Alaskan Nauralists on ship?

eandj

We are booked for August on the Coral. We were wondering how the naturalist thing works while cruising the glacier areas. Is there one on the loudspeaker describing things as you go along and/or are there lectures some time? DH bought a great book with things really labeled while cruising, but I wonder if we can be out on deck and hear someone "narrating" and offering additional info. Is there a certain deck or spot where you could be with the naturalist?

When the ship goes into Glacier Bay NP, a park naturalist will be onboard and will be talking using the PA system. prior to that there usually is a lecture on the area. Warning: once the ship enters Glacier Bay the top deck will be very cold but the best place to watch the glacier calving. Take really warm clothes just in case.

We are booked for August on the Coral. We were wondering how the naturalist thing works while cruising the glacier areas. Is there one on the loudspeaker describing things as you go along and/or are there lectures some time? DH bought a great book with things really labeled while cruising, but I wonder if we can be out on deck and hear someone "narrating" and offering additional info. Is there a certain deck or spot where you could be with the naturalist?

Can you tell the title and the author of the book your husband found?

We are planning our trip to Alaska and this would be so helpful.

Thanks a lot!

We were in short sleeves when in Glacier Bay, but besides that, there were two naturalists who came on board...one was set up on the bow with binocs on a tripod, and radioed info to the other naturalist who was on the bridge giving a running commentary.

The one on the bow was looking for various wildlife to point out.

I have looked into this, as we will be sailing Alaska soon!

I have seen the Princess Patter bulletins, and have also seen video.

Yes, there will be both presentations that you can attend, and narrative over loudspeakers on public decks, such as the Promenade.

You are on the broader Princess board here, but check out the Alaska destination forum, too. (if you have not)

I believe that there are some Patters from a Coral Glacier Bay cruise posted there.

This is actually one reason that I am considering booking the Sanctuary. I am one of those who does not really do well with loud-speakers going on. We will not be boarding until later that day. After 5:00p.m. And I am afraid that the Sanctuary... especially any of the spots in good locations, cabanas. will all be booked before we even walk on the ship.

There are the forward observation decks on deck 9 and 10, I believe. I do not know if the narration will be on speakers there, or not.

I also wonder, is Glacier Bay the only time that there are Naturalist and/or National Park Service rangers on the PA system?

Edited by Wishing on a star

IThis is actually one reason that I am considering booking the Sanctuary. I am one of those who does not really do well with loud-speakers going on. We will not be boarding until later that day. After 5:00p.m. And I am afraid that the Sanctuary... especially any of the spots in good locations, cabanas. will all be booked before we even walk on the ship.

There are the forward observation decks on deck 9 and 10, I believe. I do not know if the narration will be on speakers there, or not.

I also wonder, is Glacier Bay the only time that there are Naturalist and/or National Park Service rangers on the PA system?

Don't worry about the Sanctuary booking up. I've rarely seen anyone in there on my Alaskan cruises. They charge extra for the glacier sailing day(s).

In addition to the park rangers that come on in Glacier Bay, you should have a naturalist on board all week. They usually give several lectures throughout the week, as well as announcing wildlife sightings. They don't announce things constantly all week, so you don't have to worry about loud-speakers bothering you all the time.

We weren't traveling with kids but I seem to remember that the National Park Service Ranges also did a program for kids that was very well received.

There are speakers on the forward observation deck and the Princess hired naturalist (who is on the ship for the entire voyage as opposed to the Natural Park Service Rangers who board in the morning of Glacier Bay day and leave in the afternoon) frequently (at least on our 2 Alaska cruises on the Coral) will get on the PA system to point out wildlife, points of interest, etc.

We have cruised twice to Alaska and had great Naturalists both time! The first time is described in the following: After breakfast, we stopped in the lounge area to enjoy a cup of coffee and determine what was next on our agenda. There was a gentleman sitting next to us at another table who was looking over some notes on a pad. As we talked, I mentioned that I would really like to go see the seminar at 9:00 AM that was going to be put on by the ship’s resident Naturalist & Wildlife Biologist. Our neighbor excused himself and said that it should be a good presentation. Then he introduced himself and told us that he was the ship’s Naturalist & Wildlife Biologist and would be making the presentation! Well, guess what? We went and had a good time. His presentation was about the types and species of animals that we would possibly see on this trip and the land excursions. It began around 10:00 AM and lasted about 1 hour.

Princess has very knowledgeable Naturalists and most are past US Park Rangers! So be ready to listen and enjoy.

Just Mike

I've enjoyed having Michael Modzelewski as the naturalist & guest speaker on a Princess cruise.

http://michaelmodzelewski.com/biography/

In 2014 they had the 1st female winner of the Iditarod race...Libby Riddles...give a presentation while docked in Juneau.

Edited by Astro Flyer

When I first read the title I thought 1) you were talking about a group that did not wear clothes and 2) its mighty cold to be a "naturalist" in Alaska

That would be a "naturist" not a "naturalist". :)

There seem to be a number of books about cruising Alaska and I haven't the foggiest notion which would be "best".

The Alaska Cruise Companion - A Naturalist's Guide to Alaska's Inside Passage by Rachel Cartwright

The Alaska Cruise Handbook: A Mile-by-Mile Guide 2012 edition

Alaska By Cruise Ship - 8th Edition

We have done the round trip Alaska cruise from San Francisco but didn't have any sort of book or guide. It was awesome. :)

We're going back in June - a 6 day land tour with a 7 day southbound to Vancouver. I'm considering getting a book but unsure if it's really worth the effort or if we will be just as happy without one.

I might be more interested in the e-book version but I think that only the second one I listed is actually available in that type of format. Has anybody checked that one out?

I purchased this book from the gift ship during a Princess Alaskan cruise which included a removable mile-by-mile map of the route:

The Alaska Cruise Companion book by Joe Upton

That is the second one in my list of 3. The 2012 edition is available as a "real" book and also in Kindle edition from Amazon.

The Alaska Cruise Handbook: A Mile-by-Mile Guide 2012 edition

do they have the park ranger speakers on all Alaska cruises or just the ones going to Glacier Bay? Thanks

g

Edited by AF-1

Just curious, I was hoping to enjoy the glacier bay day on my balcony to avoid crowds. Thoughts on this? Would I not be able to get the commentary?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The commentary will be available on the inroom tv. To listen while on the balcony, the door would have to be open.

They do not have broadcast to the rooms (other than on the tv) or to the balconies. However depending on your location, you may hear the broadcast from your balcony. If you are are directly below the Lido deck or directly above the Promenade deck, you may hear a speaker from that deck - it depends on the location of your balcony, the location of the speakers, the volume of the speakers, and how good your hearing is.

do they have the park ranger speakers on all Alaska cruises or just the ones going to Glacier Bay? Thanks

The park rangers are only onboard when the ship is in a National Park, and Glacier Bay is the only place where the ship is in a National Park.

Just curious, I was hoping to enjoy the glacier bay day on my balcony to avoid crowds. Thoughts on this? Would I not be able to get the commentary?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You may be able to hear the commentary but you will miss the calving of the glaciers unless you are very lucky. There's no telling on which side of the ship and at what time the glaciers will calve. It's pretty spectacular to watch. I plan to be up top where I can see all around.