Argh, tipping.

We tipped every few times we had room service.

Seemed only one or two people delivered it anyway, so $5 one delivery, skip a few $5 next delivery, seemed to work out fair enough to us. Even though I don't claim that it was 100% fair, to be frank some days we had no cash, or only big notes.

Do you get an awkward pause after they give you the food - as if they are waiting for the tip before they leave?

Do you get an awkward pause after they give you the food - as if they are waiting for the tip before they leave?

Actually the opposite.

If we didn't have it out ready they were gone before we could grab it.

It was probably day 7 before we had anything smaller than a $50, six of the first seven days were at sea.

so basically us Aussies who have to prepay, end up tipping twice and those that dont prepay , tip once.

we just got off the Solstice on a Nz to Aus cruise and the service towards Aussies was noticeably lacking.... they know that most Aussies dont give extra because of the prepay... and so they do NOT go the extra mile...

its very obvious in the dining room , the service and food was disgusting compared to our many other cruises around the world where we gave not prepaid our tips.

so basically us Aussies who have to prepay, end up tipping twice and those that dont prepay , tip once.

we just got off the Solstice on a Nz to Aus cruise and the service towards Aussies was noticeably lacking.... they know that most Aussies dont give extra because of the prepay... and so they do NOT go the extra mile...

its very obvious in the dining room , the service and food was disgusting compared to our many other cruises around the world where we gave not prepaid our tips.

On Solstice you only had to prepay the gratuities if you had Select dining and all passengers who booked Select dining had to prepay, not just Australians. I believe Celebrity have now removed that requirement.

Many of those who don't prepay their gratuities ie who have them added to their onboard account daily also give extra in cash, including Australians.

We found the service on our Solstice cruise over Christmas was generally very good for dinner and lunch, but not so good at breakfast - mostly due to the way they organised the breakfast service. We prefer traditional dining for dinner though.

On Solstice you only had to prepay the gratuities if you had Select dining and all passengers who booked Select dining had to prepay, not just Australians. I believe Celebrity have now removed that requirement.

Many of those who don't prepay their gratuities ie who have them added to their onboard account daily also give extra in cash, including Australians.

We found the service on our Solstice cruise over Christmas was generally very good for dinner and lunch, but not so good at breakfast - mostly due to the way they organised the breakfast service. We prefer traditional dining for dinner though.

I've only been on one Celebrity cruise so far (Century) and to be honest I had no problems at all with the service I thought it was great. Never had a complaint in all mt Princess Cruises with service either, maybe I'm easy pleased.

we only got off 2 weeks ago.

our Canadian friends are still on. they did not prepay and are select.

it has not been removed

the first night was super embarrassing , we dined with them

the servers got every course wrong. and poured the wrong wine in his glass on top of something different

we left him demanding for the maitre de whilst banging his fist on the table because the service was soooooo bad

another couple had no cutlery( a different nt) we were exactly opposite the servers station, one tried to get their attention,,, they saw her and ignored her..so we all waved..they just looked away.

Edited by jannandjohn

it has not been removed

the servers got every course wrong. and poured the wrong wine in his glass on top of something different

we left him demanding for the maitre de whilst banging his fist on the table because the service was soooooo bad

another couple had no cutlery( a different nt) we were exactly opposite the servers station, one tried to get their attention,,, they saw her and ignored her..so we all waved..they just looked away.

But how long ago did you book? If you disembarked two weeks ago you would have paid the final payment in November or December, right? I think the requirement for prepaid grats came off after then.

So the poor service was not just to Australians, it was also to Canadians?

Our experience was completely the opposite to yours, particularly from our sommelier. There was only one night where the table wasn't fully set when we arrived - I think that was either Christmas Eve (Elegant Chic night) or Christmas Day and I assumed the first sitting had taken a little longer than usual given the occasion. It was quickly rectified.

Sad that you had a bad experience but I doubt it was targeted at you as Australians.

I'm sorry, I know it's been done to death but the multiple train wreck threads on here have only served to leave me more flummoxed, so I'm seeking your advice.

Here are the irrefutables we don't need to argue about:

- I'm on an AU based ship so grats are included in the fare

- I *will* be giving key service staff and additional tip

- I am shy, have some deep seated awkwardness about my privilege vs that of the people serving me, and feel very squicky about the whole tipping thing

I'd like to be prepared, as I wouldn't be carrying AUD for any other purpose than this, so am hoping you can offer some advice on the following:

Who are the key staff one would normally tip? I think I've read that the minimum is steward, head waiter, assistant waiter, anyone else? How familiar does one need to get with a bar or other occasional server before they end up on the end-of-cruise tip list?

Room service is paid as you go, and $2 per delivery will do, is that correct? Is there a way I can do this discreetly, ie. is there a folio to sign where I can tuck the coin or am I going to have to press it into the person's hand?

Could you offer me your views on a $$ range for each role, based on 2 passengers x 12 nights, which is neither offensively low nor ostentatiously high? (In AUD and assuming service is to the expected standard.)

I *really* hate this stuff and am very shy, how can I do this with the least amount of awkwardness? An envelope with thank you note in the room on departure for the steward? How about the waiters, can I leave an envelope on the table on our last night or do I really need to hand deliver?

Arrrgghhh it's keeping me awake at night, please help!

No need to over think it, as gratuities are paid, you only tip more if you deem it is required for excellent or extra service or what I term as 'Service above and beyond'. This may be a one off experience or it may be a whole of cruise experience. So for a standard 14 day cruise, we would possibly tip extra to the Room steward $20-$50 depending on how demanding we felt we were. The waiter team may receive similar, again also depending on how good they were but also if we were with the same waiters for a lot of nights (we normally dine ATD/Select or My time dining). The Maitre De' if they looked after us and made sure of short waits and good tables. Particular staff ranging from Bar staff, loyalty hosts, café staff, activity staff, other waiters or even the bathroom attendants may all come in for a small tip ($5,$10 or $20) or just a koala, it all depends on the service provided especially to us.:D

This is a useful thread and very interesting. i do have a question--why do people say give/leave the tip the last night (in an envelope or not). This is mostly about tips for the cabin steward. In the past, I have left a tip in an envelope on the last day, as we vacate the cabin. The only reason i can think of to do it the night before is so the steward can thank you, but I don't really need that.

What am I missing?

ML

Sometimes you do not see the people you want to tip as it is a changeover day and they are very busy It is easier to do it the night before when they are doing their normal routines.

Definitely not in my experience. Obviously some are better than others but most do more than what is required and will try and please the passengers.

it has not been removed

Sounds more like some bad services rather than anything to do with pre paid tips or nationality.

I really do not like the whole tipping thing. I think it started as a thank you for good service and then slowly came to be expected. It seems that employers take the tips into account and pay their employees less, so they rely on the tips. You are obliged to add the xx% on just for ordinary service and you cop it if you don't pay.

It would just be easier to pay people the correct wage in the first place as they do in the civilised world.

I had very similar questions to you, before my first cruise and also before (and during!) my trip to the USA. Even with all my research, I still found tipping really awkward, especially the "how", like in Denny's when I was paying cash ... just leaving the whole lot on the table and walking out - what, does no one steal it? I always felt in a quandary!

Anyway, for the cruise, it was Carnival so no gratuities at all, and we could have left without tipping anyone, but I wanted to leave one for my steward. I left it in the room in an envelope on the desk addressed to him on debarkation day ($50). We had ATD and different waiters each night so I didn't tip any, but on the upcoming we have traditional dining so will plan for about $20 each.

I don't really drink, but if I spent a lot of time with a bartender and he/she was great, I might feel inclined to leave a tip on the last day, maybe $20.

service was bad because they knew our tips were prepaid.

Then you make sure the cruise line knows all about it and let them ream out their staff. Cruise staff are terrified of bad feedback.

Or you never go back.

The pre-paid gratuity functions as a labour surcharge, bringing the wages of staff up to reasonable levels without attracting payroll taxes.

If you tip beyond that, what you are essentially doing is bidding against other passengers for the services of the crew. Services they are meant to provide to you anyway as part of their job. Ensuring that they spend more effort on the big payers and less effort on those who pay less. Which is a pointless effort since there is always going to be someone who will outbid you.

If that is the sort of cruise people want, have at it.

Edited by SinbadThePorter

I really do not like the whole tipping thing. I think it started as a thank you for good service and then slowly came to be expected. It seems that employers take the tips into account and pay their employees less, so they rely on the tips. You are obliged to add the xx% on just for ordinary service and you cop it if you don't pay.

It would just be easier to pay people the correct wage in the first place as they do in the civilised world.

There are plenty of civilised countries that still incorporate a tipping structure.

service was bad because they knew our tips were prepaid.

You seem to have a major misconception about how the daily gratuities are handled on Solstice. In effect ALL gratuities are paid automatically, either by being prepaid when you book (and for Australians this can actually save you money if the exchange rate worsens leading up to your cruise), OR as daily hotel charges UNLESS a passenger goes to guest services and asks for the daily hotel charges to be removed,. If they do remove the charges, and under your surmise that all the crew you come in contact with know how each passenger handles the gratuities, then those passengers would be the ones getting the bad service if it was done deliberately.

Yes, you had a couple of bad experiences. Mistakes happen. Get over it. That sort of thing happens on all cruise lines, airlines, hotels, luxury rail trips, restaurants and in any other service-related industry.

Yes, you had a couple of bad experiences. Mistakes happen. Get over it. That sort of thing happens on all cruise lines, airlines, hotels, luxury rail trips, restaurants and in any other service-related industry.

i do know how it works after 21 overseas cruises. we have had prepaids before with not an ounce of trouble. its being in Aus waters that was the problem they know what Most Aussies think about tips ( not us. we tip extra) and not having the same waiter each night, when its select they know you will probably not be with them the next night.

there were 2 queues to get in the dining room

select and non select. the waiters know who is who

and you have no idea what happened to us. at all.

it was a daily occurrence. not a oncer. it has turned us off cruising for life

Edited by jannandjohn

clairebearinaus

its not worth losing sleep over. We have cruised on 'Australian' ships and overseas and while it is somehting we arent used to in our daily life it was easily picked up along the way. No one will think badly of you if you dont give any additional tips or if you tip less than the people in the cabin next door.

Relax and enjoy your trip :)

BTW, do I 'know' you from some different chat boards?

i do know how it works after 21 overseas cruises. we have had prepaids before with not an ounce of trouble. its being in Aus waters that was the problem they know what Most Aussies think about tips ( not us. we tip extra) and not having the same waiter each night, when its select they know you will probably not be with them the next night.

there were 2 queues to get in the dining room

select and non select. the waiters know who is who

and you have no idea what happened to us. at all.

it was a daily occurrence. not a oncer. it has turned us off cruising for life

So it's not a issue with staff giving poor service to Aussies who have prepaid their grats - as all passengers dining in Select must have prepaid their grats too and, from my experience on Solstice, those passengers will have come from all over the world.

You now claim it is a problem with the ship because it is sailing in Australasia. I find that hard to believe. Don't get me wrong, I'm not doubting you had bad service but I am doubting that the ship being in this part of the world is the reason for it. It may have been for a number of reasons including poor management of that dining room, and possibly the time you dined each night ie during or just after a busy period.

No I don't know what happened to you but I did experience some bad service on Solstice in the MDR at breakfast so I do know that ship does have some issues. Since it was at breakfast there was no correlation with prepaid gratuities or otherwise, it was purely poor organisation and management. It certainly didn't affect our cruise, in fact it became a running joke between myself and DH. Perhaps if it was dinner it would have been more annoying. Did you discuss your issues with the Maitre'd? There are so many alternative dining options on Solstice, or maybe you should have considered seeing if you could have switched to Traditional Dining. The service there was very good on our cruise.

But you still haven't really explained your statement "so basically us Aussies who have to prepay, end up tipping twice and those that dont prepay , tip once." Everyone who prepays can choose to give extra tips. Everyone who doesn't prepay and has the gratuities charged to their account daily can also choose to give extra tips. It doesn't matter what their nationality is. The only people who only tip once (or never) are those that request the daily hotel charges be removed from their account and, again, those people could be any nationality, not just non-Aussies.

Allowing one bad experience to turn you off cruising for life is like cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ