Adventure of the Seas 3-5-16 sailing now onboard

Hi,

I am doing this same cruise in a few weeks and had a question about St. Croix. I am cruising with my older parents and know the pier there is a long walk. I heard once that there is a courtesy shuttle that takes you from the boat to the end of the pier. Did you see one at all? Thanks for any help and enjoy your cruise!!

We just got off the Adventure on the 5th. We had such a great cruise. Be sure to go to the Schooner Bar at 9:45 to see David Curtis the piano player/comedian. We went to see him 5/7 nights. He is awesome and very funny. Need to get there early for a good seat.

Hi,

I am doing this same cruise in a few weeks and had a question about St. Croix. I am cruising with my older parents and know the pier there is a long walk. I heard once that there is a courtesy shuttle that takes you from the boat to the end of the pier. Did you see one at all? Thanks for any help and enjoy your cruise!!

I just returned from my 2/13 sailing on Adventure. There is indeed a courtesy shuttle. It ran all day from what I could tell. My mom used it twice. There is maybe a wait of 10 minutes max for the shuttle. It is a small bus that holds a lot of people.

Went ashore today in St Croix. In the US VI you must have both your sea pass card and a government issued picture ID to leave the island to return to the ship. We took our passports. Checked by island security twice before returning to ship.

Lots of small tents with locals selling goods. I stopped at Polly's Cafe for a beer. I inquired about local beers and the owner said the closest ones are from St John. So I got a "Virgin Islands IPA" from St John. When I finished the beer, $5, I read the label: brewed and bottled for Vigin Islands brewing by (some real brewery) in Portland, Maine!

Concierge invited us to tour the bridge. Very strict security screening, more than the most stringent airport I've ever been to. Another must is hand sanitation which is supervised before entering the bridge. Since we had been docked for 2 hours the only person on the bridge was the first officer (co pilot if you will). He gave us a tour and explained things very well with ample time for questions and pictures, but no video allowed. One of the most interesting things I've done on a ship.

Sun is now out. Very humid today. Tonight's menu is "Pimiento", with chef's selection for entree, garlic tiger shrimp. Dress is casual/70s attire.

We are opting for Johnny Rocket's for dinner tonight then the headliner, Lou Gazzara, in the theater at 7:00 and 9:00.

Did you have to take your passports....wouldn't your SeaPass and DL have been enough ?

Answers: yes to pier shuttle as above. DL would also work in US VI, we just always have our passports on our person.

At C&A last night I asked Activity director Margot when she was leaving. This Saturday 3/12. Replaced by Reynot (spelling) which she said is his home ship. We got hustled along the line so I could'nt ask where she was going next.

When I got to Mercedes in the greeting line she was on her personal cell phone (not a ship radio/walkie) and not greeting guests. So I could not speak to her.

There was a D+ in CL first day, but she was also in a suite, so she had a gold colored card for entrance.

We went to Johnny Rocket's last night. Introduced to this place a few ships ago. $6.95 per person with all the food you can eat and complimentary soft drinks included. Milk shakes/malts are not included, pay extra for those; however pies and ice cream sundaes are complimentary. The 18% gratuity is included in the $6.95 charge.

We ask the server to serve everything at the same time, unlike the usual order of shake first, then 10 minutes later the fries/rings and then another 10 minutes until you get your burgers. I understand that you get to drink and munch before burgers, but by the time they arrive the others are either too warm or too cold. Just us, I guess.

Yesterday's drink of the day was Caribbean Tea, as opposed to Long Island? $10. Today's is Melon Margarita, $10.

The Loyalty Ambassador desk is so well hidden that I could not find it and I consider myself a good map reader. It is in deck 4, an employee said she could not give directions, so she physically walked us over to it, hidden in a corner. There's was absolutley no signage whatsoever.

(I am writing in short segments for fear that I may write a lot and then wifi goes down and it never gets sent.)

Crown and Anchor welcome back party was held in Studio B last night. They cover the ice with plywood.

Free champagne, yellow bird cocktails, and also alcohol free drinks, as many as you wanted for all.

Funny thing: When they introduced the officers and staff walking into the venue the band on stage played The Love Boat theme. I think it went off the air in the late 1980s, so this fun thing was lost on younger passengers.

Captain told us that there are 8 million C&A members, the most of any cruise line in the world. He did not break it down by levels.

He also told us that by online comments entered after cruises the Adventure is #2 of all ships in RCI fleet in customer satisfaction. He didn't say which one was #1.

Also it was his feeling that Enchantment of the Seas will be the first ship into Cuba from RCI. I later talked to him one on one up in the WJ where the crew goes to get snacks before it closes at 9. He reconfirmed to me that he thinks it will indeed be Enchantment.

Today, day 4, we are in Antigua. Rain as we approached and the ship rocked side to side so that our closet and cupboard doors opened and slammed shut with each roll. Overcast now, high of 79.

Docked port side today. Short pier, easy walking. My wife looked over the balcony and said, " I see Diamonds International, we could be in any port in the world on a Royal cruise" LOL.

Dinner menu tonight is s Basil. Chef's recommended entree is orecchiette pasta.

You may have seen my response on the regular RCI board about drink cards. On sale today, day 4, 10 drinks for $85.00. You then need to add the 18%'gratuity on top of that.

Very short pier walk to shops in Antigua. RCI "tips for travelers " on the back of the port shopping map handed out today with Compass for Antigua: "Beach attire is perfect to wear on the beach, but not in town, in the shops, or in the restaurants. And no camouflage clothing anywhere."

I bought some rum, "product of Antigua", but with my luck I'll find it was bottled in Florida...

My wife bought a leather handbag and some other small items.

The day turned out to be rainy so no pool time today. There is no live performance in the large theater this evening. They are playing the movie "Everest" in the Lyric Theater at 8:30 tonight even though it has been shown on the big screen on the pool deck and in the smaller screening room on deck 2 earlier this week. There is the ice show in studio B, but that seating is probably 1/5 or less of the main theater. Staff tells me that ice show attendance is down because people have seen very similar style shows on many other ships lately.

Due to the rain, an outdoor BBQ lunch was moved to the promenade.

Another quick word about Johnny Rocket's. In the Compass there is a notation next to the JR hours referring to the restaurant being reserved from 6:00 pm to 7:00 for youth dining. In reality anyone can dine there at any hour they are open. But the staff says during that youth hour you may encounter two tables of youngsters eating with their kids club leaders. It may be a bit lively and noisey. I think they should reword the notation. At first I thought ONLY youth could eat at that hour.

Today, day 4, we are in Antigua. Rain as we approached and the ship rocked side to side so that our closet and cupboard doors opened and slammed shut with each roll. Overcast now, high of 79.

Docked port side today. Short pier, easy walking. My wife looked over the balcony and said, " I see Diamonds International, we could be in any port in the world on a Royal cruise" LOL.

Dinner menu tonight is s Basil. Chef's recommended entree is orecchiette pasta.

You may have seen my response on the regular RCI board about drink cards. On sale today, day 4, 10 drinks for $85.00. You then need to add the 18%'gratuity on top of that.

Hate to take time from your vacation- but am interested in the drink cards;)

We have back to back 3/19 and 3/26 - on Adventure.

What drinks were included? Have fun and enjoy the rest of your cruise!

Basically the drink cards are equivalent to the Premium package. Wines up to $12. Most cocktails , but not "Super Premium" liquor what ever that means. US beers are $6, imported are $5.50. Drink of the day has been $10 each day.

A regular drink, rum and coke, vodka and tonic are $8.26 including gratuity. Most other cocktails with three or more ingredients are $10.

However, at the R Bar those similarly 3+ ingredient drinks are $12. Not sure those are included.

We're really enjoying your reports on your cruise experience - thank you for sharing everything you've posted.

As a side note...read your other thread posts on the Cruise Director - nearly shocking that you'd get that kind of experience/comments from any CD. Post our thoughts in that thread as well.

Thanks for your report. We will be on the Adventure for the NYE cruise and we are looking forward to the post revitalization changes. Can you ask about this? We moved our children to an interior cabin in front of our suite for this cruise. They are D+ on their own rights but if the CL is changed to a SL then they won't access to the lounge. Still, we liked the D lounge better than the CL on the Adventure. Happy cruising and thanks for taking the time for this live review.:)

Last night's dinner in the MDR was very good and as we experienced this week the service is superb. The beverage waiter had two glasses of wine on our table as soon as we sat down.

I had the crab cake as appetizer. Oh my this was excellent. Meaty with crab and served on a light fresh salsa. This was so large compared to crab cake appetizers in Chops on other ships.

I had the loin of cod as my entree with fresh crisp/tender vegetables and jasmine rice. MDR has always done fish very well. My wife had the linguine pomodoro, she loves the fresh made pasta and the light tomato sauce.

After dinner we went to the R Bar and that is where we encountered Mercedes and Margot walking past on the promenade. I now see from my post on another thread last night that I am not the first person that was "brushed off" by her. In addition she just doesn't appear to like her job in public or on stage. I see no passion for her work in her eyes or actions.

Docked in St Lucia now. Bright sunshine with clear bright blue sky. Calm tropical breeze. This pier is even shorter than Antigua. Need government photo ID to reenter dock to ship at this port also.

Shops are right here next to the ship. My wife bought some spices and Caribbean coffee as gifts for friends.

I am using free wifi next to Glammo gift shop. There are short brick walls around gardens next to the shop for sitting. This free wifi is far superior to that of the ship.

With regard to WJ food. We have been very satisfied with the quality and flavors. If the MDR does fish well, the WJ does curries very well. Being from Minnesota where we have very mild taste buds, all of the different curries have been seasoned to perfection.

There are also many vegetarian dishes available in the WJ. Also, if you look at the evening menus for the MDR, the WJ will have at least two of the soups offered there as well. For example, one night both places had lobster bisque, and another night they had roasted garlic soup.

When I get back on board the ship later I'll give the drink of the day, tonight's menu and tonight's theater show.

Last night's dinner in the MDR was very good and as we experienced this week the service is superb. The beverage waiter had two glasses of wine on our table as soon as we sat down.

I had the crab cake as appetizer. Oh my this was excellent. Meaty with crab and served on a light fresh salsa. This was so large compared to crab cake appetizers in Chops on other ships.

I had the loin of cod as my entree with fresh crisp/tender vegetables and jasmine rice. MDR has always done fish very well. My wife had the linguine pomodoro, she loves the fresh made pasta and the light tomato sauce.

After dinner we went to the R Bar and that is where we encountered Mercedes and Margot walking past on the promenade. I now see from my post on another thread last night that I am not the first person that was "brushed off" by her. In addition she just doesn't appear to like her job in public or on stage. I see no passion for her work in her eyes or actions.

Sounds like burnout. Sad. Glad to hear we'll have Dan Whitney fresh aboard as CD next month when we sail.

On the main topic - appreciate and enjoying your posts on your experiences.

Docked in St Lucia now. Bright sunshine with clear bright blue sky. Calm tropical breeze. This pier is even shorter than Antigua. Need government photo ID to reenter dock to ship at this port also.

Thanks for the live review. We're enjoying following along! We just booked Adventure yesterday when the new itineraries opened up. I can't wait to go to St.Lucia! Did the ship dock starboard or port to the pier?

Back on board after being ashore in St Lucia. This is such a beautiful, friendly island. Given that and the absolutley gorgeous sunny weather, low humidity, and blue water and sky is exactly what I want in a Caribbean cruise. In the winter of the northern US, this is what I dream of.

We entered the harbor forward. Then the captain did a 180 degree turn so that we are now facing the sea but we are docked Starboard. Our neighbor, the Jewel of the Seas, is also docked Starboard but they are away at the next pier across the harbor facing forward into land.

This is day 5, Wednesday. The drink of the day is Pirate's Hurricane $10 plus 18%, not to be mistaken for Pirate's Punch a couple of days ago. LOL. The dinner menu this evening is Sage. Dress suggestion is casual. Chef's recommended entree is mustard-crusted roast beef. (When we looked at the menus for the week we thought this would be one to miss. But...Giovanni's has the mystery theater tonight and we didn't care to do that.). So we'll see what we eat tonight.

The headliner show in the big Lyric Theater is "Shade of Buble' ". A three man trio doing a tribute to the songs of Michael Buble'. But isn't Michael Buble' doing tributes to Sinatra, Bennett, Bobby Darren, etc.? So I wonder if this is a tribute to a tribute... Showtimes at 7 and 9.

Movie on the big outdoor screen on the pool deck tonight is Jurassic World at 8:45.