Norovirus on Sunshine

zooforce

Carnival Sunshine was plagued by Norovirus on last weeks cruise 3/9/16...I know some people are more mindful of their hygiene as others. The Cruise companies don't want to over enforce hygiene, its just some people are pigs. If you cruise, Purell will not help with Norovirus. You need something that contains Benzalkonium Chloride to kill germs. X3 is a reasonably inexpensive sanitizer that should be with you on all cruises. We need to put pressure on the cruise companies to ensure their ships are safe.

Edited by zooforce

Carnival Sunshine was plagued by Norovirus on last weeks cruise 3/9/16...I know some people are more mindful of their hygiene as others. The Cruise companies don't want to over enforce hygiene, its just some people are pigs. If you cruise, Purell will not help with Norovirus. You need something that contains Benzalkonium Chloride to kill germs. X3 is a reasonably inexpensive sanitizer that should be with you on all cruises. We need to put pressure on the cruise companies to ensure their ships are safe.

The ships are fine. How are things sanitized before getting to the ship:eek:

Not particularly fond of using the words pigs.

Edited by RuthlessBoss

We need to put pressure on the cruise companies to ensure their ships are safe.

No we do not need to put the pressure on the cruise lines. They're just fine. They have soap and water. And ships do not give you norovirus.

Just what do you want to pressure the cruise lines to do? And I agree with Podna's comment.

Well for starters...if you've been to a hospital lately..as soon as you walk in "The Voice asks you clean your hands" Public announcements, Sanitizers mounted in Staterooms, Force you to Sanitize your hands before boarding ship at every port ...Celebrity does! Maybe some people can wash their hands after they go to the washroom.... There is a lot they can do so reduce the spread of virus' CDC report came out 3/9 so if you were on that cruise and it was 3/5 ok. Did you get sick? Did they help you? Could the spreading of the virus been reduced? I was on the Breeze a couple years ago and they avoided Grand Turk because of possible exposure...better safe than sorry. But with cruise lines sailing right into Hurricanes, I don't think they have our health in the best interest.

Edited by zooforce

The ships are fine. How are things sanitized before getting to the ship:eek:

Not particularly fond of using the words pigs.

Sorry, It's the only word i could describe when you see a person use the stall for his business then walk right out without any attempt to washup. It was by the pool though, so maybe he washed up in there? I was just shaking my head.....and no this was not a child but an Adult.

I have no idea how they can sanitizes a ship in the 4 hour window before the next embarkation without the norovirus still lingering around as well as the rooms from people who have been sick.....

Just what do you want to pressure the cruise lines to do? And I agree with Podna's comment.

I think maybe keeping up the cleaning of the rooms twice a day will help.

I don't care what anyone says. Keeping the rooms cleaned of dirty tissues in the trash cans and wiping things down will make a difference. I said I think this is going to get worse with less cleaning.

The FDA, who regulates hand sanitizers, classifies benzalkonium chloride as a GRASE (generally recognized as safe and effective) class III ingredient, which means that the FDA feels more testing and data is required before they can recommend the ingredient as safe and effective, particularly with regards to claims of killing viruses. Only GRASE I ingredients are considered to be safe and effective.

Well for starters...if you've been to a hospital lately..as soon as you walk in "The Voice asks you clean your hands" Public announcements, Sanitizers mounted in Staterooms, Force you to Sanitize your hands before boarding ship at every port ...Celebrity does! Maybe some people can wash their hands after they go to the washroom.... There is a lot they can do so reduce the spread of virus' CDC report came out 3/9 so if you were on that cruise and it was 3/5 ok. Did you get sick? Did they help you? Could the spreading of the virus been reduced? I was on the Breeze a couple years ago and they avoided Grand Turk because of possible exposure...better safe than sorry. But with cruise lines sailing right into Hurricanes, I don't think they have our health in the best interest.

Sorry, It's the only word i could describe when you see a person use the stall for his business then walk right out without any attempt to washup. It was by the pool though, so maybe he washed up in there? I was just shaking my head.....and no this was not a child but an Adult.

I have no idea how they can sanitizes a ship in the 4 hour window before the next embarkation without the norovirus still lingering around as well as the rooms from people who have been sick.....

If you would like to know how they can sanitize a ship, perhaps you should check the CDC website under "Vessel Sanitation Program" to read the VSP construction and operations manuals, and study some of the outbreak and corrective action reports. You can also contact the USPH/CDC and ask any question you have, and they will respond.

I think maybe keeping up the cleaning of the rooms twice a day will help.

I don't care what anyone says. Keeping the rooms cleaned of dirty tissues in the trash cans and wiping things down will make a difference. I said I think this is going to get worse with less cleaning.

Dirty tissues will have no effect on noro, unless you someone other than the person who "infected" the tissue reaches into the trash and touches it. Noro is a contact transmission virus, not an airborne or aerosol transmission. And wiping down a room of an infected person will only help if others are entering the room and touching surfaces.

Remember, noro is transmitted first by someone who does not have good personal hygiene, and therefore contaminates their own hands. This behavior will continue whether or not the person is still infected with noro, so that person will continue to contaminate their hands and then contaminate surfaces, no matter how frequently it is wiped down.

Was on the Sunshine March 5th till the 13th. Noro was the previous cruise. Boarding was delayed till 2 pm while the ship was cleaned. Now there may have been a case or two on our cruise but no major outbreak. There was a delay in getting cleared to enter Curuco on the 9th as health officials took an extended time. But heard the big amount of that was one doctor who got to the ship 30 mins. late. Now at the end of every anoucment there was a reminder to wash hands before eating. And toward the end crew members at the entrance to the MDR with apart for your hands. So again may have been a case or two but no outbreak like the prior cruise.

I disagree that a ship should force someone to use hand sanitizers. I for one will not use them.

I used hand sanitizer all of the time when it first became popular. I started noticing that I would get the smallest of cuts on my hands and they would become sores and take forever to heal. After research and talking with the doctor I found out that it was the hand sanitizers causing the problem. Not only do hand sanitizers kill bad germs but it kills the good germs also which are essential for healing.

Good old hand washing is the best thing to prevent noro.

On Princess, they have staff stationed at the buffets with hand sanitizers or watching you to insure you use the upright dispensers. I agree they kill good with the bad. I stick my hands in the dispensers but limit the contact with my hands. However, I am diligent about soap and water, so that will stop that argument. No point in discussing with staff, about effectiveness, because their limited language knowledge creates the deer in headlights effect.

On Princess, they have staff stationed at the buffets with hand sanitizers or watching you to insure you use the upright dispensers. I agree they kill good with the bad. I stick my hands in the dispensers but limit the contact with my hands. However, I am diligent about soap and water, so that will stop that argument. No point in discussing with staff, about effectiveness, because their limited language knowledge creates the deer in headlights effect.

LOL, and here on Princess I thought I was the only one that placed my hand under the dispenser to trigger it but then moved it quickly. As you said, no sense in trying to say anything to the staff, they are clueless.

LOL, and here on Princess I thought I was the only one that placed my hand under the dispenser to trigger it but then moved it quickly. As you said, no sense in trying to say anything to the staff, they are clueless.

To calm the staff and passengers, be sure to lift your hands to chest level and rub hands well so everyone can see you:D

It is patently false to say that Celebrity forces its passengers to use those awful hand sanitizers. They are there and their use is encouraged, but no one is forced to use them. I do not use them because they cause my skin to dry out and crack. I wash my hands regularly with warm water and soap and have never been ill on a ship. I do not see that the cruise lines need to do any more than they currently do. It is not their fault that some people will board a ship with a virus and infect others.

I think every cruise has someone with noro on it. with around 5000 to 6000 people including staff the chances of someone not having it is almost impossible. If it spreads its because of the people that have come in contact are not washing hands and taking per-cautions. It can be on your hands from grabbing a railing that someone else touched with noro. If you eat a sandwich or something with your hands it enters your body and you may end up sick. its not just the people that are sick that can pass it along.

If you would like to know how they can sanitize a ship, perhaps you should check the CDC website under "Vessel Sanitation Program" to read the VSP construction and operations manuals, and study some of the outbreak and corrective action reports. You can also contact the USPH/CDC and ask any question you have, and they will respond.

Well said as usual....

I am not cheerleader. I think their water game is terrible. However, to be fair, cleaning the room 1x per day would technically SLOW the spread of the virus. I don't want my steward going in and out of my room and the sick people's room any more than necessary. My germy tissues are better off in my trash can than having the same person from the sick room come into mine to get them.