pronunciation of Sirena?

gnld

I, probably like most English-speaking people, saw the name of Oceania's new ship, Sirena, and assumed it was pronounced Sir-eena.

But a recent email from Oceania included a video on the ship wherein it was pronounced See-rain-ah.

Turns out Sirena is Spanish for mermaid (hence the ship's logo). And See-rain-ah is the Spanish pronunciation.

I wonder as time goes on, which pronunciation will prevail?

Regardless, we're booked on the ship in October, for my birthday.

We are also booked on SIRENA in October for MY birthday. I'm wondering which cruise you are on ... we leave Barcelona on October 4th.

I have been calling it by the Spanish pronunciation, just because I thought that was what it should be ... have been willing to be corrected, however!

Mura

I pronounced it Sigh-reena from Sirens of the sea who lured sailors into the deep.

That would be the UK (English) pronunciation But then I have no knowledge of the Spanish word. J

Edited by Jay23

I, probably like most English-speaking people, saw the name of Oceania's new ship, Sirena, and assumed it was pronounced Sir-eena.

But a recent email from Oceania included a video on the ship wherein it was pronounced See-rain-ah.

At first, the English teacher in me assumed the pronunciation was Sigh-rEEn-ah after the Greek mythological sirens, but further English-teacher-type consideration decided that couldn't be right. After all, the sirens of mythology are evil creatures whose beautiful songs lure sailors to their death on the rocks or distract sailors so much that they simply walk off the decks of their ships and drown. That's hardly an allusion that a cruise line would want to encourage.

The word "mermaid" in Spanish an Italian is Sirena, a much happier association if you think about the Tom Hanks/Darryl Hannah movie Splash or the animated Little Mermaid.

I was pronouncing sigh -- ree -- nah until I viewed an Azamara produced video and they said sa --wren -- nah. Kind of like the second better. I too thought it was after the sirens who lured Odysseus but on second thought that's probably not a great name for a ship...like the mermaid concept better.

I would assume that the typical American-English pronunciation (doesn't everything need to be Americanized?) would be sigh-REE-nah, sort of like eye-TAL-yan. <tongue-in-cheek>

Regards, Ned

We are also booked on SIRENA in October for MY birthday. I'm wondering which cruise you are on ... we leave Barcelona on October 4th.

I have been calling it by the Spanish pronunciation, just because I thought that was what it should be ... have been willing to be corrected, however!

Mura

Hi, Mura. The Oct. 4th transatlantic is the one we're booked on, too. 10/6 birthday.

Gary

Hi, Mura. The Oct. 4th transatlantic is the one we're booked on, too. 10/6 birthday. Gary

Gary, I'm a day older than you are. Maybe we should have a midnight supper to jointly celebrate????

Looking forward to seeing you on board.

Mura

Tonight is the last night of the last cruise for the Ocean Princess. Tomorrow (March 7th), she gets handed over to Oceania to begin her refurbishment/transformation into Sirena.

Perhaps they'll be singing Auld Lang Syne onboard tonight?