can you purchase gift cards in the gift shop?

realtrip

I was wondering if it was possible to buy a gift card for myself or my mom once on board the ship. Do they sell them at the gift shop or at guest services?

I know I can get them before we cruise but I' d prefer getting them on board in case I end up not needing/wanting them.

TIA,

That is a shame. I read on another thread that you could.

I wish to book my next cruise while on the ship and you have to pay with either a credit card or a gift card not your onboard account

I was hoping to buy a gift card as I could then pay for it with my sail and sign card. And then turn around and pay my s & s card with my saved up US$ cash ( which I bought when our money was at par). This would allow me to avoid paying with my credit card (and the exchange rate).

When I was onboard the Triumph recently, I purchased gift cards for friends onboard with me who were celebrating birthdays. It wasn't in the gift shop though. They were for sale in the little shop that sells candies. I don't remember the name of the shop but Guest Services sent me there and they had gift cards in any amount.

Edited by nwcruiselover

I was able to find this info in FAQ's from Carnival

I'LL post only what is relevant for me. I hope this can help others.

Thankfully Edinboro got it wrong.:confused:

CARNIVAL GIFT CARD

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS

GENERAL PRODUCT INFORMATION

Q: What is a Carnival Gift Card?

A: The Carnival Gift Card is a pre-paid gift card similar to a gift certificate that can be used as payment toward a cruise booking on any of our ships*, pre-purchased shore excursion, spa experience or toward your onboard spending account. The gift card may be purchased online at http://www.carnivalgiftcards.com, directly onboard Carnival Cruise Lines fleet operating within the US, or at approximately 9,000 retail locations;

Q: Can anyone use my Carnival Gift Card?

A: Yes. Because your name does not appear on the card, you may use it yourself or give it to anyone you choose.

Q: Where can I use the Carnival Gift Card?

A: It may be used online at http://www.carnival.com or onboard our ships (except Carnival Spirit based in Australia).

Q: Are Carnival Gift Cards sold in specific denominations?

A: The Gift Card offers flexibility in denomination value. A Gift Card may be purchased for a minimum value of $10.00 up to a maximum as large as a $1,000.00 balance on the Gift Card, so it's the gift that can keep on giving.

WHERE TO PURCHASE

Q: Where can I purchase a Carnival Gift Card?

A: Gift Cards may be purchased online at http://www.carnivalgiftcards.com or onboard the Carnival Cruise Lines fleet, at Cherry On Top & Formalities (except Carnival Spirit based in Australia).

Q: Can gift cards be applied towards the deposit?

A: Yes, gift cards are a form of payment and can be used towards deposit and final payment. Gift card payment is currently accepted on carnival.com on the payment page when creating a new booking. The functionality to allow gift card payment in Booked Guest and in PreSales is planned for the first quarter in 2013.

Q: Can I use cash onboard to purchase a gift card?

A: Yes, you can use cash to purchase gift cards from Cherry on Top or at the Guest Services desk.

That is a shame. I read on another thread that you could.

I wish to book my next cruise while on the ship and you have to pay with either a credit card or a gift card not your onboard account

I was hoping to buy a gift card as I could then pay for it with my sail and sign card. And then turn around and pay my s & s card with my saved up US$ cash ( which I bought when our money was at par). This would allow me to avoid paying with my credit card (and the exchange rate).

We have booked future cruises while on ship and the deposit was put on our sign and sail card. The last time we did this was in Nov 2014 so things could have changed. I plan on trying again next week while on the Pride.

We have booked future cruises while on ship and the deposit was put on our sign and sail card. The last time we did this was in Nov 2014 so things could have changed. I plan on trying again next week while on the Pride.

Can you report back, please? We will also be on the Pride but in June.

Can you report back, please? We will also be on the Pride but in June.

Sure! I will let you know how we make out :)

I should also note that while I have put the deposit on my sign and sail account, my sign and sail account is linked to a credit card. I think once it is charged to your sign and sail account, you can pay that off with cash regardless of what the charges are.

Edited by sixb0nes

Sure! I will let you know how we make out :)

I should also note that while I have put the deposit on my sign and sail account, my sign and sail account is linked to a credit card. I think once it is charged to your sign and sail account, you can pay that off with cash regardless of what the charges are.

That would work too! Thanks.

Oh, thank you. That's perfect. I think the candy shop might be called cherry on top.

I was just on the Breeze end of January and know I saw them in there too since I couldnt understand why anyone would be on a cruise and purchase a gift card but now you answered that question.

So, my answer is I saw them on the Breeze in Cherry on Top right next to the register.

• 3 weeks later...
That would work too! Thanks.

We just returned from our 14 day cruise on the Pride and booked 3 cabins for two different cruises. They charged it to the credit card on file as a separate purchase not to the sign and sail card. The next day I went down and asked her if I could have charged it to my sign and sail card so I could pay that off with cash. Her response was no, that it must be charged to a credit card. I thought we had charged it to our sign and sail card in the past, but maybe I am mistaken. I would suggest calling Carnival to ask them for sure.

• 9 months later...

I would like to purchase a gift card while i'm cruising as well. I am putting on a themed meet and greet and will be giving a prize at the end of it so I won't know the name of the person/room# to be able to purchase it before.

I know you can buy them online or in stores for no less than $100 but I didn't want to purchase that much. I know there is a photo cash card but they won't let me get it as a gift card before we leave.

My question is can you buy the gift card in any amount? If not, what is the minimun or the incremends they cant be purchase in. I'll be on the Fantasy on Saturday! TIA

I was able to find this info in FAQ's from Carnival

I'LL post only what is relevant for me. I hope this can help others.

Thankfully Edinboro got it wrong.:confused:

Q: Are Carnival Gift Cards sold in specific denominations?

A: The Gift Card offers flexibility in denomination value. A Gift Card may be purchased for a minimum value of $10.00 up to a maximum as large as a $1,000.00 balance on the Gift Card, so it's the gift that can keep on giving.

According to what realtrip posted, you can purchase them for a minimum of $10.

I think the website need some updating. I've never seen them sold anywhere for $10. And as of late, they are only available in $100 increments. In fact John Heald asked not so long ago how people felt about them no longer offering cards for $25.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

When I was onboard the Triumph recently, I purchased gift cards for friends onboard with me who were celebrating birthdays. It wasn't in the gift shop though. They were for sale in the little shop that sells candies. I don't remember the name of the shop but Guest Services sent me there and they had gift cards in any amount.

Yes, I was just on Valor and you can get them in the candy shop.