Items left onboard returned??

ZSandy25

We just got off the Oosterdam last Monday after a lovely 21 day cruise to the Caribbean. We were in a suite (loved it), there is a window above a desk like setting that I loved sitting at, doing my make up etc. and watch the world go by.

It had a deep ledge that you could put things on to get them out of the way. I found it a great spot to lay my camera and lens. There are curtains on the window that don't open all the way so as the ledge if fully exposed. After returning home I discovered I had my camera and no telephoto lens. I know where I left it...on that ledge.

I called and reported it and was told it would take about a week to ten days to find out if it made it to the lost and found dept. If they found it they would notify me by e-mail.

We had a late flight so we stayed in our room until our color was called, we checked the drawers, closet, safe a couple of time and felt we left nothing behind.

So have any of you left something behind of value and had it returned? I trust that people are honest and will do the right thing...hopefully.

If you haven't already, file a report by clicking the Lost and Found email spot on the HAL contact site on line. It's fine to call, but not good enough. You need to get this registered.

Nothing gets sorted until it gets to Seattle (not like when you are on the ship) so yes, it takes time, but the sooner you file this the better.

If you have insurance for the trip, I would also ask if HAL can assist with that - that will help the action a bit.

But it does take time. I did have an item returned. We think it got knocked off while we were packing and hidden in the folds of the bedspread - It was definitely there when I was packing.

It appeared to be something else so it was put aside in Seattle in the wrong area. Out of the blue, I got a call from HAL asking if I could identify it and satisfied, they sent it to me priority post at their cost. DH was very happy.

So, file the report to make sure it is in writing and I wish you the best of luck.

We were happy to have this returned to us. I wish you the same.

Surely sorry that you have found yourself in this predicament! I hope it turns out well for you.

I may be obsessive in what I do before I disembark, but after I have initially packed all of my items, I repeatedly check drawers and countertops everywhere in the stateroom before I leave the cabin. And, that includes "one last sweep" before I step out the door.

Good Luck to you!

If you haven't already, file a report by clicking the Lost and Found email spot on the HAL contact site on line. It's fine to call, but not good enough. You need to get this registered.

Nothing gets sorted until it gets to Seattle (not like when you are on the ship) so yes, it takes time, but the sooner you file this the better.

If you have insurance for the trip, I would also ask if HAL can assist with that - that will help the action a bit.

But it does take time. I did have an item returned. We think it got knocked off while we were packing and hidden in the folds of the bedspread - It was definitely there when I was packing.

It appeared to be something else so it was put aside in Seattle in the wrong area. Out of the blue, I got a call from HAL asking if I could identify it and satisfied, they sent it to me priority post at their cost. DH was very happy.

So, file the report to make sure it is in writing and I wish you the best of luck.

We were happy to have this returned to us. I wish you the same.

Thank you so much for your advice, we did have trip insurance. I will be following up.

We left our camera in the dining room on the last night of our cruise several years ago, on the Westerdam.

I called and reported it and they said they would "check". I assumed I would never see it again, but I was wrong.

It came in the mail about 2 weeks later!

Hopefully, you'll have the same outcome.

Helaine

DH left one pair of his glasses in our cabin on the Carnival Conquest in December. I contacted Carnival and they have a great Lost & "Found department and sure enough, his glasses had been turned in. However, much to our surprise, our digital camera was with the glasses! We didn't even realize the camera was missing. DH had to describe photos. We received both items in the mail a few days later. One of the L & F guys said to take a photo of our cabin key card when we first board and that will verify it's our camera. I would hope that Holland America has as great a L & F department as Carnival.

Based on our experiences, you should be hopeful in getting your lens returned.

We once found someone's address book/journal in a storage area & dropped it off at the front desk where we were told that it would be send to lost and found.

Although I hate to admit this, we actually forgot to claim a garment bag in the FTL port luggage area! I felt like a real idiot calling HAL but was assured that lots of people leave things on the ship & in the luggage area. Our bag was located & arrived on our doorstep within a few weeks.

When cruising I start note in one of those 'steno-pads'. I make notes of EVERYTHING... 'things to remember' etc etc.

When packing I make a list in every suitcase... 1 tux, two black socks, etc etc. Even simple things...everything.

If you forget something then it is easy to remember where to it look for it. After the cruise... do the same in the reverse. Obviously, does not have to be in the same order but sure make things to come in mind... especially camera stuff etc.

Just as bad if a bag goes missing. Much easier to tell someone what big is missing and what is in it!

Saves a little hassle.

One cruise, I found a small item of jewellery in our stateroom safe, which I handed to the Concierge, who advised that the previous occupiers on the room would be contacted.

ZSandy, I hope your lens is returned to you.

Edited by erewhon

Good luck getting that item back.

A few years ago we took our kids on a Carnival cruise. We had two rooms. Our daughter shared a room with my niece. On our last night we checked both rooms thoroughly as I thought. There was a closet that was difficult to open (sticky). I had asked my niece did she check in there when we were giving the rooms another check over. She told me yes. When we got home there were 5 of our daughters dresses missing.....guess where they were? In that closet. Called TA and Carmival. Never heard a word back. I guess/ hope we made some little girl happy! Lesson learned. Check everything yourself!

One cruise, I found a small item of jewellery in our stateroom safe, which I handed to the Concierge, who advised that the previous occupiers on the room would be contacted.

ZSandy, I hope your lens is returned to you.

I had a similar experience. Found a credit card in the safe and gave it to the concierge. I think most people are honest so if the lens is found, it will be turned in.

One of the L & F guys said to take a photo of our cabin key card when we first board and that will verify it's our camera.
I don't have to remember to do that. On every memory card I own the first picture has my name, address, and phone number, and it is "locked" from deletion. Edited by jtl513