Motion sickness question

LovetheCubs

Bonine does not cause my family to feel sluggish or tired unlike Dramamine. We take one 12 hours before the start of the cruise and continue throughout. Now we cruise out of NY at times so the ocean is for sure rougher.

My Mother uses it for our boat at home (she gets motion sickness very easily). We have even used it for amusement park rides. I don't think I personally get seasick, we have cruised in some pretty rough seas, but I sure don't want to. We spend too much time on the water to get that fear..

One tip I read on here before I went on our cruise last Saturday was to get "MotionEaze" and it says it will still work even after symptoms start (sea sickness, etc.). I did see it for sale on the ship (NCL spirit) but it was twice the price of what I paid, and it's only 20 applications where as mine is 60.

MotionEaze is a topical oil that you put dab behind your ear. It worked for me when there was some rocking and rolling on this past cruise. I would suggest this. I haven't used Bonnie or Dramamine or sea bands to say if they work.

Edited by Mrs.C05

It seems like most things I read on here people are taking Bonine for sea sickness. I have alwayd taken dramamine for car sickness. Does Bonine work better for most on the ocean? Any advice?

Bonnie and the NEW non drowsy Dramamine are both the drug meclizine.

It should be started before you board the ship. Dramamine the original is dimenhydrinate , an antihistamine similar to Benadryl . It causes drowsiness and should also be taken prior to sailing .

If you have a history of seasickness you may want to speak to your medical care provider about a scopolamine patch.

It does have side effects, however., as do all medications.

My daughter has tried all and we have found that the meclizine ( taken once a day) provides her great relief.

We also carry ginger candy .

Happy sailing!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Dramamine doesn't work for me. I use the prescription meclizine (Bonine) and it works for me. I get sea sick often. I also have used the scopolamine patch. The patch works but after I took it off it made me soooo tired for at least 7 days afterwards. A friend of mine can't use the patch because it gives her blurry vision. I would stick with Bonine.

Another vote for Bonine! My DS has always had trouble with motion sickness and we have tried everything - prescription and non-prescription, sea bands and oils. Bonine is the only med that doesn't cause him to sleep the cruise away. He can also take it when going out diving without any side effects.

Have a great cruise!

I am very prone to seasickness so I always get a Scopalamine patch. It is a prescription drug---but I cannot sail without it. I do use Dramamine for flying, etc.------ but not on a cruise!

One tip I read on here before I went on our cruise last Saturday was to get "MotionEaze" and it says it will still work even after symptoms start (sea sickness, etc.). I did see it for sale on the ship (NCL spirit) but it was twice the price of what I paid, and it's only 20 applications where as mine is 60.

MotionEaze is a topical oil that you put dab behind your ear. It worked for me when there was some rocking and rolling on this past cruise. I would suggest this. I haven't used Bonnie or Dramamine or sea bands to say if they work.

I second MotionEaze. My husband gets really bad motion sickness & it helped him within minutes. He even puts it on when we go to theme parks & it helps him tremendously, especially with those video screen rides in Universal. It's just oil-- any age can use it, there are no side effects and no restrictions with it (read: you can still drink) lol. We ordered ours from Amazon.

I have taken meclizine but make sure u don't drink while taking it. I got so sick one night after going to margarita madness. We went to bed and out of a sound sleep I got up and had diarrhea and started to vomit and it says on the pkg about no liqueur but I guess I didn't read the directions

My family and I tend to have pretty steady sea legs and tummies. But I also believe in preventative medicine. For my the kids I have them take half a non drowsy Dramamine and I take a whole one EACH NIGHT BEFORE BED including THE NIGHT BEFORE WE SET SAIL.

I learned this trick from some seasoned cruisers and some sailors.

I recall a few rough sea days (a few hurricanes on the water) and I had to take another one during the day. That was just once or twice.

Good luck!

It seems like most things I read on here people are taking Bonine for sea sickness. I have alwayd taken dramamine for car sickness. Does Bonine work better for most on the ocean? Any advice?

I have suffered from motion sickness all my life, five to ten miles was about my limit in the back of a car as a child:eek: I still cannot read in a moving car.

Traditional Dramamine is an antihistamine dimenhydrinate and can make you drowsy but it was the only thing that worked for me in those days.

On the sea I get used to it nowadays but Bonine is the best of them all, generic name is meclizine (much cheaper).

Nowadays there is Dramamine II "Less Drowsy" which is also meclizine.

Take some with you but I hope you won't need it:)

P.S. The scope patch is available over the counter in Canada (or mail order it) but I've never tried it.

Edited by pspercy

I get motion sickness in cars if I don't drive. Never gotten on a boat of any kind before. However I bring the non drowsy dramamine and take when I wake up every day. Better safe than sorry. Once you get sick, really hard to treat then.

We have used all of these in the past and they all seem to work well for us...

http://amzn.to/22gdoCK (bands)

http://amzn.to/21sDVqD (patch)

http://amzn.to/22gdytT (liquid)

http://amzn.to/1RjpXSr (gum)

http://amzn.to/1S1bMEw (tablets)

Good luck!

On the breakaway now and it is gently moving - but enough for me to feel it. I use the same regime I have for years. One motion sick pill (cheapest ones from walmart - not the non-drowsy ones) every night. The drowsiness last about 6 hours but the anti-seasickness lasts 24. By taking it at night I always get a good nights sleep and don't get sick.

As a long time boat owner with recurrent sea-sickness this regime has worked for 15+ years.

FYI can't tolerate the patch for the double vision

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have fairly severe motion sickness (watching a train go by, swinging, watching a merry go round, etc.). I take one Bonine each morning and evening, starting the evening before we sail, and have never gotten seasick on a cruise, even in the middle of a hurricane! The Motionease oil works quite well, too!

Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by lexanna02