VB cabin_Question

holacanada

Hello fellow cruisers,

I wish somebody give me little information about VB cabin on the Westerdam.

Particularly on deck 5.

Could it be true that the veranda particularly deep? Is it noisy ?

Thank you in advance for your information.

Holacanada

The aft-facing VB (5184-5189) are extra deep, but the side ones are the standard 6 feet deep. The deck plans say "23 ft to stern from Staterooms 5184 and 5185". Since they are above and below other cabins they should not be noisy. Remember that the stern ones are fully covered.

For pictures Google

/5185-westerdam-v/

or /5186-westerdam/

or /5187-zuiderdam-v/

or /5189-oosterdam/

Edited by jtl513

This is a pic of the Zuiderdam (same as Westerdam) before decks 6 to 9 were extended. Using the 9 ft wide side balconies as a gauge, I estimate the deck 5 stern balconies to be about 15 ft deep.

2642e5j.jpg

Edited by jtl513

This is a pic of the Zuiderdam (same as Westerdam) before decks 6 to 9 were extended. Using the 9 ft wide side balconies as a gauge, I estimate the deck 5 stern balconies to be about 15 ft deep.

2642e5j.jpg

When was this picture taken? What year were Decks 6-9 extended?

When was this picture taken? What year were Decks 6-9 extended?
I didn't take the picture, I just "grabbed" it from someone else's post, so I don't know the date.

The Westerdam had its decks 6>9 extended in May 2007, the Zuiderdam in "Spring" 2008, and the Oosterdam in Apr 2009, so all I can say is that the photo is pre-Spring 2008.

Edited by jtl513

We sailed the Westerdam last March in stateroom 5184 and it was HEAVEN!!! Wonderfully deep balcony that had two loungers, two chairs with one ottoman plus a side table. My husband and I spent many hours in those loungers enjoying the wake while relaxing.

A good portion of the balcony is covered which was perfect for us. My husband doesn't care for the sun as much, so it was nice to be able to enjoy the shade. On the day we left FLL it was a bit drizzly, but we stayed dry watching us leave the channel from our balcony.

It was very quiet back there because the only traffic outside was from those actually staying in those aft staterooms. Neither one of us found the walk to the elevators or other areas of the ship particularly long; if anything it was a little more exercise to walk off dessert.

My only challenge (and trust me, it was one I would face again to have that stateroom) is the tight space between the closet, door and bathroom. Husband and I just had to stay out of each other's way when choosing clothes or moving in/out of the bathroom (which, by the way, has a full tub!!)

Did I mention how much I loved that stateroom?

We sailed the Westerdam last March in stateroom 5184 and it was HEAVEN!!! Wonderfully deep balcony that had two loungers, two chairs with one ottoman plus a side table. My husband and I spent many hours in those loungers enjoying the wake while relaxing.

A good portion of the balcony is covered which was perfect for us. My husband doesn't care for the sun as much, so it was nice to be able to enjoy the shade. On the day we left FLL it was a bit drizzly, but we stayed dry watching us leave the channel from our balcony.

It was very quiet back there because the only traffic outside was from those actually staying in those aft staterooms. Neither one of us found the walk to the elevators or other areas of the ship particularly long; if anything it was a little more exercise to walk off dessert.

My only challenge (and trust me, it was one I would face again to have that stateroom) is the tight space between the closet, door and bathroom. Husband and I just had to stay out of each other's way when choosing clothes or moving in/out of the bathroom (which, by the way, has a full tub!!)

Did I mention how much I loved that stateroom?

Love to hear such positive thoughts about your cabin!

The tight traffic pattern you describe is quite common in HAL cabins and you get used to it!

• 4 weeks later...

We have VB-4174 on the Oosterdam for 21 days. First time in a stern cabin. By the picture above, it appears that on the deck 4 stern cabins, you only look out and down onto the prop wash, which we consider a real treat. Stern cabins on deck 5 & 6 appear to look down on the balconies on the decks below. Has anyone had a deck 4 stern cabin ? Obviously the balcony is deeper, how about the actual cabin ?

I'm assuming the only drawback would be the long hike every morning to get the wife's cappuccino in the observation lounge, which is all the way forward on deck 10.

Has anyone had a deck 4 stern cabin ?

I believe deck four aft is the upper dining room, isn't it? Which is why even the side verandas in that area are deeper! :confused:

Edited by George'sGal

I believe deck four aft is the upper dining room' date=' isn't it? Which is why even the side verandas in that area are deeper! :confused:[/quote']The upper MDR is on deck 3, and all of the side verandas on deck 4 are 7.5 ft deep, not just those above the MDR.

We had Noordam 4178, which was about the standard length inside but had an 11 ft deep balcony. The four stern balconies across the middle have not only the deep balcony but also about 4 ft extra length inside.

Edited by jtl513

I believe deck four aft is the upper dining room' date=' isn't it? Which is why even the side verandas in that area are deeper! :confused:[/quote']

The dining room is on Lower Promenade (deck 2) and Promenade (deck 3). All of Upper Promenade Deck (deck 4) is cabins.

The reason for the deeper cabins along the side of Upper Promenade is to allow for the lifeboats, and clearance if they have to be lowered.