How long after passports...

Jeepenfun

How long after your passport arrives does your birth certificate and other documents you sent with your application are returned? Wife got her passport 2 weeks ago and we still have not seen her original birth certificate or other original documents we sent with her application. My passport arrives in the mail tomorrow and also haven't heard anything on when our original birth certificates and marriage license will be returned.

Its also weird that her passport took 2 1/2 weeks to arrive and mine comes 2 weeks later and we sent our applications in at the same time through the post office. She changed her first name several years back through a divorce decree and birth certificate and current drivers license dont match.

Mine should have been cut and dry. and mine took longer.

I had three mailings.....

Passport

Passport Card

Old Passport Returned

I got the Passport in just shy of 3 weeks. I think it was about a week when Passport Card came and then about 7-10 days to receive my old passport.

How long after your passport arrives does your birth certificate and other documents you sent with your application are returned? Wife got her passport 2 weeks ago and we still have not seen her original birth certificate or other original documents we sent with her application. My passport arrives in the mail tomorrow and also haven't heard anything on when our original birth certificates and marriage license will be returned.

Its also weird that her passport took 2 1/2 weeks to arrive and mine comes 2 weeks later and we sent our applications in at the same time through the post office. She changed her first name several years back through a divorce decree and birth certificate and current drivers license dont match.

Typically the birth certificate and other documents arrives within a couple of days, but I've read that some people's took about a week.

Is is possible that it came and you missed it? After 2 weeks, I'd call the passport people and ask.

There's no rhyme or reason as to who gets processed first and how long it takes. My husband & I sent our applications in together, we both got our passports back the same day (different envelopes), but the accompanying documents came back about 4 days apart. When we got the kid's passports, submitted at the same time, but first one, then then other came about 5 days later.

Sometimes they arrive prior to your passport, other time it takes 6 - 8 weeks after the passport, there is no rhyme or reason to the timing.

I just renewed my daughters passport. About ten days after we received her passport I still hadn't gotten the birth certificate back, I couldn't remember how long it took to get it back when we got the original passport, so I called the office. They said it could take up to 2 weeks. Then next day our illustrious mail person delivered it to our neighbors house. It's a little disconcerting knowing that your child's birth certificate could be delivered to the wrong address. There is a tracking number on the passport , but not the birth certificate. It could just as easily been delivered across town and been used by some unscrupulous individual. I'm not sure what the answer is, but the current way of doing things is not very secure. Maybe they should make you pick everything up at the post office it was ordered from.

Edited by ATC cruiser

It should arrive within a week or two. When we applied for my son's passport he was only 8 months old. They never sent back his birth certificate.

It's a good thing I thought ahead and ordered 5 of those before we even left the hospital with him! Being a frequent traveler makes you live life a little differently sometimes!

Then next day our illustrious mail person delivered it to our neighbors house. It's a little disconcerting knowing that your child's birth certificate could be delivered to the wrong address. There is a tracking number on the passport , but not the birth certificate. It could just as easily been delivered across town and been used by some unscrupulous individual. I'm not sure what the answer is, but the current way of doing things is not very secure. Maybe they should make you pick everything up at the post office it was ordered from.

Very disconcerting. Mine son's was lost. See my post above!

It should arrive within a week or two. When we applied for my son's passport he was only 8 months old. They never sent back his birth certificate.

It's a good thing I thought ahead and ordered 5 of those before we even left the hospital with him! Being a frequent traveler makes you live life a little differently sometimes!

On the flip side of the coin, when I had to make funeral arrangements for my dear, dear late husband, I asked for a dozen death certificates. Those who were with me wondered why I asked for so many. I was happy to have them as I dealt with all the necessary details. Better to have too many copies of official documents than to not have one when needed.

We applied for first time passports in November. DH and I got ours three weeks to the day later, with birth certificates arriving the same day. DD got her birth certificate back the same day we did (she lives at a different address), but her passport never showed up, even though the post office showed it was delivered. She had to report it as lost and received her reissued passport about four weeks later.