Explorer - Alaska - Formal Nights???

If you are asking weather to bring Formal wear.

Formal nights are the suggested dress code. I you wish you can dress in tux and long gown, no one will care. I not, just look a little nicer on the So Called "FORMAL NIGHT" and you will not be out of place.

First timers, what happens on a formal night?

While not everyone on board participates in formal nights, the whole atmosphere on the ship becomes more formal. Some, not all, people dress in formal attire such as tuxes or at least nice suits for the men and gowns for the women. There are photographers in several locations to take pictures (for a price, of course) of the guests in their formal wear.

We'll be on Explorer in Alaska (7 nights). What nights are the formal nights and when is lobster night? I want to reserve a specialty restaurant but don't want to do that and miss formal nights and lobster night in MDR.

Thanks!

We'll be on Explorer in Alaska (7 nights). What nights are the formal nights and when is lobster night? I want to reserve a specialty restaurant but don't want to do that and miss formal nights and lobster night in MDR.

Thanks!

Explorer has never done an Alaska itinerary, so we won't know these details until we get some reports back.

• 1 month later...
I have been on several RCCL cruises in the past year. Lobster is available usually on formal night, but for an extra cost or around $25-30

The extra cost lobster is available every night. The "free" lobster is usually available one night on US based cruises of 5 or more days.

I'd like to tag-along on this thread and also ask if anyone can give a personal-experience of what "smart casual" is? The official description on RCL is kind of nebulous. We're trying to minimize the number of outfits we have to pack for the cruise. With airlines constantly reducing the allowed sizes of luggage and increasing the fees for checked bags, we're trying to figure out how to pack the bare minimum for formal and "smart casual" dinners. Aside from the formal and smart casual evenings, what is the usual dress attire for the remaining dinners? Are dressed-up jeans ever allowed or is that generally frowned upon?

I'd like to tag-along on this thread and also ask if anyone can give a personal-experience of what "smart casual" is? ...Are dressed-up jeans ever allowed or is that generally frowned upon?

In my experience, despite what the website says, Smart Casual has been slowly phased out. Most of the evenings are listed as casual on any given itinerary, with some Formal Nights depending on length of cruise. There is little difference between Casual and Smart Casual for the purposes of this discussion, so feel free to wear several outfits twice and don't worry about it. Jeans are permitted anytime - they are not mentioned in the dress code and you won't have a problem wearing them into the dining room.

In my experience, despite what the website says, Smart Casual has been slowly phased out. Most of the evenings are listed as casual on any given itinerary, with some Formal Nights depending on length of cruise. There is little difference between Casual and Smart Casual for the purposes of this discussion, so feel free to wear several outfits twice and don't worry about it. Jeans are permitted anytime - they are not mentioned in the dress code and you won't have a problem wearing them into the dining room.

Thank you for this reply and information. I was originally planning on bringing a couple pairs of slacks to wear on the "Smart Casual" (previously aka semi-formal) nights. Now I'm wondering if I should just do dressed-up jeans on all the non-formal nights instead. It would cut down on the amount of clothes I need to pack. Every little bit helps in this day of reduced baggage allowances and increased checked bag fees!