Use of Wheelchair

My entire family will be cruising on the Liberty in May. My mother has walking issues and could need a wheelchair when we are going around the ship. Does anyone know if the ship provides wheelchairs or do we need to bring one? Thanks for any information.

The ship will not provide a wheel chair for a guest to use the entire cruise.

I'd check with some of the companies that rent equipment:

http://www.carevacations.com

http://www.specialneedsatsea.com

My entire family will be cruising on the Liberty in May. My mother has walking issues and could need a wheelchair when we are going around the ship. Does anyone know if the ship provides wheelchairs or do we need to bring one? Thanks for any information.

In our experience, the ship will provide a wheelchair. I don't know if there is a cost. The wheelchair provided is one that needs to be pushed.

One member of our group who had similar concerns managed to acquire a wheelchair by asking at guest services. The wheelchair which can be folded was delivered to our cabin. In practice the wheelchair was not used but it was good to know that it was available.

I also have mobility issues but manage to get around by walking slowly and plenty of rests. I prefer this to having someone push me around in a wheelchair. On balance, causes fewer problems for me so wheelchair would be a last resort.

lovestogarden, the wheelchairs on board are for emergency use only, you will need to provide a chair for your mother's use. (Wheelchair assistance can be requested for just embarkation and debarkation). You would want to bring her own chair to use during the cruise and in the ports, or rent one from http://www.carevacations.com/products/wheelchairs/ or http://www.specialneedsatsea.com/reserve-equipment/wheelchair-rentals/. The rented chair would be waiting in her cabin, and she would leave it there after the cruise. :)

In our experience, the ship will provide a wheelchair. I don't know if there is a cost. The wheelchair provided is one that needs to be pushed.

I think you were fortunate to have the ship provide a wheelchair for the entire cruise.

I know they keep some wheelchairs on board, but these are generally used at embarkation, disembarkation, and emergencies on board.

We were prepping for a B2B out of Galveston on Navigator in 2014. We looked at wheelchair rental. For two weeks the cost was over $150. We ended up buying a wheelchair and now use it every time. Buying was cheaper than renting for two weeks.

I think you were fortunate to have the ship provide a wheelchair for the entire cruise.

I know they keep some wheelchairs on board, but these are generally used at embarkation, disembarkation, and emergencies on board.

I don't have full details as it was a member of our group who really wanted one. She went to guest services straight after embarkation, signed for it and one magically appeared in our cabin. As you say, we might have been just lucky (or not as nobody in our group was that keen to push her around the ship.) :)

BTW. I don't know whether there was a charge.

Edited by yuvraj

The ship only provides a wheelchair for boarding or disembarking on the last day....If you need on throughout the cruise, you need to bring your own, or rent one from a company that services the ship. It's an independent company, not the cruise line.

you need to provide your own. the WC on board are ONLY for embarking and disembarking and are NOT for use on board the ship.

One member of our group who had similar concerns managed to acquire a wheelchair by asking at guest services. The wheelchair which can be folded was delivered to our cabin. In practice the wheelchair was not used but it was good to know that it was available.

I also have mobility issues but manage to get around by walking slowly and plenty of rests. I prefer this to having someone push me around in a wheelchair. On balance, causes fewer problems for me so wheelchair would be a last resort.

not so. esp on LIB. we met a couple who were pinnacle and in a suite and still had to fight tooth and nail to get a WC and they would NOT waive the $20 a day fee. and the actual chair was in very poor condition. the chairs used for boarding and for leaving at the end are actually stored at the port.

I say bring your own chair. We've used our own folding manual wheelchair many times. These fit OK in a standard cabin, folded up. I would not rely on the ship's wheelchair. The ship has some for emergency use -- sometimes a passenger breaks a leg or foot bone during the cruise and need a chair. But if you know in advance, I think you should bring your own. You might check on buying a used one from a mobility store. That way you'd have the chair for the drive/flight down should you need it. Oh, when using the chair on the ship, watch out for the small metal humps on the floor -- these can stop a wheelchair quickly.

Edited by Jimnbigd

Speaking from experience..... (we cruised twice with a wheelchair user) we'd suggest you arrange renting a manual or power wheelchair and address your mobility limitations and requirements with RCI's Special Needs Department prior to your cruise date.

Also, and if you wish to go ashore please remember.... , pushing a manual wheelchair may prove to be quite difficult in some ports.

Edited by oldguysandgalls

not so. esp on LIB. we met a couple who were pinnacle and in a suite and still had to fight tooth and nail to get a WC and they would NOT waive the $20 a day fee. and the actual chair was in very poor condition. the chairs used for boarding and for leaving at the end are actually stored at the port.

What $20/day fee? The cruise line does not rent wheelchairs.

My DW rented a wheelchair, bed rails and a shower chair for the handicapped room for her mother. All were there when we boarded and we left everything when we left. Didn't think the price was too outrageous. The staff were awesome as they cleared chairs and tables away to help her get to it in the MDR. Always had a great experience with their staff and the disabled.

What $20/day fee? The cruise line does not rent wheelchairs.

they were charged a fee to use the ones set aside for emergency use. it was a three day long debacle and the Concierge got involved. all he was able do was get permission for them to use it on board but was not able to talk then out of charging the fee.

I don't have full details as it was a member of our group who really wanted one. She went to guest services straight after embarkation, signed for it and one magically appeared in our cabin. As you say, we might have been just lucky (or not as nobody in our group was that keen to push her around the ship.) :)

BTW. I don't know whether there was a charge.

They were more than lucky. This is not the normal practice. It would be wrong for the OP to think this is the usual!!!