Cabin service only once a day??

jealdaka

If they are asking for a choice, why press for both? Good grief they have basically double the workload and instead of being sympathetic, you still press to get your own way despite it being a known policy change. ***. These poor stewards are doing the best they can. I don't see it as him "shaming" you into anything, it was the poor man pleading for a little compassion.

Ugh.

Actually john heald himself has said that there it is not once a day service. And has said that the form allows you to pick one or the other OR both.

Why press for both? Because the company says you can have both. It isn't up to the steward to decide that for you. Now if the company said they were only allowing once a day and you pushed for twice that would be different.

And as far as feeling bad for the crew, everyone in life makes choices. If I don't like my job or I feel I am being mistreated I have the option to leave and find something else just as they do.

The COMPANY made it known in writing they are changing things. You aren't listening to the stewards complaints, they are just reiterating what the COMPANY already stated in writing. You are obviously one of those that looks at people in the service industry as beneath you.

The COMPANY via their brand spokesperson has said service is twice a day unless you select otherwise. So no the steward isn't reiterating what the company has said. They are pushing their own wants if they are saying you can only have once a day service.

The COMPANY via their brand spokesperson has said service is twice a day unless you select otherwise. So no the steward isn't reiterating what the company has said. They are pushing their own wants if they are saying you can only have once a day service.

If you take John Heald as gospel, good luck to you. It's already been proven that he only asks questions and are sometimes less informed then those here on CC. We already know it's being piloted on some ships once a day service. If the card doesn't say BOTH, then you are asked to choose. I got this card on our cruise in November just a few months ago. We chose one service and kept it moving. When it becomes mandatory on All ships for once a day you can either accept it or take your service elsewhere. Taking it out on the crew and blaming it on "bad choices in life" is not only insensitive, but asinine. People can't help where they were born. Good grief.

If you take John Heald as gospel, good luck to you. It's already been proven that he only asks questions and are sometimes less informed then those here on CC. We already know it's being piloted on some ships once a day service. If the card doesn't say BOTH, then you are asked to choose. I got this card on our cruise in November just a few months ago. We chose one service and kept it moving. When it becomes mandatory on All ships for once a day you can either accept it or take your service elsewhere. Taking it out on the crew and blaming it on "bad choices in life" is not only insensitive, but asinine. People can't help where they were born. Good grief.

I'm not sure what the last part of your statement has to do with anything. No one said anything about bad choices or where people are born. But we all have a choice on where we work. Don't like it then you have the choice to work elsewhere correct?

It doesn't matter if you believe jh knows anything. He is the brand spokesperson and he says there are no ships with only once a day service. Until that changes everyone has the option to have either once or twice a day room service. Doesn't matter what the steward wants or thinks is acceptable. It isn't their decision to make. And using the options that the company says you have is not "taking it out" on the crew.

Steward introduced himself (Jono, Cove balcony 2248) and asked me if I wanted 'morning or evening'. I said I'd like both. He replied "Miss, you may not know, I used to have 26 cabins to take care of and now I have 35. I cannot do everyone." As I commiserated with him about the amount of work, he said this would probably be his last contract with Carnival...

If it weren't his last contract it certainly is now!

How many people have bosses who keep expecting more out of you Will customers expect less service?

Sorry but dont think we should just be sheep and go along and be satisfied with less service.

Thank you for saying this Stu.

As is usual with me, I hate when things change, but have learned that it is a fact of life, and as I push into my senior years, am finding change harder to deal with, but also realising that you cant fight it. Fact of life.

When I first heard of this, of course I did not like it. But then, when I thought about it, I realised that it really did not make a lot of difference if I got the room serviced once a day or twice. I travel solo, don't make a lot of mess, or untidiness. I have never been bothered by room stewards waking me in the am, and I rarely encounter them on the evening turndown service, as I am usually out of the cabin at those times.

I can certainly straighten my bed in the am, or leave it un done. Wont bother me. I don't need towels replaced more than once a day, so, having thought about this,I am willing to accept once a day room steward service in the evening. But am hoping that I can also ask for an ice bucket filled with ice on that evening service as well. If that works, then it works for me, and a friendly steward might also reap an extra tip at end of cruise.

If they wont give me an ice bucket in the evening, with ice, with my once a day room steward service, then, I will probably not be completely happy, but will leave my auto tips in place of course, but there will certainly not be any extras left on the last evening.

either way, I will not let it ruin my cruise. Will see how it goes in Sept.

Edited by SMSACE6

Keep in mind they are in that cabin alone with your belongings. The last thing you want is a deeply resentful person alone with your toothbrush and a toilet. 😡😳. I'm just saying. Who the heck would know unless there are closed circuit cameras in each cabin. 😋

Can I ask a stupid question?

What are the benefits to having the room serviced twice a day? I'm used to once a day service, in the AM, like when staying at a hotel; they come along, and change the sheets, and remake the bed, and restock any towels or shampoos, and soaps.

Am I missing something here?

If they are asking for a choice, why press for both? Good grief they have basically double the workload and instead of being sympathetic, you still press to get your own way despite it being a known policy change. ***. These poor stewards are doing the best they can. I don't see it as him "shaming" you into anything, it was the poor man pleading for a little compassion.

Ugh.

You must be kidding.

According to John Heald everyone can still have twice a day. There is no policy change. Comfort Matters selections just allow people to tailor and specify what they like.

Besides, it's not the paying guests fault if Carnival reduced the number of stewards and doubled the workload.

Give me a break :rolleyes:

I'm thinking that if he is getting more cabins then he is getting more in gratuities right. a percentage of every cabins tips go to the Steward, so he will be making more for covering more rooms.

Keep in mind they are in that cabin alone with your belongings. The last thing you want is a deeply resentful person alone with your toothbrush and a toilet. 😡😳. I'm just saying. Who the heck would know unless there are closed circuit cameras in each cabin. 😋

Probably the stupidest comment I've read on Cruise Critic.

Some ships, including Dream and Triumph, are testing a new program. Your steward gives you a card, on which you select your preferences. This includes whether you want morning or evening service. According to Carnival, you can still request both services by checking both boxes. However, it has been repeatedly reported that SOME stewards on these ships are telling guests that they can only have one daily room service.

Carnival spokesman John Heald has been stating since fall that the cards will be changed to clarify that "both" is an option; however, that change has not happened yet.

The New form arrived, and true to Carnival form, it still does not have both on it. When someone pointed this out to John Heald, he got silent on the subject, and then produced a jpg that showed both. Yet the physical printed form was right there in someone's hand. So we are being hosed once again.

And you think someone would risk their job to do something so petty? These aren't teenagers they are adults supporting themselves and oftentimes their family.

Oh my. Can't wait for John to answer this one AGAIN on face book. The service can be whatever you want. Check both boxes or better yet talk to your steward and tell him exactly what you want

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And people are STILL stating they are told that is wrong; it's one or the other.

By their own stewards.

Can I ask a stupid question?

What are the benefits to having the room serviced twice a day? I'm used to once a day service, in the AM, like when staying at a hotel; they come along, and change the sheets, and remake the bed, and restock any towels or shampoos, and soaps.

Am I missing something here?

I can't speak for others, but for myself and my family; I often shower more often on vacation than I do at home. Having fresh towels in the morning and evening is essential. There is simply not enough time for towels to dry adequately between usage. I may shower 3X daily on vacation.

It is also nice to have fresh ice always ready and not just an ice dish of cold water.

We're generally pretty neat and don't eat in the room, so no "heavy cleaning" is required. But a key point of cruising is that seemingly magical service that whenever you leave your room, you return and it is "reset".

If I wanted a hotel experience I'd stay in a hotel where I pay one room rate regardless of the number of people, have a much bigger room, and generally go off property for dining and entertainment. It's just two different experiences that aren't really comparable.

Chalk up my vote firmly in the "I like how it has been done, and I am paying for that. If I don't get it, I won't pay the full price." And believe me, I'd prefer to pay the full price and get the service. Withholding a few dollars a day from Carnival's Accounting Department is of small consolation when I get out of a shower to an already wet towel...

The New form arrived, and true to Carnival form, it still does not have both on it. When someone pointed this out to John Heald, he got silent on the subject, and then produced a jpg that showed both. Yet the physical printed form was right there in someone's hand. So we are being hosed once again.

I'd love to even see a jpg of this "new" form.

I can't speak for others, but for myself and my family; I often shower more often on vacation than I do at home. Having fresh towels in the morning and evening is essential. There is simply not enough time for towels to dry adequately between usage. I may shower 3X daily on vacation.

It is also nice to have fresh ice always ready and not just an ice dish of cold water.

We're generally pretty neat and don't eat in the room, so no "heavy cleaning" is required. But a key point of cruising is that seemingly magical service that whenever you leave your room, you return and it is "reset".

If I wanted a hotel experience I'd stay in a hotel where I pay one room rate regardless of the number of people, have a much bigger room, and generally go off property for dining and entertainment. It's just two different experiences that aren't really comparable.

Chalk up my vote firmly in the "I like how it has been done, and I am paying for that. If I don't get it, I won't pay the full price." And believe me, I'd prefer to pay the full price and get the service. Withholding a few dollars a day from Carnival's Accounting Department is of small consolation when I get out of a shower to an already wet towel...

This is a good point. I've yet to cruise, so I wasn't sure of the amount of towels that are normally stocked in the room. I can also see the benefit of having the ice on hand, as well.

This is a good point. I've yet to cruise, so I wasn't sure of the amount of towels that are normally stocked in the room. I can also see the benefit of having the ice on hand, as well.

The bathrooms are small and even with a vent the air stays very damp.

Invariably someone comes along in threads like these and says "well, how many times a day is your room serviced at home?" Zero. That's why it is real life and not a vacation.

Well I would never remove half of the tips for half of the service received from the room steward. However my husband and I both like to shower after going to the gymn, which means we could shower late morning before lunch, but then need to shower again before dinner in the evening. If we didn't receive service twice a day with clean towels replenished we wouldn't have clean, dry towels. I hope for our 2 cruises this year, we won't be asked to choose between the two services. We always leave an extra cash tip at the end of the week for the room steward anywhere between ($30-$50) for really good service, but if I am asked to cut back on the service I will have to adjust the extra tip accordingly.