the invoice is 75 days you should get price drops between 75 - 90 days out.

Edited by molly361

Or between 60 - 75 days if the original booking date is before March 2016. I would assume I am eligible for price drops up until 75 days if that is the final payment date on the invoice at the least. If your final payment date on the invoice is 75 days you should get price drops between 75 - 90 days out.

Actually, after thinking about it, a price drop is not the most important thing, cancellation is. If RCI says via its web site, invoice and the TA that final payment is 75 days, but the internal system that actually processes payments still expects it at 90 days, it may cancel the booking!!!!

A very generous 90 days new cancellation fee (-policy) for US.

All over in Europe (Australia?) we are required a 10% down payment immediately at time of booking and the down payment is non-refundable when cancelling.

Very simple way of getting around that - book with a US TA under US booking rules.;)