Secure Travel Bag

CaptFantastic

Hi all,

I'll be on 2 cruises this year visiting Key West, Nassau, San Juan, St Thomas and St Maarten.

I was wondering if you'd recommend purchasing a secure travel bag - like a backpack or sling type bag for excursions, walking around port, etc?

I know ultimately it will depend on my comfort level, but I'd like to hear what you think, and if you have any suggestions.

Thanks,

Chris

I love my PacSafe 2000 bag. It is wire-reinforced throughout (including the strap) as well as many other safety features. It can be worn cross-body.

It has been to the Caribbean, through the Panama Canal, up to Alaska, several trips to Europe (including Suez) and Asia. It hold heaps, so be careful that your DH is not like mine and gives you all his "stuff" to carry !!!

We don't carry very much ashore...so I've never bothered with a "safe" bag... We bring 1 credit card (not the one we use on the ship), and a bit of cash. That's about it, except for personal items, like comb, lipstick, etc...

Travelon is another good brand - it's what I have now. Check the ebags . com website. I've gotten luggage, backpacks, packing cubes, purses, etc. through them and have been very satisfied with service, etc. I just checked and Travelon bags are on sale right now. :)

We don't carry very much ashore...so I've never bothered with a "safe" bag... We bring 1 credit card (not the one we use on the ship), and a bit of cash. That's about it, except for personal items, like comb, lipstick, etc...

For once, I very much agree with this poster.

Take as little as you really need. And only secure what is important.

I'll put bottles of water and snacks in a simple string pack, but ID and phones in different spots.

I have a little zippered wallet on a string that I wear cross body. The contents of that wallet are minimal - my ID, one credit card, a little cash, my phone.

I carry a small backpack for water, lip balm, map, sun screen, etc. Stuff I really won't miss. That combination has been used safely all over Europe, the Carribbean, and the US.

I love my PacSafe 2000 bag. It is wire-reinforced throughout (including the strap) as well as many other safety features. It can be worn cross-body.

It has been to the Caribbean, through the Panama Canal, up to Alaska, several trips to Europe (including Suez) and Asia. It hold heaps, so be careful that your DH is not like mine and gives you all his "stuff" to carry !!!

I love my PacSafe bag. I think they have a distinctive look to them that any experienced pickpocket will recognise, and choose an easier target instead*. :D. I also agree with the advice to only carry the absolute essentials ashore with me.

*My PacSafe is only for areas where sneaky pickpockets operate. I'd go with a concealed money belt instead, if getting mugged was a consideration.

I bought these to lock my backpack zippers together. I put them on facing down to make it even harder for someone trying to get it off and unzip my back. They clip on and then twist it to lock it. It's cheaper way to secure an existing backpack vs buying a new one.

https://www.rei.com/product/860182/nite-ize-s-biner-microlock-keychain-2-pack