Argh, tipping.

I had very similar questions to you, before my first cruise and also before (and during!) my trip to the USA. Even with all my research, I still found tipping really awkward, especially the "how", like in Denny's when I was paying cash ... just leaving the whole lot on the table and walking out - what, does no one steal it? I always felt in a quandary!

Anyway, for the cruise, it was Carnival so no gratuities at all, and we could have left without tipping anyone, but I wanted to leave one for my steward. I left it in the room in an envelope on the desk addressed to him on debarkation day ($50). We had ATD and different waiters each night so I didn't tip any, but on the upcoming we have traditional dining so will plan for about $20 each.

I don't really drink, but if I spent a lot of time with a bartender and he/she was great, I might feel inclined to leave a tip on the last day, maybe $20.

No prepaid tipping on Carnival? I usually tip the something extra on all my cruises. Carnival I prepaid them and gave a little extra for my wait staff. In fact I have never been on a cruise, that I do not have tips added or paid prior to boarding. I cruise as a US citizen.

But if my steward maintains a high level of excellent service, and my waitstaff treat me as a queen. They get extra on top of the daily service fees. I live in Spain tipping is not at the standard of the US, sometimes not even expected. So when I booked a Spanish cruise line I maintained my routine.

For the lady that was concerned about how much, even if it is included the new tipping is approx 13$ for non suites and about 16$ for suites per person (USD). That of course is divided between different areas. So if you found your steward or butler excessively helpful a little extra won't hurt. Dining staff, I always use traditional Dining. I travel solo, and like to get together with a familiar group at the end of the day. I was forced to do ATD on a cruise once, I find the level of service is just not the same. It's like when you have your favorite restaurant and your favorite waiter.

When I travel back to the US the tipping thing also blows my mind. It's everywhere just like the cruise ship. The massage, the hairdresser the drinks, and the alternate dining venues.

I like tipping questions it shows me that people are considerate of others.

No prepaid tipping on Carnival? I usually tip the something extra on all my cruises. Carnival I prepaid them and gave a little extra for my wait staff. In fact I have never been on a cruise, that I do not have tips added or paid prior to boarding. I cruise as a US citizen.

For Australians and New Zealanders, cruising on our local ships - Carnival Australia, P&O Australia and Princess ships that are based down here, there are no daily gratuities. They are essentially built into the fares.

Of course if someone chooses to reward a crew member for exceptional service it is always welcome.

Right now cant be bothered reading any of the usual shi'ite postings.

Butler delivered third bottle of "complimentary" champagne with this evenings canapes, and the neighbours gave us theirs from boarding.

Maybe I over did the tip last time, but what should I tip now?!!

[quote name='Adidas4fun']Right now cant be bothered reading any of the usual shi'ite postings.

Butler delivered third bottle of "complimentary" champagne with this evenings canapes, and the neighbours gave us theirs from boarding.

Maybe I over did the tip last time, but what should I tip now?!![/QUOTE]

What ever your heart and wallet desires. Enjoy your cruise!![emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

[quote name='Adidas4fun']Right now cant be bothered reading any of the usual shi'ite postings.

Maybe I over did the tip last time, but what should I tip now?!![/quote]

Which, the butler or the neighbours?

[quote name='MicCanberra']I think it is much worse than formal nights, although some cruise lines have tried to settle the argument for us on both issues.[/QUOTE]

Personally I dont see the issue, leave the autos on, pay extra IF you won't. Follow the dress code, how hard is it, and many people say I'm a bit of a rebel.

[quote name='mrs and mrs']Dont look sideways 2 more threads started today,one called gratuities and the other called tipping,this thread seems to be petering out so might look at what other rebels are saying.Like listen to new ideas ya know;;)[/QUOTE]

Yep never a lack of tipping threads, but I'd never get involved.

Same same,mirth and merryment.
im waiting for someone to comment on our time clock,its a new one,saves space to.in all honesty i cant for the life of me figure how to get it right,copy,paste,click,paste,redo,copy,paste,useless,might have to start a new thread called.How do ya ?????

[quote name='mrs and mrs']Same same,mirth and merryment.
im waiting for someone to comment on our time clock,its a new one,saves space to.in all honesty i cant for the life of me figure how to get it right,copy,paste,click,paste,redo,copy,paste,useless,might have to start a new thread called.How do ya ?????[/QUOTE]

Not working.

[quote name='mrs and mrs']Not working at all,sitting here wishing i was grinding out the $100 a night on the blackjack table,that usually pays for half the cruise,Slow,Slow night mmmmh[/QUOTE]

Sorry mrs' meant your sig isn't working.

[quote name='mrs and mrs']Dont look sideways 2 more threads started today,one called gratuities and the other called tipping,this thread seems to be petering out so might look at what other rebels are saying.Like listen to new ideas ya know;;)[/QUOTE]

Yes and no,
Yes, there will always be more threads.
No they don't reveal anything new.