Cabin service only once a day??

jealdaka

My next cruise same ship same itinerary is 20% cheaper. I'm happy [emoji6]

And my cabin will be serviced twice daily or the stewards portion gets chopped. Capiche?

This! So tired of hearing about the stewards salaries. This is not what this thread is about. It is about being told one thing (you can chose both) and then being told another (can only chose one) while on board. On my next cruise, if I am told I can only chose one, I will certainly go above the stewards head. And, if necessary, I will cut my tips.

I am not cheap, in fact we usually tip extra to the steward, however if I am told I am paying tips for twice a day service, then I will get twice a day service. When in a restaurant you tip on how good the service is and the total of the bill. If a waitress told me that she was too busy handling more tables and I would have to get my refills myself or she could only come by my table when she serves my food and no other time, then I can guarantee you that I would cut her tips.

If the company policy is you can chose both and the steward says no, then you bet the tips get cut. If the steward is trying to make less work for himself then he will lose out on some tips. If the policy is not communicated correctly to the ships and stewards then that is a company issue, not my issue.

This inconsistency is what is the most frustrating. What do you do? Print a post from JH stating you can chose both? Would that make a difference?

I'm one of those, because Ive always tipped in cash.

But carnival in no way wants to add that amount to their fares. Bin fact that's why they are trying to get more things into the sail and sign card, just to make you think you are getting a great fare. The dirty secret is, once you add fare, tax port and on board expenses, you are paying about twice your fare.

So basically your taking it out on hard working crew because of your lack of budgeting and reading skills. No secret. When you book your given the option to add gratuities. Or did you skip over that part?

We're going on the Dream in April and I don't expect to fight with the steward if I choose both AM and PM (which I intend to). If the steward insists it's one or the other and a call to the Head Housekeeper doesn't take care of it then I will not tip above what I've already pre-paid. I won't pull the "suggested" tips as I do recognize that is the bulk of their salary.

Newsflash, Dream is one of the ships where once a day service has been done. No need to fight with the steward, its already going to be in writing in the documentation you get when you arrive in your room!

I am not cheap, in fact we usually tip extra to the steward, however if I am told I am paying tips for twice a day service, then I will get twice a day service. When in a restaurant you tip on how good the service is and the total of the bill. If a waitress told me that she was too busy handling more tables and I would have to get my refills myself or she could only come by my table when she serves my food and no other time, then I can guarantee you that I would cut her tips.

If the company policy is you can chose both and the steward says no, then you bet the tips get cut. If the steward is trying to make less work for himself then he will lose out on some tips. If the policy is not communicated correctly to the ships and stewards then that is a company issue, not my issue.

This inconsistency is what is the most frustrating. What do you do? Print a post from JH stating you can chose both? Would that make a difference?

Who told you that your tips are paying for twice a day service? Was that in writing anywhere? I only know the gratuities indicate they are extended "to the shipboard staff for their services." NO WHERE in the contract or on Carnival webpage or documentation does it ever say the grats are for twice a day service. So it really isnt "policy" for twice a day service.

Edited by Savlamara

Who told you that your tips are paying for twice a day service? Was that in writing anywhere? I only know the gratuities indicate they are extended "to the shipboard staff for their services." NO WHERE in the contract or on Carnival webpage or documentation does it ever say the grats are for twice a day service. So it really isnt "policy" for twice a day service.

In 30 or so cruises with CCL over the past 20 years we have always gotten twice a day service and as far as we are concerned that is what we expect in paying the autotips.

If we are forced into once a day service we will continue to cruise with Carnival but think it is reasonable to adjust the autotip by some amount. Not by half as the steward will spend some amount above 50% of his previous time servicing our cabin.

So basically your taking it out on hard working crew because of your lack of budgeting and reading skills. No secret. When you book your given the option to add gratuities. Or did you skip over that part?

Newsflash, Dream is one of the ships where once a day service has been done. No need to fight with the steward, its already going to be in writing in the documentation you get when you arrive in your room!

Reading comprehension is not your strong suit, is it? Re-read my post.

Curious, two different thread and two different stories. First you say you talked to three different stewards and in a previous thread you said you only talked to one and would have liked to talk to more.

Which is correct? Sorry, but this just makes me not want to believe either one.

Re-read my posts more slowly and carefully and all should become clear to you.

I actually spoke with 4 stewards, each giving varying degrees of info. 1 only said what they currently service and what they are servicing next week. 3 said what they currently service and what they will be servicing when the new forms/change is made. Of those 3, 1 of them I had the lengthy conversation with who gave additional info about how much they actually receive from the auto-gratuities, among other things.

Since 3 stewards each told me independently that they will be servicing 35-38 cabins in the future, I believe it to be true. Only 1 of the 3 stewards also gave me the additional info. I do believe they were being truthful, but I did only hear that part from 1 of them. Given the opportunity, I would have liked to have had the additional info given from the last steward confirmed by others, but didn't have the time or opportunity because it was the end of the week.

Make sense now ?

We just got off a cruise this past week. Our ship did not have the new forms yet, so our service was just as wonderful as it has always been.

We were with a huge group, so during the course of the week, I had the opportunity to have a conversation with three different room stewards from different areas and decks on the ship, in addition to our room steward. Our room steward did not give me much information as she was about to move to servicing suites and I asked early in the week before I thought to ask about once the new forms came out. But when I asked, she did say on my cruise she was servicing 26 cabins but next week she would be servicing 22 because she was moving to suites.

However, the other three stewards independently all said they currently service 25-27 cabins, depending on the week, but when the change is made they will be servicing 35-38 cabins.

Interestingly, I had a lengthy conversation with one of the stewards (not for my cabin) about that and they gave even more info about the tips they receive. They told me that from the auto-gratuity we give, they only receive $1.50 and their assistant receives $0.75 per day. They said they think Carnival keeps the rest. I was sure that I had read here on CC a breakdown of the gratuity that $3.90 per day goes to the room stewards ?? They said the same thing happens with the dining staff, they dont get it all and they think that Carnival keeps $2 of that. This was eye opening and disturbing to me. . . . .

If you will notice, in this post I was responding to another poster who responded to me about my previous post. We were only speaking about the 1 steward that gave the additional info, not speaking about any of the others...

. . . It was near the end of the cruise, but given the opportunity, I would have liked to have had a similar conversation with others to get confirmation from more than one person how much they actually receive from the auto-gratuities. Not that I think they were not being truthful to me, but I always like to hear it from more than one. . . .

When reading threads, If you click the little > symbol next to the user name Originally Posted by username >, it will take you to the previous post that is being quoted. In this way, you can follow the conversation one by one to the beginning one that is being quoted.

Edited by angela12345

The "policy" is whatever the customer wants it to be. Reasonable, unreasonable, whatever. They may or may not agree to the customer's requests and that is OK too. I expect 2x day cabin servicing. I don't really care what anyone else expects.

It is customary to extend gratuities (tips) to the shipboard staff for their services. How much to tip is a personal matter and completely up to our guests.

Should a guest not be satisfied with the service they receive, they can contact the Guest Services desk while onboard. This will allow us to address their concerns in a timely and appropriate fashion. At the discretion of the guest, they may adjust the gratuities at any time while onboard. Gratuities will be deemed undisputed unless a request to modify is received prior to disembarking the ship.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1123

My next cruise same ship same itinerary is 20% cheaper. I'm happy [emoji6]

And my cabin will be serviced twice daily or the stewards portion gets chopped. Capiche?

I like my cabin serviced twice a day too and I like my ice bucket kept full. Thats what Im use to on Royal Caribbean and thats what I had the last time i cruised Carnival. If I am only going to get service once a day then I agree that the stewards portion should be cut some or at the very least, no extra given. I will probably just not give extra instead of dealing with Guest Services trying to reduce gratuities but I do understand why others would.

If the cheerleaders and excuse makers here dont like that, sue me! IDGAS what they think!

Edited by ryano

Carnival institutes bad policy to save a few bucks. Creates bad customer experience. Over works stewards and undermines their pay structure. People rush to vehemently defend Carnival actions.

Is that the cliff notes properly?

I keep seeing it thrown about people refuse to pay "full price" for "half service." How about you all call Carnival and tell THEM that you will only pay half of the cruise fare? See how that goes for you... Its obvious the people complaining are using the poor stewards as the scapegoat when they should be calling Carnival and complaining. Half service is only being provided meals half of the day or entrance to your room. Going fron twice a day to once is NOT half service especially when its not written ANYWHERE not on their website or in any documentation that its policy to get such service twice. You people are being so extreme its ridiculous. Once again taking it out on the wrong people.

If I go into a restaurant and they stop serving something I used to order all the time I have 2 choices, pick something else or go to another restaurant. You dont sit in the restaurant and DEMAND that you get what you want. Just like you dont go into a restaurant and because you spent more then you thought on the food you stiff the waiter. Its just WRONG.

Nothing is wrong with complaining but you are taking it out on the WRONG PEOPLE. The stewards probably hear it all day and they cant do anything it. They arent going to be heard by Carnival. How about calling Carnival up and voicing your concerns? Writing them a letter? Post on their social media boards with your complaints so its visible to people who actually can make change??? The bitching and moanin to the stewards (and even guest services for that matter) just hold them up from doing their already hard jobs.

Some say you can chose both day/night and some say its only once a day. Its already been established that they pilot things on some ships. This is the same thing that happened with the American Feast/Table, everyone was in an uproar and it STILL started spreading fleetwide.

I STILL blame carnival for not letting people know ahead of time that their sailing will be one where its being piloted. But then again many dont even read their contract oremails before the cruise so that would probably be ignored heavily as well.

I'm one of those, because Ive always tipped in cash.

But carnival in no way wants to add that amount to their fares. Bin fact that's why they are trying to get more things into the sail and sign card, just to make you think you are getting a great fare. The dirty secret is, once you add fare, tax port and on board expenses, you are paying about twice your fare.

Carnival already does this in Australia. We are not a tipping culture, so it is just built into the fare. It's not listed as gratuities, you can't take it off, it's just all one fare. The price listed is the price you pay.

I keep seeing it thrown about people refuse to pay "full price" for "half service." How about you all call Carnival and tell THEM that you will only pay half of the cruise fare? See how that goes for you... Its obvious the people complaining are using the poor stewards as the scapegoat when they should be calling Carnival and complaining. Half service is only being provided meals half of the day or entrance to your room. Going fron twice a day to once is NOT half service especially when its not written ANYWHERE not on their website or in any documentation that its policy to get such service twice.

The problem with your analogy is that tipping is solely at the discretion of the customer, as are the service expectations. This is according to Carnival's own literature. Carnival created this situation, not the customer.

Carnival's model is to let the guest expect and tip whatever they want to. I don't know what your expectations are, and frankly, don't care. Each person has to decide these issues on his or her own.

Should a guest not be satisfied with the service they receive, they can contact the Guest Services desk while onboard. This will allow us to address their concerns in a timely and appropriate fashion. At the discretion of the guest, they may adjust the gratuities at any time while onboard. Gratuities will be deemed undisputed unless a request to modify is received prior to disembarking the ship.

I keep seeing it thrown about people refuse to pay "full price" for "half service." How about you all call Carnival and tell THEM that you will only pay half of the cruise fare? See how that goes for you... Its obvious the people complaining are using the poor stewards as the scapegoat when they should be calling Carnival and complaining. Half service is only being provided meals half of the day or entrance to your room. Going fron twice a day to once is NOT half service especially when its not written ANYWHERE not on their website or in any documentation that its policy to get such service twice. You people are being so extreme its ridiculous. Once again taking it out on the wrong people.

If I go into a restaurant and they stop serving something I used to order all the time I have 2 choices, pick something else or go to another restaurant. You dont sit in the restaurant and DEMAND that you get what you want. Just like you dont go into a restaurant and because you spent more then you thought on the food you stiff the waiter. Its just WRONG.

Nothing is wrong with complaining but you are taking it out on the WRONG PEOPLE. The stewards probably hear it all day and they cant do anything it. They arent going to be heard by Carnival. How about calling Carnival up and voicing your concerns? Writing them a letter? Post on their social media boards with your complaints so its visible to people who actually can make change??? The bitching and moanin to the stewards (and even guest services for that matter) just hold them up from doing their already hard jobs.

Some say you can chose both day/night and some say its only once a day. Its already been established that they pilot things on some ships. This is the same thing that happened with the American Feast/Table, everyone was in an uproar and it STILL started spreading fleetwide.

I STILL blame carnival for not letting people know ahead of time that their sailing will be one where its being piloted. But then again many dont even read their contract oremails before the cruise so that would probably be ignored heavily as well.

It has been stated many times by John Heald on his Facebook page that the choice is up to the passenger (AM/PM or both). I believe this was instituted because some people like to sleep in and don't want to hear the knock on the door before noon. Unfortunately, the Dream (one of the test platforms) is reading the guidance to mean one or the other...not both. This is probably the result of a poorly worded "card" that the steward fills out based on the wishes of the passenger.

Trust me...if I don't get the two I will write Carnival corporate to inquire about it. I should add that I'm not a fan of screwing over the staff onboard. I will continue with my pre-paid tips but in the case of the stewards I wouldn't add to it as I normally do.

Edited by Cushing985

Actually I haven't received any emails concerning the pilot program onboard the Dream. I found out about it on this site and also Heald's Facebook page (where he explained the program).

I love this - where in writing in any of the documentation you get when you arrive in your room does it say that it is policy to only service your room once a day?

The "policy" is whatever the customer wants it to be. Reasonable, unreasonable, whatever. They may or may not agree to the customer's requests and that is OK too. I expect 2x day cabin servicing. I don't really care what anyone else expects.

Keep thinking that. Insert <disappointment> here.

I dont know any "business" where you walk in and make your own rules. So live in your own delusional world. Say hi to the unicorns as they fly by...

Carnival institutes bad policy to save a few bucks. Creates bad customer experience. Over works stewards and undermines their pay structure. People rush to vehemently defend Carnival actions.

Is that the cliff notes properly?

I have yet to defend Carnival in this debate. I am only defending the workers who dont seem to have a voice in the matter and are bearing the full force of the aggression. I keep saying over and over the blame is going to the wrong party.

I love this - where in writing in any of the documentation you get when you arrive in your room does it say that it is policy to only service your room once a day?

We got the card the first day on the Ecstasy in November. It said please chose a timeslot for daily service. we checked our preference and handed it to the steward. Thats "documentation."

Yeah...John Heald's Facebook page (and he is the Corporate spokesman) specifically stated you can choose AM or PM or both. He also stated the card the stewards use to record the wishes of the passenger is poorly worded and a "fix" is in the works. Unfortunately, that leaves the passenger and the steward at odds. Not fair to either. How much trouble would it be for Heald or someone else of authority to contact the Dream and spell out the program?

If I go into a restaurant and they stop serving something I used to order all the time I have 2 choices, pick something else or go to another restaurant. You dont sit in the restaurant and DEMAND that you get what you want. Just like you dont go into a restaurant and because you spent more then you thought on the food you stiff the waiter. Its just WRONG. Apples and oranges here. Comparing taking something off the menu is totally different.

Nothing is wrong with complaining but you are taking it out on the WRONG PEOPLE. The stewards probably hear it all day and they cant do anything it. They arent going to be heard by Carnival. How about calling Carnival up and voicing your concerns? Writing them a letter? Post on their social media boards with your complaints so its visible to people who actually can make change??? The bitching and moanin to the stewards (and even guest services for that matter) just hold them up from doing their already hard jobs. Not sure how you get this? There is NO POLICY stating that you have to chose AM OR PM. It has been clearly noted that you can have both. The problem comes when the steward tells you that you cannot have both. That is a LIE! If a steward lies to me, then you bet I'm going to not only go over his head but he will probably lose some of the extra tip money. If he refuses to do my room twice a day then he will probably lose some of the automatic tips too. This is what you seem to not understand. If Carnival is not communicating the fact that both services can be chosen, then that is on them not me. It is not my responsibility, nor my fault if they are wrong.

Yes, it does come down to Carnival not making sure that all stewards and housekeeping know that both AM and PM are allowed. Again, not my problem. I agree with the philosophy of the card as many people don't care if they get twice daily service or robes or extra towels or ice. Honestly, even though some people here hate JH, I will take his word over the stewards in a heartbeat.

I believe this was instituted because some people like to sleep in and don't want to hear the knock on the door before noon.

I believe that is why we are given a door hanger card that says "snoozin" so we won't be disturbed. The purpose of this program is to reduce labor cost to the cruise line, nothing more nor less. Less service= less staff.

I let my PVP know I don't like where this is going. Realistically what else can I do to let Carnival know? Sign up on FB to post on John Heald page?

I believe that is why we are given a door hanger card that says "snoozin" so we won't be disturbed. The purpose of this program is to reduce labor cost to the cruise line, nothing more nor less. Less service= less staff.

I do believe you hit the nail on the head with this one! I hear the line, "do more with less".

Keep thinking that. Insert <disappointment> here.

I dont know any "business" where you walk in and make your own rules. So live in your own delusional world. Say hi to the unicorns as they fly by...

Any industry that involves discretionary tipping. The customer gets to set their own expectations and tip accordingly.

It is customary to extend gratuities (tips) to the shipboard staff for their services. How much to tip is a personal matter and completely up to our guests.
(emphasis added)

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/category/c/475,481

Edited by Cruise, J.D.