Sushi on 5 Detailed Review with Photos - Reflection 2/27/16

Alsmez

I, for one, was a big fan of the original Bistro on 5, with the wonderful crepes and paninnis. I thought it was a great place for a meal on embarkation day or a light bite when coming back from a day off the ship.

Will be on the Summit in August and hope that Bistro and not Sushi is still there.

Not a sushi fan at all, so if the change is made fleet wide I will be unhappy that there is one less dining venue for me to enjoy.

I agree with you! Sorry to see the Bistro changing. We also enjoyed our first official cruise meal at Bistro. Fortunately we are in a suite and can enjoy lumine.

Can't believe those prices!!!!

I can go to the best sushi restaurant in town and get larger quantities of sushi than you show for less cost and not wonder about how long the fish has been at sea.

Well, you don't need to worry about how long the fish has been at sea in this case either - all fish meant to eaten raw will have been frozen (by law) to kill parasites, so there are no concerns about safety or quality. As for the prices, they are almost exactly what I pay for average (NOT high-end) sushi in New York City. Quantities are the same as well. If you are from a smaller town, I have no doubt you are accustomed to lower prices, but what Celebrity is charging is pretty standard in larger cities.

I enjoyed the Bistro as well. I had heard somewhere that they were doing the Bistro for lunch and then the Sushi at night. I guess that was not accurate. Do you know if they still are serving sushi in the Oceanview cafe? They typically had it evening.

I enjoyed the Bistro as well. I had heard somewhere that they were doing the Bistro for lunch and then the Sushi at night. I guess that was not accurate. Do you know if they still are serving sushi in the Oceanview cafe? They typically had it evening.

We checked each night during the usual sushi hour and I can confirm that there was no sushi in the buffet. The only special food in the buffet at that time was "high tea," with scones, some other desserts, a few canapes and finger foods. They held a "special" lunch on our last sea day in the buffet (chocolate fountain, ice sculptures, etc.), and that was the only time they served sushi there. BTW, it was the typical, mass-produced, refrigerated stuff that they always had in the buffet, nothing special. The sushi at So5 was of much higher quality (but of course with a price tag to match!).

It has been reported that the buffet sushi has been replaced with a "deli" station.

It makes sense from celebrity's point of view, why compete with themselves?

I wouldn't call the deli station a replacement for the sushi. The NY Deli station is there starting at dinnertime (6pm I believe), but it is not available during the 4-5 "cocktail" hour when they used to serve sushi. The only food available during that time other than pizza and pasta is "high tea" (scones, finger sandwiches, etc.).

BTW, I'll be doing a fuller review of other dining venues on the ship soon, including some photos of the NY Deli station. They have a few new meat choices, new breads (challah, etc.), salads and sides (noodle kugel, egg salad, etc.) and some NY desserts like black and white cookies.

Well, you don't need to worry about how long the fish has been at sea in this case either - all fish meant to eaten raw will have been frozen (by law) to kill parasites, so there are no concerns about safety or quality. As for the prices, they are almost exactly what I pay for average (NOT high-end) sushi in New York City. Quantities are the same as well. If you are from a smaller town, I have no doubt you are accustomed to lower prices, but what Celebrity is charging is pretty standard in larger cities.

And here lies the problem. Only those who live in NYC or Long Island or others who live in a metropolitan area would accept those prices since we are used to paying them. In my experience sushi is a hard sell for someone who has never had it before, add on what they would consider a high cost and now you have a recipe for disaster. In my case I started cruising in the 80's where a top quality meal was included in the price. I am of the mentality that if I'm paying extra on a cruise that the meal will be above and beyond what I can get at home. I'm not willing to pay NYC or Long Island prices for an average experience. I wasn't a fan of Bistro on 5 as I also felt it was a Panera with crepes. However, they provided a good meal at a reasonable price. I can't see this working on the M class ships as there is such a limited choice of restaurants on those ships to being with.

Edited by Iamcruzin

I am really sad to hear the buffet sushi is not there, but are you positive? It was always served starting at 5:30 after the Afternoon Tea.

Hm, I thought they put it out with the tea stuff. I never checked right at 5:30, so perhaps it was there briefly, but I never saw it. We often cruised the buffet around 6 to check out the dinner offerings and it was never available then - do they normally only leave it it out for 30 minutes?

And here lies the problem. Only those who live in NYC or Long Island or others who live in a metropolitan area would accept those prices since we are used to paying them. In my experience sushi is a hard sell for someone who has never had it before, add on what they would consider a high cost and now you have a recipe for disaster. In my case I started cruising in the 80's where a top quality meal was included in the price. I am of the mentality that if I'm paying extra on a cruise that the meal will be above and beyond what I can get at home. I'm not willing to pay NYC or Long Island prices for an average experience. I wasn't a fan of Bistro on 5 as I also felt it was a Panera with crepes. However, they provided a good meal at a reasonable price. I can't see this working on the M class ships as there is such a limited choice of restaurants on those ships to being with.

Cannot comment on the Sushi, but I know my family who enjoys sushi at Nobu and other high end sushi venues they might not like the Sushi on the ship. However, I dine at panera for lunch from time to time and the comparision of Bistro to Panera IMO isn't accurate. The portions are very small at Panera, and even the soups at Panera are watery and canned. They do not have the same menu- but of course offer soups, crummy small salads and sandwiches- some pannini type sandwiches and overrated not great-other breads. Panera is a good option for a snack or lunch- Also the presentation of the food on a plastic tray is more like a school cafeteria- The service at Bistro was very good. You may ask so why dine at Panera at all- however since it is near my office, and the other options are true fast food restaurants - it is gives me the impression of a healthier option. Sometimes if I have the time, I bring my own food- but it is nice to get out of the office!

I for one will truly miss the old Bistro menu. Wish they moved the sushi to the porch and left Bistro as is. Fortunately we are in a suite and will enjoy Lumine for lunch when it is available.

Edited by Cruise a holic

Cannot comment on the Sushi, but I know my family who enjoys sushi at Nobu and other high end sushi venues they might not like the Sushi on the ship. However, I dine at panera for lunch from time to time and the comparision of Bistro to Panera IMO isn't accurate.

My comment comparing Bistro to Panera was based on the appearance of the restaurant only, not the food. I enjoyed the food at Bistro on 5, and certainly thought it was tastier than what one might get at Panera. However, I didn't think the food was any better than what was available in the buffet, and the only reason I was willing to pay the upcharge was to escape the crowds. I would much rather have a place to get decent sushi!

My comment comparing Bistro to Panera was based on the appearance of the restaurant only, not the food. I enjoyed the food at Bistro on 5, and certainly thought it was tastier than what one might get at Panera. However, I didn't think the food was any better than what was available in the buffet, and the only reason I was willing to pay the upcharge was to escape the crowds. I would much rather have a place to get decent sushi!

Exactly and to add I felt that Bistro on 5 was great for lunch however I wouldn't consider eating dinner there over the MDR. I don't think I'm alone with that idea of thinking and that is probably why they are trying for something new. Lets face it most are ok with the buffet for breakfast and lunch. On port days lunch is skipped on the ship and eaten on shore. The only business for bistro was on sea days and embarkation. If you are on a warm weather cruise most like to eat outside and not in a dark corner mid ship. The only chance for business is at dinner time and they need to provide something not available in other dinning venues. I think Sushi is a little extreme for the general public. Those who never had sushi won't want to try it at those prices and those who are familiar with sushi will be comparing it to the price and quality at home.

Exactly and to add I felt that Bistro on 5 was great for lunch however I wouldn't consider eating dinner there over the MDR. I don't think I'm alone with that idea of thinking and that is probably why they are trying for something new. Lets face it most are ok with the buffet for breakfast and lunch. On port days lunch is skipped on the ship and eaten on shore. The only business for bistro was on sea days and embarkation. If you are on a warm weather cruise most like to eat outside and not in a dark corner mid ship. The only chance for business is at dinner time and they need to provide something not available in other dinning venues. I think Sushi is a little extreme for the general public. Those who never had sushi won't want to try it at those prices and those who are familiar with sushi will be comparing it to the price and quality at home.

Agreed. I think Bistro was trying to increase their dinner appeal with the addition of those "daily specials," which I'm sorry I never had a chance to try - they sounded good! With those additional main courses I might have chosen to eat dinner there a time or two, but clearly that was simply not a big enough inducement for most people, and I can see why - an extra $10 for beef stroganoff when you can get a much more elaborate 3-course meal in the MDR is a little hard to swallow, even if you HATE the MDR.

Does anyone else remember Silk Harvest on the first S class ships?

Wasn't that Sushi and wasn't it not successful?

:confused::confused::confused:

Silk Harvest is still on Equinox and Solstice. It's not a dedicated sushi restaurant, more of a Pan-Asian spot with lots of Chinese dishes (Americanized Chinese) and a few sushi offerings (creative/untraditional maki rolls). We went when we were on Equinox and really enjoyed it - I would much rather go there than Qsine or Lawn Club.

Hm, I thought they put it out with the tea stuff. I never checked right at 5:30, so perhaps it was there briefly, but I never saw it. We often cruised the buffet around 6 to check out the dinner offerings and it was never available then - do they normally only leave it it out for 30 minutes?

I'm not sure how long they leave the sushi out for since we usually don't eat dinner at Oceanview but I would assume it would be for more than 30 minutes. Thank you for your review and your answer.

I am really sad to hear the buffet sushi is not there, but are you positive? It was always served starting at 5:30 after the Afternoon Tea.

I can confirm that no sushi was spotted at the buffet :(. Enjoyed lunch at Sushi on 5, although we found it a bit pricey but at least it was good. I was told that the plan is open on sea days for lunch and port days starting at 3:00pm for a late lunch or snacks when you get back on board.

We had lunch at 1h45 and there were at least 40 people in the restaurant at that hour.

I can confirm that no sushi was spotted at the buffet :(. Enjoyed lunch at Sushi on 5, although we found it a bit pricey but at least it was good. I was told that the plan is open on sea days for lunch and port days starting at 3:00pm for a late lunch or snacks when you get back on board.

We had lunch at 1h45 and there were at least 40 people in the restaurant at that hour.

I do not think I have ever seen 40 people at the Bristo on 5 usually no more than a few people.

I do not think I have ever seen 40 people at the Bristo on 5 usually no more than a few people.

And that was at 1:45 when we entered. I counted (my husband thought I was nuts) but I knew it would be discussed on these boards. I'm sure there were others who went in at noon and had already left.

I can confirm that most nights around 7 we swung by because I was curious and there were always a good bunch of people, 30 to 40 most evenings at this time and likely more entered later.

Lunch for 2 cost us over $45 and we had no dessert, I can imagine with a larger appetite in the evening that dinner for 2 would easily run $60 -$70, so this is a winner for Celebrity compared to the Bistro.

And that was at 1:45 when we entered. I counted (my husband thought I was nuts) but I knew it would be discussed on these boards. I'm sure there were others who went in at noon and had already left.

I can confirm that most nights around 7 we swung by because I was curious and there were always a good bunch of people, 30 to 40 most evenings at this time and likely more entered later.

Lunch for 2 cost us over $45 and we had no dessert, I can imagine with a larger appetite in the evening that dinner for 2 would easily run $60 -$70, so this is a winner for Celebrity compared to the Bistro.

I never saw it quite that busy, but we walked by either earlier or later, mostly. I'm sure it was packed for the one Sea Day lunch - the Porch was as well.

I agree that there is much more money making potential here (although of course the ingredients for sushi cost more than for crepes). If we had paid a la carte, we would have spent close to $100 for a full dinner the first night when we were really hungry and $70 the second night when we ate a little more moderately. The question is, will cruisers pay?

Does anyone know if either the Porch or Sushi on 5 are open for lunch on embarkation day on the Reflection please? :)

The Porch is for sure - we ate there on our cruise and had a great meal (we had lunch there everyday, actually!). Sushi on 5 was NOT open at embarkation on our cruise, but supposedly they are planning to open for lunch on embarkation and all other sea days going forward. They were definitely open at embarkation on March 5 - the manager told me that they were hosting senior management for lunch that day and were hoping for a good crowd!