Best Food Experiences on Oceania ??

curtdesilets

Since you mentioned this particular pork, IME it has always been better prepared at Jacques than in Polo. Polo's tends to be too dry (well done) while Jacques' is juicy and tender (med rare) - at least in my experience:)

Good point!

If the ship is in "code red" this won't work, but I order my pork medium rare. Not just on Oceania :)

When the waiter responds "chef recommends medium" I gently and firmly explain to the waiter that I like my pork "underdone" and still juicy. And that I don't mind chewing (some chefs claim anything less than medium can be very chewy). And that I would be happy with a pork chop cooked "as rare as the kitchen is comfortable".

I am not a doctor and this isn't medical advice. If I had a compromised immune system I might not be so cavalier. But 1st world meat in a nice restaurant is usually fine as long as it isn't ground, and as long as it is "cooked on the outside". Ground meat, definitely medium is ok with me (that's what mayonnaise is for, right?).

Good point!

If the ship is in "code red" this won't work, but I order my pork medium rare. Not just on Oceania :)

When the waiter responds "chef recommends medium" I gently and firmly explain to the waiter that I like my pork "underdone" and still juicy. And that I don't mind chewing (some chefs claim anything less than medium can be very chewy). And that I would be happy with a pork chop cooked "as rare as the kitchen is comfortable".

I am not a doctor and this isn't medical advice. If I had a compromised immune system I might not be so cavalier. But 1st world meat in a nice restaurant is usually fine as long as it isn't ground, and as long as it is "cooked on the outside". Ground meat, definitely medium is ok with me (that's what mayonnaise is for, right?).

All good points and I agree :)

Pork dishes in the Terrace are always disappointing to me as they may look and sound good but are always overdone. I guess most people are more comfortable with well done pork although that is "old school" as it is not necessary to "over kill" the pork :D

Edited by Paulchili

All good points and I agree :)

Pork dishes in the Terrace are always disappointing to me as they may look and sound good but are always overdone. I guess most people are more comfortable with well done pork although that is "old school" as it is not necessary to "over kill" the pork :D

That's why must favorite pork is always cooked at home - I brine it ;)

I have actually had a Bloody Mary with a stick of bacon in it. :cool:

I see you live in Antwerp. :) I believe that DH and I will be visiting there in May on a day trip from Amsterdam. We can't decide on Brussels, Antwerp or Bruges. We plan to take the train. Looking forward to seeing a touch of Belgium where ever we end up. ;)

Try to get to Ghent. I love that little town.

I have actually had a Bloody Mary with a stick of bacon in it. :cool:

I see you live in Antwerp. :) I believe that DH and I will be visiting there in May on a day trip from Amsterdam. We can't decide on Brussels, Antwerp or Bruges. We plan to take the train. Looking forward to seeing a touch of Belgium where ever we end up. ;)

Hello

Yes we live in Antwerp.

If You decide to visit Antwerp.

Very easy from Amsterdam to Antwerp by train.

We'll be on the inaugural voyage of Sirena until 11 may.

If You plan your visit after 11may ( in cause You visit Antwerp )we love to be Your guides.At no fee:)

Gilbert

Not a meal but I most look forward to afternoon tea-wonderful music, nicely brewed teas and great sandwiches and other treats.

Maybe dinner seems less important because I enjoy tea too much. :-)

I admit it wasn't until our 3rd Oceania cruise that we made it to tea. And then we were able to get to a Grand Tea, too! (typically offered on longer itineraries or ones with lots of sea days).

I am gluten-free, and thought I might be going to tea just to be social. Turns out they have gluten-free tea goodies ready to go (you have to ask, but they are available on the spot, or they were in December 2014).

We had a good steak (filet) in the dining room, and then again in Polo.

The tea does sound lovely. ;) We were in London this past Fall, and were tempted at the hotel. We thought the cost way too much! Later in the week, we were able to have a morning and an afternoon tea on a tour we took to the Cotswolds. Delightful!

Hello

Yes we live in Antwerp.

If You decide to visit Antwerp.

Very easy from Amsterdam to Antwerp by train.

We'll be on the inaugural voyage of Sirena until 11 may.

If You plan your visit after 11may ( in cause You visit Antwerp )we love to be Your guides.At no fee:)

Gilbert

Gilbert, What a gracious invitation. :)

We will be in Amsterdam for 4 nights beginning May 22. We plan to visit Belgium on the 23rd. We are waiting to hear from our German friends who live 1.5 hours from Amsterdam, in Bocholt, Germany. They may come stay in our apartment with us for a couple of nights. If they do, they have been to Brussels before and will be our guides. I am not sure about Antwerp. I will keep this post and be sure to contact you after you return from your cruise and before the 21st (before we leave the U.S.) ;)

Edited by Iamthesea

What a gracious invitation indeed!! We were in Antwerp way back in 2001 on Renaissance and had a wonderful day on our own. (The father of my best friend in grammar school was from Antwerp but by the time we were there we didn't have any contacts ... It's always great (IMO) to see a city with someone who lives there!

Mura

Thanks for all of your responses. I am taking copious notes, and salivating profusely :D. - OP

I think I recall that they also had, at least on the Alaska Cruises, an outdoor BBQ of Fresh Salmon (and perhaps Halibut) at least one day in the pool area.

Do any of you past Alaskan Regatta cruisers recall that?

-Curt.

Best steaks??

It depends on who is cooking

We have had good pieces of meat & some not so good as in overcooked

I do like mine well done or med -well depending on the cut

It depends on who is cooking

We have had good pieces of meat & some not so good as in overcooked

I do like mine well done or med -well depending on the cut

In Polo on the menu there is actually a description of each given done-ness ('rare - red, cold center' - that kind of thing). My DH will gladly send back anything that is cooked more than he ordered. Once in a lovely restaurant in the Hudson Valley he sent it back twice - the third time *was* the charm, and we made good friends with the chef/owner as a result.

Two things that come to mind - first, if you like aged steak (some folks do, some find it a bit game-y), that will be found in Polo and not typically elsewhere (maybe an occasional GDR special, and quite possibly La Reserve but I am not sure).

Second, La Reserve serves dishes that are demanding enough to warrant its own adjacent prep-kitchen for required last minute work on items prepared in the main kitchen (or at least that was the situation a few years ago). No other dining rooms have their own such final prep kitchen.

Happy dining!

I'll look into it. It is closer than Bruges. ;)

Oh, and Maastricht, my favorite of all places. The old town has cobblestones, no cars, beautiful shops, so picturesque. And I loved the apartment where we stayed, Hotel Zenden, with a subterranean pool to swim in next door. I could just live there.

In Polo on the menu there is actually a description of each given done-ness ('rare - red, cold center' - that kind of thing). My DH will gladly send back anything that is cooked more than he ordered

Happy dining!

Of course you can send it back if not to your liking

But why should you have to ..it should be prepared as ordered