Cabin service only once a day??

jealdaka

I let my PVP know I don't like where this is going. Realistically what else can I do to let Carnival know? Sign up on FB to post on John Heald page?

You can take your business elsewhere and all your angst would disappear. When Carnival feels it in the pocketbook with all those abandoning ship maybe then things will be handled differently.

Do you really want to go down the Heald post road again? Don't you still have the scars to show from your last experience with that arena?

You can take your business elsewhere and all your angst would disappear. When Carnival feels it in the pocketbook with all those abandoning ship maybe then things will be handled differently.

Do you really want to go down the Heald post road again? Don't you still have the scars to show from your last experience with that arena?

I think that would be a dramatic reaction to a change; to throw away my vacation. I can tell the company representative that solicits business from me my opinion about changes. And if the changes impact me, I can stay within the company rules and guideline, and make some changes to what I am charged for service. Very simple. Not sure why you are making it out to be more than it is. But I do have to agree, when carnival feels the sting in their wallet that is when changes occur.

For the record, I have never contacted John Heald. I'm not a member of his page or website. He, or his staff, took comments I made here and fabricated whole bits to add to it. As far as I am concerned he is a loud mouthed goof ball.

I think that would be a dramatic reaction to a change; to throw away my vacation. I can tell the company representative that solicits business from me my opinion about changes. And if the changes impact me, I can stay within the company rules and guideline, and make some changes to what I am charged for service. Very simple. Not sure why you are making it out to be more than it is. But I do have to agree, when carnival feels the sting in their wallet that is when changes occur.

For the record, I have never contacted John Heald. I'm not a member of his page or website. He, or his staff, took comments I made here and fabricated whole bits to add to it. As far as I am concerned he is a loud mouthed goof ball.

You really can only reasonably make changes to "what you are charged" ONCE if indeed the standard for Carnival does go to once per day cabin service. After that the new benchmark has been set and you are fully aware of the new standard. Altering the DSC (oh, because you can ) because others lines offer a different level of service is, well, a word I shall refrain from using si that your sensibilities aren't compromised.

I never said you posted to Heald. You made that abundantly clear in recounting your plight to preserve your internet safety and purported integrity. It is interesting, however, that you would suggest others to post to Heald if you know the fallout could cause them to fear for their safety.

It boils down to this: if you don't like the way a company operates, don't patronize them. However, you choose not to take this route and openly buy the product then complain about what you get. Seems a little self-mutilating, doesn't it?

Edited by StolidCruiser

You really can only reasonably make changes to "what you are charged" ONCE if indeed the standard for Carnival does go to once per day cabin service. After that the new benchmark has been set and you are fully aware of the new standard. Altering the DSC (oh, because you can ) because others lines offer a different level of service is, well, a word I shall refrain from using si that your sensibilities aren't compromised.

I never said you posted to Heald. You made that abundantly clear in recounting your plight to preserve your internet safety and purported integrity. It is interesting, however, that you would suggest others to post to Heald if you know the fallout could cause them to fear for their safety.

It boils down to this: if you don't like the way a company operates, don't patronize them. However, you choose not to take this route and openly buy the product then complain about what you get. Seems a little self-mutilating, doesn't it?

Due to the unique way you book a cruise and the cancellation policy, you can't just say, screw this, I am not happy with that change, I will just cancel.

I can't think of another vacation that has the potential for loss a cruise does.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I'll print this so it is more satisfying to throw in the trash :D

Probably the stupidest comment I've read on Cruise Critic.

Really? Same concept as being rude and disrespectful to people serving your food in restaurants. If you have to trust someone with your belongings, the last thing you want to do is antagonize them. Common sense.

Welp, I for one, intend to leave the prepaid tips in place. I don't intend to insist on twice a day service if the steward balks. We can survive on once a day cabin service. I will make life as easy for the steward as I can while we are in that cabin. The problem is with the executive decisions. I'm not going to take my feelings for the policy out on the cabin steward. I will take my grievances to management.

I hate even posting anything, because this topic has probably been beaten to death already. No one who is on one side is going to change their minds about the issue no matter what is said. Regardless, I'm going to share my opinion.

When we go on a cruise, we really enjoy the fact that we get service twice a day. Theres just something about getting up and going to get some breakfast and coming back to your cabin with everything nice and neat for you. Its also wonderful coming back to your cabin after dinner or show and having the cabin turned down for you as well. Would it be the end of the world if we didn't have the opportunity to have both? Not really. Would it impact the cruise experience for us...even if only slightly? Yes.

In regards to what is apparently happening on the Dream, and in regards to tips...I have an opinion on that as well. It is apparently not a "policy" that it be one or the other. However when some guests are requesting both, they are being told that they can only have one or the other. Now...some people have stated that if this were to happen to them, that they would be reducing the amount of their gratuities to compensate. Tips are a touchy subject...so others rush in to defend the Stewards and say what a travesty it would be to hurt them when it isn't their fault. While I can definitely see both sides of that coin...here's how it would land in my view...

Lets say we have 2 ships in the same class. Lets say Conquest vs Freedom. Both ships offering 7 day itineraries to similar ports, at a similar cost. On one of these ships, lets say the Freedom (yes, I know neither of these ships have this program...yet), they have instituted the comfort matters program and some guests are being told they can only have service once per day. Meanwhile, over on the Conquest (remember...similar itinerary and cost), all guests are getting twice a day service...no questions asked.

Now...you have guests on one ship that are getting service twice a day, and guests on the other that are only getting service once a day. However, they all pay the exact same amount for daily gratuities. How is that right that Carnival will charge the same $3.90/day/guest (the portion of the gratuity going to the Steward) on both ships...when the level of service is literally half on the Freedom (in this example). Thats what is rubbing people wrong. It would be like two couples going to a restaurant, one gets seated on the left side of the restaurant, the other on the right. Prime Rib is on the menu on both sides of the restaurant, and the cost is the same...$25. However, the left side of the restaurant gets a 6oz steak and the right side of the restaurant gets a 12oz steak. Think that would fly?

Now...personally, if I was on a ship and was handed one of these cards, I would definitely request both AM and PM service. As I explained originally, that really is a part of the cruise experience for us (even if its a small part of it...its a part of it). If the Steward refused and said we could only have one, I would likely take it to the Hotel Manager. Now, depending on how that convo went would likely determine how I would handle it from there. If I had a Steward that was pushy and rude about me only having service one time...and I ended up having to go to the Hotel Manager about it...I honestly don't know if I want that Steward servicing my room at all. I would probably request a different Steward be assigned to my room. Auto gratuities would be left in place, and the Steward would likely get an extra $50 from us at the end of the week as is our custom.

However, I am as stubborn as a mule, and if I got any push back from the Hotel Manager regarding service only once a day...they would likely get some push right back from me. I'd tell them to put 10 bath towels, 10 hand towels, and 10 wash cloths in the room...and don't set foot in it again until we leave the room on debarkation day. I would remove all $3.90/day/guest of the auto gratuity at that point since I would not be receiving any service in my cabin whatsoever.

Now, that being said...I highly doubt it would ever come to that. But knowing how stubborn I can be, I can definitely see me reacting that way if push came to shove. Keep in mind this is the way I feel because currently Carnival has not come out and stated that the new policy is once a day. If Carnival were to come out and say "The new standard is once a day" then I would have to weigh my decision when booking the cruise knowing what I am agreeing to pay for. Currently, I am agreeing to pay $3.90/day/guest for my cabin to be serviced twice a day, and that is precisely what I would expect to receive. If the policy would be changed to once a day for the same price, I would have to decide if that is something i would want to do (I'm sure I would get over it). Knowing thats the official policy ahead of time, I would of course never expect for more service than I had agreed to and would make due with once a day service.

Again...sorry to beat the dead horse more...but thats just how I feel about it.

I hate even posting anything, because this topic has probably been beaten to death already. No one who is on one side is going to change their minds about the issue no matter what is said. Regardless, I'm going to share my opinion.

When we go on a cruise, we really enjoy the fact that we get service twice a day. Theres just something about getting up and going to get some breakfast and coming back to your cabin with everything nice and neat for you. Its also wonderful coming back to your cabin after dinner or show and having the cabin turned down for you as well. Would it be the end of the world if we didn't have the opportunity to have both? Not really. Would it impact the cruise experience for us...even if only slightly? Yes.

In regards to what is apparently happening on the Dream, and in regards to tips...I have an opinion on that as well. It is apparently not a "policy" that it be one or the other. However when some guests are requesting both, they are being told that they can only have one or the other. Now...some people have stated that if this were to happen to them, that they would be reducing the amount of their gratuities to compensate. Tips are a touchy subject...so others rush in to defend the Stewards and say what a travesty it would be to hurt them when it isn't their fault. While I can definitely see both sides of that coin...here's how it would land in my view...

Lets say we have 2 ships in the same class. Lets say Conquest vs Freedom. Both ships offering 7 day itineraries to similar ports, at a similar cost. On one of these ships, lets say the Freedom (yes, I know neither of these ships have this program...yet), they have instituted the comfort matters program and some guests are being told they can only have service once per day. Meanwhile, over on the Conquest (remember...similar itinerary and cost), all guests are getting twice a day service...no questions asked.

Now...you have guests on one ship that are getting service twice a day, and guests on the other that are only getting service once a day. However, they all pay the exact same amount for daily gratuities. How is that right that Carnival will charge the same $3.90/day/guest (the portion of the gratuity going to the Steward) on both ships...when the level of service is literally half on the Freedom (in this example). Thats what is rubbing people wrong. It would be like two couples going to a restaurant, one gets seated on the left side of the restaurant, the other on the right. Prime Rib is on the menu on both sides of the restaurant, and the cost is the same...$25. However, the left side of the restaurant gets a 6oz steak and the right side of the restaurant gets a 12oz steak. Think that would fly?

Now...personally, if I was on a ship and was handed one of these cards, I would definitely request both AM and PM service. As I explained originally, that really is a part of the cruise experience for us (even if its a small part of it...its a part of it). If the Steward refused and said we could only have one, I would likely take it to the Hotel Manager. Now, depending on how that convo went would likely determine how I would handle it from there. If I had a Steward that was pushy and rude about me only having service one time...and I ended up having to go to the Hotel Manager about it...I honestly don't know if I want that Steward servicing my room at all. I would probably request a different Steward be assigned to my room. Auto gratuities would be left in place, and the Steward would likely get an extra $50 from us at the end of the week as is our custom.

However, I am as stubborn as a mule, and if I got any push back from the Hotel Manager regarding service only once a day...they would likely get some push right back from me. I'd tell them to put 10 bath towels, 10 hand towels, and 10 wash cloths in the room...and don't set foot in it again until we leave the room on debarkation day. I would remove all $3.90/day/guest of the auto gratuity at that point since I would not be receiving any service in my cabin whatsoever.

Now, that being said...I highly doubt it would ever come to that. But knowing how stubborn I can be, I can definitely see me reacting that way if push came to shove. Keep in mind this is the way I feel because currently Carnival has not come out and stated that the new policy is once a day. If Carnival were to come out and say "The new standard is once a day" then I would have to weigh my decision when booking the cruise knowing what I am agreeing to pay for. Currently, I am agreeing to pay $3.90/day/guest for my cabin to be serviced twice a day, and that is precisely what I would expect to receive. If the policy would be changed to once a day for the same price, I would have to decide if that is something i would want to do (I'm sure I would get over it). Knowing thats the official policy ahead of time, I would of course never expect for more service than I had agreed to and would make due with once a day service.

Talk with the wallet. They will get the idea at some point. Or all the cabin boys will go elsewhere.

I totally understand. I would hope that after this experience though, instead of continuing to book with CCL for your cruises, you would leave for another line. Showing your dislike of this lack of service by cutting tips hurts no one but the steward. If you want to get the cruise line's attention, you have to write them a letter and explain that your future cruises will be with other lines and then tell them why.

Unless you and others who aren't happy about this situation do that, CCL will keep cutting away.

Edited by halos

Welp, I for one, intend to leave the prepaid tips in place. I don't intend to insist on twice a day service if the steward balks. We can survive on once a day cabin service. I will make life as easy for the steward as I can while we are in that cabin. The problem is with the executive decisions. I'm not going to take my feelings for the policy out on the cabin steward. I will take my grievances to management.
so, if its once a day, do you still get towel animals in the morning ? Or is that another cut back that comes with the once a day service ? Goodness, I already got flamed for observing that tablecloths are no longer used every night in the formal dining room, "let the flaming begin" because I dared ask about towel animals !! <gasp> Edited by CruisinHelloKitty

Now...you have guests on one ship that are getting service twice a day, and guests on the other that are only getting service once a day. However, they all pay the exact same amount for daily gratuities. How is that right that Carnival will charge the same $3.90/day/guest (the portion of the gratuity going to the Steward) on both ships...when the level of service is literally half on the Freedom (in this example). Thats what is rubbing people wrong. It would be like two couples going to a restaurant, one gets seated on the left side of the restaurant, the other on the right. Prime Rib is on the menu on both sides of the restaurant, and the cost is the same...$25. However, the left side of the restaurant gets a 6oz steak and the right side of the restaurant gets a 12oz steak.

I agree with you 100%! Perfect analogy.

Due to the unique way you book a cruise and the cancellation policy, you can't just say, screw this, I am not happy with that change, I will just cancel.

I can't think of another vacation that has the potential for loss a cruise does.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

good point

While I certainly have a great appreciation for the amount of work stewards, and most of the crew, have to do, I disagree with some people's stance on feeling it mandatory to tip the same amount for less service.

When I go out to eat, unless service is abysmal and a direct result of the server, I tip at least 20% as I'm sure (and hope) most of you do. But if I went to a restaurant and was told that due to budgetary cutbacks, the server could only fill my water glass once, that I would need to go to the kitchen to get my own entree, and that I needed to help him bring my dishes back when I was done eating, I can assure you that not only would I not go to this restaurant any more, but I would adjust my gratuity accordingly. While this might be an exaggerated analogy, it isn't too far off when you consider getting half the service that was expected.

It certainly isn't the stewards fault, but it isn't mine either. Gratuity is an extra thank you for a certain level of service done well. I'm not paying them for the work they do outside of my room. And while their tips are clearly a large portion of their wages, again it's not my job to subsidize what the employer cuts back.

Hopefully I won't have to worry about this on the Conquest in May. While I wouldn't remove the auto-gratuity or lower it just because of this, I would be hesitant to tip any additional unless the rest of the service was above and beyond.

I also disagree with people saying auto-tips should be mandatory and not removable. While it certainly sucks that cheap skates would refuse to tip even for good and complete service, I refuse to not have the ability to adjust it if necessary (e.g. a major service problem). When 'tipping' is no longer 'tipping' and people can expect it regardless of what they provide, and with little to no recourse for poor performance, then service levels will certainly suffer overall. While I have very little personal cruise experience (only once before have I done one), the service level provided by the crew is generally over the top. This isn't because of some overwhelming desire to please, though I'm sure some people are generally outgoing in this regard. It's because they want/need the tips and show this in their service.

Regarding people having issues with the added tips and how they are disbursed, specifically in regards to Carnival taking a cut, wouldn't it be better to just have everything removed from your bill and tip the prorated amount yourself to each person directly? In other words, if stewards are supposed to make $1.75/day/person, just have guest services charge $0 and pay them that in cash?

Edited by enki

While I certainly have a great appreciation for the amount of work stewards, and most of the crew, have to do, I disagree with some people's stance on feeling it mandatory to tip the same amount for less service.

When I go out to eat, unless service is abysmal and a direct result of the server, I tip at least 20% as I'm sure (and hope) most of you do. But if I went to a restaurant and was told that due to budgetary cutbacks, the server could only fill my water glass once, that I would need to go to the kitchen to get my own entree, and that I needed to help him bring my dishes back when I was done eating, I can assure you that not only would I not go to this restaurant any more, but I would adjust my gratuity accordingly. While this might be an exaggerated analogy, it isn't too far off when you consider getting half the service that was expected.

It certainly isn't the stewards fault, but it isn't mine either. Gratuity is an extra thank you for a certain level of service done well. I'm not paying them for the work they do outside of my room. And while their tips are clearly a large portion of their wages, again it's not my job to subsidize what the employer cuts back.

Hopefully I won't have to worry about this on the Conquest in May. While I wouldn't remove the auto-gratuity or lower it just because of this, I would be hesitant to tip any additional unless the rest of the service was above and beyond.

I also disagree with people saying auto-tips should be mandatory and not removable. While it certainly sucks that cheap skates would refuse to tip even for good and complete service, I refuse to not have the ability to adjust it if necessary (e.g. a major service problem). When 'tipping' is no longer 'tipping' and people can expect it regardless of what they provide, and with little to no recourse for poor performance, then service levels will certainly suffer overall. While I have very little personal cruise experience (only once before have I done one), the service level provided by the crew is generally over the top. This isn't because of some overwhelming desire to please, though I'm sure some people are generally outgoing in this regard. It's because they want/need the tips and show this in their service.

Regarding people having issues with the added tips and how they are disbursed, wouldn't it be better to just have everything removed from your bill and tip the prorated amount yourself to each person directly? In other words, if stewards are supposed to make $1.75/day/person, just have guest services charge $0 and pay them that in cash?

. I agree 100%

so, if its once a day, do you still get towel animals in the morning ? Or is that another cut back that comes with the once a day service ? Goodness, I already got flamed for observing that tablecloths are no longer used every night in the formal dining room, "let the flaming begin" because I dared ask about towel animals !! <gasp>

Well I'm not going to flame you. I suppose the stewards enjoy making the towel animals, too. :D

If they are asking for a choice, why press for both? Good grief they have basically double the workload and instead of being sympathetic, you still press to get your own way despite it being a known policy change. ***. These poor stewards are doing the best they can. I don't see it as him "shaming" you into anything, it was the poor man pleading for a little compassion.

Ugh.

I would press for both too. I prefer getting my bed made in the morning and the cabin cleaned and the bed turned down every night and the room made neat. I'm not a messy person so there isn't much to do. I look forward to that service. I am also a good tipper. I don't contribute to the auto tips I do them myself and it's a lot more than the auto!!!!!

Just back home from the Victory today. Our experience with the new cabin service policy. Our room steward met us outside the room and asked us the first day if we wanted morning or evening service. He said exactly that once a day service was a new thing Carnival was trying. When I had read this debate on here I didn't realize how much this would affect our enjoyment of our cruise.

I was in a three person room with a trundle bed. Room service once a day meant that they did not put the trundle bed away at all. It was out in the middle of the inside room we were sharing all day.

Not having service more than once a day many that we (three girls one a teenager) were reusing towels which sometimes were not dry after returning from Port and wanting to get ready for dinner.

We did have towel animals in the mornings with our service.