Children and Diapers on Getaway (sigh)

mengel246

We are going on our first cruise in early April with our two children, 5 and 3. I'm trying to get my three year old son out of diapers before this trip, but he is struggling hardcore. If we weren't going away I would give up and come back in a few months but because of this trip I'm sticking to it.

I did a quick google search but didn't see an answer come up about the kids area. If a kid is still in swim diapers are they allowed to go near the water area? And if not, what else do you do during the day with them, especially with a BFF slightly older sibling that is able to do things like this?

Second kids are completely different than the first.. oy.

Which is why I don't go in the pools.

Disgusting.

I completely agree. I was so ticked off when I saw this. I didn't go back in the pool after that and I was quite loud with voicing my opinion of how disgusting it was. That's a regular diaper, not even a swim diaper. It's completely filled with who knows what, and the parents didn't even put a bathing suit over it.

20160114_124545_zpswkeuomfe.jpg

I completely agree. I was so ticked off when I saw this. I didn't go back in the pool after that and I was quite loud with voicing my opinion of how disgusting it was. That's a regular diaper, not even a swim diaper. It's completely filled with who knows what, and the parents didn't even put a bathing suit over it.

That's the biggest baby I've ever seen.

We are going on our first cruise in early April with our two children, 5 and 3. I'm trying to get my three year old son out of diapers before this trip, but he is struggling hardcore. If we weren't going away I would give up and come back in a few months but because of this trip I'm sticking to it.

I did a quick google search but didn't see an answer come up about the kids area. If a kid is still in swim diapers are they allowed to go near the water area? And if not, what else do you do during the day with them, especially with a BFF slightly older sibling that is able to do things like this?

GROSS. Even thinking of allowing anyone in diapers in a public swimming area is nasty. Would YOU get into a poll after a kid wearing a diaper? Being in a diaper 199% indicates that the person has no control over "that" and there is no such thing as a safe amount of "that" in pubic water. It is extremely inconsiderate for someone even to considerate doing this!

GROSS. Even thinking of allowing anyone in diapers in a public swimming area is nasty. Would YOU get into a poll after a kid wearing a diaper? Being in a diaper 199% indicates that the person has no control over "that" and there is no such thing as a safe amount of "that" in pubic water. It is extremely inconsiderate for someone even to considerate doing this!

You've characterized this water VERY well indeed.

We were on the Getaway and I saw plenty of babies/toddlers in little swimmers in the pool, it didn't seem like it was an issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

1) How is that a question?

2) Believe me it was an issue. The crew many not have bothered with enforcing things but it WAS an issue! :eek:

Tough call - it is not a petty or pretty matter.

In so much as the pools are chlorinated small urine accidents are overblown.

I have worked in an athletic club and serviced the pools jacuzzis and hot tubs

urine accidents while seemly disgusting do not warrant shutting down a

facility that is what the chlorine treatment is for - some cruise lines empty

the pool waters daily (nightly) and refill to specs suggested that if a kid had

done something that concerns you in a pool leave and come back the next day.

The chlorine does it work in the fresh water pools & hot tubs - the sea water

pools are drained and filled nightly and kids don't belong in them anyway.

Heck there are adults inebriated and as such that have manners that are

much worse and know better.

Number two is a matter of prime urgency and parents should be alert for that

no matter what their young one is wearing approved or not.

Remove from the pool immediately and matters attended to.

If noticeable residue alert the appropriate personnel to service the pool.

One very important cavet !

DO NOT EVER EVEN THINK ABOUT FLUSHING A DIAPER OR OTHER RELATED ITEM DOWN THE SHIPS TOILET !

It most certainly will jam the vacuum sanitation system and the maintenance

people will come looking for you with intent to have you walk the plank !

When this is done a whole section of the toilets on that line have to be shut

down and roto-rootered to unblock the jam. After the maintenance folks have

had a talk with you your cabin neighbors may have something to add. Oh and

airing out the pipes in the process is an oh so pleasant experience best you

not be at the scene of the crime.

But realize that accidents happen - be on alert to prevent matters made worse !

They can go near the water area but not actually in the water. I recommend:

kids-and-duct-tape_1-jpg.jpg

I am not above this style of parenting... my threats have become empty with this boy on not being able to do anything fun on the big ship unless he's out of his diapers

Tough call - it is not a petty or pretty matter.

In so much as the pools are chlorinated small urine accidents are overblown.

I have worked in an athletic club and serviced the pools jacuzzis and hot tubs

urine accidents while seemly disgusting do not warrant shutting down a

facility that is what the chlorine treatment is for - some cruise lines empty

the pool waters daily (nightly) and refill to specs suggested that if a kid had

done something that concerns you in a pool leave and come back the next day.

The chlorine does it work in the fresh water pools & hot tubs - the sea water

pools are drained and filled nightly and kids don't belong in them anyway.

Heck there are adults inebriated and as such that have manners that are

much worse and know better.

Number two is a matter of prime urgency and parents should be alert for that

no matter what their young one is wearing approved or not.

Remove from the pool immediately and matters attended to.

If noticeable residue alert the appropriate personnel to service the pool.

One very important cavet !

DO NOT EVER EVEN THINK ABOUT FLUSHING A DIAPER OR OTHER RELATED ITEM DOWN THE SHIPS TOILET !

It most certainly will jam the vacuum sanitation system and the maintenance

people will come looking for you with intent to have you walk the plank !

When this is done a whole section of the toilets on that line have to be shut

down and roto-rootered to unblock the jam. After the maintenance folks have

had a talk with you your cabin neighbors may have something to add. Oh and

airing out the pipes in the process is an oh so pleasant experience best you

not be at the scene of the crime.

But realize that accidents happen - be on alert to prevent matters made worse !

Hah so with the athletic club pools. . I swim for my workouts, doing several thousand meter swims several days a week with lots of other swimmers. I'm positive there's peeing going on in the water somewhere. All professional swimmers admit to it ;)

My second was my hardest, but he managed to potty train about 4 months after turning 3, right before preschool started (where he had to be trained).

My third trained soon after she turned 2, after I took her diaper off to help clear up a diaper rash. She never wore one again during the day! With the next 2, I started closer to 2 than 3, and didn't use pull-ups at all, and it took less than a week. Lesson learned! My oldest wasn't potty trained by 3, either, but I started closer to 3, and used pull-ups.

1) How is that a question?

2) Believe me it was an issue. The crew many not have bothered with enforcing things but it WAS an issue! :eek:

I just meant to imply that it wasn't an issue in my experience. For the people that had an issue with it I'm sure just went to the adult only pools and the ones who didn't just stayed in the main pool.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Reminded me of an incident in the pool on one of our BA sailing in the middle of a sea day, where it was packed - where someone spotted floating "objects" :eek: in the pool water; and, maintenance/crew promptly responded to the leakage - subsequently shutting down the pool & everyone promptly vacated to dry grounds. Didn't witnessed it but happened to heard the chatter as we're upstairs in the shades @ Uptown Grill - took a while to drain, clean & re-open that small adult pool ... swimming, anyone :rolleyes:

I know & seen them draining the pools late night, cleaning & then filling them up again to get ready for the next day - this was gross & not best practices at all. Parents not observing the basic rules and crew assigned to work in the area not enforcing or checking for infractions against regulations.

As for the hottubs ... ;)

Edited by mking8288

I recommend bribery, well just tell him the truth, if he can't get out of the diapers then he can't play in the water. I bet that they are gone by the time you get on the ship!

If you're going to photo shop a picture at least learn how to do it correctly.

I'm sure many an adult is peeing in the adult pool. Most everyone does it, even if they don't admit it. I don't have issues with pee in the pool. I'm assuming the chlorine kills it.

It's poop that I won't tolerate. With babies/toddlers, they just go when they go, and I'd rather not be swimming with poop water. For parents that don't think it's a big deal.... I want to ask them if they would have issues if an adult like me just decided to take a dump in the pool and hope the chlorine took care of it?

I didn't notice this when we were on Getaway, but I will have to look out for it on our upcoming cruise. When we were on Disney some years back my then 2 year old was in swim diapers and there were crew members who wouldn't allow her into the Mickey ears pool.