Adventure of the Seas 3-5-16 sailing now onboard

Back on board after being ashore in St Lucia. This is such a beautiful, friendly island. Given that and the absolutley gorgeous sunny weather, low humidity, and blue water and sky is exactly what I want in a Caribbean cruise. In the winter of the northern US, this is what I dream of.

We entered the harbor forward. Then the captain did a 180 degree turn so that we are now facing the sea but we are docked Starboard. Our neighbor, the Jewel of the Seas, is also docked Starboard but they are away at the next pier across the harbor facing forward into land.

This is day 5, Wednesday. The drink of the day is Pirate's Hurricane $10 plus 18%, not to be mistaken for Pirate's Punch a couple of days ago. LOL. The dinner menu this evening is Sage. Dress suggestion is casual. Chef's recommended entree is mustard-crusted roast beef. (When we looked at the menus for the week we thought this would be one to miss. But...Giovanni's has the mystery theater tonight and we didn't care to do that.). So we'll see what we eat tonight.

The headliner show in the big Lyric Theater is "Shade of Buble' ". A three man trio doing a tribute to the songs of Michael Buble'. But isn't Michael Buble' doing tributes to Sinatra, Bennett, Bobby Darren, etc.? So I wonder if this is a tribute to a tribute... Showtimes at 7 and 9.

Movie on the big outdoor screen on the pool deck tonight is Jurassic World at 8:45.

St. Lucia is indeed a fantastic place!

You're reports are bringing back all sorts of fond memories on Adventure of the Seas! :)

022813_St_Lucia_9X_Tour.jpg

Thanks so much for your review. We will be on the Adventure of the Seas next month for my first cruise!!! We have My Time Dining but have not made any reservation times. Should we select times? If so, what time would be good in order to go to the shows in plenty of time?? Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks so much!!!

We board on May 28th, but not the same route. We're leaving out of San Juan but we go to St. Martin, Aruba, Curacao and Bonaire.

Looking forward to reading the rest of your review!!!

I can't decide if I want to get internet or not. All I would need it for would be to check my email every once in a while and posting pictures on Facebook :)

I'm on this sailing too! You could wait until later in the cruise when it might be cheaper!

After lunch we went to the pools. The movie on the big screen on the pool deck 11 started at 1 pm, Furious 7. This is an action film where you don't have to think too hard about a plot. Perfect fun film for watching while floating in the pool.

It was so sunny today that we went to our stateroom about 3:30 for a nap. We went to the WJ for dinner because the theme was Indian food. I love tikka masala, etc. and they had so many choices that were great! But of course they always have the standards: the most popular of that I saw tonight was mashed potatoes and gravy...

Then off to "Shades of Buble' " at 7:00 pm in the large Lyric Theater. As I suspected it was three guys imitating Michael Buble' imitating other singers; Sinatra, Bennett, etc. so it was a show of imitators imitating an imitator. We walked out early.

At 8:00 pm we went to the Imperial lounge on deck 5 for 50s & 60s Rock and roll party. Live band! Excellent dancers from among the passengers like you and me. It was so much fun. Some of these small venue events are some of the best entertainment on cruises.

At abou 9:00 we went to the Schooner bar on deck 4 for adult karaoke. Our fellow passengers have a lot of courage, and a lot of drinks, to get up in front of everyone and, for the most part, sing off key. Lots of fun!

As to MTD, we are traditional early diners. I know from experience that on larger ships like Oasis and Allure that they will block a dinner reservation and a theater show that are not two hours or more apart. We sit down on six on this Adventure cruise and we are out of the MDR by 6:50 and can make the 7:00 pm show. (Mind you, table for two, with menus well known, so ordering is done as soon as we sit) Most hardliners are at 7 and 9 . Other production shows vary, so no definite answer as to MTD and shows...sorry.

I'm on this sailing too! You could wait until later in the cruise when it might be cheaper!

We now have the Compass for tomorrow, day 6, Thursday. The price is still $20 for first device and $10 for second. A one day, 24 hour, package for one (1) device is still $40!!!!

The wifi on the ship is painfully slow. I had better service for free at a gift shop on shore in St Lucia today.

That's one way of putting it...don't try and use it the last sea day :P

I thought about that. It seems that if we come back to the ship early when everyone else is still ashore, it seems to work better. Perhaps like old school Internet, the more using it, the slower it gets. So on last sea day everyone is on board. You are on to something. Thank you.

It is day 6, Thursday. Grenada. Partly cloudy, high of 86. We are docked on the starboard side. Using the same dock and pier is a P&O Cruise line, Britannia of of Southampton , England. They are docked port side, so we look in each other's balconies and rooms. Our Adventure looks like a small little brother next to her.

Drink of the day is Pom Tree Margarita, $10, plus the 18% gratuity. (GRENADine is made from pomegranate juice; wink, wink.)

Menu tonight is Jasmine. It is formal night. So for the most part, 7 day cruises on Adventure feature formal nights on day 2 and 6. The chef's selection tonight is prime rib. There is also lobster tonight on the Fisherman's plate.

To go ashore here the pier is quite long, not as long as St Croix, but a very close second.

Basically you dumped into an indoor mall, complete with a Subway sandwich shop and a New York bagel restaurant. Not to left out there is, of corse, Diamonds International.

Got outside into the "real world" of the locals. We needed a pharmacy and one of the small spice vendors out in the street gave me excellent directions. The drug store was on a side street and served our purpose.

There is an old fort very close by but we did not want to walk up the many, many stone steps.

Please allow me a little history discussion. You may or may not remember that in 1983 US president Reagan sent Marines into Grenada to rescue American students studying at a foreign medical school on this island. There was political unrest with Cuban interference. All Americans were safely evacuated. The US was scolded by the United Nations for interfering with another country's politics.

Today on the street an elderly native of Grenada said, "Americans, thank you and your president for keeping us safe so long ago. The good thing is that we have never seen Cuban soldiers in this country since that time". He smiled and gave a little bow.

Today on the street an elderly native of Grenada said, "Americans, thank you and your president for keeping us safe so long ago. The good thing is that we have never seen Cuban soldiers in this country since that time". He smiled and gave a little bow.

What a neat experience and interaction!

At abou 9:00 we went to the Schooner bar on deck 4 for adult karaoke. Our fellow passengers have a lot of courage, and a lot of drinks, to get up in front of everyone and, for the most part, sing off key. Lots of fun!

Ah yes, Karoake.....it is a favorite for us on a ship....we look through the Daily Compass to make sure we know when it is.

It looks like you are having a great cruise. Enjoy all that is left!!!

Another port here in Grenada that the Compass states: "The local officials have informed us that guests are not permitted ashore in camouflage wear in Grenada.".

The evening entertainment is similar to Day 2: Production Showtime, with the ship's singers and dancers. 7 & 9 in the Lyric Theater.

Love and Marriage show is tonight at 10:15 in Lyric Theater.

From our generous travel agent we have a complimentary specialty dinner for two this evening at Giovanni's Table. Others have posted that the GT filet mignon may be better than that in Chops on other ships. So steak tonight, then lunch on sea day there for famous lasagna. Dinner is worth $30 per person. We will pay $20 pp for tomorrow's lunch.

I'm so GLAD you enjoyed St. Lucia, along with the other ports. That is my FAVORITE island, and that is why I chose (even thought very expensive) this direction, just to do St. Lucia after being there 9 years ago. Oh what wonderful memories of this place.

Sorry I'm so full of questions, but I'm asking as I'm reading your review.

You said the Imperial Lounge had a 50's & 60's music party. Is that listed in the paper? Is it just for one night, or is it every night? I would love to check this out.

Listed in day 5 compass on the back page. 50s & 60s Rock and roll party was one night, day 5, Wednesdday from 8:00 to 9:00 pm. The assistant to the activity director is your MC. She tell you that this is not a concert, it is a party!

The four piece band and singers are spot on in their performances!

If you have 8:30 dinner reservations, get out there and dance at the very first song. They then have a little friendly dance completion that ends at 8:25 so people can leave for dinner. The rest of us stayed and danced until about 9.

Elvis, the Platters, chubby Checker, etc. a little more 50s than 60s, but songs we all know. They also sprinkle in some slow dancing for up close and personal enjoyment, wink, wink...

Edited by minn0315

This afternoon got a little rainy so at 3:00 pm I went to the Screening Room a small movie theater on deck 2 forward, i.e. Forward of the conference center.

The movie was Our Brand is Crisis with Sanda Bullock and Billy Bob Thornton. I was cynical about political campaigns before, now after seeing this movie I am even more cynical.

The theater seats 55 in theater like seats. It felt like that old TV show "Cribs" where they showed millionaire's homes. Most of them had home theaters that looked like this. There were 12 other people in the place with me. I thought it was nice to spend a couple of hours on a rainy afternoon.

Giovanni's Table was very good. Since this is the only specialty restaurant on board it was quite busy.

We each had the filet mignon. It was equal to Chops on other ships. We also shared a pasta dish and a caprese salad. While service and quality was great, they just serve way too much food. Looking at our table and neighbor's tables, there was so much uneaten food at the end of each meal.

In our stateroom tonight were our departure luggage tags, already. Also instructions for disembarkation in San Juan on Saturday morning. Seemed to go by so quickly...