Record numbers of cruisers in one day

Just read this about Port Everglades in Florida, USA. I wonder what the record for Sydney is. :D

Port Everglades on Sunday clocked a new record for the most cruise passengers in a single day, according to port officials.

Preliminary estimates show more than 54,700 passengers sailed in and out of the Broward County seaport, surpassing the previous single-day record of 53,485 on Dec. 20.

Eight cruise ships were docked at the seaport Sunday: Carnival Cruise Line's Carnival Conquest, Celebrity Cruises' Celebrity Silhouette, Holland America Line's Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam, Princess Cruises' Regal Princess and Royal Princess, and Royal Caribbean International's Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas.

The same cruise ships helped set the last record in December, but they carried more families this time because of spring break vacations.

Edited by MicCanberra

Thats a huge number of people to process and serve . I may be wrong but I seem to recall that the most number of ships there has been 10 , maybe 12 , but those ships would not have had the massive number of passenger that these ones today carry.

Thank goodness the airport is just over the road. I watched the port web cam and you could see a constant procession of planes taking off.

Just read this about Port Everglades in Florida, USA. I wonder what the record for Sydney is. :D

Port Everglades on Sunday clocked a new record for the most cruise passengers in a single day, according to port officials.

Preliminary estimates show more than 54,700 passengers sailed in and out of the Broward County seaport, surpassing the previous single-day record of 53,485 on Dec. 20.

Eight cruise ships were docked at the seaport Sunday: Carnival Cruise Line's Carnival Conquest, Celebrity Cruises' Celebrity Silhouette, Holland America Line's Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam, Princess Cruises' Regal Princess and Royal Princess, and Royal Caribbean International's Allure of the Seas and Navigator of the Seas.

The same cruise ships helped set the last record in December, but they carried more families this time because of spring break vacations.

Sydney would be lucky to get much more 20% of that figure.Voyager or Explorer can take around 3900 pax ( lots of kids) and the biggest ship at White Bay would be around the 2000 mark Maybe you could put a second ship in at White Bay but there are no facilities to process a second ship at the terminal and would have to be done off sight.:eek:

Edited by gbenjo

Thats a huge number of people to process and serve . I may be wrong but I seem to recall that the most number of ships there has been 10 , maybe 12 , but those ships would not have had the massive number of passenger that these ones today carry.

Thank goodness the airport is just over the road. I watched the port web cam and you could see a constant procession of planes taking off.

Yes, it would have been very busy at the airport and hotels as well.

Sydney would be lucky to get much more 20% of that figure.Voyager or Explorer can take around 3900 pax ( lots of kids) and the biggest ship at White Bay would be around the 2000 mark Maybe you could put a second ship in at White Bay but there are no facilities to process a second ship at the terminal and would have to be done off sight.:eek:

There was over 10,000 for the P&O 5 ship spectacular but then 3 of the ships were just anchored and were not being processed.

There was also around 8000 for the VOTS and the EOTS but again only one ship being processed. We have had the Cunard ships in recently as well but am not sure how many were being embarked or getting off.

They don't call Florida the cruising capital of the world for nothing. lol!

I read that article about Port Everglades too. I've been lucky to have sailed out of Fort Lauderdale once & Miami just down the road 3 times. Both ports are really good & efficient at what they do & our local ports here in Australia could learn a lot from them. Hopefully we'll see some ports at least half the size of these built in Brisbane & Sydney in the coming years so we can attract bigger & better boats year round!

They don't call Florida the cruising capital of the world for nothing. lol!

I read that article about Port Everglades too. I've been lucky to have sailed out of Fort Lauderdale once & Miami just down the road 3 times. Both ports are really good & efficient at what they do & our local ports here in Australia could learn a lot from them. Hopefully we'll see some ports at least half the size of these built in Brisbane & Sydney in the coming years so we can attract bigger & better boats year round!

I agree that some ports overseas have really got a handle on getting people off and on the cruise ships but then most of the best embarkations ever have all been in Sydney. A couple of the worst was in Vancouver and Buenos Aires.

I agree that some ports overseas have really got a handle on getting people off and on the cruise ships but then most of the best embarkations ever have all been in Sydney. A couple of the worst was in Vancouver and Buenos Aires.

I can't really agree about Sydney. Personally my experiences there at OPT have been good and bad, but mostly seen lots of disorganised chaos going on there, especially around the entrance. We too had a cruise in and out of Buenos aires once & I know what you mean, but luckily some guy working at the port took a liking to us being the only english speaking people there at the time & gave us an express pass to be first on once boarding started. Then there was the fun part on the bus through the busy industrial docks. lol

I can't really agree about Sydney. Personally my experiences there at OPT have been good and bad, but mostly seen lots of disorganised chaos going on there, especially around the entrance. We too had a cruise in and out of Buenos aires once & I know what you mean, but luckily some guy working at the port took a liking to us being the only english speaking people there at the time & gave us an express pass to be first on once boarding started. Then there was the fun part on the bus through the busy industrial docks. lol

Yeah, I know what you mean, driving around all the containers was like a movie set.:D

I remember the early years in Sydney were a bit haphazard. But all my cruises in recent years have been so smooth inside the terminal.

Outside can be a bit less organised. But it's still been good going there of late, especially at the newer White Bay and OPT after renovations.

Haven't really had a bad experience getting on but the worst disembark was in Copenhagen a few years ago. There were 6 cruise ships in port that day. We had to dock way out yonder and it was impossible to get taxis as they were all up town at the closer docks.

We ended up jumping on a bus and got out reasonably early. Heard people were still there at lunch time trying to get transport.

Haven't really had a bad experience getting on but the worst disembark was in Copenhagen a few years ago. There were 6 cruise ships in port that day. We had to dock way out yonder and it was impossible to get taxis as they were all up town at the closer docks.

We ended up jumping on a bus and got out reasonably early. Heard people were still there at lunch time trying to get transport.

I have taken to finding out exactly how many ships and pax may be in port for particular cruises that I am interested in as it can affect many decisions.