Cabin service only once a day??

jealdaka

I'm confused. Is Carnival the only line that charges tips? I thought the other ships did this as well. If so why is everyone so upset about the tips? And John did say it wasn't necessary to tip extra the first of the cruise not that you shouldn't tip at all.

tigercat

The COMPANY made it known in writing they are changing things. You aren't listening to the stewards complaints, they are just reiterating what the COMPANY already stated in writing. You are obviously one of those that looks at people in the service industry as beneath you.

I respect those in the service industry. I have been there but for them to stand in front of you and say the you can only have one not both services when you can is just plain wrong.

Is it our fault Carnival made these changes? No but when they added more cabins to the stewards Carnival did not announce it to their cruisers. Unhappy stewards did. We have been very lucky and have not had a bad steward and have always tipped them more then required. But it seems stewards are the ones complaining and wanting the guest to do accept less when they raised our tips.

I just got back from 2 cruises - 7 nights on the splendor and 6 nights on the Breeze. I was never asked how many times I wanted service, but on both I got service at least twice every day. A good cleaning in the morning and again in the evening with turndown service, towel animal, fun times etc. On both cruises the stewards did an excellent job on our room every day and always knew when we were coming and going and were just great.

This is a good point as hotels service your room in the morning usually and you never see housekeeping again unless you request something. I have gotten spoiled with a clean room day and night so I will opt in for am and pm.

We keep our room very clean. The only thing the cabin steward has to do is make up the bed in AM + give us new towels if needed. Also, ice only in the AM. We do like turndown service, too.

I even pick up lint off the floor.

We will request AM & PM service.

I just got back from 2 cruises - 7 nights on the splendor and 6 nights on the Breeze. I was never asked how many times I wanted service, but on both I got service at least twice every day. A good cleaning in the morning and again in the evening with turndown service, towel animal, fun times etc. On both cruises the stewards did an excellent job on our room every day and always knew when we were coming and going and were just great.

Those two ships apparently havent started the morning or evening service thing.

So far looks like the Dream and Triumph

Those two ships apparently havent started the morning or evening service thing.

So far looks like the Dream and Triumph

People just can't seem to grasp the concept that it is not fleet wide YET.

Otherwise I am sure they would not keep posting that they did not get a card and got the usual twice a day service.

Or maybe they would.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I'm confused. Is Carnival the only line that charges tips? I thought the other ships did this as well. If so why is everyone so upset about the tips? And John did say it wasn't necessary to tip extra the first of the cruise not that you shouldn't tip at all.

tigercat

Because the thread has morphed. Many people want and expect twice daily room servicing. If they are going to pay the current going rate they want current service levels.

So while John Heald says nothing is changing, some people report push back by stewards, and many also report stewards telling guests that they have been assigned a much higher number of rooms, essentially making it impossible to deliver twice daily service to everyone.

Eventually, it is likely, that they hope people just accept the lower service levels as well as new cruisers simply not knowing better.

Because something HAS BEEN DONE A CERTAIN WAY IN THE PAST has absolutely no bearing on what happens TODAY. That is true in every industry. At some point people really do need to come to terms with it. No one should EXPECT everything on every cruise to be the same, stay the same, etc. It is an evolving industry whose passenger demographic has changed considerably over the last decade.

When I get on a ship I try and treat it as though it is a wholly new experience. If I got on Carnival tomorrow and the cabin service was once a day, I'd figure that is how it NOW is, and I wouldn't be adjusting my tips because I am tipping for what I am getting not for what I perceive I should get...just like any NEW cruiser.

The whining about change is getting so ridiculous that it is harboring on the absurd.

Because something HAS BEEN DONE A CERTAIN WAY IN THE PAST has absolutely no bearing on what happens TODAY. That is true in every industry. At some point people really do need to come to terms with it. No one should EXPECT everything on every cruise to be the same, stay the same, etc. It is an evolving industry whose passenger demographic has changed considerably over the last decade.

When I get on a ship I try and treat it as though it is a wholly new experience. If I got on Carnival tomorrow and the cabin service was once a day, I'd figure that is how it NOW is, and I wouldn't be adjusting my tips because I am tipping for what I am getting not for what I perceive I should get...just like any NEW cruiser.

The whining about change is getting so ridiculous that it is harboring on the absurd.

Except in the instance where "we" detect change, and told there is no change, when the evidence proves otherwise.

What I don't understand is if you are tired of reading about people complaining why not just avoid them? They are pretty easy to identify and easy to avoid. I don't get how complaining about people complaining is any less annoying.

And if you think these board are bad you should join a Disney world message board.

Except in the instance where "we" detect change, and told there is no change, when the evidence proves otherwise.

This exactly.

If they said from now on you can have either am or pm service that would be one thing, but to claim nothing has changed unless you want it too is simply not true.

It is the bald ass lying that I have the most trouble with.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I don't work for Carnival. It's not up to me to figure out how to save resources for them. I am a paying customer. If I don't like a change I have a right to announce it. I also have a right to withhold money if service doesn't meet my expectations. If I have always gotten twice a day service that is what I want, and what I am paying for. I won't pay the same for less. I don't even want to pay less for less. I want to pay for, and get, what I currently am getting.

If you want once a day service, select that option. I'm not telling you that you can't have things the way you want, so why are you telling me I can't have things the way I want, especially when you're not the one making decisions for the company? Why is YOUR WAY the only right way? If I got on carnival tomorrow and service was halved, so would my tips, although I'd prefer not to, because the inconvenience of not having ice or fresh towels is NOT worth saving a few dollars a day to me.

So go be happy with once a day service, and pay the same amount. If that does it for you, so be it. But it won't cut it for me.

I don't work for Carnival. It's not up to me to figure out how to save resources for them. I am a paying customer. If I don't like a change I have a right to announce it. I also have a right to withhold money if service doesn't meet my expectations. If I have always gotten twice a day service that is what I want, and what I am paying for. I won't pay the same for less. I don't even want to pay less for less. I want to pay for, and get, what I currently am getting.

If you want once a day service, select that option. I'm not telling you that you can't have things the way you want, so why are you telling me I can't have things the way I want, especially when you're not the one making decisions for the company? Why is YOUR WAY the only right way? If I got on carnival tomorrow and service was halved, so would my tips, although I'd prefer not to, because the inconvenience of not having ice or fresh towels is NOT worth saving a few dollars a day to me.

So go be happy with once a day service, and pay the same amount. If that does it for you, so be it. But it won't cut it for me.

So...with that logic you won't be traveling on Carnival if the price goes up on your next cruise 'cause what you paid for on your last cruise is the maximum you want to pay. When prices go up are you getting something "more" for your money. Don't think so. The ship is the same, the stateroom is the same, the food may even be less, the service may be less, the entertainment may be less...but the price goes up. So how do you validate paying a higher price for basically "nothing"? At some point if people start withholding tips because they aren't getting what the expect I'll bet you the cost of a cruise will go up. People need to be paid, whether through salary or tips....not enough tips then basic salary goes up, and that means higher prices for everyone.

You have every right to complain....just don't think that your complaints are the only valid response. Some of us have differing opinions....and an opinion is just that. Yours is no more valid than mine, and mine is no more valid than yours. I understand that....do you?

The reports are coming in that the cabins are not as clean as they used to be before the Comfort Menu and added work load for the stewards were rolled out. Before long we may need to bring our own can of "Sweet Dutch Cleanser" and do the scrubbing ourselves. ;)

Edited by AHS123

I agree that the cabin stewards are worked to death. Used to be that there were two to three working together to get their section of rooms done. Now it seems like there is only one head steward for each section. They are all expected to take on additional rooms once they put the once a day option into play. I like having our room serviced twice a day. We always give extra money to our room steward. They certainly deserve it. I believe with the price of fuel going down, Carnival would be giving extra attention to their customers instead of less. I also am getting tired of having to go to the bar to get my own drinks. What happened Carnival, to the waiters? We are Platinum cruisers with Carnival, however, if they continue to cut services and work their employees so hard, we may have to consider other cruise lines.

I agree that the cabin stewards are worked to death. Used to be that there were two to three working together to get their section of rooms done. Now it seems like there is only one head steward for each section. They are all expected to take on additional rooms once they put the once a day option into play. I like having our room serviced twice a day. We always give extra money to our room steward. They certainly deserve it. I believe with the price of fuel going down, Carnival would be giving extra attention to their customers instead of less. I also am getting tired of having to go to the bar to get my own drinks. What happened Carnival, to the waiters? We are Platinum cruisers with Carnival, however, if they continue to cut services and work their employees so hard, we may have to consider other cruise lines.

I read many people posting this same thing.

Until it comes to fruition and a lot of cruisers leave will the beards wake up.

They keep chipping away at the amenities and people keep complaining but seems most stick around.

I have been platinum with CCL for quite some time now but haven't cruised with CCL since they cut the entertainment, probably 4-5 years now.

Used to be our go to line. We mostly cruise RCI and NCL now. I almost booked the Vista but I backed out and booked the Navigator for 9 days in a Promenade cabin to southern Caribbean for less than $1500.

Take the plunge and try another line. You may be surprised.:)

Bill

Edited by S.S.Oceanlover

What I don't understand is if you are tired of reading about people complaining why not just avoid them? They are pretty easy to identify and easy to avoid. I don't get how complaining about people complaining is any less annoying.

Now, I am going to complain about your complaining about people complaining about complaining. :p

I haven't read much of this thread, but I loved your post so much!

On the topic, I don't have much of a strong opinion, but I understand people that do. At a hotel, I certainly don't need twice a day service. On a cruise, there is more of a need for it, but I could probably be alright with evening only service. I use the beach towels all day, then shower before dinner, so evening service would work better for replenishing those towels. I don't mind a messy bed while I'm gone. If guests could have access to a self-serve ice machine, that would make that issue so much easier. It's so much quicker & easier to just get the ice myself. But even though I could be okay with it, Carnival just keeps pushing things further & further here. How far is this all gonna go!?

But even though I could be okay with it, Carnival just keeps pushing things further & further here. How far is this all gonna go!?

Probably until the complainers, those who think everything is a cutback and directly targeted at them, decide to leave Carnival and sail elsewhere. I rarely hear all this negativity from "new cruisers" who I know who really enjoy their experiences, but many "loyal" old-time cruisers seem to focus on all the things they don't get and not the things they do.

Carnival Corp....it seems.... has decided that the Carnival arm of their corporation will be the "affordable for many" arm of their corporation...leaving their other lines to offer more services and perks for those who are actually willing to pay the higher prices that these services and perks cost. It is clear to me, for one, that I will be getting exactly what I pay for on Carnival...if I want more of the "old time" cruising experience I will sail on Carnival Corporation lines (or their competitors) that offer more, wrapped up in the more expensive fare, that I pay to sail on those lines. The chose is mine and I am fine with that. I don't, in real life, expect the same quality of goods and services from my local discount store as I do from the more "upscale" department stores, so why should I think the cheap line will offer everything that an expensive one does. That is just wishful thinking.

As long as Carnival keeps 24 ships sailing virtually full week after week what is now occurring is their "business model" and it seems to be working for them. Consumers have a choice and instead of complaining about "cutbacks", perceived or otherwise, they still have the choice to move on. Isn't it futile to keep beating the same dead horse....not my idea of fun.

Probably until the complainers, those who think everything is a cutback and directly targeted at them, decide to leave Carnival and sail elsewhere. I rarely hear all this negativity from "new cruisers" who I know who really enjoy their experiences, but many "loyal" old-time cruisers seem to focus on all the things they don't get and not the things they do.

Carnival Corp....it seems.... has decided that the Carnival arm of their corporation will be the "affordable for many" arm of their corporation...leaving their other lines to offer more services and perks for those who are actually willing to pay the higher prices that these services and perks cost. It is clear to me, for one, that I will be getting exactly what I pay for on Carnival...if I want more of the "old time" cruising experience I will sail on Carnival Corporation lines (or their competitors) that offer more, wrapped up in the more expensive fare, that I pay to sail on those lines. The chose is mine and I am fine with that. I don't, in real life, expect the same quality of goods and services from my local discount store as I do from the more "upscale" department stores, so why should I think the cheap line will offer everything that an expensive one does. That is just wishful thinking.

As long as Carnival keeps 24 ships sailing virtually full week after week what is now occurring is their "business model" and it seems to be working for them. Consumers have a choice and instead of complaining about "cutbacks", perceived or otherwise, they still have the choice to move on. Isn't it futile to keep beating the same dead horse....not my idea of fun.

I certainly hear that drum beating from your posts.

If that were true, Carnival misses the mark by not having the or any vehicle to move their disgruntled customer from CCL to one of their other lines. Be at those customers seem to do is move directly to their two main competitors. All they need is that push. That's what did it for us, and opened our eyes to a product so much better. Had their been some vehicle to move to one of Carnival Corps others brands ,through something as easy as offering perks to the precious metal card holders, we may have made that transition.

One day they will wake up and realize they have an existing business model they can use; the Carnival experience they abandoned. They are making a mistake by keeping it reserved in a watered down version for their journey cruises.

Thank you for doing accurate math. This whole thread is why I really WISH Carnival would take the lead in making gratuities mandatory or built into the fare. Anyone can pass by guest services on any day after the 1st day and hear a number of people requesting removal of grats, the last day is the worst. Its done way more often then people think. Which makes their pay way less.

I'm one of those, because Ive always tipped in cash.

But carnival in no way wants to add that amount to their fares. Bin fact that's why they are trying to get more things into the sail and sign card, just to make you think you are getting a great fare. The dirty secret is, once you add fare, tax port and on board expenses, you are paying about twice your fare.

So...with that logic you won't be traveling on Carnival if the price goes up on your next cruise 'cause what you paid for on your last cruise is the maximum you want to pay. When prices go up are you getting something "more" for your money. Don't think so. The ship is the same, the stateroom is the same, the food may even be less, the service may be less, the entertainment may be less...but the price goes up. So how do you validate paying a higher price for basically "nothing"? At some point if people start withholding tips because they aren't getting what the expect I'll bet you the cost of a cruise will go up. People need to be paid, whether through salary or tips....not enough tips then basic salary goes up, and that means higher prices for everyone.

You have every right to complain....just don't think that your complaints are the only valid response. Some of us have differing opinions....and an opinion is just that. Yours is no more valid than mine, and mine is no more valid than yours. I understand that....do you?

My next cruise same ship same itinerary is 20% cheaper. I'm happy [emoji6]

And my cabin will be serviced twice daily or the stewards portion gets chopped. Capiche?

Edited by LMaxwell

I'm one of those, because Ive always tipped in cash.

But carnival in no way wants to add that amount to their fares. Bin fact that's why they are trying to get more things into the sail and sign card, just to make you think you are getting a great fare. The dirty secret is, once you add fare, tax port and on board expenses, you are paying about twice your fare.

This is not a "dirty secret" that a cruise line, or someone else, is trying to keep from you. This is common sense that anyone with an ounce of brains has to know. These are the things you budget for, are they not? And if you fly in, then you have airfare as well. These are all things that have to be paid for. So, how is this a "dirty secret" and who is keeping that "dirty secret"?

There are so many people on this thread analyzing crew salaries, remark how hard the stewards work, how the stewards are getting screwed by Carnival adding more cabins for each, blah, blah! These people are adults...if they don't like their conditions they can move on much like we do here in the states if we feel our company is screwing us over.

Personally, I don't care how much the workers get paid. That isn't my business much like it isn't my business how hard the stewards work. My business for the week I'm cruising is to enjoy the experience. I will continue to treat the employees with the respect they deserve but I refuse to get involved with the contract between themselves and Carnival.

We're going on the Dream in April and I don't expect to fight with the steward if I choose both AM and PM (which I intend to). If the steward insists it's one or the other and a call to the Head Housekeeper doesn't take care of it then I will not tip above what I've already pre-paid. I won't pull the "suggested" tips as I do recognize that is the bulk of their salary.

We just got off a cruise this past week. Our ship did not have the new forms yet, so our service was just as wonderful as it has always been.

We were with a huge group, so during the course of the week, I had the opportunity to have a conversation with three different room stewards from different areas and decks on the ship, in addition to our room steward. Our room steward did not give me much information as she was about to move to servicing suites and I asked early in the week before I thought to ask about once the new forms came out. But when I asked, she did say on my cruise she was servicing 26 cabins but next week she would be servicing 22 because she was moving to suites.

The good thing is because they were not in the area of my cabin, it cannot be tracked back to who it was. I don't know if Carnival would even attempt to do this, but I wouldn't want them to get in trouble. It was near the end of the cruise, but given the opportunity, I would have liked to have had a similar conversation with others to get confirmation from more than one person how much they actually receive from the auto-gratuities. Not that I think they were not being truthful to me, but I always like to hear it from more than one.

Curious, two different thread and two different stories. First you say you talked to three different stewards and in a previous thread you said you only talked to one and would have liked to talk to more.

Which is correct? Sorry, but this just makes me not want to believe either one.